Pt. 7

Make It Work

“Who?”

The fireworks were still ongoing with almost everyone focused on it. Muffled gasps and awws were heard along with distant booms from the fireworks’ explosions. The crowd in front has thickened, shielding you and the others from sight even with the help of the light illuminating everyone once in a while.

Wonwoo blinked, getting pulled from his thoughts, his eyes meeting Soonyoung’s with an expectant look on the other’s face. “What?”

“Who do you like?” he grinned.

“Like?”

“Yeah. You just said you think you like her,” Soonyoung glanced at the direction Wonwoo was looking at. “Who’s her?”

Wonwoo’s eyes turned round as Soonyoung’s question registered. “I didn’t say that. I didn’t say anything.“

Soonyoung’s eyes were locked on the same direction, searching for whoever ‘her’ is. His eyes turned wide as discs as recognition dawned on his face. “You can’t…”

“What?”

“You can’t like her.”

 “Why?”

“Man,” he shook his head. “Of all people huh?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Wonwoo glanced around, trying to find something – anything – as his escape. The thought of liking his best friend, the person he basically thinks of as his sister, was ridiculous. It’s simply unnatural. He needs to solve this before anyone else finds out, especially not Soonyoung. He’s a great friend. But sometimes, he gets too excited about things.

Soonyoung walked beside Wonwoo, his face scrunched up as he navigated the maze of people with ease…at least for someone who’s partially walking backwards. “I know it’s hard. But you really can’t like her. Get a hold of yourself.”

Wonwoo stopped in his tracks. “What…why do you keep on saying I can’t like her? Assuming I did liked someone,” he added the last one quickly.

Soonyoung sighed. “Soeun’s in a relationship with Wooshin, you punk. I’d support you if she weren’t but liking her like this will just hurt you.” He pressed his lips into a sympathetic smile, patting Wonwoo’s shoulder. “Sorry man.”

The noise of the crowd that fell briefly from Wonwoo’s ears came back to life. He hung his head just as Soonyoung continued comforting him. Letting a small chuckle escape his lips, he straightened back up with a relieved smile on his face.

Soonyoung’s smile fell when he saw the smile on the other’s face, his own expression turning to that of utter confusion. “What is it?”

Wonwoo shook his head, placing an arm around Soonyoung’s shoulder as he steered him to a new direction in silence.

Soonyoung searched his friend’s face, even more confused. “What is it?”


“And Soeun dragged me to this film club thing at school and at first I didn’t really want to because you know, so many new people but it was cool since we all minded our own businesses and the teacher was alright too and I’m reaaally considering…Wonwoo?” you turned to look at Wonwoo who was walking aimlessly beside. "Hey. Are you listening to me?”

Wonwoo’s eyelids drooped, his eyes looking tired more than ever, the dark circles under his eyes standing out from his pale face. Of course, it didn’t help that he had that empty look he usually has, walking slowly beside you uttering nothing at all. A few days have passed since your birthday. Since then, Wonwoo has been having…troubles.

“Jeon Wonwoo,” you nudged him.

“Huh?”

“You’re ignoring me again. Still having trouble sleeping?” you asked, stopping just a few feet from your houses.

Wonwoo shook his head softly. “Sorry. Just my body acting weird, I guess.”

You brought your hand over his forehead, your other hand on your own to check his temperature. He was warm but not the alarming kind which was to be expected; Wonwoo didn’t get sick easily. “Well, I have good news: one, you’re alive and two, you’re not a zombie.”

Your smile dissolved slowly. Usually, he’ll be laughing at this or probably be saying a smart comeback of how lame it was but there weren’t any reactions at all. You caught his gaze, his then empty expression replaced with something else. “What?”

Wonwoo continued to look, his eyes searching yours before shaking his head as if chasing off flying insects away and took a deep breath like one would after a tiring afternoon. “This is nuts,” he said though more to himself. “This is madness.”

“What is–”

“Nothing.“

“Wonwoo?”

