Pt. 12.5 (Extra/Filler)

Make It Work

Your eyes fluttered open and you breathed in the morning through a short stretch. Outside, you can hear the neighborhood coming to life with the passing cars and voices. Light engulfed your vision; the sun was up and saying hello.

My alarm hasn’t gone off yet, you thought, shifting under the blanket and facing the wall to give yourself a few more minutes of sleep. A yawn escaped your lips as you snuggled your face against the pillow when you heard something move behind your back. Your eyes shot wide open. Your ears were on full alert.

A chair scraped against the floorboards followed by the shuffling of feet. Someone walked over, took something nearby from what sounded like a drawer and went back to the chair.

Your heart pounded against your chest. There was someone inside your room and that someone was going through your things.

Is it mom? you thought, calming yourself. But she never goes through my stuff without my permission. Panic started to grip you until you heard the person chuckle.

“Wonwoo?” You whipped back to see Wonwoo seated on a chair in front of a desk with a book in hand. “Wonwoo, what are you doing here?” you asked, sitting up.

But there was no answer. Wonwoo continued to read in silence, flipping the next page and minding his own business.

“Really? You’re ignoring me?” It was an ironic question given your status with him at the moment. It’s been two weeks since the aquarium date or more specifically, the day you started ignoring him. And while he still made an effort to visit every day, it never got to this point with him getting comfortable in your room...while you were asleep. “Jeon Wonwoo!”

Wonwoo turned towards you, the look of confusion on his face dissolving into a warm smile. “You’re awake?” He got up and walked towards the bed and took a seat next to you but something was off. Why did he look gigantic?

“Wonwoo what the hell—”

He lifted a hand and started your head gently. “Did you sleep nicely?” he cooed, a calm happiness obvious in his voice. “It looks like you had a wild dream. Look at you.”

“Wait! Wonwoo what are you talking about?” you asked, trying to swat his hand away. “And what the hell are you doing in my—” You blinked. Pulling your gaze past him, a realization struck your mind. The room looked different; neat and organized, a total impossibility given the amount of stuff you owned. But that wasn’t the only thing. Sure, you recognized all the stuff in front of you but you also recognized them to belong to someone else.

“It’s a crime for you to be this cute,” Wonwoo chuckled, your head some more before letting go. “Are you hungry? Do you want something to eat?”

You watched him stand and loom in front of you but your head was too busy trying to process the information it just received. You were too immersed in your thoughts that you didn’t notice him nearing you until he scooped you up in his hands.

“Let’s shower after breakfast, okay?” he says, his eyes crinkling behind his glasses when he smiled.

“WHAT?!”

You squirmed and tried to break free but the more you did, the more you realized it was in vain.

“Hey stop. I might drop you,” he said, adjusting himself with every move you made until...

“Ah!”

You landed on the bed, finally free from his grasp.

“That’s the second time this week,” he winced, touching his right hand. He turned to look down at you and frowned. “Bad y/n.”

You opened your mouth to speak but found no words. Your eyes caught an image on the mirror propped up against the wall but it wasn’t your reflection that you saw. At least, you hoped it wasn’t. But the longer you looked, the more the crippling fear inside you grew stronger until finally, it all clicked.

“WHAT?!”

A shiver went down your spine as you blinked a few times wishing for the reflection to go away. Right there, staring back at you with its green eyes, was a gray tabby mirroring the horror that slowly grew on your face.

“Done,” Wonwoo said, his voice drawing you back in. He patted the adhesive bandage on his hand before placing both hands on his hips. “Y/n. I already told you: no scratching. You used to be calm and cuddly. What happened?”

“Wonwoo! It’s me, y/n!” you cried, desperation and panic gripping your voice. “Your best friend!”

But he only shook his head and walked away towards his closet.

“Wonwoo! Listen to me!” You hopped down the bed and followed after Wonwoo only to find him rummaging for something in one of his bottom drawers. “What happened to me?!”

Wonwoo sighed and crouched down, his hand holding a small towel. “Y/n, what’s up? You’ve been loud since you woke up. Are you sick? Does anything hurt?” he asked reaching for you.

It’s no use, you thought. He can hear but he can’t understand. There has to be a way to let him know.

