Fated - Chapter 1

Killer Soul-mates

29 Nov. 2011

 

“Are you okay?” Leeteuk asked, watching with curious eyes as the girl approached him cautiously.

 

It was bitter cold as snow cascaded from the overcast skies above, the moon bestowing dim light upon the frozen path, sky studded with pulsing diamonds. A shiver ran up the length of her spine as a cold breeze washed over her, her cheeks numbing from the cold. She snuggled within the folds of the back jumpsuit which barely provided warmth, struggling under the weight of the rucksack upon her back as she remained unaware of the evenings duties. The girl was agitated and infuriated by her current situation, the night she assumed was to spent free taken from her hands from the actions of others. Can’t this guy give me a break? I’ve done so many missions lately I can barely keep count, she thought as she halted to a stop mere inches away from him.

 

“I’m not happy Leeteuk. I was meant to have tonight off,” she snarled angrily, venom seeping from her eyes as she met his dark orbs. The act, the mission of clearing the world was difficult and time consuming: that was part of the job specification. Every hunter knew that. Yet she still believed that she required a well-deserved break.

 

“I know but there was no one else available. We have to make sacrifices sometimes, you understand. And you’re the best hunter around,” Leeteuk answered, patting her on the back reassuringly. A ghost of a smile lingered on her face as the compliment escaped his lips, the anger within her commuting. He knew she would never refuse the chance of witnessing a death or finding a culprit. Not after what had happened that fateful day years before which decided her fate.

 

 

15 years ago ….

“Dad, can we please stop? I want ice-cream,” a 9 year old Victoria asked incessantly, staring at her father with leading eyes as his hands rested upon the steering wheel of the car. They were in the midst of returning from a family event, struggling with what energy remained in their veins as the city passed by before their eyes. His eyes switched to the time on the dashboard, reading 8:00 pm, pondering over in his mind whether he would fulfil his daughter's wishes. He glanced occasionally at his wife who remained unaware of the situation, her eyes drowsily blinking open before they squeezed shut.

 

“I’ll go get it,” he spoke in response, halting his car to a stop. A click was audible as his seatbelt was unfastened, a smile curving at his lips as he met his daughters bright, hopeful eyes which rejoiced. The door slammed shut, echoing in the air as her mother raised her eyebrow, turning to Victoria as she shrugged her shoulders at her husbands events. In the midst of the shadows, she could barely spot her father's silhouette as he entered. And if she only knew that it would be the last moment she would ever see him, she would cherish it forever. 

 

The next 30 minutes passed them in a daze. The light was slowly being lost from the night sky, replaced with oncoming darkness. Victoria struggled to see her mother through the shadows, squinting her eyes for closer look as hey both grew worried of the whereaouts of her father. She didn't assume for it to have taken that long. It was only ice-cream.

 

“Honey, stay here. I will go see what is taking your father so long,” her mother spoke in a hushed tone, opening the car door as she stepped outside and left Victoria ostracized in the car.

 

She wrapped her father’s coat around her as a source of comfort. She was at a sensitive age, scared and frightened, unable to understand what was going on beyond the doors of the car. Merely assuming it couldn’t have been something too serious, she attempted to distract herself, a wav of cold air washing over her. She flicked the flashlight of her torch, pulling her book out from her bag and scanned her eyes over the words across the pages. 

 

A sudden scream was audible in the distance, followed by consistent shouting and screaming. Her head lifted automatically, directing her line of vision towards the group of stores in front of her. Victoria eyes widened, body shaking vigorously in fear. That could be mommy, she tucked her up her knees, burying her face in her hands as though she was trying to hide herself from the outside world. A single tear streamed down her face as others built at the rims of her eyes, overwhelmingfear taunting her.

 

“I have to go see what's going on,” she mumbled, builfing up the courage within her to investigate the situation before. 

 

Her slender fingers wrapped around the door handle, pushing it forward as she slowly escaped the safety of the car. She crawled over, watching her movements carefully to avoid being seen by anyone. Victoria froze in position, crouching down in front of the shop, peering into the window. Her jaw dropped in shock. She couldn’t believe her eyes, rubbing them to ensure she wasn’t dreaming. It was still the same sight before her. And it was no dream. It was a nightmare.

