minshua ii

peachy peachy pink

" 할 말 있어 지금 "


 

Joshua was fifteen while Mingyu was fourteen. Joshua was a transferee student from US, leaving the comforts of his own home to follow his dreams; to know his roots—to find himself. He left his parents and went to Korea to live independently. Mingyu admired Joshua for doing that at such a young age— living in a country he’s not too familiar with, no close relatives living near him. Brave would be the word he’ll use to describe Joshua.

 

But just because he’s brave doesn’t mean he’s invincible.

 

Mingyu’s a brilliant student, a fact known to many. He skipped a year, and that’s the reason why he became Joshua’s classmate and friend. Joshua might be one year older than him, but that doesn’t mean he’s the one who’ll protect Mingyu from the bullies, in fact, it’s the other way around.

 

It was never easy on Joshua especially when he’s constantly being bullied by their classmates.

Joshua was never good in reading and writing hangul, he’s fluent in speaking Korean, yes, but that doesn’t mean he’ll have a smooth-sailing life in the university; it would still give him a hard time adjusting. But because of Kim Mingyu, Joshua was able to adjust fairly well with the constant guidance and help of his friend-slash-protector.

 

Joshua wasn’t stupid, he never was. He knew that some people will give him a hard time just because they want to. Joshua’s too kind to fight back so he usually let things slide which irritated his friend, Mingyu, to no end.

 

“Why do you let them talk to you like that?” Mingyu huffed, Joshua can tell that Mingyu’s trying to hold his anger for him, knowing that Joshua never liked violence. Mingyu’s not a violent person to begin with but their so-called classmates were grating on his nerves for treating Joshua badly. Joshua doesn’t deserve that. Joshua’s too kind, too delicate, and too soft. How can they even look at him as if he’s an unwanted outsider?

 

“It’s fine, Mingyu, just let them be.”

 

“No. It is not fine at all.”

 

Joshua sighed, looking at Mingyu with pleading eyes. Mingyu’s heart ached for his friend. You deserve to be treated right.

 

“Well fine. I’ll just do what I want to do to protect you.” Mingyu said with finality in his tone

 

“Mingyu…”

 

“No, I won’t hurt them. I promise.” Mingyu reassured him. With that, Joshua gave him a gentle smile

 

Mingyu returned it with a grin on his handsome face.

 


 

“Look at that mutt, wagging its tail at Mingyu. Ha. Pathetic.”

“He’s only around Mingyu because he’s benefitting from his brilliance. What a leech.

“Bet you he’s seducing Mingyu just to get high grades, poor boy, can’t even survive without leeching off others’ hardwork.”

 

Blah blah blah

 

Just because Joshua’s brave doesn’t mean he’s okay.

 

Mingyu covered Joshua’s ears, he felt him tremble, trying to hold back his tears. Mingyu turned his head behind them to glare at those people who were blabbering and talking down on Joshua. They’re all useless. They’re the type of people who will never succeed because of the way they think. Because they’re full of envy and hatred. People like those don’t deserve to succeed, they’re the ones who will pull others down just to reach the top. Mingyu’s not the type to wish other people bad luck but what he’s trying to say are pure facts. They will never achieve anything in life if their hearts are filled with jealousy.

 

Scums.

 

Mingyu reached for Joshua’s hand, pulling him towards the exit— to keep him away from evil people who wanted to break his innocent soul. Mingyu won’t let them. Mingyu will protect Joshua no matter what.

 


 

Joshua was eighteen while Mingyu was seventeen. True to his words, Mingyu protected and pampered Joshua in his own way. He would wake up early to cook breakfast and packed lunch for him and Joshua. He took care of his hyung like he’s a delicate flower, Joshua once scolded him for babying him too much, Mingyu only laughed, he knew Joshua needed to be babied sometimes.

 

“You’re spoiling me too much, what will happen if we separate ways already? How will I survive then?” Joshua joked

 

“Maybe I do like spoiling you, and no, we won’t ever separate, hyung. And don’t worry, I will always cook for you because I know your stomach grew to love my superb cooking.” Mingyu said proudly, Joshua’s eyes crinkled with a smile. Mingyu felt his heart skipping a beat.

 

“You’re too optimistic, Gyu. We can’t tell the future” were Joshua’s cryptic words, Mingyu felt sad, knowing that what Joshua’s saying is true. He can’t stay with him forever unless Joshua wants him to.

 

Because I’ve decided for a long time that I wanted to be with you.

 

“I know but it wouldn’t hurt to hope, right?”

 

“Right.” Joshua tilted his head to the side, hair falling in front of his eyes. Mingyu, without thinking, reached out to fix his hair, gently moving it away from Joshua’s beautiful eyes when a sudden noise interrupted the serene moment. Mingyu looked to the side and saw a group of guys snickering. Mingyu watched as they mimic his previous action towards Joshua, laughing out loud as if what they just did was something funny.

