Portal to a New World

Killer Soul-mates

 

2. December 2011 

The scenery was beautiful. A warm sun blazed across the clear blue sky as a cool, refreshing breeze washed over them in the fervent heat of the moment. There was a peaceful atmosphere about the place, a calmness that couldn't be found within the business of the city. It was a perfect location to be in and they were sure that they would spend the rest of their days there if they didn't have to travel to the dark world of the vampires who lived in secrecy. 

 

Yuri thought so too as she rummaged through her bag in search of her camera, pulling it out from the layers of fabric. She began to snap pictures of the beautiful Italian scenery, feeling at ease in light of the moment. Her troubles had drifted away with the wind as did her long brown waves as they swept behind her back. I would stay here for the rest of my life if I had the chance, she thought as she strolled by the shore close to the cafe the others had resided to. 

 

Their mood wasn’t as jovial as hers. They each made their own complaints about something; their drink was too warm or cold; the sun was too bright; they had a cramp; not attempting to join in with any of the fun. Wooyoung and Taecyeon had hidden inside, unable to withstand the bright rays of sun that shone upon them and weren't sure how Yuri could have done so. Despite their location, sunglasses sat upon their noses, tightly concealing their eyes from the sun as they hid their skin beneath layers of thick clothing, not willing to let anything bad happen to them.

 

“What are you doing? Can’t you just keep still until Khun shows up?” Wooyoung asked as he leapt out from his seat. He strode towards her, wrapping his fingers around her wrist as he pulled her away from the fervent heat and into the shade. Out of them all, she appeared to be having the best time, trying to enjoy what freedom she had left before the darkness of their world.

 

“Well I want to blend in with other ‘tourists’. You guys are making us look like we’re in the Mafia or something,” a giggle escaped from her lips as she pointed her finger towards them. They all looked stern, clad in clothes of black, faces covered in the oversized sunglasses. They resembled a group of spies from an international organisation or something on those lines.

 

“Just sit down,” Taecyeon interrupted immediately as ran away from their grasp to get some ice cream, “Aish, that girl. She always acts like such a child.”

 

“You guys are quite protective of her, aren’t you?” Yoona asked, the words that had been frozen escaping from her lips as she watched the group bicker.

 

Yoona had remained on speaking terms with them in realisation that the path Minho and Tiffany had chosen wasn’t right. Yes, they were vampires. Yes they killed people and animals. But they were scared of telling the truth. They didn’t want to be discovered if the truth had come out. It would bring them a lifetime of unhappiness. They would be scared to set a foot outside. Information on those lines would cause media uproar if it were to be brought to public eyes and the rest of them could have been exposed also. Yoona didn't want to see that happen though she didn't know the full truth behind their characters.

 

 “We don’t like seeing her get hurt. It’s happened before and it’s a possibility that it can happen again. People getting her to trust them and she falls in their trap. She could die,” Taecyeon explained, putting emphasis on his last words. Yoona suddenly felt a sense of admiration towards his character though she was already attracted to him. The longer they spent time together, the more she realised that he wasn’t a player but a caring person who had been misunderstood because of his appearance. And the prospect of being soul-mates wasn't exactly impossible for her either.

 

“Idiot," Wooyoung whipped his hand across the back of Taecyeon's head. "She can’t die. She would only feel hurt on the inside,” he interrupted. A laugh escaped Yoona's pursed lips. They’re not that bad. Minho and Tiffany should lighten up a bit more, she thought as she glanced at the pair of them from the corner of her eye as they sat with each other in awkwardness. 

 

“Uh, I can’t believe she is still over there. She looks smart but is so stupid. Doesn’t she realise they could kill her. At least we understand,” Tiffany said as she directed her line of sight towards them for the hundredth time that day. She couldn't understand Yoona's fearlessness towards them, able to sit comfortably in their presence without an ounce of fright within her. 

 

Minho rolled his eyes as Tiffany began giving yet another speech about their evil and devious characters. He urged to leave her and join them.“Yeah, sure whatever,” he replied. Minho adjusted his body into a comfortable position and laying his head on the table. The last few days had been hectic and he was in need of some rest, unable to sleep in the car, unable to sleep in the plane, unable to sleep anywhere. And if he was going to go to that vampire world of theirs then he required some well needed sleep which wasn't going to come if Tiffany's incessant complaints didn't stop.

 

“I bet she’s trying to grab their attention because of how hot they are. That little ! For her information, one of them is supposed to be my soul-mate. She better keep her filthy hands off of him,” Tiffany slammed her hands down on the table, feeling a state of envy come over her. She would do anything to avert them from thinking she was jealous but it was the truth. No matter how many insults she threw towards them, she couldn't avoid herself from thinking that they were gorgeous creatures, that, if they were human, she would be utterly attracted to.

