Pt. 5

Make It Work

The sound of chimes and muffled gibberish danced all around you, every direction stretching out far and wide for as long as you can see. Your eyes narrowed, barely seeing your surroundings. The place was empty.

You looked around, ever so slowly, when a woman passed before you pulling a small luggage behind her. Then, there were more. People around you in all shapes and sizes moved in every direction.

Where were you? Who are these people and where were they going? Your feet felt heavy beneath you, restricting you from moving and going after these people. Your mouth felt dry; speaking even in a whisper was painful. What is this place?

You looked up and your heart jumped. Standing a few feet away in front of you were two figures: you and someone else. 


 

You stretched your hand with great difficulty and tried getting your attention but to no avail.

Then, the you in front moved and hugged the other person.

A warm yet sad feeling enveloped you like a precious memory saying goodbye. Finally, you watched as you went off your way and the other went the opposite way.

“– up.”

“Wait!” you shouted, your voice sounding somewhat garbled and faraway. The figures continued moving away from each other, the distance between themselves getting wider, fading from the corners of your vision.

“– wake up.”

“Wait!”

“Y/n wake up!”

You bolted up, the dream shattered by your mom’s voice. You noticed how heavy your breathing was like it would if you ran without stopping. You hugged yourself. The dream was vivid, so vivid, you could still feel the warmth around you but…what was the dream about again?

“Y/n, I’m going ahead! Go wash up and eat breakfast and don’t forget to lock the door!”

You groaned, burying yourself under your blanket. Back to reality it is.

 

You walked out of your room, adjusting your bag over your shoulders when you saw someone standing in front of the dining table.

“Wonwoo?”

Wonwoo turned and smiled at you. “I made breakfast.”

Your brows furrowed as you neared the table and saw a bowl of cereal with a carton of milk on the side. “You made breakfast?”

Wonwoo rolled his eyes and sat on the chair across yours, placing his backpack on the floor beside him. “Unless you want me to actually cook something I’ll be more than happy to do so.”

“Nah I’m good,” you added quickly, taking a bite when you saw his uniform. “Please don’t tell me you’ve been coming to school with that tie.”

Wonwoo looked down and checked before smiling. “It’s fine. The teachers haven’t noticed yet.”

“I really have no idea how you managed to live this long without me,” you shook your head as you transferred seats, sitting beside him. If there’s one thing that Wonwoo relied on you the most, it would be the small things like tying a tie. He’s never really bothered learning it properly since he ‘has you anyway’. At least, that’s what he always say. 

“Why should I? I have you here anyway,” he smiles. “I could just go here in the morning and let you fix my tie.”

“I’ll just go to school early then,” you frowned, sticking your tongue out. “You should really learn it properly this time Wonwoo. I won’t be always with you anymore,”  you said looking at him, as you patted the tie flat on his chest before going back to your seat.

“Ohhh. Look who’s trying to be all mature and grown up. Just a few weeks ago, you were whining about being all alone at your new school.”

“That’s different,” you said, rolling your eyes. “So, why’re you here?”

“What? It’s not like I’ve never went to your house before school, right?”

“Yeah but that was when we went to the same school. It’s just a bit suspicious that’s all.”

“Whatever. Just hurry up. I’ll be late because of you.”

“Just go then!”

“I don’t want to.”

The two of you continued bickering even after you left your house. Though Wonwoo mostly ignored your questions, even holding back his usual witty remarks, you decided to just let it go. After all, it’s been a while since you two went to school together. Only this time, it’s not exactly how it used to be.

You hugged Wonwoo’s bag tight and took a glance at Wonwoo who stood in front of you, holding on to the railing of the bus. It’s nearly a month since you started school. Unlike before, you’ve already gotten used to not having him with you almost all the time. But riding the bus with him, it was nostalgic. And you missed him. Kind of.

The bus slowed to a stop. You gave Wonwoo his bag back, saying goodbye to him and got off only to see him follow after you.

“Why did you get off? You’re still a station away!”

Wonwoo shrugged and adjusted his bag over his back, his eyes quite obviously avoiding yours. “I have time.”

“You just said you’re going to be late.”

“Stop nagging and start walking,” Wonwoo frowned, walking ahead of you. “Hurry up slowpoke!” he called.

You ran towards him, a smile forming on your lips and nudged him. Wonwoo is nice in general and something like this shouldn’t really be an issue. But somehow, you can’t help this light feeling you’re having. It seems like his being extra nice today.

Wonwoo glanced at you and saw the smile on your face before looking ahead. “What?”

“Why are you walking me to school?”

Wonwoo pursed his lips but continued walking in silence.

“You’re being nice today. It’s really suspicious.”

You frowned. You were already nearing the entrance and he still hasn’t told you why he’s with you this morning. You walked slowly, matching his pace as other students passed by in a hurry. “You’re just bored aren’t you?”

Wonwoo continued walking, his eyes still busy trying not to meet yours.

“You do know you’re acting weird right? What is it?”

He sighed. “I have something to ask you.”

“What is it?”

“Y/N!!”

You turned to look and saw Wooshin, waving frantically and running towards you, his hair and bag flying in the air. “5 minutes left before the test starts!! Hurry!!” he shouted running past you, grabbing your hand.

“What??” you shouted as you got dragged with him. You looked back at Wonwoo who stood staring at the main entrance, you could see his mouth slightly opened in surprise. “I’ll be going then!! See you later!”

Wonwoo continued to stare, baffled with the scene he just witnessed and watched you disappear from his view. Who was that guy?

