Big boy

Happiness

“Hwannie.. you’re a big boy already.. you have to get used to sleeping alone in your room” Hongbin says softly, patting his son’s head softly.

Jaehwan pouts at his mother’s statement. He wants to sleep with his parents, he likes the feeling of protection and safe. He wants to cling onto his father like a koala bear.

“But Hwannie wants to sleep in between daddy and mommy!” Jaehwan whines, showing both his pout and doe eyes.

Hongbin sighs softly. It’s not that he doesn’t want to sleep with his son, but there is a reason that they give the boy his own room. Jaehwan has been used to sleep in his room for some time, only occasionally sleeps with his parents when he claims that there is monster under his beds However, it changes since few months ago. Before this, Sanghyuk was way busier than now, end up only came home late night, mostly after the baby fell asleep. Hongbin has trained Jaehwan to sleep alone since he does not want it becomes a habit and one day Jaehwan will need to sleep alone.  

Maybe is because Sanghyuk feeling guilty due to his lack of involvement with his son. Maybe is because Sanghyuk dotes on the baby boy a lot. The father always invites his son to sleep with him and his wife. It has been around 1 and half month that Jaehwan is sleeping with them. Hongbin knows that there is nothing wrong but he has spent time so that the boy is brave enough to sleep alone and now his effort gone.

“Just let him sleeps with us. My little prince need me to help him chase away those monsters and nightmares.” Sanghyuk says and chuckles.

“Daddy!” Jaehwan exclaims and runs to his father.

Hongbin looks up and glares at his husband then walks towards the other.

“Hwannie, mommy need to talk to daddy for a while. Be good and wait us at the bed okay?” Hongbin says and points at the bed. Jaehwan pouts and tucks his father’s large hand.

“Babe..” Sanghyuk says softly and Hongbin glares at him. Then, he realizes that his wife is serious now so he follows his wife out of the room.

“You know.. Jaehwan needs to learn to sleep alone.. Hakyeon said that Taekwoon started sleeping alone around that age too!” Hongbin exclaims.

“Of cause I know.. but.. how can I reject my baby when he looks at me with pretty does eye!” Sanghyuk replies helplessly. He has to admit that he is always the one who breaks the rules; he knows that he pampers Jaehwan a lot, way more than Hongbin does; he even hopes that his baby boy will never grow up so that he can pamper him forever. He is also well aware that Jaehwan is quite dependent since he practically only spoils his baby despite his wife’s protest.

Hongbin sighs again, “I know you just want to pamper our baby. I love him too. But that doesn’t mean that he doesn’t have to learn to be independent” he says.

“I’m sorry babe” Sanghyuk says and pecks his wife. Hongbin nods and going back to their son’s room.

“So can I sleep with daddy and mommy?” Jaehwan asks as soon as he spots his parent enters the room.

Hongbin pushes Sanghyuk lightly, signaling that the father should be the one who talks to the boy.

“Baby… why don’t you try to sleep alone tonight?” Sanghyuk asks softly and sits beside his son on the bed.

“Why? Hwannie has been a good boy ...” Jaehwan says softly, clearly upset with his father’s question.

“No no.. Hwannie is a big boy.. don’t you agree?” Sanghyuk replies immediately. Jaehwan nods but still pouting.

“What if monster comes to me when I’m sleeping?” Jaehwan pleads, hopes that he can go sleep with his parents.

“Daddy will make sure that all the monsters are gone.. no worries” Sanghyuk comforts his son with a small smile. Hongbin smiles at them, his big baby is convincing their baby boy.

“Baby.. its not your first time sleeping alone.. let shows daddy that you are a big boy, okay?” Hongbin says with a sweet smile.

Jaehwan contemplates for a while, he doesn’t know why suddenly his parents want him to sleep alone when they are totally fine with him previously.

“Okay..” Jaehwan says softly and lies on his bed.

“I’m so proud of you baby” Sanghyuk says, leaning down to peck his son’s forehead.

Hongbin smiles and softly lays the duvet on top of his son. “Good night baby” he says, not forgetting giving his son a good night kiss.

“I love you daddy. I love you mommy. Goodnight” Jaehwan says softly and yawns.

“My baby boy is becoming a big boy” Sanghyuk says when he leaves his son’s room while Hongbin is laughing at him, saying that the younger is just dramatic.