Pt. 6

Make It Work

“Ugh.”

You glanced back at Wonwoo who was sitting on your bed with his back against the headboard, a line appearing between his brows as he stared at his phone. “What is it?”

With a sigh, he tossed his phone on the bed and went back to his book. “The furniture store keeps on calling me to come back.”

“The furniture store? Why would they call you?”

“I know right? I told them all I wanted was,” he leaned on your bedside table pointing at it and grinned, “one night stand.”

You frowned and grabbed the object nearest you which happened to be your pencil case and threw it at him, hitting him squarely on his chest. “Give it back. Give it back so I can throw it again.”

“No way,” Wonwoo said, hiding the pencil case behind him.

“The next time you joke like that I’ll throw my book at you,” you said turning back to battle your homework.

“Hey. That pun was pretty smart.”

“Sometimes I wonder how we’re friends.”

“Shut up. You know you love me.”

“Yeah I do. If you dig deeeeeeeeeep deep down inside. Once you do, keep digging.“

"You wound me,” he drawled, stretching his legs and arms before settling back comfortably.

You continued reading the eleventh question a few more times before giving up. It’s been almost an hour already. A small break wouldn’t hurt, right? Anyway, it’s hard to concentrate with Wonwoo constantly making side comments while reading his book. “Why are you here anyway? Don’t you have too much free time on your hands?”

“Not my fault our teachers don’t torture us with mountains of homework.”

You sighed, cupping a hand under your chin. “Remind me again why I left my nice teachers behind.”

“I could help you if you want.”

"You would? For real??”

“Of course I was just joking,” he laughed.

A muscle twitched in your jaw. You watched Wonwoo’s eyes widen once he saw your hand automatically reaching for your book.

“I’m sorry! I won’t joke like that again!” he curled himself behind the small book, a feeble, not to mention useless, attempt at shielding himself.

“I swear Jeon Wonwoo you make me mad sometimes.” 

You stood up, abandoning your desk and sat on the edge of the bed before lying down, Wonwoo quietly inching away from you. “I wanna go out,” you groaned, kicking the air.

“You’re not even done with half of your homework yet.”

“And who’s fault is it huh?”

“Obviously not mine,” Wonwoo muttered. His eyes went round as he sets them on you realizing you got hold of his phone. “What are you doing?” he said, snatching his phone from you.

“So secretive.” You rolled over the bed to face him, your eyes narrowed.. “You’re dating someone aren’t you?”

Wonwoo blinked. He bit the insides of his cheeks, holding back a smile. Just a few days ago, the whole group was asking themselves the same thing about you. Good thing it all got sorted out by itself.

He locked his phone, placing it in his pocket. “I’m not. I’ll tell you if I am, don’t worry.” He watched as you roll your eyes and plopped your back against the bed, staring at the ceiling once again. “Any plans for tomorrow?”

“None. Don’t you have one for me? You always do.”

“Not this year,” he said, his eyes still watching you. “I have club activities tomorrow. The other kids have cram school.” He leaned forward sneaking a peek at your face. “I could buy you cake before going home if you want?”

“Forget it. My mom already bought one,” you sighed. “What do I do? Soeun and Wooshin told me they have other plans too.”

Wonwoo smiled, reaching out to pat your head. “You’ll find something to do.”

He stood up and walked towards your desk, peering over your homework. “For now, I’ll help you with this.“ He turned to you with a stone expression. “But you have to pay me back in some way.”

A smile formed on your lips as you got up from the bed and sat down on your chair. “Anything for you Mr. Jeon Wonwoo.” You looked up to him and smiled. “You’re the best.”

Wonwoo shook his head. “Tell me something I don’t know.”


Wonwoo sat at the far end of the table, watching his friends arrive with their food, Mingyu sitting beside him.

“I really hope she likes the surprise,” he said, giving Wonwoo his drink. “Do you think she’ll like it? I’m worried. It’s not as extra like last year.”

“Don’t worry about that. She will,” he smiled taking a bite of his food.

