Chosen - Chapter 2

Killer Soul-mates

27 Nov. 2011

The trio sat within the comfort of their lounge, sprawled across couches and armchairs as the television blared in the centre of the room. Beyond the window, thick sheets of rain pummelled the ground, a flash of lightening flickering across the sky as they awaited the crack of thunder. Within them they urged to spread their exciting news with the others, to somewhat rub it in their faces jovially that their soul-mate had been found while the others may have expected weeks to find theirs, as they may have expected. Yuri pressed her index finger on the mute button of the remote, silencing the TV as she cleared , assuming she was ready to share her exciting news with the others who lay lazily, snuggled within the folds of their blankets. 

 

“I have something to say,” she announced proudly, lifting herself from the couch as she slid the blanket from her body. She paced herself before them as the words remained frozen in her breath, unable to be said.

 

“So do I,” Taecyeon added.

 

“Well I do too,” Wooyoung said, a smirk curving at the corners of his lips. He ran his fingers through the blonde strands of his hair as they glued to his forehead from perspiration. Under his breath, he muttered numbers, slowly counting down to the moment when he would reveal the truth about Tiffany and how he had found her to be his soul-mate.

 

“I found my soul-mate!” they shouted simultaneously in happiness, nodding proudly until they came to a sudden realisation of the others words.

 

Shock and infuriation grew within them as they exchanged peeved glares, eyes widened as venom was shot through the room. The room dropped into a state of awkwardness and tension as they circled each other, shifting their weight across the floor. Neither knew how the others would counter-attack their words and they could only hope that the 'argument'  between them didn't grow heated as usual when they disagreed with the other's opinion. Yuri stared at them in distaste. They can’t be serious. I don’t want to pay them 2 hundred dollars, Yuri thought.

 

“Haha you guys are so funny. You didn’t find your soul mate, I did,” Taecyeon said hysterically. He patted on Yuri's head as if he wanted to persuade her to admit defeat, that she was lying. Yuri shot an angry glare, drumming her fingers on her wrist as she crossed her arms and slowly escaped his grasp.

 

“No I found mine and you two are liars,” Yuri shrieked, lifting the silk cushion into her hands as she threw it back and forth between them. She lifted it higher as if she was contemplating whether to approach and smack the hysteric cousin with it. Wooyoung stood idly by and watched the drama occur and grow between them, knowing the competition between the both of them was strong. He had no idea what extent either would go to to get their point across, often experiencing a fatal fight when neither got their way.

 

"Stop acting like you are so much better than me and just admit that you are lying because you're not capable of finding a soul-mate," Taecyeon teased.

 

The anger grew uncontrollable within Yuri at the sound of his words. 'Not capable' it was true that she was younger but not once had she ever felt that she was not capable to find one and put in the effort. It could have been said that she was more capable than he was, more mature and understand. His words were merely condescending of Yuri's true image. Her fingers wrapped along the leg of the arm chair as she lifted it into her grip, ready to throw it forward. Enough was enough. And Wooyoung finally decided that it was time to intervene before the situation grew any worse.

 

“Okay, stop it!” He shouted, his voice booming from his body as though they were speakers. The others felt the floorboards at impact from his voice, stopping in their tracks as they twisted their bodies towards him. “There is no need to fight. Just leave the bet, we don’t need it anymore. The important part is that each of us found our soul mate. Now we just need to get them back to our world and the rest will fall into place,” Wooyoung finished calmly as an array of colour appeared across the night sky. Yuri crouched down and placed the arm chair on the floor as she mumble a brief apology to Taecyeon while he replied with the same. 

 

“I suppose you're right. So who's your soul mates?” Yuri asked in curiosity, brow raised as she settled into the armchair she had almost thrown. The others mimicked her actions as she contemplated what damage she could have done if anger had overcome her. As a vampire, she was fairly strong and fast. She manipulated these powers fairly regularly.

 

“Im Yoona. She’is in my bio class,” Taecyeon smiled as images of her entered his mind, the beauty which could not have been missed as you noticed her.

 

“Tiffany Hwang,” Wooyoung mumbled, hoping his words hadn't been heard. He was fairly disappointed in fate's choice of mate for him especially since their experience of Tiffany hadn’t always been pleasant. And he could only anticipate their reaction to his words to be bad. 

