Pt. 9

Make It Work

Wonwoo brought his lips together as he realized he had them slightly opened for a while. He took a quick glance behind him. Thankfully, you and Mingyu were too immersed at the light show they were putting on in one of the tanks; he needed some time to talk with the stranger in private.

Wonwoo looked back at her and shook her hand. “Hi."

Her eyes got busy taking in the little round blobs of jelly floating around in their colored tanks, her gaze landing on Wonwoo last. She studied him with great interest and smiled. “I can see that you’re surprised.”

“Surprised is an understatement.”

“I know. Although, I believe you need my help.”

“Yes, uh…you said you were…”

“Your date for today,” she nodded.

“Looks like I actually heard it right.”

“Hey, Wonwoo!”

Whatever protective bubble that surrounded Wonwoo and the girl has now popped, not to mention the chance for him to call Jeonghan’s plan off.


You walked towards them with Mingyu right behind you, your eyes immediately giving the newcomer a once-over. She was sporting a black off-shoulder top and a white knee length skirt that looked nice with her long legs, her long brown curls resting beautifully on her collarbones. Even from a glance, you could tell that she was older but it wasn’t from her appearance—it was the kind, beautiful, and mature aura she had and the way she composed herself.

“Who’s this?” you asked, your eyes still studying the stranger.

Wonwoo cursed in his head. What a basic thing to ask and such a basic answer he lacked.

“I’m Hyein, Wonwoo’s date,” she said, taking the empty spot beside Wonwoo. “Sorry, I’m late. There was an emergency and I had to go for a while.”

“It’s okay. At least, Wonwoo isn’t third wheeling anymore,” Mingyu teased. “I know you just got here but should we go get lunch? Wonwoo can introduce you to us.”

“Yeah,” you quipped, taking a hard look at Hyein. “It’ll be the highlight of the day.”

Wonwoo looked at the three different people he was with: the person he likes, the person who likes who he likes, and the person who he's supposed to like. A cold sweat ran down his back as he forced a smile. “Why not?”

 

"So you go to school with Jeonghan-hyung, huh?" Mingyu asked Hyein before taking a seat next to you while Wonwoo and Hyein sat together. After a few minutes of looking for a place to eat, you finally found the small food court inside the park. Except for Mingyu who spent a good 3 minutes looking at the menu, everyone else seemed to have something else in their minds other than food.

Hyein smiled. "Yes. We’ve had and still have some classes together since entering uni."

"What's your major?"

"I’m a double major in Psychology and Business."

“A double major?” you asked.

“Yes!”

You saw the twinkle in her eyes as she answered the question, a sure inclination that she’s eager to talk more about it. The corner of your lips tugged upward and you rested your cheek on the back of your hand as you changed the subject. "How old are you?"

Her shoulders slumped noticeably that you had to bite the inside of your cheeks hard to keep you from smiling.

"I’m the same age as Hannie."

“You said earlier that you’re his date. Then you’re actually aware that this is a date?”

“I am. Aren’t you?”

Somewhere, you felt one of your nerves twitch. Not only was she being smart with you but she’s actually good and it didn’t help that you saw a ghost of a smile from Wonwoo.

"Then you are aware why Wonwoo invited you? Why he’s on a date with you? Do you know him? Actually know him?" 

“Y/n,” Wonwoo started but Hyein was already answering.

"Quite. Hannie's told me about him and I've met him twice."

"Really? Wonwoo told me he's only seen you once," you cocked your head to the side as a click went off in your brain. "Come to think of it, what he said didn't really made sense. He said he's only seen you once but he also said you've known each other for a while.” You turned to Wonwoo and raised an eyebrow seeing how his eyes seemed to be busy darting around. “Wonwoo?"

"You still remember that?"

Mingyu glanced at you with wary eyes, his lips pursed into a thin line.

“Dude. That was just five days ago.”

The smell of freshly cooked burgers and seasoned chicken wafted towards your table making you break eye contact with Wonwoo. A waiter stood beside you with everyone’s food and placed them according to their owners. The sound of the plates being set on the surface along with the chatter of the other customers seemed to be amplified in your now silent table. 

No one was talking. No one was even looking at each other as you ate. It was like those in the movies when you’re eating dinner with your in-laws. You shook your head. No. This is more uncomfortable and much worse.

Halfway through, Mingyu cleared his throat. “What about your hobbies? Anything similar you share with Wonwoo-hyung?”

You eyed her for a second only to see her being all calm and collected. You clenched your teeth.

“Reading, watching movies...when I have time I go out and travel with friends but I usually just stay at home.”

