School

Happiness

“Mommy?” Jaehwan calls softly. Since its night and quiet, his soft voice manages to echo the relatively large bedroom.

However, his parents who are already asleep while cuddling can’t hear him.

Jaehwan pouts and enters the room, walking over towards the bed while hugging his teddy bear tightly.

“Mommy? Daddy?” Jaehwan calls again, this time with louder voice.

Jaehwan sniffles as his parents still not moving and he is too short and small size to climb onto the bed himself. He starts crying as the adults do not response to him.

Hongbin who hears someone crying in the room pulls himself away from his husband’s embrace and sits up while looking around.It breaks his heart to his son is crying alone on the floor, hugging the teddy beat tightly like his life depends on it.

Hongbin immediately leaves the bed and approaches his son. He carries Jaehwan and soothes the crying baby.

“Why are you crying baby?” Hongbin asks softly and hugs his son tighter against his chest.

Sanghyuk who senses something happens in the room also wakes up, his sleepy eyes fall on his wife and his crying son. Sanghyuk leaves the bed and joins them.

“What happened?” Sanghyuk asks softly.

“Nightmare.. monster…” Jaehwan whispers and continues crying.

Sanghyuk laughs softly and Hongbin glares at his husband instead.

“Its okay, baby” Hongbin says and wipes away the tears on Jaehwan’s face.

“Little prince. Daddy is here. Nothing will harm you” Sanghyuk says and takes Jaehwan away from Hongbin.

“Daddy will protect Jaehwannie?” Jaehwan asks, his eyes shine with hope.

“Of cause. Daddy will protect you forever” Sanghyuk says and pecks his son’s forehead.

“Thank you daddy. I love you” Jaehwan says and snuggles against his father. The parents smile at their adorable son.

“Do you want to sleep with us tonight?” Hongbin asks sweetly and points at the bed.

“Can I?” Jaehwan asks softly and stares at his mother.

“Of cause you can, sweetie” Hongbin says and lies on the bed, patting the empty space beside him.

“Come on~ its late and you have to sleep, buddy” Sanghyuk says and carries his son to the bed.

“Can I hug you, daddy?” Jaehwan asks, sitting on the bed instead of lying.

Sanghyuk chuckles and opens his arms widely, the kid giggles and latches himself onto his father’s torso.

“Such a papa’s boy” Hongbin says fondly and pats the kid’s head.

“He loves you too” Sanghyuk says.

“I know. Good night baby. Daddy and mommy are here to protect you” Hongbin says and pecks Jaehwan’s forehead.

“Goodnight daddy. Goodnight mommy. I love you all” Jaehwan says before falling asleep.

 

The next morning comes too soon, Hongbin groans and turns off the alarm.

Jaehwan is also awake due to the alarm except his father who is still sleeping soundly.

“Baby, come here” Hongbin whisper and opens his arms.

Jaehwan smiles and goes into his mother’s arms, “morning mommy”

“Help mommy makes breakfast?” Hongbin offers, decides to spend some time with his son and let his husband to sleep for a while more before leaving to work. Jaehwan nods and both of them leave the room.

“What you to eat today?” Hongbin asks and examining the available ingredients in the refrigerator.

“Hmm.. sandwich! With ham and eggs!” Jaehwan exclaims happily and Hongbin replies “sure.”

To be honest, there is nothing Jaehwan can help Hongbin with. Jaehwan only able to help Hongbin in taking out the bread from the packaging or spread the tomato sauce messily on the bread.

“Such a lovely scene in the morning. My lovely wife with my little prince in the kitchen, making me breakfast” Sanghyuk says as he enters the kitchen.

“Daddy! Morning!” Jaehwan exclaims happily and runs to his father.

Sanghyuk chuckles and holds his baby up, but keeps a distance between him and his baby as Jaehwan’s face is such a mess and he already changed into his work attire.

Sanghyuk when places Jaehwan on his high chair while Hongbin is serving them breakfast. Instead of sitting at his usual seat, Sanghyuk goes to take the wipes from the living room, decides to clean his baby’s face before having breakfast.

“What are you going to do today?” Sanghyuk asks as he eats his breakfast. He has the habit of asking his wife daily schedule, it makes him feels assure as he knows where he can find them.

“I will go for grocery shopping with Jaehwannie later” Hongbin says.

“Jaehwanie likes grocery!!” Jaehwan exclaims, not minding the bread which fall from his mouth.

“Be careful” Hongbin says and continues “I’m planning to visit Hakyeon hyung later?”

“huh? For?” Sanghyuk asks in curiosity, Hongbin does not mention about that before.

“I’m going to ask him about the kindergarten. Its time for our Jaehwanie to go to school, don’t you think? We have discussed about it earlier don’t we?” Hongbin says.

