ChanKai

15 Days to New Year

ChanKai 

Mistletoe AU

Prompt: Jongin wanted a kiss from Chanyeol, yet he got one from everyone else's.

 

It's supposed to be an easy and foolproof plan, when Jongin decides to plant a mistletoe right in front of the front door. He knows that Chanyeol always arrive late, usually 20-30 minutes after the party has started. It was easy to estimate the timing, and to only place the mistletoe by that time.

 

When the clock strikes 7:20 pm, Jongin sneaks out without alerting his brothers. He doesn't want Minseok nor Jongdae to ruin their first kiss. He quickly hooks the mistletoe onto the ceiling before going back inside. He hovers by the door from that point on, ignoring Junmyeon's curious looks.


 

1.

 

It's a long wait before the first bell. By that time, Jongin is in another room before he remembers the mistletoe plan. He bails on his promise on setting the table, ignoring Jongdae's squawk of protests.

 

As he swings open the door, he doesn't expect to see Sehun in front of him. He gapes open his mouth, about to complain, when he notices Chanyeol behind the younger. He's tempted on waving hi to the elder, but Sehun is blocking his view.

 

“What?” Sehun asks annoyedly.

 

“Nothing,” Jongin grumbles before letting the younger in.

 

“Whoa, wait,” Junmyeon yells out from inside. “There's a mistletoe in the doorway. You gotta kiss before you enter. Tradition rules.”

 

Sehun makes a disgusted expression before Jongin loudly disagree wholeheartedly.

 

“It's a stupid tradition!”

 

“No, it's not,” Junmyeon scowls.

 

“Jongin,” this time Minseok interjects. “It's just a quick peck. Don't be a grinch.”

 

Jongin really hates how his brothers use the word 'grinch’ as an insult.

 

“How about to the cheek?” Jongin bargains.

 

Unfortunately, Sehun seems to not care about Jongin’s issue with this. He grabs the elder's cheeks and plants a quick one to his lips. Jongin gapes at him in shock, and Sehun takes the opportunity to enter.

 

Chanyeol seems to find the situation funny as he sends Jongin a crooked smile before entering after Sehun. Jongin doesn't know if he should be upset at Sehun or Chanyeol now. Both of them are ruining his plan. He can only grab the stupid mistletoe off the ceiling as he storms off in a huff.


 

2.

 

The next try is when most of the guests are already seated in the table. Jongin makes an excuse to check on the food, knowing that Chanyeol has gone to the bathroom. He searches quickly for which bathroom in the house, and finds the second floor to be occupied. He places the mistletoe while no one is around, and waits patiently for Chanyeol to come out.

 

It doesn't take long to hear the familiar sound of toilet flushing, and the rattle of the door. Jongin anticipates, and the moment is gone once he sees Yixing’s face in front of him.

 

“Oh, sorry, did you wait long?” The elder asks.

 

Jongin can only groan in disappointment before stomping his foot like a little kid.

 

“Why are you in the bathroom? Chanyeol was supposed to be inside.”

 

“Oh, maybe he went to the one downstairs,” Yixing says unsurely.

 

Jongin groans again and is about to leave, when Yixing grabs his arm.

 

“Look, mistletoe,” the elder states with too much amusement.

 

Jongin chuckles nervously before ripping the mistletoe off the ceiling.

 

“Jongdae must have put it in weird places. There was one in front door too. Let's just ignore it.”

 

“No, I can't,” the elder just had to say. “He'll be upset if no one's falling for his tricks.”

 

“He doesn't have to know,” the younger insists.

 

“I'd still know. It's a harmless kiss, Jongin,” the elder reassures before pulling the younger closer.

 

Despite their height differences, Yixing is strong enough to pull him close, and the way the elder holds him, Jongin finally understands why his brother always get flustered in Yixing's arms. The elder knows how to put on the charms.

 

It’s a gentle kiss, as if Jongin will break into pieces, and the tenderness in his touch catches Jongin off guard.

 

They only break off once he hears Jongdae's loud yell.

 

Hey!”

 

The younger isn't sure if Jongdae will kill him or mutilate his dog plushies. Either way, he needs to beg for forgiveness, fast.

 

“Hyung, I…” Jongin starts to stammer.

 

“There was a mistletoe,” Yixing tells Jongdae with a smile, before pulling Jongdae closer.

 

“Huh?” Jongdae looks confused by that admission. “Anyway, Minseok wants you both downstairs already.”

 

“Oh, thank God,” Jongin mutters. He can relax now since Jongdae didn't see the kiss.

 

“Let's go, Nini,” Jongdae calls him by his old nickname. Jongin cringes at the nickname. “You can trick people into kissing you more later.”

 

Jongin widens his eyes as he thought Jongdae didn't see anything.

 

“I thought…”

 

Please, I'm not Joonmyeon,” Jongdae sasses before grabbing Yixing’s arm to pull him closer. “And you owe me a mistletoe kiss later.”

 

“Of course,” Yixing agrees before pecking his cheek.

 

Jongin groans in frustration and sulks his way back into the first floor.