“Hyung.”

Wonwoo turned to Mingyu, quirking an eyebrow once he saw the serious look on his face.

“You know that I like y/n, right?”

“Except for her, I think everyone here knows about your little crush,“ he said, shoving a big amount of food in his mouth. “Why?”

“I’ve decided.”

"Decided what?”

“I’m going to tell her I like her.“

Wonwoo stopped chewing, his eyes slowly shifting back to Mingyu.

"What?”

“Nothing.” Wonwoo tilted his head, his eyes on the food. “Do you…are you telling her tonight?”

“Yeah! I’m nervous but I feel like today’s the day. After the celebration. While everyone is busy playing. I’ve even thought of how I’ll do it. A friend told me about this. Hyung, can you hold something for me?” he says, holding his fist out towards Wonwoo.

“What is it?”

Right as Wonwoo held out his own hand, Mingyu took his hand in his and held it tight. “Like this! Then I’ll look her in the eye and tell her!” he smiles. “Pretty smooth huh?”

Wonwoo stared at him before shaking his head. “I’m calling it already. She won’t fall for that. And that’s too cheesy,” he added, scrunching his face in disgust.

“It’s not.”

“Wonwoo. Any news from her friends yet?” Junhui asked.

Wonwoo nodded, a smile forming on his face. "Wooshin said she’s been grumpy the whole day. They’ll head over to the meeting place right after school.”

“All those days of planning and we end up with this, huh?“

"It’s not our fault. Wonwoo’s been too creative with ways to celebrate her birthday for the past years,” Soonyoung said. “You better be prepared for the next few years man.”

“All we need is someone who can deal with her grumpiness, except for Wonwoo of course cause we need him here. We need someone to keep her busy and then bring her there on time.”

Mingyu raised his hand only for Jihoon to wave it off. “I already told you you can’t. You have to do the preparations with us. How about Joshua hyung? He can appease her pretty easily. Does he have a class today?” he said taking out his phone.

Wonwoo looked up and laughed. “Appease? Seriously? But I guess you’re not wrong about that,” he nodded. “I think they only have morning classes today.”

Wonwoo smiled as he looked at the others’ determined and excited faces, his eyes landing on Mingyu last. If you just paid attention, you would realize how much people love you. Some, even more than you’d imagine.


“Stupid birthday.”

You kicked a loose pebble on the street and watched it roll off to the side. Wooshin and Soeun tried to make it up to you by buying snacks in the cafeteria and celebrating as much as they can. But in the end, they still had to leave right after class. 

You celebrated your previous birthdays at school too. Wonwoo and the rest of the guys would be pitching in for an upgraded lunch at the cafeteria which includes anything you want at that time. Then, there was always some type of surprise celebration after. This year, it was still fun with Soeun and Wooshin but…

You glanced at your phone. Everyone you knew already sent you birthday messages but none of them had the time to hang out.

“Stupid activities. Stupid new school.”

“Someone's in need of cheering up,” a sweet voice called out.

You looked up and saw Joshua standing just a few feet in front of you, a small smile on his face.

“Joshua! What are you doing here?” you said running towards him. “Don’t you have school?”

“I had three short classes this morning. And I’m here to accompany the birthday girl. How’s your day so far?”

“Good. Could be better to be honest,” you said, the smile dissolving. “Everyone remembered my birthday but I guess everyone’s busy with their own lives right now. Even that giant bully Wonwoo,” you scoffed. “Club activities. Since when did he paid so much attention to his club activities?”

“I see,” he nodded, the smile growing in his face. “They’re too busy, huh?”

“But you’re here though. You’re going to celebrate it with me, aren’t you?”

“Of course! That’s what I’m here for. What do you want to do first?”

The rest of the afternoon passed with you dragging Joshua to the mall. There really wasn’t much to do as one, you didn’t have much money and two, Joshua insisted to save the eating part until your last stop. Small snacks were fine though. Whatever it was that he planned, he didn’t tell. All he asked was for him to pick the last place which meant travelling somewhere else.

