Escape

Killer Soul-mates

 

"So... how did you become one of them?" Minho asked curiously with a hint of hesitation in his tone as he casually glanced at her. Idly standing by and setting up a resting place for herself, she dropped her head as she continued with what she was doing. Not once before had she ever discussed the details of her changing and she was in no position to tell. Not once had anyone ever really asked. Hoping he wouldn't ask again, she lay down and squeezed her eyes shut, picturing them in her mind. Their screams. Crying. Tears. It was all too much to hear. She could faintly hear their voices in her mind, crying out to her. Please don’t do this. Save us dear! Don’t let them hurt us like this.
 
 
“Yuri, are you okay? I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you in any way,” He quickly apologised as he watched the tears stream down her face. In an attempt of brushing the tear away, he leaned over to her side, reaching out his hand as his palm brushed against her pale cheek. Yuri stared back with a look of anger and frustration as she grabbed his wrist. She wasn’t a child. His sympathy was of no use to her.
 
 
Her grip loosened around his arm as his eyes widened in fear. He’d never seen her so angry before. It was evident that she was in no position to discuss anything of it with him. But he couldn’t understand how it could have made her so upset and angry. Taecyeon informed him that he became a vampire when he’d almost died on the battlefield. Yes, he’d lost his human life that day but he was grateful that he was still living. Minho pondered over the idea that her experience was much, much worse. 
 
 
“I didn’t mean to do that. I get kind of worked up when I think about it. For years I’ve tried to leave the past behind me, but it always just hits back at the worst of times,” she said as she twiddled with her thumbs, resting her head back into her pillow.
 
 
“No, it was my fault. I shouldn’t have asked,” he rebutted her response. 
 
 
“I’ve never told anyone. Not even Woo or Taec,” she broke the awkward silence. She snuck a glance of him from the corner of her eye as he sat himself down next to her figure. “I was different. That’s what uncle said. He said I was special. I believed him.”
 
 
The memory was fresh in her mind, like it had only occurred a short period before. But it wasn’t. Over one hundred years had passed in which she’d become one of them. She would do anything. Anything to have her old life back. Something that would have saved them. But she’d been stupid and selfish, unknowing of the consequences of her actions.  
 
 
“I was 20 years old, due to be wed in the fall of that year two months away. My suitor, my future spouse was anonymous and I was enraged by the fact that my father had arranged for me to marry. It was tradition that a girl in our village marries early but I was one of those more modern. I wanted to live my life freely with nothing to hold me back, travelling the world in search of my true calling. That was something that would shame my family,” she paused, the tears building at the rims of her eyes, threatening to spill onto her ashen pale cheeks. 
 
 
“So what happened?” Minho asked curiously, sitting his hand on the curve of her shoulder, encouraging her to reveal more.
 
 
“I was out at the lake, on the outskirts of our village and the neighbouring forest. It was a calm, peaceful place where the cherry blossoms were in full bloom and the lukewarm water washed gently onto the banks and over my exposed toes as I inhaled the fresh scent of the summer air. I was deep in thought, scheming to find a loophole out of this marriage, when I was approached by them, the new arrivals of the village, whose names were already inked of the board of our church, those who we should not associate ourselves with. They questioned why I was upset and told me they could help me out in my situation. I trusted their word. But I c-” she was cut off by the whispering of someone in close proximity to them. Twisting her head back and forth, she searched to ensure no one else was eavesdropping before continuing.
 
 
“Now what I tell you next, you can’t breathe a word to anyone else or judge me. As I said earlier, I was stupid, get it?” Minho nodded his head diligently in response. 
 
 
“They said I was just like them, that they had seen me previously and thought I resembled them and their actions completely. I believed each and every word as though they truly meant what they said. That night, I planned to meet them again in the forest, waiting patiently in the pitch black darkness for their arrival. I listened carefully to the gentle hooting of the owls deep within the forest - till I felt a sharp pain in my neck, small tufts of hair visible from the corner of my eye. It was then that their true identities surfaced, they were demons, vampires. Creatures that only existed in books and myths, not possibly real. But they were. And they wanted me to be one of them.”
 
 
Minho inched forward in curiosity as each word escaped from her passionate lips, drawing him in as she built to the of her tale. Witnessing her actions, it was evident that she was brought to utter grief, that each memory stabbed her in the heart. Too painful. Too heartbreaking. And for once it felt like her beautiful, exterior image was lifted. No longer a killer, a vulnerable little girl in desperate need for comfort.
 