 

3.

 

His third try is when Chanyeol volunteers to take another bottle of wine from the basement. Jongin pretends to go to the bathroom before placing himself strategically in front of the basement’s entrance. This time, it's not a long wait as he finally hears footsteps approaching and he takes a deep breath for courage.

 

The moment he sees a figure coming out, he immediately lifted the mistletoe above his head.

 

“You know, you made my lips very lonely tonight,” Jongin tells him in a very sultry voice.

 

Imagine his surprise once he notices that it's Yifan in front of him, not Chanyeol. The taller seems shocked by the words, and Jongin can feel an intense level of embarrassment.

 

“Jongin,” Yifan finally replies after a long awkward silence. “I’m flattered, but I love Junmyeon. I'm sorry.”

 

“No!” Jongin denies. “I didn't mean to say it to you…” the younger starts to say.

 

Unfortunately, they're interrupted by Junmyeon.

 

“Baby, did you find it?” Junmyeon asks before noticing Jongin also. “Oh, there you are. You keep disappearing, and Minseok keeps asking where you went.”

 

“Just around here,” Jongin says nervously while Yifan avoids eye contacts with the younger. “I'll go see what he wants.”

 

The younger immediately runs away, before Junmyeon can figure out what happened.

 

His luck must be extremely horrible since he keeps finding the wrong people.


 

4.

 

His bad luck doesn't end as Yifan informs him later on that Junmyeon knows. Jongin resists the temptation to strangle Yifan, for the sake of Junmyeon’s happiness. He doesn't understand why his brother had to know when nothing really happened.

 

Funnily, Junmyeon doesn't mind Jongin's ”confession”, claiming that Nini always had multiple crushes on his brother's boyfriends. Jongin would take offense to it, but he's just glad Junmyeon won’t get mad.

 

To make it more complicated, Junmyeon demands that they finish the mistletoe tradition. He even threatens Yifan to do it or there's no Christmas gift for the taller. Jongin knows that the gift is most likely .

 

The next thing he knows is Yifan cornering him to the wall as the taller looks upset at him.

 

“Just so you know, this means nothing to me. It's just a Christmas gift that I'll be giving to you, so Junmyeon won't get mad,” Yifan had to say first.

 

Jongin opens his mouth to argue, but is momentarily silenced by the press of another lips.

 

Unlike Yixing's, Yifan isn't gentle. The elder grabs his shoulder, forcing him to stay, and roughly tilts the younger's face before placing a kiss. It lasts a few seconds, but it's enough to shock Jongin.

 

“Um,” Jongin mumbles, dazed in his mind from the sudden movement.

 

“Now, remember, I am not returning any feelings, and I better not see you stealing any of my clothes to sleep with,” the taller threatens before leaving in a rush.

 

Jongin doesn't know why the elder would say those things, but he doesn't try to argue. Instead, he tries to find mouthwash or soap so he can cleanse his lips again.

 

By the time his lips are “pure”, Jongin finds himself being cornered again, this time by Luhan.

 

“What the hell, Kim?” Luhan demands.

 

Luhan may look like a lost animal, but his anger is a wrath on its own.

 

“I had to find out from Jongdae that you're giving your brother's boyfriends kisses as Christmas gifts, and I'm last?! I should be first! It should be an honor to learn how to kiss from an expert,” the elder rants.

 

Jongin can't even argue since Luhan immediately shoves him backward to the wall. He forces Jongin’s face to tilt before pressing his lips gently into him. Luhan's method seems to be a mix of Yixing and Yifan since his kiss is softer than Yifan’s hard press.

 

“There,” Luhan says proudly when they part.

 

The elder doesn't give Jongin a chance to reply as he walks away. The younger can only stand dumbfounded as he tries to process what the hell happened.


 

5.

 

It's not long before words spread, that Jongin likes to kiss all of his brothers boyfriends and that the younger may have a crush on Yifan.

 

“You have a crush on me too, right?” Luhan asks threateningly.

 

“I suppose since it's Christmas, I won’t scold you today,” Minseok tells him with a disappointment tone.

 

“So, he kissed everyone but Chanyeol?” Sehun comments with a raised eyebrow. “See man, I told you to brush your teeth before bed.”

 

Chanyeol only glares at him in response before giving him the middle finger.

 

Jongin doesn't know what to say. He's speechless. He can't believe that Chanyeol is getting the wrong ideas and that Yifan actually believes that he likes him. Jongin decides to sit down instead, too confused on how to explain.

 

“Okay... let's get back to the festivities,” Junmyeon tells them, giving Jongin a break.

 

It's presents opening time. It's always been secret santa theme for the Kim brothers. They don't let their significant others join in this tradition. In a rare chance, Jongin picked Minseok's name this year, unlike the previous years where it's always been Jongdae or Junmyeon.

 

“Minseok's first!” Luhan yells loudly, as if he will get the present. Jongin can't help but roll his eyes at that.

