~ I ~

The Blue Flower

ChangKyun sat down on the bed that was placed right next to the window, large pale silver moon shining through the thin curtains illuminating the room after he had made several laps around the said room. A lonely night lamp of the simplest design stood on the bedside table, few hard cover books, written in a language ChangKyun couldn’t recognize, sitting there and basking in the yellowish light. There were no other light sources in the room apart from the window and the rather pathetic lamp, if not a few half burnt candles of various colors, melted on the top of an antique looking chest of drawers, which was the most luxurious looking item in the room along with the dark-wood piano next to it.

The piano looked only a few years younger than the chest of drawers, the revealed ivory keys used to no end, with dents and scratches. A life-roughed-up teddy bear slouched on top of it. The brown faded from its coat, one of the glossy marble eyes replaced by a button, that was stitched on in a not very ‘professional’ way. It was sadly adorable and creepily disturbing at the same time, just like the whole room all together.

The wardrobe opposite the bed was as plain as the lamp and the night stand. The simple metal frame chair next to the to the piano was as plain-office-style as possible. There were no carpets, no paintings, no picture frames, no mirrors even. Most part of the room was left empty as an arena or a stage. So this was a room of a vampire.

ChangKyun took a deep breath and gripped on the fabric of his jeans above his knees as he looked around the room, skipping quickly over the menacing shadows in the further corners of the room. He had to admit - he had expected rich fabrics like silk, brocade and satin in colors of rich red and darkest of black fill a room filled with items of various luxurious descents. This was nothing like that. Not a single bit. It was as minimalist, as plain as imaginable and only the piano and the chest of drawers gave it some sort of life. Even the navy blue sheets ChangKyun was sitting on didn’t liven up the pale pastel green walls.

He stood up and took another lap around the room. He didn’t touch a single thing, walking in safe distance from each item, his heart already threatening to jump from his chest. ChangKyun had gotten himself from one mess to another. From being as good as homeless to becoming “devil’s e” or more commonly known as a ‘feeder’ - the most detested yet still needed profession out there.

When few decades ago the outburst of vampires begun and more and more of confirmed their existence, the need for a controlled ‘meal schedule’ for the night crawlers was required. That was the result of equality and all kinds of rights movement activists. Even demons of darkness had their rights. Feeders were created as an ‘open bar’ approach for vampires to feed from those who volunteered. Soon it grew into businesses that were more than just for feeding purposes, establishments reminding of brothels sprouting around every larger city. No one could deny that blood was by far not the only service provided and the society baptized all feeders as “devil’s es”. As if it wasn’t the collective idea from the same righteous society to star all this.

ChangKyun sat down on the navy covers again. He had agreed to join an establishment going by the name “The Blue Flower” for two simple reasons - they offered free living space and meals and they didn’t ask any questions but the medical card to be clear. Right now he didn’t need anything else, but he definitely didn’t know what he was getting involved in. Around 15 vampires and 20 feeders inhabited an average sized colonial style mansion, divided into groups for all females, mixed and all males. ChangKyun fell into the latter, which frightened him even more and even the lovely people around him did not help. In all honestly, they couldn’t have helped a lot in one day anyway.

There was a big, broad, tanned guy named Shownu, who appeared in the early morning and evening hours as during the day he slept, but at nights he was a companion to a white-haired, fairy like vampire called Minhyuk. A chubby cheeked boy going by the name Jooheon, not much older than ChangKyun himself, appeared on irregular times as his companions Gunhee didn’t live in the inn. A newly turned vampire Hyungwon sauntered around the house in half asleep state once in awhile. ChangKyun was a direct replacement for him to the last inhabitant of the male side - a vampire he still hadn’t seen, going by the name Wonho.

He still hadn’t been introduced to all details of a vampire-feeder relationships, nor the lifestyle of either, yet here he was, shaking like a leaf in an empty room, waiting for it’s owner to return. Hyungwon had promised to tell him more, but his own feeder - small, sassy, bright pink-haired guy named Kihyun - had arrived and he postponed the lesson for another day. ChangKyun was left clueless and frightened. And all because of his own fault.

It neared 1 a.m already and he silently hoped that the vampire he was waiting had decided to stay out. He had been waiting since 11 p.m patiently (and anxiously) but now there was a ray of light that his second night in the inn would be as calm as the first one. He let out a breath and run his hand through his ash blond hair before he stood up, reaching down to turn off the lamp and leave when a shadow in the corner to his right next to the bed moved. ChangKyun froze with his hand on the switch and looked at the corner with wide and terrified eyes.

The shadow started to waver like a flag in the wind before ChangKyun’ eyes. It was as if the rules of physics had suddenly stopped to exist when a heavy black boot took a step out of the wall. ChangKyun fell back on the bed, his mouth gaping open in soundless scream, as a human form came from the shadow, all dressed in black. Heavy combat boots, tight jeans, a deep cut v-neck shoving of a sculpted chest tucked in the jeans held up by a leather belt and a black, long coat to top it all off. His silver hair was slicked back and up in two arches, reminding of moonlit tidal waves; the lightest sky blue eyes, borderlining a pastel color, shone in the dark and quite literally it was hard for ChangKyun to breathe. It would have been a gorgeously breathtaking view if not the unexplainable amount of fear going through ChangKyun’s body. The man had just came through a wall from nowhere, as the wall led to the outside of the building.

“Are you waiting for me?” asked a pleasantly raspy voice, more on the low end of the spectrum. “I would have came back earlier if I would have known,” the man who just came out of the wall said and took a step closer and ChangKyun tried to move back instantly. The man froze and looked down at Changkyun with confused, almost hurt gaze. If not something blocking ChangKyun’s throat he would have screamed but it seemed as if the scream itself was blocking the airways in his neck, so he remained simply staring at the man who was now basking in the moonlight from the window, his pale skin almost glowing.