“Ah. A female imitation of Jeon Wonwoo.”

"Excuse me?"

“Y/n,” Wonwoo started.

“I meant version. Female version. And your dislikes?”

“Not really a dislike. I find them really cute but I'm quite scared of dogs especially big ones.”

"Really? Me too!" Wonwoo exclaimed.

You rolled your eyes. "Yey. Fun." 

You stared right at your last bites of food, aware of how Wonwoo is probably looking at you at the moment. You raised your eyes and just as you imagined, he was looking straight at you with that piercing stare that you found interesting when used towards others but incredibly annoying (and somewhat familiar) when used on you. "What?”

Wonwoo stayed seated in silence. You shook your head and glanced at Mingyu’s empty plate. “We’re done eating. Let's go.”

We're not done eating yet,” Wonwoo said firmly.

“Hurry up then. We're wasting time.” You stood up and grabbed your bag while Mingyu finished his drink before following after you.

“I thought we’re doing this to know more about her?” he asked.

“I’m getting bored. I want to play.”

Back at the table, Wonwoo stared at you and Mingyu as you both walk away from them. He bit his lower lip before looking at Hyein who was quietly wrapping her ¼ sized burger with a table napkin. “I am really sorry about that.”

“It’s fine,” she said as she held her food for Wonwoo to see. “I’m almost done eating anyway and it’s fun reading her.”

“You’re reading her?”

Hyein shrugged. “Too easy. She’s like an open book.” She grabbed her bag and stood up. “Let’s go? I do want to see the rest of the park.”

And seeing the rest of the park, you all did. Everything was basically different species of sea creatures in different sized and decorated tanks but it was the activities that took everyone’s mind off of what happened during lunch. 

The sea lion and dolphin shows were the best distractions as you were all busy trying to keep yourselves dry from all the splashing. Even the fish spa managed to make you crack a smile as the fish tickled your feet.

You patted your feet dry with the small towels they gave you and noticed Wonwoo standing right in front of you. “You haven't answered my question yet.”

“Which one?”

“The how-you-guys-met-but-has-a-fishy-answer-to-it question,” you smiled sweetly at him, even batting your eyelashes for more sarcasm.

“Y/n. Please.”

"Oh actually, I've seen him twice,” Hyein said walking next to Wonwoo. “The first time was when he visited Hannie. The next time was when we actually met.”

“What a weird word you used then.”

“And about knowing each other for quite a while,” she continued, her smile unfazed, “we've only actually met once but that was a year ago. We've known each other since then. That’s probably what he meant. Right, Wonwoo?”

Wonwoo nodded before setting his gaze back on you. “Now can you please stop interviewing her like that and just enjoy the rest of the day?”

“Like what? I’m just asking questions.”

“No. You’re interrogating her.”

“I’m not!”

“Y/n,” he said, his voice getting low. “What’s happening with you?”

“I’m completely fine. I’m acting like how I always am. I’m not trying to put up a front for people to like me. I’m only acting like me! It’s her that’s acting weird!” you pointed at Hyein. “She’s being all nice and kind and mature and understanding. How annoying! Can’t you see? She’s acting exactly how the other one did! But then we found out that she’s not really what seems, didn’t we?”

“Why do you keep on bringing her up? That was ages ago!”

“But—”

Wonwoo took a hard look at you, straight right to your eyes before looking away. “You need to stop with your prejudice for others.”

You glared right at Wonwoo, willing your gaze to pierce through him, but he wasn’t even looking. Your fists tightened. “I’m going home.”

Hyein and Wonwoo turned to you but ignoring them was your next step. You passed by Mingyu and stopped beside him. “Are you going or are you staying?”

Mingyu took a look at your face and saw that you were red, the corners around your eyes and your cheeks in particular. He turned back at the two and shrugged. “I’ll walk you home.”

 

Wonwoo sat awkwardly at the bus stop with Hyein, his eyes staring sightlessly towards the other side of the road. “Thank you and sorry for today.”

“Why the apology?”

“You’ve seen how she acted. I’m used to it but…” he sighed. “I’m really sorry about that.”

“Please. I’ve met others that would make her look tame. Besides,” she let out a small laugh, “being part of that drama was kind of new and refreshing.”

“What?”

“I’m saying it was fun.”

“You’re not a masochist are you?”

Hyein raised the back of her hand in front of and laughed. “No. I’m not. But she wasn’t doing that without reason. I’m sure she loves you very much.”

“Huh?”

“You’re best friends aren’t you?” she said, giving Wonwoo a warm smile.

