~XII~

The Blue Flower

Something crucial feels awkward and out of place. It’s like an invisible layer of fear, regrets and things unknown to ChangKyun have wrapped around near everything and everyone and he is the only one left out of the loop.

The young, stunning man who looked not human, nor did he look like a vampire, checked the cut in his lip and the bump on his head. Neither required anything more but cleaning and an ointment and it’s a relief. His eyes look for Wonho, who hadn’t moved from his side since they arrived back, and he is indeed where he was before, however the dak hood is still covering his face and it seems as if he is and isn’t here at the same time.

The vampire doesn’t say a word when they walk to their room and ChangKyun says he will take a shower. He just nods and sits down at the piano. He doesn’t look or act like himself, or maybe this is him and everything before had been a mask that had been washed off by blood during the night’s massacre. It is a question ChangKyun doesn’t want an answer to, at least not now.

The water in the shower is somewhere between scalding hot and steaming hot and ChangKyun sticks his head right under it. He was told to be careful with the bump on his head, but he feels himself reeking of alcohol and cigarettes and it makes his own stomach turn. He generously soaps his hair and body, letting the water wash over him with no stop. It takes him a minute to realize that the bathroom door is as shut as it was and no one is joining him. To his mind this was the time, the moment when Wonho would sneak in faster than other times, but he was obviously wrong.

When he returns to the room - the air near freezing cold in comparison to the shower he had just gotten out of - Wonho is still sitting at the same spot. He has obviously changed clothes - the all black attire switched to a combo of deep blue and grey. The blood stains are gone from his hands and face, yet other than that he seems motionless to a worrying level.

“I knew I should have remained in the bed with you in the morning,” ChangKyun breaks the silence that now made his skin crawl, even though it usually was so comfortable between them. He sits on the bed with legs crossed under him and rubs his still damp hair with a towel, looking at the silver-hair for any reaction at all yet there is none.

“Now it’s over and will never repeat again. It was scary, terrifying even, I have to admit,” he leaves the towel on his shoulders and fiddles with the edge of his, no, actually it was Wonho’s t-shirt he was wearing again. “But I knew you would find me, just like you promised that you always would,” he continues and looks at the vampire with faint smile on his face, but the usually so expressonate man remains frozen with a blank face.

“If you think I am creeped out or disgusted by what you, Minhyuk and Hyungwon did, then don’t worry,” ChangKyun tries to think of a reason the man would be so distant suddenly, so cold and silent. He had had doubts on limits of his supernatural power he could display for ChangKyun, perhaps he thought he had gone overboard. “I understand it must be a vampire thing and I don’t pity any of those men. Perhaps some of them are even better off dead than being toys for others. Heck, back in the day I had thought death was better option for many times,” he continues and his eyes focus on slight movement in the vampire - the hands that were resting on the edge of the piano clenched into fists so tight, his white skin became impossibly white over his knuckles.

“Is it something else? I can’t read minds, so I don’t know what’s bothering you and I seem to be the only one who doesn’t know,” the human tries a bit harsher approach, his words and his tone less playful and calming and more demanding.

“Is it something that happened today? Is it me in general? Can you at least give me a hint?” he demands, his voice bounces around the room and comes back to him as if it had passed Wonho entirely. “What am I supposed to do?” he continues, yet there is no response. The man remains where he was, his fists tense, yet face motionless and stunning in it’s stillness, like a marble statue carved by greatest masters. However he was not a statue and the silence of one could drive ChangKyun crazy.

“Fine. I will be here whenever you will want to talk and I hope you will be here in the morning,” he ends the one sided conversation and stands up from the bed. Stubbornly he takes the same stance of silence and doesn’t say a single word more. He dries his hair quickly and returns to the room with the man still not moving and crawls under the blankets, turning his back to the room.

The lights soon turn off and he feels a weight sitting down on the bed behind him. The blanket is arranged around his shoulders more neatly and just for a second he feels a familiar touch threading through his hair, but it’s gone way too fast. If not the extensive amount of stress his body and mind had gone through, ChangKyun would turn around and try confronting the vampire one more time, but his eyes feel heavy and he can’t fight the sleep off even if he tries.

The next morning begins a crazed dance he wishes he could stop, but he is like a marionette pulled by invisible strings, following along a set pattern of movements. On night two after one the most terrifying days of his life, he notices that something or rather someone is forcing him to sleep. It takes no genius to understand who that someone is, the reasoning behind Wonho’s actions, however, is a mystery.