You watched as he resumed walking, making his way towards his house before disappearing inside. You stood staring, wondering what’s happening to your best friend. “I’m coming over later for homework okay?”

Wonwoo stood behind his door, his eyes locked on the two figures sitting comfortably on his couch, a single word making its way to his mouth. “Why??”

Jeonghan chuckled, shifting on his seat without taking his eyes off the screen. “Not even a ‘how’, huh?”

“For the record, it was his idea,” Joshua nodded towards Jeonghan.

“Why are you two here??”

“Are you seriously not going to ask us how?”

Wonwoo’s eyes shifted to his spare key lying on the table and back at the two who were watching a show on the television like it was the most natural phenomenon ever. "Does everyone know where I keep my key?”

“Nah. We just guessed. You’re kinda predictable,” Joshua answered.

“Also, we’ve got 5 hours vacant time until our next class and your house was close,” Jeonghan said matter-of-factly. “Don’t worry. We brought you food. It’s on the counter.”

Wonwoo walked cautiously past the two, looking at them from the corner of his eye. Once he got to the counter, Wonwoo saw an empty box of takeout chicken just peeking out of the trash can, empty packets of snacks, and a huge bottle of soda. "I just emptied the trash this morning,” he grumbled.

“I heard that,” Jeonghan called.

“I meant to.” Wonwoo opened the brown bag and pulled out one more box of takeout chicken before waving it in the air. “Is this supposed to be payment for breaking in?”

“One, we didn’t break in. We used the key and the door like any civil human being. And two, yes. Enjoy.”

Wonwoo sighed, placing the box down on the counter. “Why are you guys really here?”

Jeonghan looked back, his lips and eyes smiling mischievously at Wonwoo. “You’re finally growing up. We can’t let this golden moment to pass.”

“What?”

“I think you know what,“ Jeonghan smiled, placing his hands over his heart. "Ah, young love.”

Wonwoo closed his eyes shut, memories of that night playing in his mind, one person standing out in particular. "Soonyoung?”

“Not exactly.”

“We did hear him talking to himself about it though,” Joshua added. "He seemed very concerned.”

“Must be Mingyu,” Jeonghan nodded.

“Well, whatever it is you heard, it’s not true.”

“Oh please. We know.”

“Look. One, I don’t even know her. Two, she has a boyfriend. And three, I’m not attracted to her at all,” he enumerated with his fingers. “We’re just mutual friends!”

“What are you talking about?”

“What am I talking–I’m saying I don’t like Soeun.”

Jeonghan and Joshua took their eyes off the screen, their gazes slowly meeting each other before Joshua turned to Wonwoo. “He thought you liked Soeun?”

“Yes,” he answered flatly before muttering to himself. “Soonyoung’s dead when I see him.”

“So he thought you liked Soeun but you told him it’s not true?”

“Yes and it really isn’t true. I don’t like Soeun like that.” The two continued to look at each other with their eyes locked in a shared understanding, the growing smiles on their faces unnerving Wonwoo. “Why do you keep on looking at each other like that? Stop it.”

“Then who is it?”

“Who is what?”

“Who do you like?”

“What?”

“You heard us. If it’s not Soeun, then who? Who is it that you like?”

Wonwoo swallowed, suddenly not able to look at the two. Besides the fact that they were the next closest friends you had after him, they were also the sharpest ones when it comes to secrets; hiding things from them won’t work. “No one.”

The moment the words came out, he regretted speaking completely. Even he can tell by his voice that he was lying.

“Uh huh.“

“I’m telling you. I like no one.”

"And we’re telling you that it’s completely fine.”

“Well, we’ll know when you finally tell her,“ Joshua resigned, facing the television screen once again.

“What do you mean??”

“Oh I think you know what we mean.”

Joshua nodded. “I wonder how she’ll react though.”

“Probably get weirded out and act all awkward and obvious like Wonwoo. That’s how we’ll know,” Jeonghan glanced back at Wonwoo, “no offense.”

“Offense taken,” Wonwoo frowned.

“Ahhh…are you admitting that you know what we mean?”