 

Minseok is easy to shop for. He always prefers food than anything else. Luckily, Jongin manages to find a rare flavor of his favorite snack, and the look in Minseok’s face is worth it. Luhan doesn't find it as awesome. He loudly boos before Minseok forces him to shut up.

 

“Who has me?” Junmyeon asks next.

 

“I do,” Minseok tells him before grabbing the gift from behind the chair.

 

After that, Jongdae is next and Junmyeon is the one that gives his present. The final present is for Jongin, and the younger actually looks forward to this tradition every year.

 

“Here,” Jongdae tells him as he shoves a paper into Jongin's hands.

 

It's a map, specifically a map to a treasure, as if Jongin is five. The younger doesn't know what to say to this.

 

“A map?” He ends up asking in disbelief.

 

“Don’t diss it until you find it,” Jongdae complains.

 

“Yes. I’m sure it won't be a treasure chest.” Jongin deadpans, completely unimpressed.

 

“Guys….” Minseok starts to warn. “Just see what it is already.”

 

Jongin relents and walks off to the destination.

 

It's ridiculous that Jongdae writes ‘20 steps from the kitchen’ or 'your next clue is under the sugar cup’. Though, he has to give some points on the complexity of the hunt.

 

In the end, he ends up in the front of his bedroom’s door, and he wonders how Jongdae manages to hide his present inside. As he enters, he notices a familiar face sitting on the bed, looking amused by the situation.

 

“Hey!” Chanyeol greets him, waves and then pats the bed, inviting him to sit.

 

“Um, what are you doing here?”

 

“I don't know. Jongdae says to give you the final clue in person. So….I was just waiting,” Chanyeol shrugs.

 

“Oh,” Jongin replies nervously. “What's the final clue?”

 

“Oh!” Chanyeol takes out the paper in his pocket before handing it over. “Sorry, he said not to look at it or my rilakkuma will mysteriously disappear.”

 

Jongin smiles at that silly reason.

 

“But Jongdae doesn't know where you live.”

 

Hey, I love them as much as you love your puppies. I don't take threats lightly.”

 

Jongin giggles uncharacteristically before opening the paper and reading Jongdae's next clue.

 

Your gift is right in front of you. Unwrap it slowly ;)

 

Jongin blushes heavily from reading the message and he can feel Chanyeol's heavy stare on him.

 

“What did it say?”

 

“Nothing!” He replies with flustered face.

 

“Are you sure? Because you look a little red.”

 

“Yes,” the younger insists. “Jongdae gave me a stupid clue. I'll just tell him to give me the present already.”

 

“Oh, what kind of joke did he write?”

 

“Nothing important,” Jongin tells him before scrunching the paper and shoving it inside his pocket. “Let's go back downstairs.”

 

“Oh,” Chanyeol replies, looking confused. “Well, I hope the present is worth all the chase. After the kind of day you had, I'd have been upset.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Knowing your crush will never like you back. That must .”

 

“What?” Jongin squeaks, nervously wondering if Chanyeol knows about the infatuation.

 

“The thing with Yifan?”

 

“No! That was all a misunderstanding. I don't like him, nor any of my brother's boyfriends.”

 

“Oh,” Chanyeol lamely replies before smiling widely. “That's great. Your admirers still have a chance with you.”

 

“I don't have any,” the younger blushes. “I've never even dated.”

 

“Really?” The elder asks in wide eyes. “But you're so popular! You don't like anyone then?”

 

“Oh, um, I guess I do like someone, but I don't think he likes me. He's always friendly with everyone.”

 

“Then he doesn't understand what cute is,” Chanyeol chuckles. “Don't worry, just be yourself. I'm sure he'll notice you, as long as you don't ask his siblings to help you. Turns out, they're not as nice as they seem.”

 

“At least you didn't use mistletoe as part of your plan,” Jongin laughs awkwardly at his own joke.

 

There's a crooked smile in Chanyeol's face that the younger has memorized so many times. He takes a picture for memory before opening his bedroom's door. He’s about to leave when Chanyeol grabs his arm. He looks backward and is about to ask when the elder points to the ceiling.

 

It's the mistletoe that Jongin has been using the whole night, this time hung on the ceiling.

 

“I hope you don't mind. I'm really for traditions,” Chanyeol tells him.

 

Jongin couldn't care less if it's tradition or his feelings for the reason, he'd have gone for the kiss without Chanyeol’s permission. No one said the younger would follow the rules.

 

Unlike the previous times where Jongin’s lips are invaded, the younger decides to make the first move instead. He doesn't hesitate when he steps closer or when he gently pulls Chanyeol's head down. It's soft, a gentle press as if he's unsure after being  confident. Yet, Chanyeol pulls him back into his arms and kisses back hard. The warmth of his arms and the dizzying sensation as nothing else matters for the moment.

 

When Jongin steps back, he doesn't expect to stumble a little and be a bit breathless before Chanyeol catches him. The elder his lips and Jongin resists himself from kissing it again.


That experience was different and so unlike the other kisses he has shared. Maybe it's bias to think it's the best, but seeing the happy look in Chanyeol's face is worth it.