On day three ChangKyun notices that Wonho isn’t sleeping himself. The darker shadows under his eyes are getting more and more prominent. He doesn’t leave his room either and exist there like a prisoner of his own will. He doesn’t search for ChangKyun in the evenings and the latter has to admit he doesn’t even have to, as everyone around him urge him to leave either the library or the game room whenever the clocks on the wall strike 11PM. Everyone in the house, apart from him, knew what was going on and even though he was at the very center of it all, he didn’t have a slightest clue.

It’s day four when ChangKyun draws the line. It’s the day when Wonho should feed, but even though he has been mute and distant, he seems even more distant today. His face slowly starts reminding of the horrid nightmare creatures from movies rather than the beauty carved by most skilled hands. Long, dark shadows creep around his features, his blue eyes getting dimmer and dimmer. This is the night ChangKyun draws the line.

“When are you finally planning to tell me what is going on?” he stands behind the man who is yet again sitting in front of the piano. “I do think I have all rights to know why are you acting like this, why is everyone aware of the reason and I am not,” he continues talking to the broad back and it’s irritating.

“You could at least turn to me when I am speaking,” he ads in an almost juvenile, offended way, however it works and the silver haired man turns around.

“If you really, really can’t tell me - this whatever probably vampire thing - at least don’t ruin yourself because of it,” ChangKyun walks closer and stands above the man. “You need sleep and you need to feed, yet you are neglecting both. If you think I am now afraid of you it’s absolutely ridiculous and not true,” he continues and rolls up the sleeve of his jumper. “Don’t make me quote a chocolate bar commercial, but perhaps having a bit would make it at least a bit better,” he tries to joke around, but the vampire doesn’t seem responsive at all.

“Fine,” ChangKyun scoffs and with full force bites down on his bottom lip. The metalic taste of his own blood fills his mouth and the scent swirls in the air. Finally there is a response from Wonho, his eyes wide and shocked as he looks up, but he doesn’t have enough time to do anything else.

ChangKyun’s hands are on his cheeks, holding him in place, as he pushes his lips against Wonho’s. There’s no resistance and he let’s the blood from the wound he made himself freely flow into the vampire's mouth. Such small cut in such inconvenient place doesn’t give much, but it’s enough to revive the seemingly frozen creature.

Wonho stands up without breaking the kiss, his arms tightly around ChangKyun in an embrace the human had missed almost desperately, and his lips move against ChangKyun’s in the same perfect dance they had done so many times before. It’s a fluid, natural movement around the room in a split second before ChangKyun’s back is pressed against the mattress, most gorgeous creature hovering above him. Barely there, but the sparks are back in his forget-me-not blue eyes and it’s like a huge weight has been lifted from ChangKyun’s heart.

“You are insane, to attack a vampire like that,” For the first time in almost 5 days ChangKyun hears Wonho’s voice again and hs heart is doing flips like the first time he heard it. The deep, raspy tone with the most precious lisp due to the pointy fangs was the sound he had missed as much as the arms holding him right now.

“Getting silent treatment for 5 days without even knowing why can drive one insane,” ChangKyun replies and he can already feel how Wonho wants to move away, but the is once again faster - his hands back on the still round cheeks, eyes locked with the vampires. “If you can’t tell me something, don’t,” he speaks looking straight into the endless blue lakes looking back at him, “but don’t cut me off completely,” he pulls the vampire closer, gently kissing the full lips and letting himself being pulled into a dance of lips and tongues that makes him shiver from head to toes.

“I’m sorry,” Wonho whispers against his lips and even though it is an apology, even though he is speaking again and ChangKyun can actually feel him, he knows the vampire is not over whatever was bothering him before. Trying to pull an answer from him would be too much and this already was progress.

The vampires lips pull away as ChangKyun is the one lost in thoughts now and trace over his jaw and neck. They don’t stop at the pulsating arteries as they usually do and go lower to ChangKyun’s shoulder. The shirt is pulled aside as much as possible before a familiar, just barely there sharp pain tingles the humans skin as Wonho sinks his teeth into his shoulder. It’s a very brief moment, shorter than ever before and it almost seems it’s being done because ChangKyun insisted and not because of need.

It’s over as fast as it started and the sky blue eyes are looking back at ChangKyun. “Will you now agree to sleep as well? Just a little bit?” the latter asks and even though there is concern and fear mixed in the endless eyes of the eternal being, he nods.

Just few minutes later the lights in the room are out, two bodies pressed close together under the covers and everything seems calm and as it should be. “Promise you will sleep as well, not just fake it,” the human requests and there is a nod from the vampire, sealed with the sweetest kiss. It all seems right, ChangKyun falling asleep on his own and not forced into the dream world, but not for long.

