best friends

Cheer Up!

A/N: Definitely not my best work but I wanted to post something because I've really missed writing about Twice. I also wanted to take a shot at writing a pairing other than MiMo and I'm a er for 2yeon so here we are. 

Writing's been hard lately. It might be lack of inspiration, me being a perfectionist, or graduation stress. Who knows?

As always, thank you for reading! Upvotes and comments are always appreciated.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Where the is my Chemistry book…?

 

Jungyeon was in the process of tearing apart her locker, trying very hard not to panic even though the book she was searching for to cram last minute for her test two periods from now was nowhere to be found. She silently cursed whatever deity decided that today, of all days, was the perfect one to with her.

 

After returning from a night of studying, she had fallen asleep before plugging her phone in, which led to her oversleeping this morning with only time to run a brush through her hair and brush her teeth before she had to haul and even with all that effort, she was still late to first period earning herself a demerit.

 

This is so not my day.

 

She had checked her bag several times and was positive it wasn’t in her car (and even if it was, she’d be equally ed since it’s not like she could go get it). The only other plausible place was her locker….or what used to be her locker.

 

She stared blankly at the mess of papers that now littered the entirety of her locker about ready to accept her fate when she heard a voice behind her.

 

“Wow. What did that poor locker ever do to you?”

 

B with frustration, she turned in the direction of the voice and glared at the owner. “Well, maybe I wouldn't have done that if I could just find my goddamn Chem…book…” she trailed off as her eyes drifted downward to the object held in the other girl’s hands.

 

“You mean this? I told I was gonna bring it to school today. If I had known you were going to go ape on your poor locker, I would’ve brought it sooner.” Nayeon held it out to Jungyeon who just looked at it.

 

Instead of taking it, she simply turned back to her locker, shut it, and proceeded to bang her head against it.

 

“Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hey! Stop that!” Yanked by the shoulder, Jungyeon was forced to turn back around, unable to stop a grimace as pain blossomed across her forehead before whining.

 

“You don’t understand, Nayeon," Jungyeon whined. "My phone’s dead, I overslept, I had to miss breakfast so I’m absolutely starving and I was late to class. It completely screwed up my plan to study more this morning so I’m going to bomb this test. And now my head hurts.” She pouted and rubbed her forehead, wincing slightly.

 

Nayeon frowned and patted her arm sympathetically. “That’s rough.”

 

Jungyeon pinched the bridge of her nose and sighed. “That would be an understatement.”

 

“Anything I can do?”

 

Jungyeon looked up and gave a weak smile. “Pray for my Chemistry grade?”

 

The older girl smiled sweetly as she linked their arms and began pulling her down the hall. “That I can do. C’mon, let’s get to class. Can’t have you being late again now, can we?”

 

Sighing deeply, Jungyeon allowed herself be dragged along but deep down was incredibly grateful for the girl called Im Nayeon.

 

The two of them had been friends as long as she could remember, always watching out for each other. She had lost count a long time ago the number of times Nayeon had saved her and she liked to think she returned the favor a time or two.

 

Nayeon was the one constant in Jungyeon’s life.

 

She can’t say she didn’t hate that she fell (haha) into the old “falling for your straight best friend” trope but it happened, really without warning.

 

All the younger girl knew was that she had woken up one morning after one of their many sleepovers, her mussed short hair sticking up every which way with sleepy eyes and glanced over to the spot where Nayeon lay, still deeply asleep.

 

She didn’t know if it was the way her hair was splayed out over the pillow, or if it was the way was slightly open, just barely showing her adorable bunny teeth, or the way the light was hitting her, giving this halo around her head. Whatever it was, it made her stomach flip and heart stop as she realized just how pretty her best friend was. While Jungyeon was processing this revelation, the older girl stirred from her own slumber. She didn't even open her eyes, just yawned cutely and then rolled over to place her head on Jungyeon's lap. Almost instinctively, her hands went to Nayeon's hair to start playing with it and she didn't miss the small smile that crossed the older girl's face.