“I’m admitting nothing. Go find some other house to hang out in,” he said, taking the box of food back to the two.

“Come on. We’re already here. Have some respect for your elders.”

"Older by a few months!” he said, his voice filled with exasperation.

“I’m here!”

Wonwoo jumped at your voice, the box in his hands almost slipping from his grasp.

“Hey lemon drop!” Jeonghan’s wide smile greeted you as you entered.

“Lemon drop?”

“What? Wonwoo calls you cupcake sometimes.”

“Yeah but lemon drop?”

Jeonghan shrugged, tapping Joshua as he stood up from his seat.

“What are you two doing here?”

“We wanted to annoy Wonwoo.”

“Why?”

“Cause we’re bored. We have to leave now though,“ Jeonghan said, adjusting his bag over his shoulders.

“I thought you had five hours till your next class?”

“Had. We have half an hour left. We brought you chicken so it’s all good right?“ Jeonghan tapped both yours and Wonwoo’s shoulders. "See ya later.”

“Bye you guys,” Joshua smiled.

You watched them leave the house, closing the door behind them. “What’s up with those two?”

“Boredom sure makes people do interesting stuff.”

You glanced back at Wonwoo, a small smile on his face before offering you the box he was holding. “Chicken?”

You smiled at him, picking up the box from his hands. “Then homework.”

“Then homework,” he nodded.

“So what were you guys talking about?” you asked as you sat on the now vacant couch. You raised an eyebrow as Wonwoo stopped in his tracks, a pair of forks and a bottle of juice still in hand.

Wonwoo chewed on his lower lip before walking silently towards the couch, setting the forks and the bottle on the table in front.

You waited for him to sit down, noticing that the same look he had earlier was now back on his face. “No lying. I could tell.”

Wonwoo sighed as he picked up a piece of chicken with his fork. “How long were you standing outside?” He looked back, his eyes piercing right through you. “No lying. I could tell.”

It was your turn to look away. All of a sudden, having a conversation with the food rather than with your own best friend looked inviting. You gulped and spoke cautiously. “You telling them you don’t like anyone.”

“That’s all?”

You nodded slowly, your lips slowly forming a pout. Wonwoo’s tone didn’t seemed good but he never kept secrets. This, whatever it is, is even more worrying. You heard him sigh and looked up but instead saw him settle comfortably back on the couch, munching contently on his chicken.

He caught your gaze and raised an eyebrow. “What?”

“That’s it? You’re not telling me anything?”

“What’s there to tell?”

“Uh, I don’t know? Maybe the fact that you’ve been acting weird lately? Hiding your phone? Looking like a zombie? Liking someone?”

Wonwoo scoffed and set down his fork. “Look. Me hiding my phone was for your birthday surprise. Me looking like a zombie means I couldn’t sleep at night and I didn’t choose that. Third, like I told them, I don’t like anyone.”

“Then what gave them the idea that you did?”

“I don’t know–ow!” Wonwoo flinched and rubbed his arm. “Why’d you hit me?”

You glared, withdrawing your hand as you folded your arms. “I said no lying.”

“I’m not!”

“Then what about Soeun?”

Wonwoo groaned. “I thought you didn't...Ugh. I told you – well not you but them – anyway the point is, I don’t like Soeun like that. We’re just friends. That’s it.”

You glared some more before letting your already flooding thoughts spill.

“Then who do you like?”

Wonwoo stared at you in surprise before knitting his brows. "I can't...say."

“Oh come on. How come Jeonghan and Joshua knows and not me? I want to know too!” you whined.

Wonwoo’s eyes continued to hold yours, conflict clear in his expression. He sighed. “You’ll never stop bothering me until you get an answer, won’t you?”

“Affirmative.”

Wonwoo groaned, muttering incoherent things under his breath. “Fine.”

He turned to you, fixing his eyes on yours. Despite how strangers see him, he was usually playful, his face never vacant without even a small smile. But the look he had, the one he has now, made your chest tighten you had to remind yourself not to hold your breath. “Well?”

