Pt. 12

Make It Work

You tapped your foot against the wooden floor boards of the bridge and leaned your body against the rail. Children and adults alike laughed and chatted as they passed by. The river below flowed in soft silence while the lights from the lamp posts reflected on its rippled surface. Everything and everyone moved at a leisurely pace while you’re stuck in a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions from today’s events.

“I don’t have to,” Wonwoo said while you concentrated on working on his tie. “I have you anyway.”

You shook your head lightly getting rid of the thought. It’s just the tie, you told yourself, repeating it a few times more when you saw Mingyu. He had two bottles of juice in his hands. He also had an inquiring look on his face. He blinked a few times as he watched you though he kept silent as he did.

“What?”

He shrugged and walked over, handing you a bottle before parking himself next to you. The breeze, the laughs, the chatting, and the bicycle wheels clacking filled the silence that he’s been keeping since getting off the bus. His hand also stayed holding yours, only letting go to buy a drink once you told him you were thirsty.

“There are some things I need to know.”

“What is it?”

Mingyu held the bottle down and turned your way. “Hm?”

“Why did you kidnap me and why are we here?”

Mingyu had his lips set into a thin line. He let out a sigh and turned to rest his arms on the bridge’s rail. “I wanted you to rest,” he said.

“Rest? Here?” You closed your eyes and clenched your teeth when Mingyu simply nodded. “Mingyu, you do know I have a lot of things to do, right?”

“I do,” he nodded again, “and it’s exactly why I brought you here. You were getting really cranky and really stressed out. Going home only means you overworking. I just wanted you to rest for a bit. And I didn’t kidnap you,” he added, a bit accusingly. “You’re free to go any time although I strongly oppose to that. Just saying.”

“Mingyu, I don’t have time for this.”

“Actually, you do. In fact, you have an hour.”

You peeked at Mingyu. His face was serious and had no traces of joking at all. “10 minutes then.”

Mingyu suppressed a smile. “45.”

“20.”

“Nope. 45.”

“25.”

Mingyu only shook his head.

“Ugh. Fine,” you sighed in defeat. “30.”

“30 it is,” Mingyu smiled triumphantly. “That’s still pretty long, you know. You really have no skill in negotiating.”

“Whatever,” you said, downing your juice and taking a deep breath after.

The bridge only had a few people left and the park nearby has turned quiet. Peaceful. Free. Like having no responsibilities and ceasing to exist even just for a short time. Who knew? It was kind of nice, after all.

“Alright. Fine,” you said. “I admit that I needed a breather. But just for a moment.”

“What did I tell you,” Mingyu agreed. “How is Hyein by the way?”

“I don’t know,” you said, a bit surprised with the change in topic. “I haven’t heard anything about her. Jeonghan’s arranging something for me and her, though. Why?”

“Nothing. I was wondering how things are with her and Wonwoo.”

“Oh.” You dropped your gaze and saw the foot of the lamp post in front. You your lips and traced its outlines with your eyes, stalling to think, to be exact. “I don’t know. Just that Wonwoo was rejected and that Hyein knew. Not sure how. I’m not interested anymore, anyway.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.”

“Then how about how Wonwoo’s been acting lately?”

“Why?” you asked, your attention going back to him. “What’s up with Jeon?”

Mingyu took a quick glance at you before turning and leaning his back against the railing. “Nah. Just being his weird self, I guess. Suddenly smiling. Probably daydreaming about things.”

Mingyu tapped his foot on the floor board and chewed on his lower lip. He watched as you nodded reluctantly before taking a deep breath. So did he. “Y/n?”

“Hm?”

“Do you like anyone right now?”

Like a machine getting unplugged from the electric socket, your whole body went dead stiff. “Noooo,” you drawled, trying not to transform your answer to another question.

“No?”

“…no.”

“I do.”

Your eyes shifted on him and back to the lamp post. “You do?”

“I like someone. Since a year ago, actually.”

“Ah,” you said, your calmed heart back to hardworking mode. Your mouth went dry. Even your hands turned clammy.