 

To his displeasure, both burst out laughing.

 

“Your soul-mate is Tiffany," the words escaped Yuri's lips in a series of hysteric giggles, "She's a major . Good luck in the future Wooyoung." the consistent laughing continued as tears sprang to the rims of her eyes, spilling down her flushed cheeks while Taecyeon joined. He shot a distasteful stare towards them, hoping they could have at least been supportive and comforting for it hadn't been his choice. And although he agreed with them, he was going to have to grow accustomed to her no matter how evil a personality she had.

 

“Hey, it isn’t that funny. She might not be as big of a as we think she is. Who’s yours?” Wooyoung replied protectively, hoping Yuri had found someone worse so he could have done the same.

 

“Choi Minho," she emphasised his name as she became overcome with joy, "Now how are we going to get them to our world?” Yuri asked curiously as she lifted the fashion magazine from the floor and skimmed hastily through the pages as a distraction..

 

This was ultimately going to be the hardest part of their task. There was no easy way the humans would successfully travel to their world . There were very few portals: only one in each continent excluding Antarctica. The closest portal to them being in LA and even that was difficult due to their location of New York. Each began to consider various options. If they were going to get the humans to come with them, it would take a lot of convincing and bribery. There was no chance they could reveal their true intentions to the soul-mates. 

 

“I have an idea. Why don’t we ask the university to plan a trip to LA., make sure Yoona, Tiffany and Minho go, then kidnap them and take them through the portal to our world,” Taecyeon suggested, leaning backwards on the leather of the couch. He felt proud of the idea he had offered to them only to be given the questioning stares of his cousins. He immediately sat forward, eager to hear what criticism they may have had.

 

“That is such a stupid idea. Plus it could take months,” Yuri replied.

 

"I think it could really work. I mean it wouldn't be easy but it is possible," he insisted, urging them to reconsider. 

 

“Oh I have a better idea. We could kidnap them tonight so they fall asleep, take Taecyeon’s car and drive down to LA. with them not knowing anything,” Wooyoung suggested as the idea flashed immediately into his mind. He praised god for the ultimatum that was suddenly sent, planning each stage internally before any other words were said. The only difficulty that existed was just to find them and drug them successfully before their actions could be realised. 

 

“That sounds good to me. Fast and successful,” Yuri nodded in agreement. Taecyeon heaved a deep sigh in anger, storming out of the room like a child because they hadn't even considered his option before saying no. 

 

...

 

 

The next two hours passed them in a haze as they prepared to leave and put their plan into process. Wooyoung and Taecyeon stood by the door, tapping on their watches impatiently as the clock solemnly ticked the seconds away as they awaited Yuri in impatience. The slamming of her door was audible in the distance as a heavy sigh echoed in the air. She appeared ten seconds later by their side, struggling under the vast weight of two suitcases as she dragged them over the rug. She clenched the handle as one wheel became stuck over the fur rug, lifting it effortlessly as she placed it on top, internally congratulating herself for what she had managed to achieve in the two hours they had given her. 

 

“What is all that stuff for? And why did you take so long?” they asked in annoyance as she paused before them, handing her fluffy black hat into their hands as she adjusted the strands of her dark hair complete with new caramel highlights which glistened under the light.

 

“You don’t think I would go back to our world unprepared. I need some clothes and shoes. And I couldn’t find my black boots. My outfit looks weird without them,” Yuri complained, fingers wrapping around the door handle as it creaked within her grip. She pulled it open, exposing them to the intense cold of the New York air as they escaped the fervent heat. It was somewhat painful for them to leave the place that had given them shelter for the past few years. It wouldn’t have ever been a real home but the good memories would last forever

 

“Me and Woo only have a bag full. And why are you dressed all in black. You are going to make our plans too obvious,” Taecyeon replied as they followed, brushing his hand over his duffel bag. The light was lost from their surroundings, the moon hidden behind the black clouds that drifted across the night sky. The pulsing diamonds of the sky were also hidden, a street light bestowing a small circle of dim light upon the ir path. 

 

“Who are we going to get first?” Wooyoung asked, raising an eyebrow in curiosity as he placed his bag within the back of Taecyeon's car, rummaging through in search of certain objects which would aid them in their search.