“I like someone.”

His eyes continued to study you before he broke eye contact and faced the front. “I think,” he admitted. “I’m not sure yet but…there’s something.”

“Do I know her?”

Wonwoo bit his lower lip before answering. “No. I don’t think so. She’s…I’ve only seen her once.”

“What?? Are you telling me you actually fell on first sight?” You couldn’t believe your ears. Did he really just acknowledged falling for someone from one look? Does that mean you have to change the answers to his FAQs?

“It’s not love at first sight, okay? We've known each other for quite a while...but…I don’t know. It’s complicated.”

You scoffed and rolled your eyes. “Oh please.”

“I don’t expect you to understand, you tiny cupcake.”

“Oh now tiny cupcake is an insult?”

There was tension growing in the air. Yes, you bickered a lot. Not even a day would pass without the both of you bickering even over the tiniest things. But this time, it's just a little different. Any second, with just one wrong move, a bomb might explode. You hated tiptoeing around others or them at you. Being honest and straight to the point was more of your style. But with Wonwoo…he's just being a little secretive lately and it was starting to get a bit annoying.

You leaned in close to study his face, only for him to continue looking straight ahead. This isn't going to be easy. “Fine,” you announced.

“Right,” he concluded.

Memories of people calling you both identical in stubbornness surfaced into mind. They were right, of course. It just didn't help much right now. You poked on the chicken with your fork, looking at Wonwoo from the corner of your eye. Even he wasn’t really paying attention to his food.

“So does she like you?”

“I thought you were done asking questions?”

“Obviously not,” you rolled your eyes. “It’s alright if you don’t tell me who she is…yet,” you added. “But I need to know what she would be like once you start dating. Wouldn’t want to deal with someone like the last one again; possessive and borderline crazy.”

“Well you don’t have to worry about that. I don’t think she likes me.”

“What? Why wouldn’t she like you? You’re alright.”

“You think so-”

“Not really,” you said cutting him off and dismissing the subject. “So, what’s she like?”

Wonwoo pressed his lips into a thin line as though holding back a comeback was immensely difficult. “Well she’s a mix of things. She’s plain looking. She’s decently smart. More of a smartass if you ask me. She isn’t really that nice aaaaand she drives me nuts sometimes. A little more recently.”

“She sounds horrible,” you stated simply.

“She is most of the time. But,” Wonwoo leaned back on the couch, his eyes looking sightlessly in front, “she matches me well. She makes me happy and…she feels like home.”

Sometimes, paying attention to small details can be a pain. How a person’s eyes could convey so much, especially when they’re being honest…saying those last words, Wonwoo’s eyes gleamed with genuine fondness you can’t help but feel a bit alienated, even envious. It has never happened before; not when you transferred schools or even when he first dated someone. But somehow this time, you felt like a total stranger. It was like trespassing into something so private, something so precious.

“I could tell,” you said finally.

“You can?”

“I’m your best friend. I can read you well.”

Wonwoo raised an eyebrow and chuckled. “I guess you could…to some extent.”

“Good luck then.”

“Thanks.”

“Alright. I gotta go.” You grabbed your bag and stood up.

“What? What about homework?”

“I just remembered I have another one for the film club. It’s more important so I’ll have to start with that one now if I want to stay.” You glanced at the box of food before deciding to take it with you. “Thank you for the food!”

You walked towards the door leaving Wonwoo by himself. Once out, you took your phone and scrolled through your contacts towards a certain person’s name.

Although you didn’t press Wonwoo for more specific details, you can’t help but be curious just who this person is that had Wonwoo making heart eyes it could make someone vomit. The idea was just so unsettling, so uncomfortable and to be very honest, quite scary.

The line on the other end finally came to life, a voice asking you what you needed.

If there’s anyone that can help you spy – no, scratch that. If there’s anyone that can help you protect Wonwoo, this person is the one for the job. You have to make sure that whoever Wonwoo liked was right for him. You have to find out who that person is.

“Hey Mingyu? I need your help.”