There were times you wished to know more about things in general, an example being how to respond to topics like this. Sometimes, it was the opposite, wanting to be out of the loop from certain things…

“I want to tell her. I do. But,” he sighed and smiled albeit sadly, “I’m not sure if I should.”

…and there were times, quite often recently, when you wanted to slap yourself from having too much curiosity. Why? Because asking the question ‘why’ usually meant knowing more and in detail.

“Why so?”

“Because I know it’s a losing fight.”

His eyes were hopeful yet sad. It’s like knowing that a shooting star can happen at any night but also knowing that it doesn’t happen just because you know it can or because you want it to.

“Still,” Mingyu straightened up and squared his shoulders. He took a deep breath and his hands balled into fists. “I don’t want to regret anything.”

For people confessing, it is a given that great courage is needed. Sometimes, even more than one actually has. It’s the act of taking the shield or mask away and making yourself vulnerable to whatever result you may get.

But being confessed to also requires courage. Learning the truth and the reason behind it takes courage. Responding to them, whether positively or negatively requires courage. More importantly, watching and allowing something simple to turn into something complicated takes courage. And at that time, you weren’t sure if you wanted that to happen or not.

You looked back at the direction of the bus stop and pointed at it. “Mingyu? Let’s go home now. I’m getting hungry–”

“Y/n.”

“–and I really need to start on–”

“Y/n.”

“–my project because editing is a bit–”

“Y/n!”

“–difficult…this time.”

“I…”


Wonwoo stared at the blank ceiling ahead that was as blank as his feelings were. Images have come and gone through his mind but he wasn’t sure what to feel. Mingyu holding your hand and looking at you fondly, you going with him without protest, and Jeonghan reminding him that Mingyu is also his friend…it’s all currently a mess.

He turned his eyes at the picture frame on his table. It’s amazing how simpler things were when you were younger, he thought. Going to school, playing to your heart’s content, fighting over silly things and making up afterward was the norm. These things still happen at present, of course, only this time, it seems to be mixed with other things, things that belong to uncharted and somewhat dangerous territories.

He reached for his phone, tapping it thoughtfully when he heard the closing of a door. He bolted up from his bed and looked out the window; your room light was on.

His eyes went back on his phone. Should he or should he not? He shook his head and got up. Maybe asking you in person would be better. He had a lot of things to say and a lot of things to ask. But all those dissolved when he saw someone standing near his house.

Wonwoo kept his hands in his pockets as he stepped outside. “You’ll be mistaken for a stalker if you continue standing there quietly.”

Mingyu gave Wonwoo a half-smile but his eyes stayed fixed towards your direction. “Hey.”

“What happened?” Wonwoo asked carefully, following his gaze. “Why are you holding your arm like that?”

Mingyu rubbed his left arm, wincing after squeezing it by accident. He shrugged. “I told her I liked her.”

“You did?” Wonwoo watched as Mingyu nodded lightly again. “And she punched you?”

“No. After that, I held her hand.”

“…then she punched you?”

Mingyu chuckled but it fell almost immediately. He sighed. “No. After that…I…”

“You…don’t tell me you…” Wonwoo swallowed, his small smile fading slowly as possible scenarios played in his head. Mingyu’s guilty expression didn’t help either. “Did you kiss her?”

At the mention of the k-word, Mingyu’s face flushed red and his hands started making weird hand gestures towards Wonwoo. “As if I’ll still be alive if I did that to her! No! I didn’t!”

If not for the topic at hand, Wonwoo would’ve thought it funny how embarrassed he was acting but the suspense was already eating him alive. “Then what??”

Mingyu flinched, Wonwoo’s voice drawing him back to reality. The words he said earlier resonated in his head. The look on your face was still clear in his mind. “I just came here to make sure she got home safe. See you tomorrow.”

“What?? Hey! Where are you going??”

Wonwoo watched as Mingyu walked away without another word and disappear from his view, only leaving him with a weak goodbye and even more panic in his heart.

The next days didn’t help either.

