Change Of Plans

The Reincarnation of Lee Donghae

 

(Listen to 직감 (Intuition) by CN BLUE : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_500iqJggs0)

The shooting had begun and Aiden had assigned a special crew of photographers, releasing teaser images of the production through his website every now and then. Along with the excitement among the fans, there was speculation about his relationship with the leading lady.

“Aiden?” Krystal laughed heartily. “We’re just good friends.”

And so they all moved on. Top on the other hand seemed interested in something beyond friendship. Every time Aiden called out Krystal’s name, he would find her leaving the old man’s side.

“What’s going on?” he once asked the young girl. “Too old, don’t you think?”

Ignorant as always, the actress shrugged. “He just wants to look over me.”

Hyuk Jae, who was passing by, nodded at her deep v-neck shirt. “Sure he does.”

But it was this very weakness of Top’s that was used as bait against him. One afternoon, during a sluggish schedule, Aiden sat with Krystal discussing his lines with her.

“I need lime soda,” she complained and sprinted towards the canteen. Discreetly, Aiden fiddled with her phone and waited for the purported result. A few seconds later, he saw Top smirking at his Android and leaving the studio instantly.

“Eun Ah?” Aiden whispered, slowly trailing behind the desperate man. “He’s left the place. Ready?”

On the other line, Eun Ah’s voice trembled. “I don’t know Aiden,” she murmured. “It’s the first time I’ll be seeing him face-to-face. I hope everything goes according to plan.”

“It will,” he reassured her. “Just follow what you rehearsed. And I’ll be there, so don’t worry, okay?”

Top rubbed his hands together. Too fast, too easy. “Age no bar, Toppie,” he muttered to himself and snorted. Away from the main set, he ran out towards the building which housed the dressing room. Glancing at the message again – ‘Meet me in the dressing room of the old warehouse ;)’ – Top skidded across the hallway and walked at a leisurely pace towards the wooden door.

“Krystal?” Slowly, the door creaked open and he tried maintaining his composure as he saw a seated figure brushing her long hair.

“Hey, why are you hiding your face?” he smiled and slowly walked towards the girl. “Come on, don’t tease me now…”

Suddenly the figure spun around and Top was thrown out of the room as he recognized Yoona’s face. Staring at him from behind the long hair, wearing the same gown that she wore on the day he found out about her pregnancy…

“Oh , oh ….” Top started hyperventilating and trudged to the exit when he was stopped.

“Top?” Aiden caught the old man from falling. “Wooahh…. Hold it, hold it… What’s wrong?”

Top lifted his shaking arm and pointed towards the room, his eyes wide open, his forehead dripping with sweat. “Some…someone…”

Aiden sighed. “What? Who?” Top pulled back a carefree Aiden and vigorously shook his head.

“Don’t go… there’s ….”

“God dammit Top, whose there?? You’re not supposed to be here anyway!” Aiden kicked the old door wide open and Top was again thrown back when he found an empty chair left in peace.

“But… I swear… Aiden, there was ….”

Aiden tightened his jaw and pinched the bridge of his nose. “Top. How many times do you want me to say this? Ever since you’ve been here you’ve been acting like a maniac! Start being professional--”

“DON’T TELL ME TO BE PROFESSIONAL!” Top started shivering from head to toe, his face getting red with each word he spoke, his voice raspy. “Don’t. Blame. Me.”

Aiden let out a laugh, looking away. “Being a senior doesn’t give you any right to raise your voice at me. You’re the one stumbling, not me. I’m just trying to put things in their right place. You’re the one acting against the plan.”

Top narrowed his eyes. “I see… So is this a threat? Well Aiden, you will not find a producer who will be ready to sponsor this reincarnation junk, alright?”

“Oh no Top, no..” Aiden smirked. “You dare not step away from this movie. Because today we’ll be shooting the last scene and by a fortnight’s time, we’ll have the important cuts prepared. And once you see the cuts Top, you’ll see the money. All I’m asking of you, is to be stable.”

While Top grunted and marched out of the building, his hair dishevelled, Aiden quickly peeked inside the room and kissed a shaken Eun Ah.

“Oh my god he’s old!” she hissed. Aiden placed a finger on her lips but grinned at her comment.

“I know,” he murmured. “And he won’t last for long. Good job Eun Ah. Now go before anyone sees you.”

As promised, Top was invited for a special screening of a few scenes of the highly anticipated movie. While waiting for the camera to start rolling, Aiden leaned back in his chair and excitedly tapped Top’s arm. “You’ll be blown away,” he whispered. Top nodded, a small smile on his lips. So far, nothing else had gone wrong. But the old lady, the burning frame, the dressing room….

“Something wrong?” Aiden waved at the home theatre installed in the studio. “Feeling uncomfortable?”

Top shook his head and allowed his body to shudder when the young actor looked away. “It’s started!” Aiden grinned and sipped on his cola.

Aiden was right, Top thought and swallowed his ego. The scenes had come out beautifully and Aiden was certainly a great actor and a great face to look at.

“I love you!” exclaimed Aiden’s character in the scene, running to embrace Krystal. The latter smiled, tears spilling out of her eyes and shyly hid her face in the man’s embrace. Top lost his balance when suddenly, lifting her head out of Aiden’s shoulder, was none other than the wife he had murdered.

“There! There! Did you see it?? Replay! Now!” Top jumped out of his seat and started pacing in front of the giant screen. Aiden jumped up with him and cursed.

“Gosh Top, what did you see? Ok fine, replay!” But as soon as the same scene played out, Krystal returned and completed the film with an innocent kiss.

The lights came back on and Top found himself being faced by a frozen Aiden. Slowly, the young man turned towards him and muttered, “What. Did. You. See.”

Top shook his head, gulping and shifting. “I swear, I saw her face… Her… she… she was there in the dressing room…”

“Oh my god Top! That again!” Aiden ran his fingers through his hair and saw Hyuk Jae nodding at his best friend’s perfect acting.

“You know, believe it or not, your antics are soon gonna break out onto the surface. Tomorrow, I’m going to find a picture of you on allkpop.com with the headline ‘Aiden Lee’s latest producer gone mad!’ and you, old man, you… You are going to ruin my image!”

Top, who had been staring at the floor during Aiden’s outburst lifted his head and with a blank look on his face murmured the very words Aiden did not want to hear. The very words that could destroy his plans and leave them as mere pieces of rubble.

“Fine. I’ll leave.”