 

“Yoona and Tiffany. Their rooms are close to each other so I will get some of their stuff for them and you two go and put them to sleep. I’ll meet you back here,” Yuri explained as she ran off at top speed towards the university dorms close by. Wooyoung turned briefly at the sound of her words but her silhouette was no longer visible in the midst of the dark shadows. He could only assume that she had done what she exclaimed she would.

 

...

 

“I can’t see Yoona or Tiffany anywhere! I bet we won’t be able to find them,” Taecyeon complained.

 

They paced themselves around the university campus in search of their soul-mates who weren't visible in the crowds they had found earlier within the common areas. Assuming that they would have involved themselves in the bustling New York night life, they shouldn't have left for their dorms as yet. But they could have been missed at the slightest opportunity. Taecyeon slid his hand into his jacket pocket, rummaging through his storage of sleeping drugs in search of his phone. He reached into his backpack, nodding with himself as he came across a pair of binoculars, realising they may have been just as useful.

 

“What are you doing?” Wooyoung asked questioningly. He twisted his head to the side to find Taecyeon in the process of pulling the cord over his head, lifting the binoculars into his grip as he stared into them from the opposite end,

 

“Looking for Yoona and Tiffany,” Taecyeon replied, completely focused on the job at hand as he questioned why they weren't yet working for him. He turned to Wooyoung, his eyes dramatically decreased in size as Wooyoung watched him. 

 

“Stupid. That’s not going to work if it’s dark outside,” Wooyoung said, snatching them from Taecyeon’s hand as he pulled them away from him. The cord wrapped around his neck, somewhat choking him as Wooyoung's attention averted to elsewhere. Taecyeon struggled to speak, whipping his hand across the back of Wooyoung's head in anger. He was given a brief, muttered apology as he ran his hand over the red marks along his neck from where had suffered from torture.

 

“So then I fell and that freak Wooyoung caught me,” they heard a faint voice, followed by a selection of giggles. Wooyoung pricked his arm on the thorns of the bushes, lifting his head automatically at the sound of his name. The familiar silhouette of Tiffany passed him by in the distance, a group of her eager followers walking close by. He questioned whether they were true friends of girls who were eager for the popularity that Tiffany had received from the men of the college. Rumours had circulated in the past, according to Yuri, that she had been involved with a French count who has asked for her hand in marriage but she refused. Sounded preposterous to Wooyoung but that was Tiffany.

 

“I found Yoona. She’s going into the library,” Taecyeon whispered, "I'll meet you back at the car," he added as he left Wooyoung's side, crawling towards the Library building to avoid being seen in his approach for Yoona.

 

Wooyoung took that as his opportunity to follow Tiffany and secure her on their trip towards their world once more. They paced around the campus for an exhausting period of twenty minutes in which he was overcome with boredom and anxiety as each friend slowly drifted away to their individual dorms. That was until Tiffany became completely alone and from the look upon her face, it was evident that she was in some form of distress or sadness. He took it upon himself to finally approach her and get the job done, frightened in case it back fired and she realised his ulterior motives.

 

The campus was completely deserted, students drinking in the bars of the cities or enjoying the night with a group of friends. No one would be able to notice her missing. He somewhat sympathised for her because of that; no one wanted to spend any more of their time with the superficial girl who enjoyed the thought of teasing others. He crept towards her, wrapping his fingers around her wrist and he grabbed firm of her arm, securing his other hand over . He injected her with the fluid which would cause her to fall asleep, catching her in his grip as she fell unconscious.  The faint scent of peppermint candy hung on her, refreshing wafting through his nostrils as he carried her towards Taecyeon's car carefully, placing her upon one of the seats. Wooyoung praised himself for the job he had completed successfully as he awaited the others.

 

...

 

“I’d like to take this book out please,” Yoona said to the librarian as she handed over the book, swiping her hand over the cover.

 

The warmth of the building was intense as Taecyeon paced himself around the room, avoiding Yoona's eyes as he awaited the mere opportunity of capturing her. The sudden realisation that everything was happening too quickly suddenly rushed to him. He had only met the girl earlier that day and for him to want to take her across the country and back home seemed completely unbelievable to a bystander's ears. What could have happened if she was deemed missing? Would the authorities search for her and the others immediately after they are taken. But in class he had never seen anyone approach her and she was never surrounded by anyone so perhaps no one would have noticed. 