Filming continued as scheduled and was steadily nearing completion. And while everyone rejoiced until the last day of filming and the promise of having the celebration after exams, the weird air between Mingyu and you lingered. The uncomfortable looks, the invisible wall, the distance kept between. It doesn’t look like a fight, Wonwoo thought. If anything, you and Mingyu just looked…uncomfortable. Like a line has been crossed.

“We’ll have the celebration after exams,” your team leader announced after the final day of filming. “Let’s get through our reviews this week, do well in the exam, and play hard after!”

But despite everyone’s excitement to play hard, working harder needs to be done first.

Your eyes went from your video on the projector screen, to your teacher standing in a corner with her arms folded, and to the three invited teachers seated in front with unreadable looks on their faces.

“We weren’t told about having panelists,” you whispered to your groupmate seated next to you.

You balled your fists as you watched the teachers discuss in a corner. Finally, they turned to face your team.

“So… uh… how was it?” your team leader asked.

The blank looks on the teachers’ faces melted as small smiles appeared. “I think we’ve got good talents this year too. Congratulations. You all passed with high scores.”

The heavy burden on your shoulders was lifted. Hours of filming and re-filming and moving from site to site out in the heat, drafts upon drafts being changed to fit minor and major fixes, even the nights of frustration you and the others had editing effects and fixing shot, and finally seeing the finished product…for others to like it as much as the whole team did was a real relief. It was hell during the process but finishing it is what makes it rewarding.

“Yes!!” Cheers and sighs of relief erupted from your group and all the worries and anxiety melted away. With the midterm exams done and your first official project a success, you can’t help but have a smile painted on your face.

The film club’s teacher approached you with a warm smile. “Y/n? May I have a word?”

The two of you went to a corner as your groupmates celebrated on their own. “Have you thought about college yet?”

“I did,” you nodded. “And…I haven’t thought of anything else besides film.”

“Well, I can’t say I’m not happy to hear that.” She pulled out a brochure and handed it to you. “It’s an academy for Film Arts. It’s a little far from here but it’s one of the best. It has reasonable tuition too. Of course, you must apply and pass the entrance exams with your own efforts but I could put in a recommendation letter for you if you decide to go here. Think about it, okay? I’m sure you’ll do well, as with the others.”

“Hey y/n! Tell the others that I’ll be paying for later!” your team leader yelled.

“You don’t have enough money. Stop digging your own grave!” another member yelled, earning laughs from everyone in the room.

But your thoughts were somewhere else. You haven’t realized it before but things are getting clearer now. The present is starting to change. The future you have thought of is not in the future anymore.

 

“Cheers!”

“For everyone’s hard work in filming!”

“And for everyone surviving the exams!”

It was a slightly weird sight, seeing a large group of students from different schools dressed in different uniforms. A sea of yellow, navy blue and spots of random colors made up the crowd. Music and chatter joined the already busy restaurant as glasses clinked and spoon and forks clanked with everyone’s laughter.

“Hey! Kim Mingyu’s here!”

“You’re late!”

“Come in here Mr. Popular!”

“Mingyu, sit beside me!”

“Junhui that’s alcohol!”

Mingyu walked in with a smile that wavered when his eyes met yours. It’s been three weeks since your conversation and three weeks since the awkwardness. You weren’t mad. His words just spoke a bit of truth. That, his confession, and the things he seems to know.

Mingyu cleared his throat as he sat down across you and Wonwoo. Ah. Wonwoo. Another person that you’ve been trying not to be awkward with for weeks. Just how many times have you avoided him now since the start of this school year and made him worry?

You shook your head and continued eating. You had more things to worry about. They could wait. Or so you thought.

You heard someone call your name while waiting outside. Everyone else was busy saying their goodbyes, others choosing to stay a bit longer, and some who already went home. For you, you wanted to go home and rest. Because tomorrow’s appointment was with…you sighed. Just thinking about meeting her and apologizing to her smiling face was enough to annoy you again. But you knew you had to.

“You okay? You sighed so hopelessly just now,” Mingyu said stopping to stand beside you.