 

From that point about two years ago, Jungyeon was totally whipped.

 

They had a running joke going on that they were dating because Nayeon never missed a chance to either cuddle or initiate some type of skinship with the younger girl (holding hands, kisses on the cheek, forehead, etc) and Jungyeon, seemingly never batting an eye, just went with it because, honestly, what was the point in trying to refuse a pouting Nayeon?

 

She did her best to ignore the way her heart fell when others would point it out and Nayeon would just laugh and say something along the lines of how Jungyeon was just her temporary boyfriend until she found a real one.

 

She would play along, acting incredibly offended and whining, “How could you treat me like that? Like I’m so disposable” to which Nayeon would respond by tickling her chin and cooing next to her cheek, “Oh Jungyeon-ah, you know no one could replace you.”

 

It’d take literally every fiber of her being to stop herself from turning her head and closing the gap.

 


Like most secrets, she was only able to keep it to herself for so long and it only took a little bit of prodding until she blurted it out to Momo one day while they were at lunch.

 

All she got was silence. She knew the blonde heard her. Jungyeon waited for some kind of verbal confirmation but when it didn't come, she put down her sandwich and looked incredulously at her.

 

“Well?”

 

Momo shrugged. “Well?”

 

Jungyeon frowned. “Aren’t you supposed to give me advice or pat me on the back and tell me it’s going to be okay or something?”

 

Momo munched on her own sandwich thoughtfully but didn’t speak until she finished chewing. “I COULD do either of those things. Except I don’t have any advice, at least any advice that you’d listen to,” she narrowed her eyes. “And you know as well as I do that sympathy will do jack because you’ll still feel like at the end of the day.”

 

Jungyeon rolled her eyes. Of course she would say something like that. “What’s the advice that I wouldn’t listen to?”

 

“You already know, you idiot.”

 

Momo was always the straightforward type. Jungyeon admired her for it, was envious even of how easy it was for the other girl to speak her mind. She wasn’t afraid to go after what she wanted, the most prime example being Myoui Mina.

 

They became quick friends, bonding over their love of dance and once the blonde realized that her friendly feelings weren’t so friendly after all, she wasted no time in confessing to the other girl.

 

And now they’d been together for over a year and Jungyeon had never seen her other best friend happier. Likewise, she was incredibly happy for her but couldn’t help the pang of envy whenever she saw the two of them, together being all couple-y.

 

“And you’re right. I wouldn’t listen to it. Because that would involve confessing and possibly triggering the catastrophic ending of our friendship which I don’t think my heart could survive.”

 

The younger just took another bite of her sandwich and mumbled something that sound suspiciously like, “And you call me the dramatic one.”

 

The short-haired girl gracefully chose to ignore the snide comment. “But this means I can come complain and mope to you, right? As long as I don’t expect you to respond with false sympathy. I don’t really want to tell anyone else.”

 

Momo sighed but smiled at her companion. “What else are friends for?”

 

“Remind me that I owe you a meal.”

 

“Oh, trust me. I will.”

 

 

 

Jungyeon didn’t consider herself a masochist. Of course, it hurt but she had grown used to it.

 

It was just a stupidly typical situation.

 

Girl A develops a crush on Girl B but has no idea if it’s reciprocated or if Girl B even likes girls so Girl A doesn’t say anything to avoid make a fool of herself or ruining the friendship.

 

Best case scenario: Something would happen to trigger a confession on one of their parts. They’d realize both of them felt the same way and would end up laughing about how much time they had wasted in trying to hide their feelings.

 

Middle case scenario: Their friendship turns completely awkward. They both pretend everything is okay, that a confession never happened. But soon Girl B starts avoiding Girl A and they eventually grow apart to phase out of each other’s life.

 

Worst case scenario: Girl B immediately cuts Girl A out of her life, making it very clear how disgusted she is.

 

 

So, even though it hurts, Jungyeon will keep her feelings locked inside.

 

Maybe one day.