 

Idiots. Mingyu thought, he knew where this is going. When Joshua’s about to turn his head to look at the men, Mingyu put both of his hands on Joshua’s cheeks to stop what he’s planning to do

“Don’t” Mingyu spoke softly before moving his hands to cover Joshua’s ears. Mingyu held eye contact with Joshua as he let the men mock them. Mingyu didn’t care. In fact, they’re the disgusting ones. If they cannot respect other people for caring and loving another, then they’re not worthy of Mingyu’s attention at all. They’re a waste of time, energy and breath.

 

But Joshua? Of course he would care but Mingyu would have none of that. Joshua doesn’t deserve to hear awful things. He’s too innocent. Mingyu’s willing to take all the bullets for him if it meant keeping him pure and happy.

 

After all, Mingyu’s in love with him.

 

But that’s something Joshua doesn’t need to know.

 

Mingyu would go as far to protect Joshua from himself, if needed be.

 

Mingyu looked at Joshua’s eyes, conveying the words that Joshua knew by heart already.

 

“I will protect you.”

 


 

Joshua was twenty while Mingyu was nineteen when Joshua decided to leave Mingyu without saying a word.

 

Mingyu cannot believe it.

 

Why?

 

Mingyu’s confused— he’s lost.


What did I do wrong? Did I hurt him?


Questions filled Mingyu’s brain and nothing is making any sense. So what would be the best thing to do? Follow Joshua to wherever he’s planning to go. He didn’t stop Joshua from leaving, he wouldn’t— couldn’t.

 

Mingyu followed him to US. Back to where he truly belonged. Where his family lived. Mingyu wouldn’t ask him to come back, heck— he wouldn’t force Joshua to do anything that he doesn’t want to do but maybe, Joshua could at least give him answers, right?

 

Mingyu knocked on his door. Mingyu heard footsteps from inside, heard a muffled “coming!”

 

Mingyu waited, holding his breath.

 

The door opened, revealing surprised cat-eyes that Mingyu loves.

 

“Hey” Mingyu breathed out

 

“Hey” was Joshua’s only response, too shocked to see Mingyu at his doorstep

 

“Can you go out with me for a while?” He asked beating around the bush “I have something to ask and say”

 

“O-okay. Just… let me get my jacket.”

 

“Of course.”

 


 

Mingyu went to the vending machine to buy some drink for him and Joshua, when he returned, Joshua’s sitting on a park bench quietly. Looking so guilty.

 

“Here” Mingyu offered

 

“Thanks”

 

The taller male sat beside him, not too close, not too far.

 

“Why did you leave?”

 

“Family matters.”

 

“I see” Mingyu took a swig of iced coffee

“I’m sorry” Joshua said

 

“For?”

 

“Leaving without telling you… I’m an awful friend”

 

“Hmmm… yes you are” Mingyu chuckled, Joshua looked ashamed “but it’s alright, I am not your father or something, you’re not obligated to tell me everything.”

 

“Thank you, Mingyu.”

 

“But Joshua, I think you’re not telling me something that I should know, hm?” Mingyu quirked an eyebrow, daring him to lie

 

Joshua’s like an open book, easy for Mingyu to read.

 

“Like wh-hat?”

 

Mingyu thought that Joshua’s just too cute to resist. He put down his drink beside him before facing Joshua fully. Mingyu stared at those beautiful eyes before moving his hands to touch Joshua’s warm cheeks, rubbing at it soothingly. His hands then settled over his ears, covering it gently the way he used to do.

 

Mingyu always did that to block away the hurtful words thrown at him.

 

Mingyu made it too easy for me to…

 

But Joshua’s gaze were already focused on Mingyu’s lips so it wasn’t hard not to miss the words he just said.

 

But more than that, Mingyu’s pulse said it loud and clear.

 

Why was I too afraid again?

 

All this time. Joshua knew, but he was just too afraid to admit everything. To accept the obvious.

 

He’d always known, because the silence of Mingyu’s love was far too loud in his ears every time he protect his heart from hatred.

 

In fact, all this time, Joshua was only able to hear Mingyu’s love.

 

Maybe they were right after all, I’m stupid.

 

“I’m sorry again, Gyu.”

 

“Don’t be.”

 

“I was too much of a coward because I ran away. But I just want to let you know that I was too afraid to become the reason for you to break. I thought I was protecting you. I thought I’d be able to repay you for everything that you did. But I was too stupid to see that that’s not what you want—what you need.”

 

“You’re right because Jisoo, you’re all I need.”

 

Joshua wrapped his arms around Mingyu’s waist, pulling him closer to let him feel his own heartbeat.

 

“Thank you, Mingyu, for always being there. I will no longer run away.”

 

Mingyu pulled away to look at Joshua’s beautiful face before leaning down to capture those lips he’d longed for.

 

“Finally, my brave Joshua is back.”

 


A/N: Blame the 'Boom Boom' choreo. But seriously, BOOM BOOM is MINSHUA'S ERA  haven't checked for errors yet~ I'm just procrastinating btw.