 
“During the aftermath of my changing, I had a strong thirst, an urge to feed, as though I’d been without water or food for days. A miniscule part of me resisted, knowing that my ulterior motives were forbidden and wrong, that I shouldn’t give in and follow them. What would my family have thought if they knew? How would the village react? The vampires told me I needed to escape and leave the life I built behind but before I could, I had to complete one last mission. I had…I had to kill my family. They forced me to set my home ablaze, my family trapped inside with no means of escape. All I could do was watch as they burned to death, screaming and crying out my name as my home collapsed upon them, because they witnessed the changing. I’ll never be able to forge…” tears coursed down her face, forbidding her from continuing as she buried her face in Minho’s shoulder. He gently slid one hand up her spine, cradling her in his arms as she stained his shirt with warm liquid. 
 
 
*****
 
 
Nichkhun found himself restless, tossing and turning aimlessly in his king-size bed. He was overwhelmed by his thoughts, anxiety and fear for those he’d come to know. Had Wooyoung and the others managed to escape to safety? Or had his uncle’s followers found them before they were under the rebel’s refuge? They’d made too big of a risk to return and there was no way to escape to the human world. Stranded as death for them neared as Lee Minho would give no thought to sparing their lives. 
 
 
And then there was Victoria. Her destination was unknown and only fate would reveal its plans for her in the future. If only he could go back in time and refrain her from ever travelling with him, from ever meeting him, or even knowing the existence of vampires in the first place. She was gorgeous, a goddess in his eyes, intelligent and passionate. Her future would have been bright and she could live a long, prosperous life happily. If only she could escape. 
 
 
He shot up from his bed, his lips curling into a smile as he slowly lifted the covers and climbed out of his bed. In his uncle’s eyes he would be a traitor, killed for the charges as the whole kingdom witnessed. But these thoughts didn’t enter his mind; he’d do all he could to save her, and all the others Minho had plans to kill for betraying his orders. He would join the rebels in their fight for freedom and nothing would stop him.
 
 
Nichkhun reached for his shirt, hurriedly buttoning it up as he dressed, his eyes scanning his surroundings in search of his most needed belongings and items which would aid him in his escape. The clock on the wall solemnly announced the time of three am, each tick droning on as the only thing audible in the room. Quickly adjusting the ruffled strands of his hair, he leaned his ear against the door, patiently listening for anyone who may be occupying the hallways of the mansion. No one was to know he escaped. No one was to know that he betrayed their trust. But love conquered all and he felt that way towards Victoria. Love.
 
 
The door creaked as he pulled it open, slowly pacing himself forward into the eerie isolated hallway, decorated with the portraits of important members of the Lee family including Minho and his aunt Hyori, who he hadn’t seen much of since his return. She had cared for him restlessly upon his first arrival to their world, loving and adoring him as though he was her own child. She would never be able to have a child of her own, doting on those who entered the mansion grounds, yearning to hold in her arms, calling her ‘Mother’. She was the mother he had never had and he loved her like family, curious at to why she hadn’t greeted him in the lounge earlier. 
 
 
*****
 
 
“Tiffany? Tiffany, are you awake?” Yoona asked curiously as she drowsily blinked her eyes open, unable to sleep in fear of her life, unable to see due to the lack of light. The figure beside her shot up from its position, lifting its arm and brushing strands out of her eyes in an attempt to adjust the tousled strands of hair.
 
 
“I’m awake. I can’t sleep. It’s too scary down here. I feel like someone will kill me in my sleep,” Tiffany heaved a sigh as she flicked the switch of her flashlight. She was greeted by the shining, bright beam of light, raising her eyebrow at the sight of the surrounding room. They were alone, completely alone. Somehow Tiffany had hoped that someone would have offered to keep watch as they slept - Wooyoung, Taecyeon or anybody. But they hadn’t. 
 
 
“We’ve had a long day and I’m exhausted but I still can’t force myself to sleep. And I think it’s like 4 in the morning,” Yoona said as an artic cold breeze washed over them, sending a shiver up her spine as she snuggled into her blanket, inhaling the icy freshness that lingered in the air. I have to do it now, Tiffany thought.
 
 
Tiffany hesitated to breathe the words frozen between her lips. How she’d be able to apologise without sounding insincere was a challenge, but it was important that she conquered her fear and say to Yoona what she’d been meaning to say for years. Nothing would make up for the harsh words Tiffany had said to Yoona or the way she had treated her over the last few years. During the period of the past few days when they’d been together, they’d hardly spoken and Tiffany knew the thoughts which Yoona had pondered over.
 