“Oh,” Wonwoo nodded reluctantly. “Right. We are.”

“There you are.”

A few feet from where they were seating was Jeonghan walking towards them with a content smile on his face. He raised an eyebrow at Wonwoo and shrugged. “I told you I’ll help you.”

“Well technically, I helped him,” Hyein said.

“Hey.”

“Yeah, yeah. Thanks, you two.” Wonwoo waved them off with a hand. “Don’t you two have somewhere else to go? Like a café or something?”

“A café?” Jeonghan asked. “Why?”

“I just feel like Hyein would like that after a tiring day. Won’t you, Hyein?”

Even while situated against the sun’s light, her cheeks were still noticeably pink as she responded with a slight nod. He's only talked with her briefly, but even in that short moment, he knew something was up. 

“Then let’s go to one," Jeonghan said. "Then you could both tell me how it went.”

Wonwoo shook his head and craned his neck in time to see the bus turn from a corner. “My bus is here. Hyein can tell you about it.”

The bus slowed to a stop right in front of Wonwoo and the doors opened. 

“Thank you again for your help. See you later.” 

Wonwoo got on the bus and walked towards an empty seat and sat. The bus was so busy that he didn't have to do anything to distract himself. He took a deep breath and slumped in his chair, resting his head against the top rail of the seat. While one problem got solved, another just got opened.

 

A lone dog barked from a neighboring house as Wonwoo walked the empty street. Getting off the stop before his own wasn't planned but it did help him empty himself of his negative emotions.

His house came into view when he saw a figure seated on his front step. "Mingyu?"

The seated figure looked up and smiled. "Hey."

"What are you still doing here?" Wonwoo glanced towards your house where your room is. Your light was still on. "She alright?"

"Yeah. She was sulking the whole ride. I don’t think you’ll want to hear the names she had for you."

Wonwoo sighed and sat beside the other. "This is so messed up. She probably felt humiliated," he shook his head. "But I know I'm right. She definitely knows that too."

"I'll give it a few days," Mingyu smiled. "It's not like this is the first time she's acted like this, right?"

"Yeah," Wonwoo stretched his legs towards the pavement, remembering the last time the two of you fought, or rather, how you got mad at him. It's been a while but he could clearly remember how you ignored him for a few days after almost failing in a group project with your other classmates.

“I'm your best friend. Why are you siding with them?” you exploded in frustration.

“I'm not siding with anyone,” Wonwoo said. “But I know you know you're the one in the wrong.”

“Whatever. I'm going home by myself.”

“Still, she should try and grow up a bit,” Wonwoo continued. “She can’t always be prejudiced against people she doesn’t know. We're almost college students. Handling and living through a diverse world like that? Adjusting to something that huge doesn't happen overnight.”

“What? So you're worried for her college life?”

“Of course!” Wonwoo paused and turned to look at Mingyu who was suppressing his laugh. “What is it?”

“She's right. You're really acting like her father...or older brother to be more age-accurate.”

“Yeah, well...”

“But it's like what you said,” Mingyu took a deep breath, “adjusting to something that huge doesn't happen overnight. Just give her time.”

"What is this? Why do you suddenly sound so mature?" Wonwoo joked but Mingyu's expression stayed the same.

"I don't think you have to worry much about her. She's got people looking out for her after all. Me included."

A slight wind breezed through the neighborhood making the temperature drop a bit. But even in the cold, Wonwoo can empathize perfectly with how Mingyu is feeling; it’s that warm feeling you have when you care for someone deeply.

"I really am serious about her, you know," Mingyu continued. "I'll give her my support in any way I can and I'll work hard for her to notice me."

"How random. Why are you telling me this?"

Mingyu placed his hand on Wonwoo's shoulder. "Adjusting doesn’t happen overnight. And you're her best friend. Naturally, I should let you know." Mingyu smiled and stood up, dusting the back of his pants. "I better go."

Wonwoo watched him walk away, wondering what he meant by that, until Mingyu stopped and turned back to him.

"Almost forgot," he smirked. "Good luck for the next few days. She’s still pretty pissed when we got here."

Wonwoo gave him a long look before shaking his head. "Just go home safely."

"Will do, Dad."

Wonwoo stayed seated until Mingyu disappeared from his view. He pursed his lips and turned to the direction of your room. They must've talked for a while since your lights were now turned off. 

He stood up and dusted his pants, taking another look down the street where Mingyu was. Things were getting a bit complicated and if he's going to be a little honest, he doesn't like it, not one bit.