 

Blood was splattered everywhere, dripping from a table top until it pooled on the floor surrounding the cadavers. The bodies of her parents sprawled across the ground like inanimate objects. Two men stood by their side, crouching down as their face inched towards their neck, piecing their jagged teeth inside. They out what was left of them in a frenzied haze, unable to control their consistent hunger. It was nothing she had ever experienced before. It was horror movie come to reality. Those men weren’t human. They were immortal. They were Vampires. The creatures only heard in books. And they had killed her parents.

 

Rain droplets fell from the stormy clouds above, trickling down the side of the shop windows. A spark of lightning flickered in her eyes, awaiting the crack of thunder as her body soaked in the downporuing rain. The scene was like a movie at its , tears unable to become distinct as liquid streamed down her ashen pale cheeks. She was unable to control her feelings of anger and sadness. She had just become orphaned. The most important people in her life were dead in front of her eyes. And she could do nothing but watch.

 

One of the men lifted their heads, scanning their eyes over the dismal surroundings outside until they met her eyes. A lump sat in as she glared at him nervously, muslces frozen in her attempt to move. He leapt up from his position, slowly sauntering towards her as hunger ran through his veins. His features were so distinct: the bright hair, those golden eyes: there was no chance she would ever forget that face.

 

You have to go now. Don’t let him get to you too, she cried in her head. She jumped up and ran for her life, not daring to turn back.  I’ll avenge your death mommy and daddy if that means killing every vampire in that path until I reach the one that had killed you.

 

That night had scarred her for life and she could only wish that she could have stopped herself from asking her father to do what he did in the first place. From home to home she was sent across the country, placing her in the care of many people; relatives who were too ill or old; couples that couldn't have a child of their own. It wasn't until the age of 13 that she had found sanctuary, the hunters - the one group who could help her fulfil her promise. The ones who could help her find her parents’ murderer.

 

“What is it today?” she asked Leeteuk through chattering teeth curiously as he fiddled with his phone. This better not be a waste of my time, she thought as her hair cushioned the fall of snowflakes from the clouds.

 

“You are on look out tonight. We have some new recruits - Eunhyuk, Hyoyeon and Hara - who you will be joining. Be nice,” he said as the distant sound of feet crunching upon the snow grew louder. Three people turned the corner, striding towards the pair of them, their faces unfamiliar and strange as Victoria questioned why Leeteuk had suddenly asked her to join them. They froze in front of her as an awkward, uncomfortable aura sat between them. She heaved a sigh, her breaths coming out of in a cloud of pure white.

 

“This is Victoria who is joining you on your mission. I heard there is a meeting with some of the biggest vampires in Seoul so if you catch any of them, make sure they’re dead. And before I forget Hara is in charge since I know she does well in charge of her own group,” Leeteuk explained, introducing the group to her as a scowl lingered on her face, wondering why she hadn't been chosen as leader. He turned away from them and paced himself in the opposite direction, leaving her behind in their company.

 

“Well Victoria, you will be with Hyoyeon and I will be working with Eunhyuk,” Hara dictated in a supercilious manner. Victoria glanced at the other girl from the corner of her eye. Her face was hidden behind the blonde locks that flowed over her face, a single drop of giref flowing from her deep brown eyes. Victoria raised her eyebrow curiously, her pursed lips slowly opening as the words remained frozen in her breth, frightened of sondin insincere.

 

“Her sister was killed by a vampire last month,” Eunhyuk explained as he noticed the curiosity in Victoria’s face. She nodded her head in understanding as Hyoyeon glanced up at her before dropping her head in sorrow once more. It's going to be one long night.

 

*****

 

An hour had passed and they had found themselves in the exact same look-out positions as before. Nothing had been found, no voices heard, no vampires seen through the shadows of the night. Victoria's head tilted to the side, her eyes squeezed shut, lips pursed as she cradled her bag in her arms. Hara glanced at her in annoyance, questioning her range of expertise and the extent of her will to be there as she tried to hold an expression of tolerance upon her charming face.

 

“I can’t believe Leeteuk put that girl in our group. She probably at this,” the words escaped her lips in a hushed whisper as she spoke to Eunhyuk who sat in the same condition of boredom and unrest. 

 

“Have you ever heard of the 'Magnet'?” Victoria asked, placing both hands at her sides to support her as she pulled herself up. She directed her line of sight towards her, a smug grin curling at her lips as she watched the embarassment wash over a confused Hara. Hara's cheeks flushed to a bright red as she turned her face away from Victoria's sight. I thought she was sleeping.