You darted out of the closet and back to the room, ignoring him when he called you back. You looked around.

Everything looked just as you remembered his room to be. There were books all around, game CDs, a guitar, his desk filled with school things…but none of it was helpful. 

You looked up in hopes of having his bedroom door opened then maybe you can run back home. But it was closed. 

“I’m doomed.” You were about to give up when your eyes landed on a figurine displayed on one of his shelves.

“Y/n. Come back here.”

You looked back to see Wonwoo emerge from the closet with a frown on his face. He was clearly confused but it was nothing compared to you and your current situation.

“This cat thing better work.” You sprung up to the bed and crossed over his bedside table and positioned yourself at the edge, getting ready for the high jump. The shelf was far and high but somehow, you knew you can reach for it.

Wonwoo called out your name again, this time sounding really upset. “Don’t you dare make that jump. I’m warning you—” but you didn’t listen. Soon enough, you found yourself sticking your claws on the side of the shelf and making a jump to the top.

“Y/n, you know you’re not allowed there,” Wonwoo warned again, his voice sounding more impatient by the second. “Come down here.”

“Sorry Wonwoo,” you replied before looking back at your target. It was a ceramic Elsa figurine that you got for his 17th birthday. It was supposed to be a prank but instead of getting playfully mad as usual, he was thankful, telling you that he would treasure it. And you knew he did after seeing the said gift on his study desk the day after and he’s kept it with him since then. Maybe through this, he’ll remember you and make the connection. Besides, there was no other way you can think of.

“Y/n, come down now. It’s dangerous up there.”

You circled the figurine and nudged it with your head. “It’s me Wonwoo. It’s me,” you cried but the next thing you knew, you were falling down with the figurine and to the ground.

They say that cats always land on their feet. But it’s only been a few minutes since you’ve been one. How were you supposed to do that?

You braced for a hard landing only to find yourself safe in Wonwoo’s arms. Meanwhile, you heard the sound of the figurine crashing and breaking into pieces. You opened your eyes. Wonwoo was hugging you tightly.

“Are you okay?” he breathed. “Did I squeeze you too hard?”

Your heart was still beating fast from the fall that all you could do was say a meek no even though you knew he wouldn’t understand.

A relieved smile grew on Wonwoo’s lips as he held you tightly in his arms. “It’s a shame though,” he continued, looking down at the mess. “Someone important gave me that figurine.”

At the mention of this, you perked up. “That’s right!” you cried excitedly. “I gave you that. Wonwoo! I gave you that!” But then you felt Wonwoo’s embrace tighten against your body but it wasn’t the comfortable type.

“That’s why” Wonwoo turned to look at you with a face that you knew all too well. It’s the same face he makes whenever you randomly beat him in games or whenever you steal his food from him. It’s the face he makes when he’s about to get revenge. Wonwoo smiled and you swore the hairs on your body stood up. “It’s bath time.”

You jolted awake with your heart hammering against your chest. You looked down at your hands and feet before seeing your reflection on the window beside the bed. You’re in your room. You’re back.

“Y/n!” you heard your mom call you. Right then, the door opened with your mom outside. “Get up already. Wonwoo’s here.”

She turned to walk away and you saw Wonwoo making his way towards your room, already dressed for school. He stood in the doorway and leaned on the post with an amused smile on his face. “You look extra grumpy today.”

Under normal circumstances, you would have given him the cold shoulder and blatantly ignored him, continuing the front that you’ve started two weeks ago. But after that vivid dream…

“Are you okay?” he asked his tone of voice changing. He walked towards you and sat on your bed, his face now painted with concern. “Hey.”

You met his gaze and nodded slowly, choosing to set aside the dream for a moment. “I’m fine.”

Wonwoo nodded, not completely convinced, but decided to let it go. But then the freakiest thing happened.

He smiled, lifting a hand and started your head gently. “Did you sleep nicely?” he cooed. But as ‘normal’ as it may seem, all it did was send your heart into overdrive and your head spinning back to the dream you just had.

“It looks like you just had a wild dream. Look at you,” he laughed, oblivious of how you froze and how red your face became. “Say,” he asked, leaning close, his eyes sparkling with delight behind his glasses, “what were you dreaming of?”