Don't Judge a Book by it's Cover

New Blood

When a mortal is first changed into an immortal they are called new bloods. The new blood stage can last up to 5 years depending on the individual. As a new blood, you will feel things more intensity than you ever will as an immortal. All of your senses are heightened and you will be at your strongest peak. At this time is when an immortal needs to train and set a ground of their abilities so that they can learn to control them. New bloods feel emotions more than an older immortal. After the new blood phase, emotions should return to normal, and be controllable. Some of the heightened abilities include speed, strength, mind control (mortal and/or immortal), heightened hearing and smell. 

Smell? I took a deep breath and all I could smell was the stench of old blood from my clothes and the smell of Woozi's sweatshirt. It still smelled of him, I could even smell the shampoo he used. This is too weird...that would also explain why I'm getting upset so easily. I skimmed through a few pages and started to read again. I tried to not waste my time and get the most important parts.

Along with all the abilities you gain, there are also weaknesses. Sunlight burns and can kill an immortal, therefore we are slaves to the night. The only ways to kill an immortal is to either burn them or detach the head from the body. The act or attempt of killing a mortal or immortal is forbidden and will result in the death of the killer themselves, unless it is under self control. Controlling another immortal to kill is also forbidden, in this case, the immortal controlling would only die. The act of changing a mortal can only be acceptable, only in act of saving a life. Changing a mortal in any other circumstances will result in death for both the new blood and immortal.

I flipped a couple more pages. 

Immortals and mortals may have interactions, but it is recommended that the immortal erases their memory for the protection of the race, when deemed appropriate. The immortal must be extremely careful when having ual relations with mortals, for the difference in strengths could kill the mortal. Immortals themselves are unable to conceive children, with mortals and immortals. 

Suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder, it was a touch, but I still jumped a bit. "Seungcheol," I sighed and pointed, motioning to the book, "I'm finally reading it" I laughed and he did as well.

"I see, and you're almost done too, did you want to come down and train for a bit? We want to see what you're capable of" He asked smiling at me and I nodded eagerly, I really wanted to see what I could do too and see how strong I really was. I set the book down on a nearby table and followed Seungcheol, "so do you still have questions?" He asked, trying to make conversation. 

I thought for a second, the book did a lot of the job, most of my questions would be about the people I'm now living with, "no, not really, but I'll let you know if I do." I smiled widely at him. 

We walked in silence until we got to the basement. When he said 'training room' I imagined in my head a decent sized room with normal gym machines. That was not the case at all. As soon as we got down the flight of stairs the ground was all dirt and rock under us. It was a large, open, well light room filled with boulders and tires. My mouth hung open as my eyes just scanned the room. "Woah" was all I could say, I was both amazed and confused.

Seungcheol laughed at my shock, "you better take that look off your face before the others get here and tease you" 

Just as he said that I heard multiple voices coming from behind me, I turned around to see them all sitting on the steps behind me. "Well come on, we want to see what we're up against!" DK yelled, teasing me. 

Jun stood up and walked into the room, "I'm the fastest one here, you won't beat me. So give it all you got." He challenged me. I thought he was the quiet and shy kind of guy. I guess I was wrong. He was cocky and confident, there was nothing wrong with that, but it caught me off guard. Maybe everyone's real personalities are starting to come out.​

"First test will be speed, Jun, show her to the edge of the training room. Let's see how long it takes you to get to the other side and back to us" Seungcheol ordered. He simply nodded and guided me to the edge of the room. I'm normally a pretty competitive person so I could tell this was going to be fun. We both had a hand on the wall and I could see him smirking from the corner of my eyes. 

"Don't get too cocky now" I taunted, we gave each other a quick glance before we heard an air horn and we were off. I was keeping up with him, or at least I thought I was. I could hear the guys cheering as we got back, "did you see that?! MiYoung totally tied Jun!" Dino jumped excitedly. Did we really tie?

My eyes drifted towards Woozi who was writing in a notebook, looking up every couple of minutes, but then going back to his notebook. He stood out like a sore thumb in comparison to the others who were jumping around, unable to sit still.​ I felt a hand ruffle my hair, it was Jun, "I'm impressed, but now let's see how strong you really are." His eyes looked at a nearby boulder, he had a cunning look in his eyes. 