 
“Yoona, are you still there?” she murmured, her voice barely a whisper as she gently lifted herself into a sitting position, cradling her knees with her arms as all sound was lost from the room.
 
 
“I’m still here,” Yoona answered, raising an eyebrow curiously at the sound of Tiffany’s words. 
 
 
“I want… I-I w-want to say I’m sorry. Sorry for the way I acted towards you for the last few years. Sorry for abandoning and ostracising you in university. Sorry for being a bad friend so I could become popular. Sorry for every way I have wronged you in the past,” it was as though the ice cold façade was forgotten with these words. One drop of warm liquid streamed down her pale ashen cheeks as it became clearly evident the extent of which she’d hurt Yoona. Something she’d never be able to forgive herself for.
 
 
“You don’t need to say sorry. I was perfectly fine without you. One part of me always thought that you’d come back and say that you wanted to be my best friend again and everything would go back to normal. But it didn’t and I was completely stupid for thinking that way,” her harsh words stabbed Tiffany’s heart, bringing her to a state of deep pain and hurt. 
 
 
“I’m such a bad friend. I knew it would hurt you and I still went along with it as if you were going to be okay. Well of course it wouldn’t have been okay - You were my best friend since I was 11, the only person I’ve ever trusted with my deepest secrets and I let you go for a life of being popular. Of course you would never forgive me,” Tiffany burst into a fit of tears, burying her head in Yoona’s shoulder as Yoona wrapped her arms around Tiffany’s frail body, gently patting her back as a form of comfort. 
 
 
“I guess I would say that it did hurt for a while but there was nothing I could do about it. Friend break up all the time and even though I’m doing well, there’s still a part of me that misses you, like the way you eat ice-cream or how you always used to tell the funniest jokes that made us giggle like crazy in class. I miss those times we had together.”
 
 
“I miss you too!” Tiffany exclaimed. A ghost of a smile played at Yoona’ lips, somehow knowing that her best friend had returned.
 
 
*****
 
 
Victoria shifted from her position on the bed, distracted by a sudden thought entering her mind, hushed voices audible in close proximity to herself. She twisted her head to the side, Jessica’s silhouette barely visible in the pitch blackness of the room as she urged to attempt to escape. Hesitating, she knew that death would only come closer if she did such a thing, barely able to remember the briefings given to her if she was ever caught when she was just a trainee, absorbed in her thoughts and paying a meek amount of attention to the hunters in charge.
 
Her first hunting session occurred at the age of 14, hardly mature enough to handle the situation but completely willing. She stammered aimlessly as she convinced them to take her along, whining and pestering them that she was old enough, that she had enough training to attack their target. It was a female, a newborn, with auburn hair cascading down her back, blood-red orbs staring into Victoria‘s, her thirst uncontrollable. had watered at the lingering smell of Victoria’s fresh blood in the air, her fangs visible in Victoria’s line of sight as she pounced, aiming for the isolated little girl before her. With no thought or hesitation, Victoria drew out her stake and ran towards her, plunging it into her heart as she grew unaware of the situation. The vampire’s limp body dropped lifelessly to the ground, her face pale, eye’s bloodshot as death faced her. That day Victoria proved she was worthy of the hunter’s tasks, gaining her reputation as ‘The Magnet’, drawing her victim in, deceasing them as they launched forward in seek of her. And Victoria was proud.
 
 
She clenched her eyelids closed as she attempted to fall into deep slumber. A sudden image of him flashed into her thoughts as her eyes shut, Nichkhun smiling as he leaned in close to kiss her. Her stomach churned as she reminisced of his lips brushing over hers, somewhat guilty that he still had such an effect on her after turning her in. She would be lying if she said she’d never had feelings for him, these feeling not so clear but still there. Deep within her heart. Ready to bloom at the slightest chance.
 
 
An arctic breeze entered as the door creaked open, allowing them access out of the room. Victoria shot up at the opportunity, gently descending as she realised the vast amount of men guarding the mansion at all times. And if she had managed to escape, she was unaware of their world, unsure where to run, where to hide from them as they followed. She had to face her punishment whilst wishing that she’d never come to know about these vampires who roam the streets as day transcended into darkness. Part of her wondered if there were other supernatural creatures that roamed the earth, unexpected and unwelcome.
 
 
Once again, her eyelids blinded her vision, the room peaceful and serene, as the moon bestowed dim light through the uncovered windows into the chamber, the sky studded with pulsing diamonds. Just fall asleep. You don’t know what they’ll do to you tomorrow, she thought, frightened for her future as it laid in Lee Minho’s hands, a man she hated with all her might, without knowing her parents murderer or avenging their death. She imagined the faint footsteps across the floor, hushed sounds in her mind, as though they were real and someone was coming towards her. 
 