 

ChangKyun’s eyes open and he can’t tell where he is. The room is round and with high brick walls, a hatchet instead of ceiling. He is in the middle of the odd tower-like room, his legs and arms chained to a pole that seems to be made of a metal as heavy and dense as the shackles themselves. He cannot move and it oddly reminds him of just few days ago, but this time he feels more despair surrounding his heart.

A door right in front of him opens and a group of me, all dressed in black, near carry another man in. The silver hair, the pale skin, the broad shoulders - ChangKyun recognizes him immediately as he is forced on the gray, seemingly ash covered floor at the very edge of the door. His hair is longer than ChangKyun has ever seen, his clothes odd too as if they were in a completely different time and land.

A hand clad in black glove grabs a handful of the silver locks and forced Wonho to look up. The moment the blue eyes ChangKyun could never mistaken for anyone else sees him, the man goes into panic. He trashes in the grasp of the men, who are obviously not human, and tries to pull forward despite the hand holding his hair. His voice echoes around the round walls and at first it’s a language ChangKyun doesn’t understand, but slowly his ears start to grasp the words.

“No! I beg you! Don’t do this! Not to him!” Wonho screams as he tries to break out of the hold, yet his effort is unsuccessful. He looks straight at ChangKyun and even though he has been looking at him for a moment now, struggling to get to him, it seems like only now he realizes who actually is in front of him.

“No!” he yells out even more desperately. “No! Not this! ChangKyun, wake up! Please!”  he screams and almost manages to launch forward, but a hand pushes him completely down on the dusty floor, yet still making him look at the tied up man.

“Open it!” A voice ChangKyun does not recognize yells out and a loud sound of mechanics echoe around the round room. It gradually becomes lighter and lighter and after a second ChangKyun realizes the hatchet above him is opening, daylight pouring in. What catches him by surprise is the burning sensation spreading over his body.

He looks down at his torso, small flames dancing around his clothes almost visibly, eating away he fabric and then starting to chew on his flesh. He feels the flames chewing on him - layer after layer - and he wishes he could scream, but he seems to have gone mute. He tries to pull out of the shackles, but after a few tries, his bones already being nibbled at, he gives up. His eyes are locked with Wonho’s, who still tries to move forward, to break free, but it’s useless.

The flames are now dancing inside of ChangKyun’s ribcage and it’s getting hard to breathe. It feels like the flesh he no longer has all aches at the same time, like the decaying bones are being crushed over and over again. Soon he can’t see Wonho anymore, he can’t take a single breath and everything - the sound, the feeling, the vision - disappears into nothingness.

 

Gasping for air ChangKyun jumps up in the bed and struggles the covers off him. He stumbles out of the bed, stands in the middle of the room and runs his hands over his own body in panic. It felt so real, it felt too real how near invisible flames slowly ate him alive. He felt every bite, every nibble and couldn't do a thing about it and above all, he saw Wonho’s desperate eyes watching it all.

He looks at the bed where the vampire has sat up as well now. His chest is rising and falling with heavy breathes, his hands clenching on the blanket, eyes watery and muddy at the same time.

“What was that?” ChangKyun breathes out, his voice breaking as if it really was taken from him for a moment. “What was that, Wonho?” he asks again and stumbles to the chair in front of the piano with shaky legs and sits down.

“My worst nightmare,” Wonho replied quietly, his grip on the blanket so tight he was close to ripping. “My worst nightmare and worst memory relived again,” he adds and it’s obvious he is biting on his lower lip to keep it from shaking.

“Who.... who was I in that memory?” ChangKyun tries to calm himself down. He understands that by accident - the stress and what ever had bothered Wonho before - the vampire had projected his dream, his nightmare into Changkyun’s consciousness as he had done so many times before with beautiful, breathtaking things. This time, however, ChangKyun was in someone’s place.

“His name was Louis,” Wonho near whispers, his voice quivering. “I met him around 1855 in Europe and, oddly enough, we fell in love,” he talks slowly and quietly, his voice obviously not being trustworthy now.

“I had been alone for hundreds of years by then and I lost my connection with reality from happiness. I forgot the rules, the norms, the reasoning behind them and the punishment for breaking them,” the fabric rips a little as his grip tightens even more. “Back then when vampires were creatures of the night who had to feed in secret, we had to keep our count strictly limited. I ignored the rule and turned Louis with a thought that I never wanted to lose him,” first few drops of clear liquid fell on the blanket and ChangKyun, even though in shock and ave, stood up, his legs still stiff, and walked back to the bed.