Sanghyuk nods as he remembers that Hongbin has brought up the topic earlier the week, saying that Jaehwan is old enough to go the kindergarten. Its true, its better to grow up with same age friends and his baby needs more friends and playmates.

“You gonna send him to same kindergarten that Taekwoon attends?” Sanghyuk asks.

“Maybe? Since it is one of the few that we have selected and filtered, I decide to talk to Hakyeon hyung about it before making decision” Hongbin says.

Sanghyuk nods at the reply. Hongbin is very reliable, his wife always makes wise decision based on consideration and much researches.

“Jaehwanie will go to school?” Jaehwan asks after he finishes eating his sandwich.

“Yes. You will” Hongbin says with a smile.

“Will it be fun?” Jaehwan asks.

“It will” Sanghyuk says and Jaehwan only nods in response, smiling innocently.

“Daddy! Work hard and I miss you” Jaehwan says and giggles

“Alright. Love you both” Sanghyuk says and pecks both his wife and son before he leaves to work.

“What you want to buy?” Hongbin asks Jaehwan when he is writing the to-buy-list for the day.

“Jaehwanie wants strawberry! Chocolate! Bread!” Jaehwan exclaims happily while playing with his toys.

Hongbin chuckles but also notes down the things that Jaehwan want. Both him and Sanghyuk dote on Jaehwan a lot, since he is their only child and Jaehwan’s aegyo only makes it worse.

“Come on. Lets go change and go for grocery” Hongbin says and asks Jaehwan to follow him.

Hongbin decides to wear matching outfits with Jaehwan. He likes wearing matching outfits with his husband or son, he feels that its cute.

“Waaaa.. I look the same as mommy” Jaehwan exclaims as he looks at his mother who wear the similar outfit as him.

“Do you like it?” Hongbin asks.

“Jaehwannie and mommy look so handsome” Jaehwan says and giggles. Then, they leave the house and head to the supermarket nearby.

“Mommy. Buy this. This!” Jaehwan exclaims and keeps jumping, pointing at a snack which placed much higher than his height.

“Baby. You can’t eat this” Hongbin says, notices that the main ingredient of the snacks is milk.

“I know! But daddy likes it! Buy it for daddy!” Jaehwan says and Hongbin smiles, his baby is definitely lovely.

“Okay” Hongbin says and Jaehwan nods in satisfaction.

After done with grocery shopping, Hongbin decides to have lunch nearby before visiting Hakyeon.

“Baby. Lets go eat burger, okay?” Hongbin asks in which Jaehwan nods furiously.

“Two beef burger sets. Can you replace the milk with almond milk for the milkshake?” Hongbin asks politely as he places the order.

“Sure. Is that all?” the waiter asks and Hongbin nods.

“I will come back with your order later” the waiter says before leaving.

“Mommy~ We going Woonie hyung’s house later?” Jaehwan asks while glancing outside the window.

“Yes, baby” Hongbin says and Jaehwan smiles.

“Here’s your orders, sir” the waiter comes back 15 minutes later with their order. Jaehwan’s doe eyes shines with happiness with the sight of food.

“Yummy!” Jaehwan exclaims as he takes a big of the burger and shows his mother his toothy smile.

“You are same as your daddy. Both of you love burger” Hongbin comments and smiles.

“I miss daddy” Jaehwan says and pouts.

Hongbin suddenly feels a bit jealous of his husband, he wonders if he is away for a while, whether Jaehwan will miss him like how he miss his father.                                                                                                              

“Do you want to talk to daddy?” Hongbin asks and Jaehwan nods furiously.

Hongbin nods and takes out his phone from his pocket to make a video call.

“DADDYYYY!” Jaehwan greets excitedly as Sangyuk appears at the screen.

“My baby!” Sanghyuk replies happily.

“Did you have lunch?” Hongbin asks, hands still moving to get the perfect angle.

“Yes, I have. You?” Sanghyuk asks.

“We had burgers!” Jaehwans answer and Hongbin nods.

The conversation goes on for the next 20 minutes until Sanghyuk is forced to hang up the call to continue working. Jaehwan pouts but Hongbin is quick to sooth him with a lollipop.

Hongbin decides to buy some pies before heads to Hakyeon’s house. Although the elder insists that he does not have to do so, but Hongbin thinks that it is more polite.

“Baby. Later be a good boy and greet people politely, okay?” Hongbin asks.

“yes mommy!” Jaehwan replies.

“We are here” Hongbin announces then gets off the car, and proceeds to help the kid to get off the car as well.