 
“Victoria. Victoria, get up,” the deep, baritone voice of a man whispered as they rested their hands on her shoulders and gently shook her awake. His face hovered above hers as his hand reached forward, lukewarm fingertips brushing over her frozen cheek. Their dark orbs met and the churning, heart fluttering sensation returned as time froze for her, for him, for them. Blinking her eyes repeatedly, she couldn’t believe he was standing before her. He who had sacrificed her to regain his reputation had returned by her side unbelievably, a hopeful glint sparkling in his eyes as she watched him in shock.
 
 
The words froze in her breath, unspeakable as she hesitated to say any words, attempting to not wake the others. Why had he returned? Had Minho chose an appropriate punishment already? His presence was both unwanted and calming, the contrasting emotions of her heart as his hand waved over her face, ensuring she was still awake, alive and safe for the time being.
 
 
“Why are you here?” she spat distastefully, venom seeping from her eyes as she roughly shoved him away. He knocked his head off the banister of another girl’s bed, dazed and shocked as he winced in pain, rubbing his hand soothingly over the affected area. 
 
 
“I came to rescue you. We both need to leave now. Bad things, no, awful things are happening here and we need to escape before it gets any worse,” he replied softly, trying to not infuriate her any more than she already was. It was reassuring to see her again though they’d barely been apart for duration of 10 hours. Nothing had changed, no bruises or marks on her face or arms. He was relieved that they hadn’t dare hurt her as he watched her expression become blank, unsure how to reply to him. 
 
 
“I thought you wanted them to kill me. Or is this escape just a plan to hurt me yourself?” she asked in a monotonous tone, escaping from his grip as she climbed off the bed, creating a larger gap between them. 
 
 
“I would never hurt you. I could never hurt my own soul-mate,” she lifted her head at the sudden softness to his voice, his eyes trusting and understanding. 
 
 
It was peculiar for her to see him that way, as though she could see the true him through his eyes. Underneath the vampire exterior was a real man, capable of feeling sadness and love, drawing her in as if she wanted t know more about the real him. And she could finally see that he was being true in not wanting to hurt her, his ulterior motives to save her from death.
 
 
She slowly paced herself towards him, her movements drowsy from lack of sleep, falling forward as she tripped over a miniature object sitting upon the cold, concrete floor. Nichkhun rushed forward catching her in his arms, holding her close towards him as she inhaled his fresh scent, somewhat glad to see him once again. Her breaths became heavy as she glancing upwards, their eyes meeting as both unconsciously leaned their faces close together, urging to kiss as they’d done in Italy.
 
 
“We need to go before anyone realises I’m gone,” his breath was cold on her cheeks, his fingers brushing through the strands of her chocolate brown locks. Linking their hands together, he led her towards the door.
 
 
“We can’t just leave all these girls behind. What’s going to happen to them?” she said urgently as she turned away from him, facing them as they lay in their beds, unaware of what was going on. Victoria didn’t know what Minho’s motives were with them but she couldn’t Jessica behind even though they barely knew each other
 
 
Nichkhun didn’t know how to answer her question without making it sound far too gruesome. One by one they’d be killed for their blood, never be to seen again as Minho’s followers disposed of them thoroughly, leaving no trace of their existence behind as more arrived, only for the same situation to occur. He could understand that Victoria wanted to save them for they did not deserve to die in the way that they would. But they would never be able to escape with so many people at once.
 
 
“I know you want to but we can’t. Now let’s go!” he announced with some authority as he dragged her away from the servants chamber. 
 
 
“Please, just one then,” she pleaded, tears threatening to spill from her eyes. He nodded in defeat, knowing they would never leave if he didn’t agree with her conditions.
 
 
******
 
 
It was eerily silent as Nichkhun twisted his head from side to side in search of anyone in patrol of the mansion. They were close to freedom, the gates close by. But the followers patrolled them, pacing themselves back and forth on watch for any escapees, or intruders willing to kill Minho. With the news of the rebels planning an attack and the prophecy of being overthrown growing true, the number of guards increased drastically, fully armed and prepared for attack. 
 
 
Nichkhun leaned forward, his hand tightly gripping the rough, jagged wall, twisting his head from side to side in search of anyone in their path. His large stature concealed Victoria and Jessica’s petite forms within his silhouette, unseen in the eyes of those surrounding them. A flash of lightning appeared across the night sky, a rising growl in the distance that came down like violence upon their souls as they awaited the storm’s onslaught. His feet crunched over the gravel beneath them as he shifted his weight forward, hesitating to move in fear of their lives.
 