“Alright. We’re here. It’s our last stop for the day.”

You got off the bus and glanced around, your eyes getting round as you took in the interesting scenery. Huge crowds covered the area with an equally large number of stalls selling all types of toys, games and food. The colorful lights and rides towered over you, laughs and screams of delight (or maybe fear from heights) reaching your ears just as the smell of something sweet reached your nose.

“I didn’t know there was a fair today!” You jogged towards Joshua as he maneuvered smoothly through the crowd. It was now fairly dark making the lights glow more colorful as you walk by them, inviting you to visit every shop there was. Shooting games! Face painting! Everywhere you looked, a rush of excitement went through your body.

“I want to play this! Joshua? Joshua!” you ran towards him. “Hey where are you going? Let’s play.”

“We need to go somewhere first. Let’s go back later okay?”

“Oh. Uh, okay.”

You looked back at the stalls, saying silent words of temporary goodbye as you followed him through the crowd. You walked silently, wondering where he was going, watching the stalls get fewer and smaller as you moved in towards the edge of the park.

“Hey Joshua?”

“Yes?”

“Thank you for today.”

“No worries,” he says before stopping to take a glance at you. “But there’s something else, right?”

You sighed. Besides Wonwoo, Joshua was the only other one that probably understands you even without telling him anything. He just knows.

“It’s not like I didn’t have fun with you. I really did. It’s just…different,” you said. “I was so used to having everyone by my side that it feels weird celebrating it like this this year. Joshua, what if I can’t get used to this?”

“Get used to what?”

“Well, we’re all growing up. We’re getting more busy with other things. You’re in college and you’re busy, so you understand, right? And we’re almost there. I know it’s not easy. I’m scared that everyone’s moving on with their lives and I’m…stuck here.”

“Then don’t get used to it. There’s no need.”

You looked at Joshua, your brows scrunched up together, your breathing growing heavier as tears threatened to form. “But it’s inevitable. It will happen. It already is happening! Even my stupid best friend doesn’t have time for me.”

“What the hell are you talking about? Have you been trash talking me the whole day?”

You turned around, your eyes growing wide as you saw Wonwoo walking up towards you.

“Hyung, you’re late.”

Joshua grinned placing his arm around your shoulders. “Well Ms. Grumpy Birthday Girl over here was so busy trying make herself happy today. It was hard trying to not let her eat too much too.”

“Wonwoo? I thought you were –”

“You thought I was what?”

“Wait. Why are you here?”

“To celebrate your birthday of course. It took some time but it’s all good now.”

“What took time?” you said looking around. “You didn’t rent a whole fair just for me didn’t you?”

Wonwoo stared at you as did Joshua before laughing out loud. “Hey. I know I make lots of effort for your birthday every year but even I cannot do something like that.”

“What took time then?” you said folding your arms, your voice getting higher. It’s been a long day. A really long day. And here they are laughing at you.

Wonwoo nodded at Joshua as Joshua guided you forward, his other hand blocking your eyes, prompting you to shut them close.

“What is this? I swear if you’re trying to scare me I’ll hit you both.”

The warmth of his hand moved away from your eyes and you opened them.

“Surpriiise!!!”

The sound of popping went off sending long strands of ribbons your way as soft lights were lit. Seungcheol, Jeonghan, Junhui, Soonyoung, Jihoon, Seokmin, Mingyu, Minghao, Seungkwan, Hansol, Chan. Even Soeun and Wooshin!

Everyone stood around a long picnic table with fairy lights and small cut out decorations around it. Each of them held different colored balloons, some pulling in the strings from the small party poppers as echoes of birthday greetings filled your ears.

The corners of your eyes stung, fresh tears forming as you stared at them. “I hate you all,” you whispered, your lower lip quivering.

“What?”

You sniffed, looking back at them as you wiped the tears away. “I thought everyone forgot about me.”

“Oh no.” Joshua pulled you into a hug while patting your head, reassuring you that it wasn’t the case. Tears flooded your eyes and fell the instant he comforted you, his words making you cry more. “It’s okay. I told you didn’t I? You don’t have to get used to it. We’re not going anywhere, okay?”