 

I’ve had enough of this girl, Minho groaned in annoyance before lifting himself from his seat. He twisted his body away from Tiffany and strode over to them, settling into the free chair as the vampires watched him in curiosity. The sweet aroma of dessert wafted through his nostrils, his mouth watering as his eyes rested on the untouched desserts sitting in his line of sight. They looked so delicious. So tempting. They could send him to heaven with just one mouthful. I should have left Tiffany ages ago, he thought as he pulled the chocolate cake forward, cursing his all protein diet for football.

 

“Tiffany driving you crazy?” Wooyoung asked as he stuffed a large mouthful into his mouth. Minho nodded attentively in response as he devoured the creamy texture of the chocolate cream. 

 

“I suggest you find another soul mate before Horvejkul arrives. Otherwise, you are stuck with Tiffany for as long as you both live,” Taecyeon chuckled. He lifted the silver spoon from the table, digging it into the crumbling sponge of the cake. Minho directed a fiery glare towards him as he lifted the plate from the table and out of Taecyeon's grasp so that it was all for himself.

 

“Hey! I’m not getting married to her. For all I know, we were wrong and there is no such thing as a soul mate,” Wooyoung shouted, throwing his hand forward as though he was going to slap Taecyeon once more.

 

He scanned his eyes over the surrounding area, his mouth and eyes widening at the sight of something in particular. His head slowly lowered, cupping his chin in the palm of his hand, resting his elbow upon the table as he dazed into the space around him. Stuck with the same 3 nagging women for the past few days had drained his energy and it was refreshing to see the many gorgeous foreigners that surrounded him despite being fated to another. For all he knew, Tiffany didn't want to be involved with him any longer and he contemplated to take Taecyeon's advice of choosing another 'soul-mate' that could play the part. Yoona noticed his sudden distance from them, waving her hand over his face as she lightly slapped his arm, questioning his change in behaviour.

 

“I think someone went to Wooyoung world, population 1,” Taecyeon chuckled as he attempted the same technique but to no avail.

 

“Aah! I’m so sorry! Are you okay?” a familiar voice screamed as thud was audible in the distance.

 

Wooyoung was broken from his trance as they turned towards the sound. They could find nothing in their line of sight but a toppled Yuri who had collapsed upon a stranger, her face hidden behind the dishevelled locks of her hair. Wooyoung and Taecyeon leapt from their seats and  rushed towards her, gripping both arms within their tight grips as they pulled her from the man. Yuri winced in pain at contact, a whine escaping her lips as she ran her fingers through the caramel waves, trying to adjust the heap upon her head . They turned to the victim once again, extending their hands towards him as a smile curled at their lips. He looked almost too familiar that it was as though he hadn't changed since they last saw them.

 

“Horvejkul, thanks for joining us. You took your time,” they said as they assisted Nichkhun up. They threw him questioning looks, curious about his delayed appearance before them. Yuri, however, avoided Nichkhun's harsh eyes, striding to Yoona's side as embarrassment came over her face. The last time she had seen him, she had declared her profound love towards him only to be given the devastating response that he had no interest in her. It had been 30 years but Yuri couldn't leave the memory behind her, impossible due to what embarrassment it had caused. an embossment that would exist within her for the rest of her days.

 

“Sorry, I was having some difficult getting here. You know hunters were after me. I was outside Seoul when I called,” Nichkhun lifted himself from the ground, brushing the dust from his clothes in his attempt to apologise.

 

“So what was it that got you so entranced?" Yoona asked Wooyoung curiously as Taecyeon and Nichkhun discussed their next plans in secrecy. 

 

“Oh, just this hot girl I saw. Like really hot. She had an S’line body, luscious hair, beautiful face. She had it all,” Wooyoung replied as drool tricked down from the edge of his mouth. He lifted his hand and brushed it away with the tip of his finger as he came to a sudden realisation of what was happening. Tiffany watched him from the backdrop, overcome with jealousy as she eavesdropped on his words.

 

“Eww Wooyoung. Keep your thoughts to yourself,” Yuri complained, placing her hands over her ears in detest as the pair of them strode forward, urgency evident upon their features. 

 

“Well we better get going. Don’t forget to bring everything you need,” Nichkhun announced, urging them to leave.

 

Nichkhun gave his orders as he shifted his weight towards the car parked by the cafe, 'borrowed' from an old friend.. They all followed his commands as if they knew what the consequences of not doing so would be. Minho and Yoona had been informed to watch out and be careful around him. He kept his attitude pleasant but he was a vicious man on the inside. He killed humans on a regular basis, feeding on their blood as lust came over him. There was no telling if he would kill them too.

 

“What are you doing? PUT ME DOWN!” Tiffany screamed, attracting the attention of those who surrounded her. Wooyoung lifted her from the ground, ignoring the punched that she threw upon his back as he rushed towards the others, ensuring her safety. There was no telling what could happen to her if he had left her in Rome, not knowing if she would be able to return to New York safely. And he wouldn't return to their world without her, no matter what opinions she had of him or the soul-mate concept which joined them together.