 
“I don’t know where Nichkhun is sir,” a voice become audible over the thundering growls of the sky. 
 
 
“I don’t care. Just find him before Minho finds out!” Nichkhun recognised the voice of Soohyun as he shouted orders at their followers, infuriated with the disappearance of Nichkhun, who was closer than he initially thought. The girls’ breaths hushed in fear of being caught, inevitably far from escape. We need a decoy, Nichkhun thought, knowing that they would never escape without one.
 
 
“We’ll never escape with all of these followers surrounding the gate. I’m going to form some kind of decoy and the two of you have to escape the mansion grounds and run as far as you can when the followers leave. I’ll follow right behind you,” Nichkhun murmured, his voice soundless but understandable. He gently pat Victoria’s shoulder as he turned away from them, walking towards the back of the mansion, thinking over the plan in his mind once again. 
 
 
“You can’t go. What if you get hurt?” Nichkhun froze in his steps, retreating as he revolved to face her. 
 
 
“Don’t worry about me and just go. I’ll be fine,” he brushed his lips across her cheek, heaving a sigh as he strode away from them. An adrenaline rush ran through his veins, pushing him to his limits as a form of excitement to him. He would never be forgiven for his next actions, revenge for the way they had treated him in the past, when he had first arrived to their world. Treating him as if he was inferior, a child and also for the killing of innocent humans who didn’t deserve what fate had planned. 
 
 
Victoria faced Jessica, her eyes reading worry and fear as they waited patiently for Nichkhun to put the plan of his in place. Both hid deep within the dark shadows of the mansion in fear of being caught as the followers walked back and forth, surrounding the perimeter of the castle as Victoria liked to think of it. She crouched down to the ground, her hands reaching for her boots as fiddled with the fabric of her boots, tearing the lining and leather apart.
 
 
“What are you doing? You just ruined a perfectly nice pair of boots,” Jessica asked in shock as Victoria directed her glance upwards. Reaching her slender fingers inside, she gradually slid out the hidden stake, her lips curling into a smile as she her weaponry.
 
 
“Are you being serious? How did you hide that?” she questioned once again due to her previous question being unanswered.
 
 
“I’m a hunter. There are many places we can hide weapons. If Nichkhun is unsuccessful we’re still prote-” her reply was cut off by the sudden shouts and screams of the vampires surrounding them, her nose filled with the rancid stench of smoke lingering in the air.
 
 
“FIRE! THE MANSION IS ON FIRE!” The words became clear and understandable as the many men ran away from the gate and towards the mansion, leaving it unguarded and escapable. Victoria raised her eyebrow curiously at the extent of Nichkhun’s plan, exchanging looks with Jessica. With no hesitation, they sprinted towards the gate, the wind rushing through their tousled hair in their escape, as they left for the forest. None of the vampires would have seen it coming. 
 
 
*****
 
 
They were concealed between the vast trees of the forest, unable to find a route out. Jessica clung to Victoria’s arm, somewhat relieved that they had managed to escape safely, but Nichkhun was nowhere to be seen. A chill ran up the length of Victoria’s spine as the breeze of the wind brushed over them, rustling the leaves of the trees. The owls hooted in the backdrop, a soundtrack to forest scenery.
 
 
“They brought me through here when they kidnapped all of those years ago. It might sound weird but I spotted a pair of mysteriously beautiful, golden eyes watching me as their owner hid themselves behind the sharp, thorny bushes. I’ve always wished to see them again and meet their owner but I’ve never had the chance. Maybe I was just imagining them,” Jessica explained as she slowly sat herself down on the fallen tree trunk nearby. 
 
 
Victoria’s feet crunched on the fallen leaves and branches as she followed, scanning the forest curiously in order to see any golden eyes just like Jessica had said. She was lost deep within her thoughts of her parents and the hunters who she’d last seen barely days before who watched as she was dragged off with the dangerous vampire who was infamously known for being deadly, her soul-mate. He was deadly, he’d killed many, his hands inked with their blood and she was in love with him. This thought left her somewhat uncomfortable. She loved a murderer. 
 
 

Hello everyone. Sorry it took so long to write this but I've been busy and I have been writing this for the past week so it took time. However it is up now and there are Minyul and Khuntoria moments for you guys and I will have more Woofany, Sookey and Taecyoon moments next chapter. 

Thanks for reading and take care because I care,

love from coolgirlaamy xxx