~ VI ~

The Blue Flower

There it is again - the obnoxiously loud buzzing and beeping of the alarm, which could be ChangKyun’s most hated sound on earth. Never before he had slept as good as he did now, this night being even more exceptional than the one spent next to Wonho, as it felt like he was next to him again. His hand never left ChangKyun’s and this time the feeling of the dream didn’t leave for a single second. Even when he as if woke up again, Wonho was still sitting on the edge of his bed, resting his back against the headboard, holding ChangKyun’s hand, his slender fingers drawing patterns on the human’s skin. This time they didn’t speak, it was just the calming presence of the undead creature of the night that gave ChangKyun such peace. He has to admit, he wanted to move over, to free some space in his small bed and ask the vampire to lay down, despite the small space they would have between them. He didn’t dare to, even in a dream he already had enough. Yet the buzzing, the buzzing was here to ruin it all.

Still in daze Changkyun reaches over to turn the annoying noise off and attempts to stretch, but his left hand seems to be stuck somewhere. Half in panic and half asleep he turns on the lamp on the nightstand and and near jumps, near faints even. His hand is not stuck. It’s still being held by Wonho, who is sitting on the edge of ChangKyun’s bed, his back resting against the headboard, his head slightly tilted to the side, eyes closed, as he is definitely asleep. Was this still a dream? Or did Changkyun never actually dream at all? Was it just this night or maybe all other one’s as well…

The alarm goes off again, the buzzing louder and more annoying and the vampire stirs in his sleep. His blue eyes flutter open and go straight to the still confused, dazed and almost dizzy ChangKyun who barely turns the irritating noise off. There’s a soft smile on his plump lips, eyes drowsy but warm despite the cold color and the shock state melts away from ChangKyun at least a little bit.

“Is it morning already?” the vampire asks, his already rasp voice even raspier and filled with sleep. Changkyun nods in answer and his eyes go from the undeniably beautiful yet sleepy face of the silver haired man to the hand Wonho was still holding. The vampire looks at it aswell, his thumb gently running over Changkyun’s knuckles, before he raises the just few tones darker hand up, pressing his lips softly against it. “I apologize,” he murmurs being barely even awake and stands up, ChangKyun’s hand falling out of his grasp. There’s this reflex, this need to grab Wonho’s hand again, but ChangKyun holds himself back.

“I shall leave. Have a good day,” Wonho sways a little, reminding of sleepwalking Hyungwon a little, and ChangKyun jumps up from the bed, steadying the vampire by his shoulders and guiding him a step back until the latter has no other option but to sit down. He is almost adorably helpless and cute in a way - his eyes unfocused and half lidded, blinking slowly -and ChangKyun tries to not focus on that.

“You can sleep here,” the human realizes what he says only the words leave his mouth, but he can’t step away from them now. “I mean, I will go downstairs and well, you are very sleepy and what if you trip and fall?” he speaks rapidly, not even understanding exactly what he is trying to bring across.

“Are you sure?” Wonho asks and ChangKyun just nods before finally letting go of the vampire’s broad shoulders. He doesn’t wait for a response, scatters up some clothes and almost runs to the bathroom. The borders between his dreams was suddenly nowhere to be seen - it was as vague and non existent as it could be and it began to distort his reality. Fantasies and dreams swarmed into his head, not even water from the shower being able to chase them away. The bathroom doors could open, the shower could slide open, the scent of an autumn breeze could fill the air…

“What the hell are you even thinking about?” ChangKyun quietly curses himself. “You know him for less than a week. What are you imagining?” he grumbles under his breath, cursing his own head, cursing the too pleasant, too nice dreams and also the beautiful vampire who frightened him the first time they met. In just few days he had gone full mad, he was sure of it.

Carefully, ChangKyun opens the bathroom door and peeks through the gap at his bed. Surprisingly but at the same time not really, Wonho is asleep. His head is not quite on the pillows, so his feet dangle over the edge of the bed and once again, he looks endearing. Quietly Changkyun makes his way to the bed and carefully pulls the blanket over the sleeping vampire. He has this urge, his hands itching, to smooth the grey bangs away from the handsome features, to just stay there and look at him, but he fights it back. He can’t.