 

.....

 

In no time, they had arrived at an isolated cottage at the edge of the city, without knowing if what lay inside was their passage to the world of darkness where the vampires roamed freely. It was surrounded by damp grass at a height of at least 3 feet, beads of freezing liquid sitting at the tips of them - a barricade for those trying to get past. The water fountain was cracked along the side, allowing water to spill upon their path, moistening the gravel as it plummeted to the ground. Tiles - that looked like they were from the roof- lay across the floor. As they moved closer towards the house they realised that it was in even worse than they thought. It was in a dilapidated state, able to enclose them inside as the walls fell forward.

 

“What took you so long? I’ve been waiting here for an hour,” an angry voice greeted them as they stepped out of the car. Victoria strode towards them, hands placed upon hips as Wooyoung’s jaw dropped in shock at the sight of her.  And he couldn't hep but feel envious towards Nichkhun who has some form of association with her, sending a questioning glare upon him.

 

“Well I told you I had to go and get them first. You were the one who insisted waiting here,” a smirk tugged at the corner of his lips. “This is Victoria, my business partner,” he introduced the group to her, clenching her wrist in his fist as he pulled her towards him. She shot a fiery glare into his eyes as she struggled in his grasp, shrugging his hand off. After what had happened earlier she wasn’t in the most pleasant of moods.

 

“I’m not coming with you anymore,” Victoria announced as the car travelled along the road, carrying them towards the location of the portal. She contemplated her sudden decision of route to Rome, questioning whether or not she wanted to complete her quest in their world. Waiting for the right time to mention it, that point seemed like the worst time she could have chosen. And she somewhat regretted her decision.

 

Nichkhun immediately turned to her, “You can’t be serious! You came with me this whole way and now you’re not coming? I thought you said you wanted to find the vampire who killed your parents.” His fiery stares burned holes through her.

 

“Hey, don’t use that against me! Plus, you dragged me out of the building and brought me here with you,” she expressed angrily, throwing her curled fist upon the dashboard. Her eyes widened as she came to a sudden realisation. He was right, speaking the truth. The whole time she had the freedom to get out and run away – he gave her so many opportunities to do so. But she stuck by him the whole time as if she truly wanted to be in his company. It was her fault.

 

“Well if you’re not going to stay I guess I should say my good byes,” he replied, twisting his head towards her until their eyes met. He unconsciously leaned closer towards her, their faces inches apart.  

 

A gasp escaped from just as Nichkhun’s lips landed on hers.

 

He had the intention of only lightly pecking her lips. But his lust, his desire for her had grown stronger and he needed more. The kisses became hungrier as his hand sneaked around her tiny waist, bringing them closer together. Neither of them pulled apart, savouring the taste of each other’s lips, moist and gentle. They worked against each other, following the other's advances in complete synchronisation. He gently bit her bottom lip as his tongue made its way inside . Victoria's fingers ran along the smooth texture of Nichkhun's neck as she drew him towards her, snaking her arms around his neck.

 

 “I’m going to have to leave you here,” Nichkhun said, his breath icy cold upon Victoria's cheek as their lips finally parted. His face  buried into the layers of her soft hair as she lightly the back of his neck, nodding her head in understanding.

 

 

They entered the house, shocking the broken door out of their path. Minho gulped as they walked in, unconsciously clutching Yuri’s hand in fear.On the inside, there was no resemblance to the old, out-dated exterior. For one thing, the interior of the place was stylishly modern. But the most obvious difference - the large whirlpool in the centre of the room, glowing and swirling in a clockwise direction. It was evident that it was their path.

 

“This is it. Either get in or stay here,” Nichkhun and Taecyeon dictated as they paced themselves closer towards it. Their bodies fell back due to  the amount of force and power radiating from it, hesitant to step inside. Tiffany slowly stepped back in the opposite direction, hoping to find some way out of the whole process as Wooyoung threw her over his shoulder and followed Nichkhun's step, urging the others to continue. Her body shook vigorously in fear, the strange scent that lingered in the air wafting through her nose unpleasantly.

 

As they stepped through, everything became a blur. Everything around them was shaking. The floor. The walls. Everything.  But it could have just been their imagination, their brain making them think that way.

 

The portal threw them from side to side until it came to a sudden halt, catching them off guard. Without a choice, they dropped to the ground. Their surroundings were completely different. The atmosphere felt dark and eerie, almost frightening in a sense. A hostile environment to which they had finally arrived. Their thin summer clothes were no match to protect from the bitter cold air of the dark alleyway as Taecyeon’s jacket became draped over Yoona’s shoulders while she shivered due to the extent of the cold. And they awaited for what was to occur next, not to their knowledge.

 

“Welcome to our world.”