 

“Here you go. I hope you enjoy it,” the librarian's lips curled into a smile as she handed the book into Yoona's grip, knowing her well for Yoona was an avid reader. She waved her hand as she strode towards the exit, placing the book at the top of her backpack. Yoona tightened her belt, preparing to walk out into the arctic temperatures beyond the door as Taecyeon followed her carefully, hoping she hadn't yet noticed him there. 

 

An arctic breeze washed over her as she paced herself through the campus, a shiver running along the length of her spine. Her shoes clicked upon the frozen paths as Taecyeon scurried after her, concealing himself as she turned at the sound of him. Fear overcome her, rushing through her veins, frightened of what may be approaching when she least expected it. She became cautious of her next actions, scared of what consequences could have been brought as she twisted herself 180 degrees once more. Her eyebrows furrowed in somewhat anger as she spotted the familiar tufts of hair from the corner of her eye, drumming her fingers on her wrist.

 

“I know you’re there. You don’t need to hide,” Yoona said, leaving Taecyeon off guard as he slowly inched out of the encircling shadow in unhappiness. She watched in curiosity as he strut towards her, looking as handsome as she'd ever seen him. His foot step forwards in the path of a skateboard, escaping from beneath him as he fell to a thud on the ground. 

 

“Mind helping me out,” Taecyeon called in desperation. Yoona let out a heavy sigh as she approached her 'stalker', holding out her hand for him to grab onto so she could pull him up.  He immediately took the opportunity he had lost merely seconds earlier, gripping the syringe within his hand as she was unknowing injected by the drug, immediately falling into a deep slumber.

 

...

 

“How did you get here so fast?” Taecyeon asked in curiosity. He approached the car as Wooyoung stood alongside, Yoona fast asleep while he cradled her in his arms, a drop of rain sliding down the length of her face as it cascaded from the dark overcast skies above. Wooyoung's eyes widened at the sight of her, questioning how Taecyeon had managed to receive a soul-mate who appeared so pure and innocent. He had merely been given the promiscuous Tiffany who, as he could have repeated incessantly, was not his type. 

 

“It was a piece of cake,” Wooyoung answered, pointing his index finger towards the sleeping figure within the car, overwhelmed by the warmth and comfort. Taecyeon cautiously pulled the door open with his free hand, placing Yoona inside as the rain intensified and her body shuddered vigorously. 

 

“Hi guys,” Yuri said.

 

She immediately appeared by their sides, bags in hand while she placed them in the back of the car, stuffed to the brim with the soul-mates belongings. Their bodies shuddered, eyes widened from shock as they hadn't realised her presence. Her lips curled into a smile at the sight of them, patting their backs reassuringly as they slowly returned to a state of serenity. They stood by each other in complete silence, contemplating over their next actions while they become soaked in the rain.

 

“Okay, I guess since we're all here we just need to get that Minho guy,” Wooyoung announcing, turning away from them as he paced himself towards Minho's apartment block, followed by the others. Drops of freezing liquid dripped from their clothes joined by the rain. They froze in their steps by the door that would allow them inside, feet thudding against the cold gravel.

 

“I don’t think he’s her soul mate. Don’t you think she was lying so that she could get close to him?” Taecyeon murmured to Wooyoung as Yuri strode towards them closely behind. From what they'd seen the day before Yuri was an avid admirer of Minho. She could have done anything to have him as her own, including pretending that they were soul-mates. 

 

“I can hear you.  And I was telling the truth,” Yuri asserted as she pressed her hand against Wooyoung's back, shoving him inside as he remained frozen in the middle of her path.  Both stopped in their tracks and turned towards her, holding out their hands to refrain her from entering. A cool breeze blew towards them from the gap of the door, tingling the hairs on the back of their necks. Yuri smoothed down the wrinkles of her clothes as she raised an eyebrow at their actions.

 

“You can’t come in. We'll do it. Just go and watch Yoona and Tiffany in the car,” they said simultaneously, knowing that she would never complete the job right because of her fascination towards him. Yuri groaned angrily as she stormed away, throwing them an infuriated glared, slamming the door on her way out.

