Pt. 3

Make It Work

You went through your bag and took out your textbook and pen when you heard someone in front of you clear their throat. You looked up and was surprised to see Soeun standing in front of you.

“Hi,” she smiled.

Your brows furrowed, confused as to why she was talking to you and watched as she took a seat on the chair beside you.

“Sorry I ran away yesterday. I got…kind of surprised.”

Oh.

“I realized that it was insensitive of me to ask you about someone else. I honestly just wanted to make friends with you. I just didn’t know what else to talk about.”

You blinked, trying to process what she just said. Did she say she wanted to make friends with you? You heard her right…right?

Just then, the bell rang, prompting everyone to go back in the room and to their seats. Soeun looked back just in time to see the teacher walk in.

“Let’s eat lunch together if you want?”

You glanced at the teacher then back to her. “Uh, okay?”

“Great,” she smiled and walked back to her seat.

Your eyes followed her until she took her seat at the front. She looked back at you and smiled, giving you a little wave. You nodded and smiled back and turned your attention to the teacher in front. Well, it looks like you now have a lunch mate and maybe, just maybe, a new friend.


“So. Tell me all about yourself.”

You weren’t even sure when but lunch time went by in a blink of an eye. Talking to Soeun, no, actually talking to her made you feel guilty about what happened yesterday. Like she said, she didn’t know anything else about you that’s why she thought of talking about Wonwoo. But after telling her about yourself, the conversation just flowed naturally and all your prejudice about her vanished. Right off the bat, you found out that you shared a couple of common interests; one of them with dogs, something Wonwoo would never understand. Well, he could tolerate tiny, cute ones but it’s the big ones that makes him stay away as far as possible. It was one of the reasons why you never adopted a dog and well, the fact that your mom didn’t actually let you keep one as a pet. Soeun had two and asked if you would like to visit them some time.

“This one’s Snuffles,” she said, pointing at a picture of a big black dog on her phone. “He’s a bit old but still very cuddly and very playful. He kinda does what he wants though. Then this one’s Newt,” she pointed at a husky with reddish brown fur. “He’s 3 months old and very energetic.”

You laughed. “You named a dog newt?”

“Yeah. Why not?” she smiles. “Actually, my boyfriend named him that. I didn’t really had the chance to change it because, well, it fits. And Newt likes it.”

And of course, there was the topic about relationships and stuff.

“You have a boyfriend?”

“Soeun!”

You turned to look at the direction where the voice came from and saw the guy from yesterday. Looking at him now, you do recognize him. He was the tall guy seated at the back of the room who was almost never inside every free period. He was smiling widely, walking towards your table when he sat down beside Soeun.

“Right on cue.” Soeun turned to look at the newcomer. “What is it Wooshin?”

“We already have club activities later so you can go home first without me,” the guy named Wooshin answered.

“Okay,” she smiled before turning to you. “Oh. This is y/n. You know her right?”

“Of course!” he smiles widely at you which you returned a little less enthusiastically. “Hey! I hope Soeun’s not boring you to death about Snuffles and Newt.”

You watched as Soeun slapped Wooshin’s arm. “I’m not boring her. She loves them. Go away.”

Wooshin stood up and patted the top of Soeun’s head before walking away. “Nice to meet you y/n.”

The two of you watched him walk away before Soeun turned back to you. “Well, that’s him,” she laughs. “That’s why I can assure you that I have no interest whatsoever with Wonwoo.”

“Sorry,” you started. “I didn’t mean to be mean.” Really, you should try being a little less sharp with people you just met, just like what Wonwoo and your mom always says.

Soeun nodded. “I understand. He’s pretty popular so I guess it’s kind of hard for you, with all the girls and everything.”

“Not really. But it does get tiring when people befriend you just to get close to him.”

“Hm. Then why not just tell others you’re dating?“

Your eyes widened and nearly choked on your water after hearing what she just said. Did she really just… “I’m sorry. What?”

“You know. Tell them you’re dating someone. Make stuff up so people will leave you alone?”

Oh. Good. For a second there, you thought she was implying something else. “Well, that won’t work. The only guys I normally hang out with are guys from my old school. And I really don’t understand why but for some reason, they’re kinda popular too.”

“Well, that .”

“Tell me about it,” you let out a small laugh. Talking about this to someone else felt nice. Although you would tell Wonwoo anything in a heartbeat, this isn’t something that you would talk to him all the time. Sure, the two of you fight rumors off by ignoring them but it was probably equally tiring for him as well. Not to mention the way he looks whenever you would tell him about such things. You could just tell how sorry he feels. He cares for you too even if he doesn’t say it. You knew that much.

The school bell rang, signaling the end of lunch time. You cleaned up your table before going back to the room with Soeun and thought about your old school life. Sure there were less people surrounding you (and it was quieter too) but you can’t help but feel your inner worries disappearing. This new school life just might work.


Wonwoo stopped in front of the door and listened intently. The TV was on. “I didn’t leave it open though?” Wonwoo took a nearby umbrella and poised in front of the door before thinking, no burglar’s stupid enough to be this obvious. Placing the umbrella down, he opened the door cautiously and found you sprawled lazily on the couch. “Not again.”