Almost stumbling down the stairs he gets to the kitchen the moment Shownu carries out Minhyuk, who once again is out cold. He expects the kitchen to be either empty or just see Kihyun there, but Jooheon sitting at the table is a surprise. His “good morning” to ChangKyun is dry and Kihyun quirks an eyebrow at such interaction but doesn’t ask anything as he places a mug of fresh coffee in front of ChangKyun, breakfast French toasts following for both him and Jooheon. The pink haired man joins the table and it’s an awkwardly quiet meal, the million questions and theories floating around ChangKyun’s head - dreams mixing with reality- not helping.

“Cookie for your thoughts?” Kihyun suddenly speaks, his eyes glued to ChangKyun as are Jooheon’s. His face must say it all. Quite theoretically he could say nothing, but not sharing his theories would just make him more insane, speculating and making conspiracy theories.

“Vampires have a lot of different abilities, right?” Changkyun asks and receives a nod from Kihyun and undivided attention from Jooheon. He tries to think of what to ask next, what could give him more answers in one, but his mind is to mixed up and he settles for something he has seen and read about. “So they can alter what people do, if they want, and even make people feel a certain way and…”

“He would never,” Kihyun interrupts his sentence. “This ability has various levels, various options of usage, but he would never, ever use it for someone to like him or fall in love with him,” he elaborates further, taking a sip from his coffee. “Anything you feel for him is your own responsibility, not some vampire magic,” he adds and stands up, re-felling his mug as the one’s around the table.

ChangKyun’s cheeks have colored deep red and he holds tighter onto his mug. This was and wasn’t the answer he wanted to hear. He wasn’t even sure if this really was the question he wanted to ask as his dreams were far more concerning than the ragin pterodactyls in his stomach whenever Wonho was near. But there he was, blushing red as tomato, two pairs of eyes looking at him with all knowing grins on their faces.

“So…” Jooheon smiles so wide his eyes are almost gone, yet still sparkle with something devilish hidden in them, “it’s not just food and shelter for you anymore. How cute,” he adds and ChangKyun considers using the white mug he is holding as a weapon.

“Wonho almost never uses his mind control powers,” Kihyun joins back in the conversation, “If he would approve of them, he would have made Hyungwon go to hospital, rather than stay here,” the smiles from their faces are gone and it’s obviously a serious topic.

“Are you about to tell my life story to make people cry?” as if hearing his word had made him teleport here, Hyungwon sauters in, the long sleeves of his brown oversized jumper flailing around. “Why do you want to bring him down this early?” he asks in a raspy tone and takes a seat in the fourth chair that’s at the table.

“I don’t mind. If I live here, I should know, shouldn't I?” Changyun objects and observes how Hyungwon crosses his arms on the table and lays his down on them.

“I had cancer,” he states so briefly, so easy it seems as he talking about having a cold rather than a terminal illness. “A lung one, so near the end it was real nasty - coughing up blood, not being able to breathe or speak properly,” he continues as casually while the other two look rather grim, as far as ChangKyun can see.

“The chemotherapy had 5% success rate in my case and I didn’t want to rot away in a hospital bed with no hair, looking like a living corpse, so I came here to tick off at least something in my bucket list,” he smiles softly and Kihyun smiles in return, probably being the one who helped with the paperwork, as medical record was a requirement.

“I assigned him to Wonho because it felt like the right thing to do. In a way it was,” Kihyun adds and Hyungwon nods. He’s half asleep - as always - but it doesn’t look like will fall asleep any time soon.

“He, of course, found about my health condition right away and refused to take away any of my healthy blood, yet I talked him into it. Two months I was capable to be a feeder and then everything went from bad to worse,” now even Hyungwon’s smile fell, “In no time I couldn’t do anything that required too much physical work and just layed around for days. Oddly enough, I bet more people and vampires came to visit me here than they would in hospital. I have heard so many lovely stories, so many lives have been introduced me that not going through the pain in hospital was the best idea.”

“Minus some legal issues we faced, but those were cleared fast,” Kihyun interrupted again, his eyes focused on the liquid in his mug. This was a heavy topic, despite the light way in which Hyungwon was telling it. Changkyun just listened quietly, sipping on his coffee that was slowly getting cold.

“In the rather short time, Wonho had become one of my best friends, if not the best one, as he listened to me attentively, took care of me and poured his sad past out in long night talks. For him it was a lot harder when it was evident I literally had counted days left,” Changkyun can notice how Jooheon clings onto his mug tightly, this event probably being one reason why he wanted to protect Wonho so much. Hyungwon obviously saw that too, but still continued: “It was definitely my last day, when he asked me a simple question - do I want to live? Up till that point I was ready to die. I had said goodbye to everyone in the human world and made sure legally everything is left in Kihyun’s hands but that question…” the last minutes of Hyungwon being awake were evident in his voice and actions, as he closed his eyes for a moment before continuing.