Seungcheol walked towards the rock and smirked, "Jun might be the fastest, but I'm the strongest" He took a deep breath and kicked the boulder into pieces. My eyes doubled in size, could I really do that too? Or was he just that strong? I could hear the others cheering yelling at me to 'show him how it's done'. There was one, a similar size to his near me as well. I walked up to it and did what I saw him do a few seconds ago. I took a deep breath and tried to focus all my energy on my legs. I kicked the rock as hard as I could, and the rock exploded around my foot. My foot stung for a second, did I just do that?

The guys were cheering again, even louder this time. "Seungcheol! She might actually be stronger than you!" Seungkwang , knowing that he was already a bit bothered by the fact that I might be the fastest and strongest one here.

"Maybe her legs but not her arms!" he fought back. He was right, we punched a few rocks and I only made dents where his completely crumbled. "Here," He said putting his hands on my shoulders behind me, "do it like this." He gently slid his hands from my shoulders down my arms and around my fists, "when you punch, turn your body like this"

I was a bit distracted by his warm breath on my neck, and his husky voice in my ear, but I tried to pay attention to what he was doing, "t-thanks" I said as I moved slightly away from him, calm down Jae MiYoung! He was only trying to show you how to punch correctly! I mentally yelled at myself. I took a deep breath and punched how he had just shown me. The rock didn't crumble like it did for Seungcheol, but it did crack in half instead of just denting it. I excitedly threw my hands in the air and wrapped them around Seungcheol, "did you see that?!" I yelled jumping up and down.

I quickly stepped back after realizing what I was doing, I was so embarrassed, "see, I knew you could do it." He said and smiling down at me.

The boys were all yelling something at us, but since almost all of them were talking at once we couldn't understand. Well, until Hoshi yelled over all of them, "I'm sure that's the most action he's gotten in 100 years!" He teased, and the others laughed. 100 years?! How old are they?

"H-Hey!" Seungcheol was embarrassed this time, I could tell, but he still gave them a look that could kill.

"What have I gotten myself into," I accidentally sighed out loud. Oops, I hope I didn't hurt their feelings. "I-I didn't mean it in a bad way!" I spat out, trying to make things better, but I could tell I was just digging a bigger hole.

Joshua smiled at me, "don't worry, we really are a lot of fun"

"No, I know you guys are a lot of fun I just-" 

"We get it, it's okay," Wonwoo said stopping my blabbering, "Joshua was just messing with you." his face looked annoyed but his voice sounded soft and understanding. 

I looked around, it felt like someone was missing, Woozi. "Oh," I chuckled, trying to hide that I felt really embarrassed, "I'll be back, I'm going to change my clothes really quick." I really wanted to get out of my old clothes and wear something new, but I also wanted to find Woozi and thank him for the map and sweatshirt. The boys nodded and waved goodbye as I walked past the group. 

I went to Woozi's room first. I knocked, no answer. So I knocked one more time, still no answer. I tried the doorknob and it was unlocked, I'll just leave it on his bed and write a note. I walked into the room, it looked almost exactly like mine but the color scheme was different and there were a few pictures around and a guitar in the corner. I could hear the shower running, he must be in the shower, I should make this fast. I quickly took off and folded the sweatshirt neatly and laid it at the end of his bed. I looked around for any kind of piece of paper and pen. As my eyes scanned around the room, I came across the same notebook he was writing in earlier, that'll do. I tiptoed over to the nightstand next to his bed and there was a pen next to the notebook as well, well that's convenient. I opened the notebook to the back page that was completely empty and wrote,

Thank you Woozi for the map, it's a huge help! I don't know how I would survive without it! It was really nice of you to do that.

And thank you for the sweatshirt too!

-MiYoung-

I ripped the page out and set the note down on top of the sweatshirt, just then, I heard the water turn off. In a panic, I threw the notebook and pen next to the sweatshirt and sprinted out of the room.

I quickly and quietly made my way to my room. After shutting the door behind me I was faced with the same problem before, the piles of new clothes to put away. Hmm... I wonder. I quickly put everything away in seconds using my new found speed. This could come in handy. I quickly grabbed a tight black shirt and loose gray sweatpants and quickly changed into them. Well, this is great!