“I want press the doorbell” Jaehwan whines and Hongbin carries his son. However, the door opens before Jaehwan manage to press the doorbell. Jaehwan pouts and whines.

“You are here!” Hakyeon says and welcomes them with a warm smile. Taekwoon is standing beside his mother with a smile as well.

“These are pies. I heard like you like apple pie and Taekwoon likes pumpkin pie” Hongbin says and holds up a pastry box.

“I told you that there’s no need to bring anything over” Hakyeon says and Hongbin only laughs as reply.

The adults start talking and discussing at the center  of living while the kids are playing happily at the corner with toys.

“You are going to send Jaehwan to school?” Hakyeon asks, taking a bite of the pie.

“Yea. Sanghyuk and I have talked about it and we think its about time for him to explore” Hongbin says and glances at his son who is giggling happily.

“Have you selected the school?” Hakyeon asks.

“We have selected and filtered some. One of them is the school that Taekwoon is attending. So I want to ask for some opinions.” Hongbin replies with a smile.

“Oh! I can say the one that Taekwoon attends is very kid-friendly? The equipment and furniture that they use are safe with minimal risk of injuring the kids. The teachers are good as well, so far I have never heard of any complain about the teachers. They provide lunch, too. Its good I guess? Because Taekwoon never complained to me about lunch before” Hakyeon says.

“Ohh.. it seems that the place is not bad” Hongbin says.

“What criteria are you looking for actually?” Hakyeon asks, trying his best to solve the younger’s concern.

“Hmm.. We are looking for a place which balances both curriculum and extra-curriculum. We want Jaehwan to have some outdoor activities as well. Since Jaehwanie is very shy, I am looking for a place which is warm and relaxing, colourful place as Jaehwanie likes drawing a lot” Hongbin says, suddenly feels a bit shame that he may sound like an over protective parent. However, every parent would want their kid to be in a good environment, isn’t it?

“Ohh. Then Taekwoon’s kindergarten is a good place! They decorate their classrooms with cute paintings and Taekwoon likes them a lot. Its very clean and comfortable environment” Hakyeon says happily.

“Hyung, you sound like their ambassador” Hongbin says and chuckles.

Hakyeon laughs and days “Because I have gone through the phase where I did a hell lot of researches to search for the best kindergarten. In this area, the best one is the Starlight kindergarten, which is the one Taekwoon is attending. I know your worries and concerns. Believe me. Kids don’t lie and Taekwoon always say that he likes his school”

“It seems that you help me to finalize the decision” Hongbin says and both the adults laugh.

“Taekwoonie~ come here” Hakyeon calls and Taekwoon walks to his mother reluctantly. He is finally having some fun time with Jaehwan. The younger has open up to him and starts talking to him instead of him talking alone. He pouts and glancing back, Jaehwan is still immerse in the toy car he lends him earlier.

“Uncle Hongbin wants to know about your school” Hakyeon says and pats his laps, in which Taekwoon seats himself on his mother’s lap.

“Its fun! The people are really nice and fun” Taekwoon says and smiles.

“Really?” Hongbin asks, Taekwoon is really adorable in his eyes.

“Yes!” Taekwoon answers.

“Taekwoonie, maybe Jaehwannie will be your schoolmate soon” Hakyeon says.

Taekwoon who can’t hold his excitement, exclaims loudly and happily “Really?”

“Most probably” Hongbin answers and Taekwoon immediately runs to Jaehwan.

“Hwannie! We are going to the same school!” he announces happily when he stands beside Jaehwan.

Jaehwan looks up with innocent eyes, clearly shows that he does not know what the elder is talking about.

“Mommy” Jaehwan whines and goes to his mother, with Taekwoon following him behind.

“Baby. Do you remember that daddy and I say that you need go to school soon?” Hongbin explains and lets his son to snuggle against him.

Jaehwan nods, getting comfortable in his position.

“Mommy is thinking to send you to the school Taekwoon is attending” Hongbin says.

“Woonie hyung’s school?” Jaehwan asks.

“Yes. Taekwoon will be at the same school as you. Isn’t that great?” Hongbin asks.

Jaehwan keeps quiet for a while and says “Yes! Woonie hyung is Jaehwanie’s best friend.”

Taekwoon smiles widely and hugs Jaehwan “Hyungie will play with you at school!” he says. Jaehwan blushes madly and returns the hug awkwardly.

“I guess that you don’t have to worry about Jaehwan. I’m pretty sure that Taekwoon will look after him” Hakyeon says and Hongbin nods.

Hongbin smiles as he sees Jaehwan is having fun with Taekwoon. His baby is making friend and Taekwoon is definitely a good one.

“I guess so. I hope they will be best friend for life” Hongbin says fondly.


Enjoy reading :D