“If I saw her like this after my first meeting with her, I would’ve thought she was a different person,” Soeun laughed. “She never ceases to surprise me.”

“Quite the opposite from her usual right?” Wonwoo said, watching Jeonghan join you and Joshua. “She’s just like that but she turns to a spoiled kid once in a while.”

“I can see that. Her image is so different from reality.”

Wonwoo laughed. You were now crying harder as Jeonghan tried comforting you, swaying you in his embrace. “Right. She thinks she’s tough and doesn’t admit otherwise.”

Some of the guys joined in in the hug, burying you in the center as they jumped around. “Okay guys. I’m okay now. You can now all un-hug me I NEED TO BREATHE,” you shouted.

“Thank you for being her friend,” Wonwoo said, his eyes watching everyone fondly.

Soeun studied Wonwoo’s expression and smiled. “You sound like her dad.”

“Believe me. Sometimes I feel like one.”

“Alright. Let’s eat quickly then let’s play all night!”

“Y/n! Sit here!” Mingyu called pointing to the seat next to him.

You grinned and sat next to him while everyone settled down. You glanced around. It looks like the food came from the booths in the fair. They were all easy-to-eat types of food all except for the small cake in the middle. It was decorated simply with white frosting and a few berries on top.

“Aren’t we going to sing her a happy birthday?” Wooshin asked.

“She doesn’t like it.”

“Why?”

“It’s so awkward,” you answered already cutting yourself a slice of cake. “Besides, I’m starving. Joshua kept on steering me away from food all afternoon.”

“That’s because we prepared this for you!” Seungkwan protested.

“I know, I know. That’s why I want to eat now. Just go and eat.”

You took a bite of the cake, squealing in delight once you’ve tasted the frosting and bread.

“You like it?” Mingyu asked.

“You made this didn’t you?”

“It’s my first time baking so I kinda burned some parts. That’s why it’s a bit small too.”

You smiled widely, taking another bite of the cake. “It’s perfect Mingyu. Thanks!”

Mingyu smiled, watching you closely as you finished your slice. “Hey y/n?”

“Yeah?”

“Can I talk–”

“Y/n!”

You turned to see Wonwoo looking at you, his eyes wide. “What?”

Wonwoo’s eyes shifted from you to Mingyu and back, catching sight of Jeonghan suppressing a smile. Jeonghan met his eyes before shrugging and looking away. Wonwoo cleared his throat and pointed at the cake in front. “Uh. Can you pass me the cake? I’m hungry.”

You frowned, pushing the cake closer to him. “You could’ve just stood up though.”

“Right. Sorry,” he chuckled, massaging the back of his neck.

 

You took your last bite, grabbing a few more of the remaining food and started cleaning up with the others. “Where do I put this?” you asked holding the fairy lights. You then found out that every decoration was borrowed from some booths in the area.

You smiled looking at everyone as they finished cleaning up. It was a small and simple celebration but the idea of your friends doing all this for you didn’t stop yourself from smiling so hard.

Joshua was right. You didn’t have to get used to being away from them. One way or another, you’ll always be with everyone.

“Let’s play!”

You went from game to game with Wonwoo right beside you while the others explored the area. You went from the balloon darts to ring toss, shooting games and more.

“Wonwoo! Let’s play this!” you said grabbing a ball. It was a break the plate game, the exact game you needed to let out your stress for the past days. A few rounds passed but you haven’t hit a single plate yet. You either threw the ball too hard or threw it downwards.

A ball whizzed past you hitting a plate and breaking it in pieces. You whirled fast, almost bumping into Mingyu.

“Sorry!” he stepped back.

“No. It’s fine.”

“Congratulations. Pick one prize from here please.” You glanced back at the girl behind the counter where she was pointing. The prizes were mostly dolls ranging from the usual stuffed animals to characters in shows and games.

“You pick,” came Mingyu’s voice.