“What’s your name?” it looked as if the vampire forced the question out, his lips barely moving. In response ChangKyun opened and closed his mouth soundlessly a few times before he could push his own name out. “Are you HyungWon’s replacement?” came another quiet question and ChangKyun nodded. “So… do you know how this happens?” he asked and even ChangKyun didn’t have a slightest clue, he nodded and squeezed his eyes shut, stretching his arm out. Nothing happened for the longest few seconds until ChangKyun could feel a hand taking his. It was colder than his, definitely, but not ice cold as he would have imagined. He opened his eyes one at a time and allowed himself to be pulled on his feet. It was as if he was feather light and it didn’t even feel as if the vampire put any real strength into it.

“I think you need to go,” the vampire spoke so sadly even ChangKyun’s raging and ridiculous fear couldn't block him from hearing it. “Thank you for waiting, but you are obviously frightened,” he added and with a small smile and still holding onto ChangKyun’s hand led him to the door. The latter didn’t have to be told twice, he didn’t say a word and didn’t wait for the vampire to say anything else and as soon he was out he ran to his room as fast as he could, tripping and falling once or twice.

ChangKyun closed the door with a bang, resting his back against it. He was still shaking in shock and fear. He had just seen a human (relatively) walk through a wall. He was just in a present of a vampire who above all the powers that were circulating around, they could define the laws of matter. If the vampire wanted, he could walk straight into ChangKyun’s room and nothing could stop him. A shiver run down his spine and he sauntered away from the door, turning each and every source of light on, eliminating any possible shadow in the room.

He frantically took his clothes off, as if they were filled with invisible bugs crawling all over him, the scene of the figure appearing from nowhere making his skin to crawl. Even the smallest sound make him jump, his own shadow looking menacing and potentially dangerous. Stumbling over his barely off jeans he dived into the bed, pulling the blanket over his head as a frightened child. It could protect him from ‘monsters’ when he was little, so maybe it could work now as well. While running away from life on the street he had run into something more dangerous.

Almost desperately he tried to fight of sleep, waiting for the dawn to come somewhere outside his windowless room, making the night creatures to disappear, yet his eyes were against him, and soon he fell into the sweet trap of sleep. It’s warm, peaceful and bright and he enjoys the feeling of somewhat safety until a light more blinding attacks his eyes, the blanket gone from over his head. Slowly, he blinked his eyes open and meets the same sky-blue one’s he saw as it seemed already hours ago. Yet now he felt no fear at all.

“Did I scare you earlier?” comes the question from the vampire who was now sitting on the edge of ChangKyun’s bed. The black coat was gone from his shoulders, revealing the short sleeves tightly clinging around his biceps. The waves in his hair were almost gone, falling over his forehead a bit more and he looks nothing like the beacon of dark magic that came through a wall several meters in the air.

“Yes,” ChangKyun replied, his voice heavy with sleep and he could barely keep his eyes open, yet he didn’t want to close them now when fear is not stopping from admiring the alabaster pale features of the man in front of him. The puffy almond shaped eyes, the high cheek bones, the sharp jawline and strong chin, the pointy nose and full lips. All this he missed in momentary panic.

The vampire let out a sigh and his long, slim fingers gently threading through ChangKyun’s hair. “Was it the way how I came in?” he asked and ChangKyun nodded in response. There’s the sad expression on the vampire's face again. “I see. Is there a possibility I could make you not fear me?” he asked again, his touch gentle on top of ChangKyun’s head and it’s getting harder and harder to focus on what’s going on.

“I think… yes,” ChangKyun replied and the softest smile spread on the vampire’s lips. His fingers left ChangKyun’s hair and he fixed the blanket around other’s bare shoulders.

“Then I will think of the best way to fix this misunderstanding,” he said with a smile and was about to stand up. But wasn’t this meeting in a dream too short? What was this momentary vision even?

“Can’t you stay a bit more?” ChangKyun blurted out as it indeed seemed not enough. The vampire’s gaze was soft and he sat back down. He petted ChangKyun’s head and oddly, for once in a very, very, very long time the human felt like something was happening right how it’s supposed to be.

“I’ll wait until you wake up then,” the vampire said and the lights around them began to dim down, melting into a heavy twilight. ChangKyun wanted to protest that he is awake now, but his eyes gave up on him again and he slipped back into the world of sleep. This time everything was dark and heavy, loud noise near him making it impossible to sleep.

With a loud groan he opened his eyes up and looked around the dark room. The alarm that showed 9:30 a.m was the cause of the sound. That meant it’s time to wake up. Still half asleep and frowning, ChangKyun turned the alarm off and yawned loudly, stretching his arms in the air, images of unbelievably realistic dream coming back to him vividly. Was it really just a dream?

He looked around the dark room, it slowly dawning on him that he had left all the lights on. Fearing each shadow that would appear he the night lamp. Nothing else had changed - his clothes were still scattered on the floor, yet at the same time it felt like something extremely had changed through that dream or rather a vision.

ChangKyun rested his face in his palms. “What have you gotten yourself into this time?” he murmured not even being close to knowing the answer to that question.

___________________________________________________________________________

 

The first chapter is a short, superficial introduction to the setting of the AU and the two main characters.
While writing this further I will use more "true vampire powers" from Bram Stoker's original masterpiece Dracula and tweak the image of these night creatures a bit more to my liking.
IDK when I will update, but hopefully soon (more tags will be added as the story progresses).
Do tell me what you think :)