“I’m meeting Hyein tomorrow. To…you know. Apologize,” you said, the last word barely above a whisper. “I don’t want my two adoptive dads nagging me again.”

“Adoptive dads,” Mingyu laughed with you before letting out a sigh.

“Why are you sighing?”

“It’s been weeks. You’re finally acting normal around me again.”

“Oh. Was I being weird?”

“Nah. I expected that much to happen. But I didn’t expect you to punch me. The bruise didn’t fade until yesterday. It really hurt, you know?”

The familiar whining in his tone made you smile. No matter how big and cool people see him as, he’s still someone younger and never failed to act that way.

“Still, I’m sorry for what I said. I wanted you to be sure but I guess that was a terrible way of showing my concern.”

“It’s alright,” you said, taking a deep breath. “You had a point anyway. But don’t worry. I can figure things out on my own.”

“Y/n. This is me being greedy but…”

You heard him take a deep breath and saw him turn your way. You looked up and saw his smile, the sheepish smile he always uses with his puppy eyes. Only this time, his eyes looked warm and hopeful.

“Can we still be friends? You know that you’re the only one who appreciates my cooking besides my mom.”

“That’s your reason?” you scoffed. “And you. Weren’t you the one who started avoiding me?”

“That’s because your right hook scared me,” Mingyu whined. “You were so stressed out for the rest of the schedule. I didn’t want to set off the dangerous bomb known as you for the second time.”

You gave him a once-over and balled your fist. You raised your right, pulled back, and aimed for his arm. The moment he saw it, Mingyu closed his eyes and steeled himself, waiting for the 'second time’ that he dreaded and avoided.

“Idiot.” You bumped your fist gently on his arm and sighed. “Stop tiptoeing around me. I’ll be your friend and that means I won’t hit you again. Not unless you say something stupid like that for the second time, of course.”

Cautiously, Mingyu opened his eyes and saw the smile on your face, one that he can’t help but share and return. “Thanks.” He reached out and messed up your hair with a satisfied grin.

“Hey. This isn’t included in the friendship package,” you cried out swatting his hand away but Mingyu just continued.

“And you shouldn’t go punching people whenever you’re embarrassed,” he laughed.

“Stop! I’m older than you!”

“So what? I’m still taller. I can reach your head perfectly.”

“What are you two kids doing?” a voice from behind called out. Jeonghan, Junhui (who had a blissful smile and an arm slung over Jeonghan’s shoulder), Wonwoo, and Soonyoung finally came out. “Kim Mingyu. Stop flirting with her this instant.”

“Was not,” the other pouted but let go, giving you a quick wink before being pulled to a headlock by a surprisingly fast-moving Junhui. “What did I do now?” he whined.

“Junhui’s a bit drunk,” Wonwoo said shaking his head.

Junhui laughed though with a higher pitch than usual. “Am not! Just…a lot! Mingyuuuuuuuuu~”

“We’ll take care of him,” Jeonghan said, looking back at Soonyoung who finally pried off Junhui’s arms and puckered lips from Mingyu. “You guys get going. It’s late.”

“Yeah. Good luck with him,” you watched in amusement as Junhui switched his target to Soonyoung.

“Bye!” the two chorused while assisting a drunk Junhui down the road.

Mingyu walked back to where you and Wonwoo were waiting while rubbing his neck. “Let’s go?”

Lights from lamp posts, still open stores, and passing cars whizzed by. Seated in between the two towers that have been your source of stress for the past weeks, it left you with no choice but to entertain yourself for the rest of the trip. The fact that neither of them spoke since getting on the bus was also kind of the reason why. It was a relief to have a moment of silence from them for a change. Maybe. Kind of.

The bus slowed to a stop. No one else responded except for you and Wonwoo. It was time to get off.

“Y/n.”

You turned to look at Mingyu as you stood up when you felt someone holding your hand. With an eyebrow raised and his eyes fixed on someone behind you, you turned to see who Mingyu was looking at.

Wonwoo stood behind with an almost panicked look on his face. Your eyes followed his gaze, trailing down from his arm and onto his hand that was tightly holding yours.