“His question made me realize I indeed wanted to live. So… his offer was simple and I took it,” Hyungwon finished his story with a smile, getting more comfortable on his folded arms. “Wonho could have made me think I need to go to seek professional help so many times, but he didn’t. He doesn’t use his powers like that,” he added before his eyes slipped close, his breathing got even signifying he just fell asleep on the table.

“See? Told you,” Kihyun spoke as he stood up from the table and gathered the empty mugs and dishes. “Whatever you feel is your own doing, not his… in a way,” he added with a smirk. “He is mad attractive, so it is kind of his fault,” he continues, the same grin on his face and ChangKyun sends daggers with his gaze to Jooheon who is about to burst into laugh, as ChangKyun’s face is probably red again.

“Thanks for the breakfast,” he murmurs and gets up from the table. There’s a loud outburst of laugh, followed by a panin filled yelp when he leaves the kitchen, but he doesn’t even need to go back to know what happened. As per usual already he makes his way to the library. The book sleep tore away from him was still laying in his reading spot, only the last age left and it takes under 5 minutes for ChangKyun to be back to the bookshelves. He scans the countless rows of colorful book backs until a title quite ironic for this library catches his eyes. “Dracula” - says golden letters on a blood red cover and ChangKyun doesn’t hold back the urge to indulge in the novel that introduced creatures no one thought were real to the world.

He settles on the couch again and disappears in the letters of Jonathon, Mina and Lucy. The world portrayed is farm more darker than the chatter and laughter filled mansion he now called home. It’s almost unsettling and he closes the book the moment first vampires appear around the library. He puts it back in the shelf where he took it and makes his way to his room, the disturbing images of the nosferatu manipulating people in their sleep triggering theories in his head.

ChangKyun doesn’t feel like eating or drinking, the theories swarming in his head, and he enters his room fully forgotten who he left there in the morning. He is though reminded of it when something beyond even his suddenly wild imagination steps out of the bathroom.

There’s nothing more but a towel, hanging dangerously low on a perfectly, beyond stunningly sculpted, pale body, droplets of water enhancing each shadow playing in the carved muscles. The silver hair of the man are deep grey, dripping a little and everything about him screams lewd and obscene to ChangKyun’s mind and he can’t control it. The pterodactyls in his stomach are going crazy and he can’t even push a word pass his lips.

“Ouh, I am so sorry. I realized it’s not my shower only when it was already too late and as you usually read till late in the library I thought I could leave before you return,” the vampire tries to explain, being as flustered as ChangKyun. The later almost screams, his eyes going big, as the towel almost falls off and Wonho catches it almost, almost too late. “I will be right gone. I am really, so incredibly sorry,” he continues, the nervousness in his voice making the lisp even more evident as he gathers the clothes he had taken of by habit.

“Don’t… don’t worry,” ChangKyun can barely speak, yet he tries and ends up turning his back as he has doubts on controlling his front. “You should probably get dressed…” he ads even though it’s obvious. He tries to remain calm and breathe to calm down the raging mess of emotions in his stomach and his brain somehow goes back to the things he read, the disturbing vampiric behaviors described.

“Wonho… can I ask a question?” Changkyun asks, still not facing Wonho, and hears a belt buckle clinging and a hum of approval. “I read… a book and I was wondering… Can you, by any chance, enter dreams?” he blurts out and suddenly the room is completely silent. He waits for a second before turning around and finding the room completely empty, as if Wonho hadn’t even been there. Did that mean, he could? Could it be, that ChangKyun’s dreams were more than it seemed? Or did he just unknowingly offend the one person he wanted to know more about?

Notes:

GUESS WHO'S BACK!
I am sorry for the long wait, but real life is a especially when you work in education and have to correct things at the exam time hahahahaah.
ANYWAY, here is a BIT longer update with Hyungwon's back story and a bit of an edge for upcoming chapter. I will keep the fic short. There will be no manufactured drama or plot twists, so, maybe 4 - 5 chapters and I'm done ^_^ Hopefully soon, but as Monsta X bingo will kick off (check it here -> http://archiveofourown.org/collections/MXbingo ) who knows.
Anyway, feel free to stick around for more WonKyun for the bingo and in general!

P.S use the hashtag #TheBlueFlowerFF on twitter if you are speaking about the fic. I check it often ;)