More students started rushing past him before he looked at his watch and jumped. “I’m late!!”


“I’m telling you Wonwoo: you move too slow.”

Wonwoo stopped and glanced back, burying his hands deeper in his pockets. “And who’s the one walking so far behind me now?”

“Hey. I’m older than you,” Jeonghan retorted. “And I didn’t mean that literally.”

Wonwoo shook his head and resumed walking. Classes have ended and he was on his way home when Jeonghan caught up with him, asking if he’s asked you about the guy yet. When he found out that Wonwoo hasn’t, Jeonghan insisted on stopping by with him at your school, even if it means going the opposite way from his house.

Wonwoo stopped at the gate and glanced at his watch. Any minute now.

Little by little, students started coming out from the main entrance of the school. He looked up, craning his neck to see if you were in sight.

“Ah!” Jeonghan exclaimed. “It’s that boy! And there’s Y/n!”

Wonwoo followed Jeonghan’s gaze and saw you walking and laughing with the boy from earlier. So. It was him.

You took a breath and looked up and saw two tall figures standing right outside the main gate, one of them waving at you enthusiastically. “Jeonghan!” You ran towards him, his arms wide open for an embrace. “I haven’t seen you in so long! What are you doing here?”

“I’ve missed my little sister too much!” he hugged you tightly, swaying side to side before letting you go.

“What have you been up to lately? How come you weren’t there for movie night last time?”

“I had extra lessons,” he shrugged. His gaze shifted on Wooshin who stood beside you, sizing him up and folded his arms while Wooshin stood with a smile, unfazed.

“Oh right! This is Wooshin! He’s in my year.”

“Hi! It’s nice to finally meet you!”

Wonwoo’s eyebrows shot up. “Finally?”

“You’re Wonwoo right? Y/n’s best friend? I’ve heard a lot about you,” he grinned.

“Did you really?” he asked, raising an eyebrow towards you.

“Don’t worry. It was all good stuff,” Wooshin said.

“Hey,” Jeonghan turned to you, “I’ve been meaning to ask this but who –”

“Guys! Wait up!”

The four of you turned in time to see Soeun running behind you. She panted heavily, her eyes wide as she stopped right next to Wooshin. “I…ha…” She looked up, taking a glance at the two guys in front of her, her hand going over as her eyes landed on Wonwoo. “No way.”

You looked at her, a smile creeping up your face. “I guess you recognize him,” you said, turning back to Jeonghan and Wonwoo. “These are my new friends, Wooshin and Soeun. We’re all in the same class.”

Wooshin and Soeun bowed and greeted, Jeonghan and Wonwoo doing the same.

“And these are my…uh…what do I call you guys?”

“I’m her older brother Jeonghan,” Jeonghan smiled, nodding at them.

“You’re not,” Wonwoo said, rolling his eyes. “I’m her neighbor and best enemy, Wonwoo.”

“Nice to meet you,” the other two chorused.

Wonwoo’s eyes shifted and saw Soeun holding on the hem of Wooshin’s jacket and how she’s partially hiding herself behind him; it was like a light bulb in his head.

“Aren’t you guys late for something?” you asked, turning to Soeun and Wooshin.

“Ah! Almost forgot! We’ll be going then.”

“It was nice meeting you,” Soeun bowed before waving goodbye towards you. “See you tomorrow!”

“Bye!” you waved back.

The three of you watched as their back appearances vanish from your views.

“Hold on. Isn’t that guy…?”

“Hmm?”

Wonwoo shot Jeonghan a look, subtly shaking his head which, thankfully, Jeonghan understood.

“Ah…it seems like…ah…I get it.”

“What? What do you get? And aren’t we going home yet? Or maybe we could stop by somewhere and get something to eat? I’m starving.”

“What a mess. Looks like I have to take care of some stuff,” Jeonghan laughed, scratching the back of his head.

“Yes. You should,” Wonwoo replied.

“I’ll be going ahead then.”

“Already?” you pouted.

“I’ll go hang out with you next time, okay?” he said patting your head. “See you!”

“Bye,” you sighed, waving at him.

“Missed him that much?”

“Yeah. It’s been a while.”

“You have me though?” Wonwoo smirked.

“You’re not as nice as him,” you mocked.

“Whatever,” Wonwoo said, slinging an arm over your shoulders. “Let’s go home.”

You started walking, the familiar comfortable silence settling in. The road was quiet and there weren’t many people. It was nice. It was like the perfect way to end your day.

“Hey Wonwoo?” you said in a soft voice. “What’s up with you today? Did you really want to see me that much?” you teased, grinning at him.

Wonwoo turned to you before messing your hair and smiled. “You wish.”


“Alright. Listen up.” Seungcheol clapped his hands together, getting everyone’s attention. He stood in the middle of the room, his arms folded.

Everyone — Jeonghan, Joshua, Junhui, Wonwoo, Soonyoung, Jihoon, Seungkwan, and Hansol — turned, stopping whatever they were doing. It was one of those nights when everyone gathered just to hang out. This time though, it was for an emergency meeting.

“Wait. Where’s 97-line and Chan?”

“Club activities,” Joshua answered simply.

“We’ll just tell them later then.”

“What is it, Cheol?” Jeonghan quipped, shifting comfortably on the couch.

“We have to prepare. We have tons of things to prepare.”

“For what?”

Seungcheol turned and nodded at Wonwoo, everyone else shifting their gazes towards him.

“It’s in a few days,” Wonwoo smiled. “Y/n’s birthday.”