“Welcome home!” you smiled widely at him.

“How many times do I have to tell you? Stop crashing in somebody else’s house!”

“I know where you keep your spare key though. And you’re not ‘somebody else’ okay?”

Wonwoo shook his head. Sometimes, you really just do as you please.

You sat up, containing the excitement in you, patting the seat beside you. “Hurry up! I have lots to tell you!”

“Alright. But first, let me have a drink.”

And for a whole half an hour, all you did was talk about your day; from when Soeun approached you in the morning and how confused you felt about it, to when you ate lunch with her and found out about her dogs and a lot more, up to how you basically spent the day with her, your new friend.

As for Wonwoo, he sat there watching you explain things animatedly and can’t help but feel so proud and happy for you. This was probably the most excited he’s seen you since he first took you to a shooting game in an arcade which says a lot. The fact that you’re this happy about making a new friend made him feel comforted. Though he won’t be with you, at least there’s someone who will be. Though if he’s going to be honest, there was this weird feeling of sadness inside of him. Is this what fathers feel when their daughter is about to get married?

“Ahhhh I wanna see Snuffles and Newt soon.”

Wonwoo smiled and patted your head. “Awww. My small child is so grown up now,” he said wiping an invisible tear. “I can’t believe it. You finally made a new friend. I feel so proud.”

“Ugh. Why am I even friends with you?” you said, swatting his hand away. “Anyway, I have lots of free time today and I’m bored. Wanna go out?”

“Nah,” Wonwoo said, switching on his play station and handing you the controller. “Let’s just stay here and play games.”

"Kay. Oh right. Has your brother replied yet? I told him to send you a message as soon as possible.”

Wonwoo nodded as he sat down next to you. “He’s still preparing for his entrance exams but he feels like he’s got this.”

“I hope he passes. I miss them already. Should I help you rearrange everything?” you asked, taking a look at the interior of the house.

It’s only been over two years since you, your mom and Wonwoo moved houses due to yours and Wonwoo’s choice of school. You’ve always been neighbors with him, although not as close as right now. Sending him to live alone for a while wasn’t much of a problem with him and his family since he had you and your mom. And with his brother entering high school, Wonwoo’s whole family would be living together in this very house soon.

“Hey. There’s still half a year to go, you know? And stop destroying the controller!”

“I’m just playing like normal! Aren’t you excited though? Cause I am.”

“This” he says as he stopped your hand from pushing the buttons too much, “isn’t normal. Ugh.” He leans back on the couch as you K.O'ed his character at random. Again.

“I win!” you grinned at him.

“That’s just the first round.” His eyes studied the house which was decorated simply (thanks to your mom) and landed on you. For the two years that he’s lived alone in a different place where he grew up, he never really felt homesick. Sure, there were times when he would miss his mom’s cooking or his dad asking for help in the house or when he would annoy his brother, but he still had family here; he had your mom and you. And his friends of course.

Wonwoo smiled at himself as he watched you pick a different character for him with so much seriousness. You’re definitely not like his mom who is not much of a nagger like you are sometimes, not much of his dad either who gives him sound advice, and not much like his brother who has lots of patience for him…but you’re family whom he loves very much. So really, what’s there to feel sad or lonely about when he’s got you near him?

Wonwoo poked your shoulder and took his controller from you. “10 rounds. Winner gets a wish.”

“Prepare to lose Jeon Wonwoo.”

“Right back at'cha,” he smirks.


You glanced at the clock and saw that it was time your mom got home and was probably already preparing dinner. “Alright! Time to eat!“ You sat up and placed the controller on the table and grabbed your bag as Wonwoo turned the TV off.

"I win.”

“Nope. That was only 8 rounds. Not counted,” you pointed at him.

“Please,” he says as he locked his door. “I won 6 times.”

You walked out with Wonwoo towards your house when you noticed him walk past you. “Uh, where are you going?”

“Buying food?”

You shook your head and grabbed his hand, pulling him inside your house and to the kitchen, immediately hit by the smell of food. You’ve been playing the whole time that you didn’t even notice how hungry you were until now.

“Wonwoo! So glad you’re joining us tonight,” your mom smiled as she placed the food on the table. “Y/n please set the table, thank you.”

You grabbed a couple of spoon and forks and passed them to Wonwoo as you placed the plates on the table.

“Thank you for the food!”

As expected, you started telling your mom about everything you just told Wonwoo. Wonwoo sat there, watching as you and your mom obviously brighten up to the news, your mom especially. She’s been nagging about you and your friends for so long that she was so happy to hear about your new friend she almost teared up.

“Wonwoo, am I really that difficult?” you glared at him.

Wonwoo shrugged. “Hey. Even if you are, you don’t have to worry cause I accept you 100% just as you are.”

“I don’t know if I should be happy or if I should be offended.”

Wonwoo laughed. “Don’t worry. You’re not.”

The rest of dinner passed with Wonwoo just eating contently in silence, watching as you describe to your mom how Soeun’s dogs looked. Whatever sadness he was feeling earlier was probably just his imagination. There was nothing to be sad about. You were happy. Your mom is happy. He’s happy…for now.