 

The boys wandered through the building in search of Minho's apartment, wandering back and forth for any sign of him despite never meeting Minho before. Confusion and anxiety came over them as they passed each door without finding him in their line of sight. It was evident that Yuri would be displeased if they didn't return with him and their plan would fall to pieces if she had to wait for him any longer. Door by door, they knocked and waited for him to appear. Door by door, they were greeted by another. 

 

“So where is his room?” Taecyeon asked, a yawn escaping his lips as the boredom became unbearable.

 

“I thought you would know,” Wooyoung replied sullenly, sinking to the ground as he rested his back on the wall coated in layers of white paint. Specks of dirt spread across the wall and stained what should have been kept completely and utterly clean. Taecyeon mimicked his actions, burying his face in his hands as he imagined what Yuri's reaction would be when they returned.

 

They lifted their heads automatically at the sound of another clearing their throat, coming face to face with the one they required. “Are you guys okay? Are you looking for someone?”he asked in curiosity. His hair was dishevelled as drops of water cascaded into a pool on the vinyl floor below, clothes in the same sort of state. He crouched down by their side, thinking they may have not heard him from the questioning looks they shot towards him.

 

“We’re looking for Choi Minho,” Wooyoung announced, hoping he may have known where Minho was. 

 

“I am Choi Minho,” Minho replied, eyebrow raised for he had never met them before. He had no idea what the pair of them may have required with him as nausea sat at the pit of his stomach. 

 

“Grab him!” They shouted, swiftly wrapping their hands around his arms and forcing him to the ground. Minho overcome by surprise and anxiety, struggling within their grasp though it was no use against them. Taecyeon grabbed a handful of his hair and urged his head down as Wooyoung slipped the syringe out of his pocket. Before Minho had any chance to detest, Wooyoung plunged the syringe into his vein, the liquid flowing within him as it rushed through his body. His actions were frozen at contact, body completely still to the touch.

 

29 Nov. 2011

A ray of sunlight directed onto Minho's face as he slowly awoke, muscles stiffened from his uncomfortable stance. He felt himself moving but couldn't understand how it was possible, wrinkling his nose in disgust. What is going on? Where am I, he thought as he tried to replay the events of the night in his mind. He could barely remember a single detail as he pondered over what had happened, the brief moment that he had been forced to the ground flashing into his mind. He wasn't aware of anything else, questioning what exactly had occurred.

 

“Will you slow down? I’m going to throw up if you don’t,” the voice slipped from the girl's lips in a line of falsetto notes, somewhat familiar to him but he couldn't understand how.

 

“Shut up! You always complain about my driving. I’ve been driving longer than you so I know better,” a deep baritone voice of a man argued in response. Who is talking? I am so confused right now.

 

Minho lifted his hands from his sides, numb from lack of movement as he reached them towards his face. The tips of his fingers rubbed against his eyes, slowly regaining his vision as he slowly forced them open.  Blinking them consistently the figures above him grew clearer within his line of sight, finding himself in a moving car. His head twisted to the side to find himself surrounded by two girls who he knew faintly from NYU, sleeping somewhat peacefully. And the familiar guys who had attacked him sat in front, one clutching the steering wheel within his tight grip.

 

“What is going on? Who are you people?” he urged himself to ask, his words shaken as fear ran through his veins. Minho ran a hand through his dishevelled brown locks that fell into his eyes, unconsciously nudging the girl by his side.What exactly had he found himself involved in?

 

“Omo, you’re awake,” Yuri exclaimed from behind. Minho twisted his body 180 degrees, greeted by her warm, welcoming eyes. Awkwardness sat between them at the sight of her. It felt strange for him to see her again after what had happened between them. There was a peculiar feeling within him as she had brushed her hand over his merely days earlier as though there was a special connection between them that he wasn't yet familiar with. It was true that he had found her beautiful that day they met years before but Yuri was an enigmatic person who he didn't completely understand and that had thrown his from his pursuit.

 

“What am I doing here?” the girl by his side asked, eyes wide in curiosity as she turned back and forth. She placed her hand upon the window and watched the passing scenery in fascination, engrossed by the trees and greenery that was difficult to find in New York. 

 

“Ah! I’ve been kidnapped!” the other screamed.