“We were caught fast, honestly, we didn’t even try to hide. My age even back then was impressive, so disposing of me could have caused an uproar, however him…” Wonho chokes up, but pushes words past his lips.

“He was still barely turned with no real strength, we hadn’t fed in a while as well so putting up a fight was useless. They seperated us and I saw him only when they dragged me to the execution room,” he continues and ChangKyun sits down on the bed in front of him. “I begged, I plead for them to let him go. I promised things possible and impossible, but nothing was seen as equivalent of my crime,” more and more tears began to flow over Wonho’s cheeks and ChangKyun never imagined he would witness a vampire crying - his Wonho crying. Hs own heart started to ache in his chest as he now vividly saw the despair on Wonho’s face in the dream and the despair in his eyes now.

“They forced me to watch as a punishment,” Wonho is shivering, his whole body about to fall apart from the memories so vivid and horrid, ChangKyun could only imagine.

“I can still remember, how at one point he no longer screamed for help, he no longer moved against the chains. He just went silent and no matter how hard I tried to call his name, nothing happened. His skin went from grey to pitch black patch by patch until nothing was left. Until the chains around him crushed the figure of ashes into a powder and collapsed on the floor with the most disgusting sound I have ever heard,” ChangKyun finally moves and pulls Wonho close - the vampires face against his shoulder - and holds him as close as he can, tears soaking his shirt.

“I swore to never fall like that again, to live with the curse that separates me from humans. To never make someone go through that again. But then you happened…” Wonho whispers against ChangKyun’s neck, his arms tightly around the latter’s waist, holding onto him with all he had. “And I thought that maybe this time it will be different, but then… when they woke me up and you were gone,” it’s almost impossible to understand what the vampire is saying through his sobs, his frame shaking. ChangKyun wishes he would have more strength to hold him tighter, but now he had only his miniscule human strength to use.

“The very thought that I could have lost you… It brought it all back and...” Wonho’s voice is just barely there and ChangKyun can’t hold back his own tears as someone seemingly so strong was actually so broken and destroyed.

“I couldn’t have handled losing you. I can’t lose you,” the silver hair mumbles and it seems that the attack of such vivid memories have taken the last strength from him.

“You won’t lose me. Ever,” ChangKyun presses a kiss on top the silver mess of hair, his own voice breaking. “Times are different, there are no rules. And all those who would want to take me away from you were disposed off,” he pets the silver-hair slowly, trying to calm his own racing heart in the process.

“I didn’t even notice you were gone until someone told me, I…” Wonho starts to ramble again and ChangKyun stops him by pulling away from the embrace. He cups the face he loves and adores in his hands, his thumbs sweeping way the still disobedient tears running down the full cheeks and makes the vampire look at him.

“You promised you would always find me and you did. I never doubted you would find me and it’s all that matters,” he gently caresses the pale cheeks and as tenderly places a soft kiss on the still shaking lips. “I have already been through hell and back, Death too close to me for far too many times and I swear, I won’t let her take me away from you no matter what. You’re stuck with me for a very long time,” he speaks wholeheartedly and finally there’s a small smile on Wonho’s lips, ChangKyun’s heart calming down at the sight.

“And I swear,” Wonho rises his hands to ChangKyun’s cheeks even though they are still shaky, “I will not you to her, nor to anyone else. This old fool has learned enough over centuries about losing what's dear to him,” he is the one who now moves closer for a short, sweet kiss and that’s exactly what’s needed.

His fear to close his eyes - both due to nightmares and the fear of missing something important again - was not understandable, as well as his silence and expressionless face. So much was running through his head it’s remarkable he held up for as long as he did. Maybe he was trying to be strong for the wrong reasons for far too long, not only now but before as well.

Wonho slumps back against ChangKyun’s shoulder, his arms wrapped around the human’s waist.His breathing is calmer, tears no longer flowing from his eyes, and eve though the unfortunate events of few days ago - the haunting of ChangKyun’s past - had ripped a carefully mended heart back open. Now it was Changkyun’s task to fix the destroyed heart again and he swore to himself to not only fix it, but never let it break and bleed like this again. Even if he was a mere human.

Notes:

Hello!
Here is a new update revealing a bit of Wonho's long, long past. What are your thoughts?
During Christmas time I can't promise and update because I will be with my family, but who know. Perhaps there will be a Christmas miracle! :D
Do use the hashtag #TheBlueFlowerFF if you tweet about the story or check it for my updates on my creative journey
!
Till next time!


Other WonKyun Fan Fiction

|| Come Back Alive || Leashes and Kisses || Ribbons and Rings || I'm Thankful for You ||