little miss perfect

Cheer Up!

A/N the title is taken from a song that was just put out recently. It was written by Joriah Kwamé and performed by Taylor Louderman (whom I absolutely adore. If you haven't listened to Mean Girls on Broadway, please do yourself a favor and get it in your earholes). 

I guess I just needed to be inspired. I started listening to this at work and had it on repeat for almost an hour trying to figure out who would fit into this narrative. I don't know why that's even a question anymore because it's clear I'm whipped for Mina and Momo.

A quick little drabble that really doesn't have a resolution. 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

little miss perfect

 

ask anyone around school about myoui mina and more often than not, the word associated with her was “perfect”

 

perfect hair, perfect grades, head of student council since she was just a sophomore. 

 

perfectly put together in every way or so everyone always thinks. as it goes with those people who others deem “perfect”, mina fought plenty of her own battles. 

 

if you were to ask her how she was doing, you’d never see the brightness in her eyes dim even as her lips curve upwards and she’d chirp, “well, thank you. and yourself?”

 

never speaking of the breakdowns at 3am in her bedroom because the paper she got a B on would bring her average down to an A-.

 

no one questioning her routine of going to the bathroom directly after she ate to purge the not-perfect calories she just consumed.

 

suppressing the boiling pit of nausea whenever her friends talked about setting her up with the male ‘catch of the week’.

 

even little miss perfect has her secrets. 

 

she would never give voice to the way her heart jumps in every time she sees momo. or sana. or jihyo. or literally any pretty girl. she’s not supposed to feel that. 

 

she shouldn’t be as excited and nervous as she is when momo suggests they have a sleep over  at her house after the homecoming game. her stomach shouldn’t be swirling with desire and yearning as momo wiggles her eyebrows and reveals that not only will her parents not be home, but that she’s managed to procure a bottle of vodka and proclaims it will be the weekend of breaking mina out of her shell. 

 

friday comes and mina can’t focus anything except the thought of spending the entire night with momo. she doesn’t know if she’ll survive. 

 

it starts like any teen movie. they buy far too much junk food aside from the chinese food they already ate, they make a pillow fort, and watch overly cheesy rom-coms on netflix. 

 

and then momo breaks out the alcohol. it starts as a drinking game because honestly this movie was too cheesy to watch, and wanting to seem cool to the older girl, mina matches her drink for drink until about the fourth one (or was it the fifth? , she lost track) when the world has tilted on its axis. she opts to mix in some sprite and nurse her drink while she listens to momo talk about everything and anything over the long forgotten movie. it seems like they move closer and closer and mina is sure that momo has to notice how she can’t seem to tear away her gaze away from her lips.

 

every time momo cracks a joke and smiles her trademark smirk, it’s all mina can do to keep from jumping on her. 

 

(at one point, she does literally choke on her drink because she can’t handle it. momo seems oblivious as she pats mina on the back sympathetically while she regains her composure.)

 

mina can’t tell what was the breaking point. maybe it was how the fairy lights lit up her face. maybe it was the fact momo was threading her fingers through mina’s hair after an attempt to braid it but whatever the reason, as momo turned to surely make another snarky remark about one of the actors in the movie on TV, mina pressed her lips to hers.

 

it felt like floating. it felt like flying. it felt like coming home.

 

but at some point mina opened her eyes and saw her reflection in the mirror. the reality of what she just did came crashing down on her and despite every fiber of her being aching to stay in their little bubble, she ran. she had so much to lose, so many people that’d be disappointed in her actions. 

 

she thought about begging momo not to tell anyone, about trying to explain why she ran, giving her any kind of explanation for her behavior at all.

 

instead she initiated a super healthy coping mechanism and simply ignored momo. 

 

eventually she did get cornered by her except it was just to be told that there wasn’t anything between them and that mina should pull whatever stick she had up her and stop avoiding her.

 

so everything fell back into the natural order. everything besides mina’s broken heart.

 

but what was a broken heart if she still had her title of “little miss perfect”?