 

“Yes. The Magnet is one of the best hunters out there. Every hunter and vampire knows. The Magnet scares everyone in the vampire world,” Hara answered, continuing to avoid Victoria’s gaze. Eunhyuk leapt from his position and wandered off into the deserted building across from them, thinking he hear the hushed voice of another. He needed something to do. They would never catch any vampires if they continued in the same way.

 

“Do you know who it is?” Victoria asked. Of course no one knows who it is. They would get caught if someone knew, Hara pondered over the question in her mind, raising her brow as she watched Victoria through her glistening eyes. Her eyes widened as she came to a sudden realisation, hand clasped over in shock.

 

“You have to be kidding me!"

 

"Oh but it's true," Victoria replied, sraightening out her legs as the pain within them became overwhelming. She scanned her eyes over the surrounding buildings, questioning the location that Leeteuk had directed them to and wondered that perhaps his sources had been wrong.

 

"It...It's you," Hara finished, turning her head 65 degrees as Eunhyuk returned before them, drowsily walking forward. His legs were no longer able to support his weight, slowly sinking to the ground by Hyoyeon's side. The three girls encircled him within the group, watching him with curiosity in their eyes. A strange stench lingered on his clothes, somewhat sweet and sickly, a combination of cologne and alcohol.

 

“I’ve...I've caught...one. I knocked...it unconcious," the sounds entered their ears in the midst of his chocked breaths and pants. Hara and Hyoyeon supported him on both sides as Victoria stood awkwardly by their side. Hara's face went blank as thoughts and instructions ran through her mind. She didn't know what to do next, cursing Leeteuk's trust in her for she was barely capable of completing the job successfully. Victoria would have been a much better option.

 

“Hyoyeon, Eunhyuk and I will go get the stakes and other weapons. Victoria go and watch it!” Hara shouted. There was a hint of uncertainty in her tone, her choice of plan strange and unsuitable for their situation. Does she need to be so loud? Victoria placed her hands over her ears to block the deafening sound of Hara's voice. And that is such a stupid idea. Just kill it. It doesn’t need to be tortured.

 

Her hands wrapped over the handle of her bag as she lifted the bag into her firm grip. She followed the instructions without any choice, her bag unusually light as she ran to the building, her feet gliding over the frozen snow. The door creaked as she shoved it open, scanning her eyes around the place nervously. She hoped the vampire hadn’t regained consciousness yet, the situation not yet sinking into her. Her hands reached upwards, pulling the ski mask over her face to avoid being recognised or caught. The warmth was overwheming as the wool of her scarf wrapped around her neck.

 

A figure sprawled across the ground as she turned the corner, surrounded by jagged shards of glass. The exact stench that hung on Eunhyuk lingered in the air, growing stronger as she paused in front of him. No blood was visible around him, coming to a realisation that it was the exact parasite that Eunhyuk had mentioned. The one sentenced to death. A male. I guess this is my lucky day, her eyes scanned briefly over his unusually large body, strands of hair flopped into his eyes.

 

She fumbled through the fabric of her pockets in search of a particular item, sliding the wooden handcuffs out from her back pocket. His arms were encased within them as she avoided the glass, his skin shockingly cool as her hand brushed over his. “I can’t believe they won’t just kill you. You’re not worth the time of torturing,” Victoria spoke, “I guess if they won’t, I should.”

 

She cast her eyes briefly upon him as she returned to the bag she had left sprawled in the corner of the room. Her hand brushed off the dst which had gathered upon it, rummaging through her backpack in search of a weapon. They were no longer there, disappeared, missing. She furrowed her eyebrows angrily as the sight of Hara taking her things flashed into her mind. She sighed in disgust as a glimmering object sparkled at the bottom of her bag. A dagger? I guess this must do.

 

Victoria ran her fingers along the cool metal, tightly grasping it in her hand. She approached the vampire slowly until they were mere inches apart. She crouched down by his side, hovering the dagger above his body as her hands shook vigorously in fear. Normally it would have been over and done with in seconds, but something inside was causing her to feel hesitant, as if something held her back from comitting murder. The tip of the dagger slowly pierced into his chest but went no further, beads of sweat hanging on her temples, concealed under her mask.

 

“I can't do this,” she whispered, throwing the dagger against the ground in frustration as she pulled it away from him. She turned to the door swiftly thinking she heard the rest of the group. What has gotten into me? Why can't I just kill it already?

 

“Just do it."