Just as I had finished putting my new clothes on I heard a violent knock, I jumped at the suddenness, "MiYoung! I know you're in there open up!" 

Both confused and scared I only cracked my door open. "Y-yes?" I peeked through the crack, Woozi?

Before I could get anything else out he shoved the door open, causing me to stumble back a bit. What the hell? He stormed into the room holding out a piece of paper, "what is this?!" He yelled, holding the note I left him in my face.

"It's a thank you note?" I snapped and shoved his hand out of my face. I started to get irritated at the fact that he was mad that I left a thank you note.

He rolled his eyes in annoyance, "you know that's not what I meant. Where did you get this paper from?" He snapped, so it isn't the note, it's the paper?

"Your notebook? Why?" I was so confused and irritated on why this was happening. Was he scared I was going to see something? Is he hiding something? Is that his diary?

"I knew it! What did you read in there? Huh?!" I didn't realize but we were slowly getting closer, so now he was only a few inches away from me. His eyes were glowing red in furry, I'm sure mine were too.

"Nothing! I didn't see anything! I opened the back cover and saw that page had nothing on it, that's all, I didn't read anything!" I explained a little louder than I meant to. I didn't know why he was so upset with me, I thanked him! "I was trying to do something nice and thank you! I didn't know doing something nice meant I get screamed at! I thought you were this caring person that I could be good friends with, but I guess I was wrong! " I completely snapped at him.

"Just stay away from my things! Okay? We don't have to friends!" He stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind him. Who does he think he is?!

I paced around my room in frustration, and my breathing started to get heavier. The deeper the breath I took the more I noticed a foul smell. I stopped for a second to figure out what I was smelling. It didn't take long to figure out it was me, after sweating for hours I decided it was time to finally take a long hot shower. Maybe that will help calm me down too.
 
After a couple of minutes in the hot water, I started to feel my angst start to melt away.

Just as I was changing back into my clothes I heard a knock at the door. "J-Just a second!" I yelled out. Before opening the door, I quick checked my appearance in the mirror, good. I took a deep breath to calm myself before I opened the door.

Seungcheol was on the other side of the door frame, "hey," he waved, "can I come in?" he asked and I smiled and nodded, showing him in. He casually sat on the edge on my bed, making himself at home. "You never came back to training, is everything okay?" he looked at me with worry written all over his face.

If it was anyone else I would have had second thoughts about opening up, but I trusted Seungcheol. He was now the only one I completely trusted. I sighed in frustration and plopped next to him on my bed, "Woozi got pissed at me for something stupid and I was just too upset to come back down." I explained to him and he laughed at my misfortune.  

"That sounds like Woozi, he's got a very short temper," he said like this happened all the time, "so what did you do to make him mad, Youngie?" I explained to him everything that happened in detail. He looked at me with a shocked expression and sighed, "He'll get over it in a couple of days, just let him be." He said to me, "but I think I should explain something to you so this doesn't happen again." I looked at him with a confused expression. "Woozi writes music, and sells his songs anonymously for a lot of money, his music is actually our main source of income. He doesn't want the rest of the guys to know about this, he's scared they'll treat him differently. That notebook is filled with his deepest feelings and memories. I guess he uses what's in it for lyrics." I started to understand why he got so mad at me, but if the others don't know about this, why is he telling me? "Well I better let you get some sleep, don't forget we're going swimming tomorrow, everyone is really excited!" he smiled at me and got up from my bed.

I smiled back and sat up, "I won't, I'm really excited too! And thanks for explaining things to me, I guess I understand why he got so mad now." 

He ruffled my hair and started to walk out the door but then at the last second he turned around, "Hey," he said and I looked at him questionably, "I'm really glad you're here" he said, giving me the most charming smile. Before I could say anything back he turned back around and I heard him yell in the hall, "goodnight Youngie!"

I quickly changed into something comfortable enough to sleep in. I wonder what he meant by that...what a strange guy. For the rest of the night I was tossing and turning in bed, my mind would not shut up. What did Seungcheol mean? What's in Woozi's notebook? Where are we swimming? What do I wear? Ah! shut up head!!