“You won. You pick.”

“I’m giving it to you as a gift though?”

You smiled. "Then pick one for me.”

Mingyu glanced back at the prizes and mused. His face lit up as he pointed at a doll with a peach head and a weird expression and gave it to you.

“Uh, thanks?” you said, examining Peach-head.

“You don’t like it?”

You studied Peach-head’s face and grinned. “He’s weird. I like him. Thanks Mingyu!”

Mingyu chewed on his lower lip, his eyes still watching you. “Y/n.” Mingyu held out his hand towards you and smiled. “Hold this for me.”

“What is it?”

“Just hold it for me.”

A line formed between your eyebrows, a sense of suspicion growing inside you. You continued to stare at his hand, examining it from every angle before looking away. “I don’t want to. I don’t know what’s in there.”

“Come on. Just hold it for me for a sec.“

“Open your hand first.”

His shoulders slumped, a pout forming on his face. "Y/nnn.”

You pursed your lips into a smile and shook your head. “Sorry Mingyu. I’ve been fooled too much today. I’m not falling for that.”

Just then, Jeonghan arrived running from the opposite direction. “Mingyu! Hey Mingyu. Come with me for a sec,” Jeonghan said, pulling Mingyu away.

“But wait I –”

“Come on! I need you for this game!”

You laughed watching Jeonghan pull a helpless Mingyu away. You looked around, trying to locate everyone else. Wonwoo stood a few feet at the side staring right at you. You walked towards him swaying to get his attention but failed. You studied his face. He must be spacing out again.

“Hey,” you stopped in front of him. 

Wonwoo blinked, getting pulled from his thoughts. “Hey.”

“Obviously, it was you who planned this. It has Jeon Wonwoo the bestest friend ever written all over it.”

Wonwoo smiled. “Obviously. Everyone helped though so I can’t take all the credit. Maybe at least 90%?”

“Ah seriously” you laughed, hitting his arm lightly.

“Hey! Is that how you treat someone who made all this possible?” he said, rubbing his arm.

“This is how I treat someone who lied to me. I was really sad the whole day you know? Still,“ you nudged him softly, "thank you. I know I say this every year but this is probably the best birthday ever.”

“Don’t be too relaxed. I’ll be expecting something like this for my birthday too, okay?”

A loud pop and a bright light entered the night sky, showering the heavens with sparks of different colors. “Wonwoo! Fireworks!”

“I know. I can see them.”

You scowled at him before looking back to watch the show.

Wonwoo watched as large fire flowers burst in the night sky, their beautiful colors illuminating your face every time. His gaze landed on your hand, dangling loosely on your side, a strange bubble of curiosity growing inside him. “Hey.”

"Hmm?” you hummed, your eyes still watching the fireworks.

Wonwoo bit his lower lip, his eyes busy watching for anyone nearby before extending his arm towards you. “Can you hold this for me for a sec?”

“Sure.” You held out your palm, your eyes meeting his.

Wonwoo stared at you before looking back at your hand hovering just a few centimeters below his. Wonwoo cleared his throat and withdrew his hand. “Oh uh never mind,“ he said, shoving his hand back in his pocket before looking back to the sky.

"O…kay?”

“Wow!” You turned to see Seoun, Wooshin and Seokmin gaping at the fireworks.

“Y/n! Let’s move closer!”

Wonwoo watched as you got pulled with the three of them, walking through the crowd before picking a spot in the front. His eyes were on you, soaking in the view that he has never seen this way before. He’s been with you practically his whole life but it was this moment, this whole situation, that made the difference.

He took his hand out of his pocket, gazing at it intently, an invisible warmth coating it and seeping through his skin.

"Hey man. You okay?” Soonyoung asked, clapping a hand on Wonwoo’s shoulder.

“Not good.”

“Not good?” he echoed, looking at Wonwoo’s hand.

Wonwoo looked up and watched as you laughed with your friends, completely oblivious of your surroundings, completely oblivious of what’s currently happening to him.

“I think...I like her.”