You heard Mingyu scoff and turned back to see a smirk on his face.

“I was just going to say good night,” he said matter-of-factly. He bowed his head slightly with his hands pointing to the direction of the bus doors, just like how they do for royalty. He looked up and met your eyes before giving you a warm smile, one that you haven’t seen for so long.

“Uh, good night Mingyu.“

Wonwoo cleared his throat and nodded. "Good night, Gyu.”

Without another word, Wonwoo tugged your hand and led you outside just as the driver announced that the doors were closing.

And as the bus slowly started again, the smile on Mingyu’s lips slowly faded just as the sight of you and Wonwoo did from his eyes.


“Wonwoo?”

With his back facing you and his hand still tightly holding yours, all you could do was follow him.

“Wonwoo.”

What was he even thinking? Did he think Mingyu was going to go somewhere with you again?

“Wonwoo!”

Wonwoo stopped and turned to you like someone who was sleep walking but just woke up. “What?”

“You’re still holding my hand.”

Your gaze landed on your hands, Wonwoo holding yours tightly. You weren’t sure and you hoped you were wrong but the growing warmth on your cheeks said otherwise; you were blushing mad.

“I-I know!” Wonwoo said, a little too loudly. “I didn’t want you to get taken away by anyone again.”

You wanted him to repeat what he just said. Not because the words he said had any meaning. It was because you wanted to confirm if you heard him right. Your heart was beating too loudly and your mind has turned into mush to be able to understand what was going on. What was going on? Is he saying…is he actually saying…

“Your mom will kill me if you go missing again.”

Pause.

What?

Wonwoo cocked his head before deciding to keep quiet and started walking home again. Your hasty footsteps became relaxed. But with the thought of your hands getting sweaty by the second, your heart and mind were not.

“So what happened…with you and Mingyu?”

“Oh. Uh…”

“Anything weird?”

“No. It’s alright. Everything’s fine now.”

You wanted to see Wonwoo’s face, to see the face he’s making. But his back was turned completely against you and even if you did try catching up, he’d look away. Should you tell him that Mingyu told you he liked you? What would he say?

Your eyes caught sight of your houses getting near but your mind was still on your hands. If only the road was longer, you thought.

“My family’s arriving tomorrow,” Wonwoo said breaking the silence. “My brother seems excited for a different reason. Even mom. They’re acting like they’re here on vacation.”

“Wait. Tomorrow??”

“I didn’t tell you?”

“Obviously not. I want to go! But I’m meeting Hyein tomorrow!”

“Really?”

“Yes. Happy?”

Wonwoo reached out and patted your head. “What an obedient kid. Sometimes, I wish you weren’t so stubborn.”

“What’s with tall people and messing other people’s hair?” you grumbled swatting his hand away and fixing your hair. Then you noticed: your hands were still together.

“Y/n?” The light from your house and the door opened, sending you a shock throughout your body making you pull your hand away. Your mom came out of the door. “Is that you?”

“Then,” Wonwoo said after gaining back his senses. “G-good night.”

With a short nod, you watched as he gave you an awkward wave and went straight to his house.

You turned back to your mom who was watching from a distance and frowned. What is with everyone’s timings these days?


“I know you like someone else,” Mingyu continued. “But are you sure it’s that type of affection? Or is it because you were used to having him beside you?”

“What are you trying to say?”

“I don’t want you to mistake being comfortable with family with liking someone.”

You clenched your hands as blood hummed in your ears. “I’m going home.”

“Y/n-”

“By myself,” you cleared. “I appreciate your concern, Mingyu. But I think I could take care of my own feelings.”

“Then you should pay more attention to him.”

“Huh?”

“You should pay closer attention to Wonwoo.”

“Wonwoo? What do you mean?”

“I think you know what I mean.”

You clenched your fists tighter and before you know it, Mingyu was clutching his arm and groaning in pain and you were already walking away.

“Y/n!”

“Shut up!”

Closing and opening your hand that was holding his just a while ago, your eyes traveled to the window – his window – right across and sighed. Mingyu’s words…why can’t they leave your mind?