she's got the rhythm (Momo x Mina, implied Eunseo/Cheng Xiao)

Cheer Up!

Grace, elegance, poise. All common descriptors used when talking about Myoui Mina.


Crier is not one of them.

It seems like all her nerves are firing on end and her brain is saddled in a hazy cloud but she’s completely aware of the hot tears that threaten to spill over as she makes her way over to where the rest of the contestants are sitting. Still struggling to hold back her tears, she takes her seat next to Eunji. Despite never having met each other before, the older woman places a gentle hand on Mina’s forearm but doesn’t say anything. It’s probably for the best as Mina doesn’t think she could speak without completely breaking down; talking with Eric right after her performance had been difficult enough along with hearing the constant chatter of the announcers be how much of a pity it was she made such mistakes when she had a near perfect rehearsal the night before. It was pure mechanical muscle memory that kept the smile on her face as she received her score. It wasn’t the worst but Mina knew it was far from what everyone had expected. She was surprised to say the least when she found out Cheng Xiao had chosen her to take first. Mina was fully aware of the Chinese girl’s abilities and knew all the other competitors, along with herself, picked her to place first. With the event over, it was just one more insult to injury that things turned out the way they did.


Mina can’t bring herself to focus on Cheng Xiao’s performance. Her head is still swimming and she’s using the last of her energy to force a stop to her tears. It’s a dull roar she hears as the younger girl’s score is announced and Mina looks up to see her being swarmed by her group members.


She’s happy for Cheng Xiao, she truly is. She can’t imagine how difficult it must to be try and make yourself stand out among 12 other girls who are equally, if not more talented. Mina isn’t terribly familiar with WJSN but she knows that the younger girl isn’t very strong vocally yet. It makes sense that she would compensate with her physical ability but it doesn’t change the fact Mina still deeply regrets the way the event turned out.


But another thing Myoui Mina is not is a sore loser.

Making sure the last traces of tears are wiped away, she stands up and makes her way over to Cheng Xiao, still surrounded by her members. She tries her best to ignore the protective looks the WJSN members are giving her, particularly one whose nametag read Eunseo and bows to the girl. “Congratulations, Cheng Xiao-ssi. It was a wonderful performance. The medal is well-deserved.”


Upon hearing Mina’s statement, most of the girls visibly relaxed with the exception of Eunseo who remained by Cheng Xiao’s side, side-eyeing Mina skeptically. The Chinese girl beamed back at Mina before bowing quickly. “Thank you, Mina-ssi! It was an honor to compete in this event with you.” Her careful but earnest pronunciation and diction brings a small smile to Mina’s face, very reminiscent of herself not so long ago.

“Perhaps, if they bring this back next year, I can actually give you some competition.” Mina’s smile turns a bit rueful as she glances back towards the mat they’ve already begun dismantling.

While she’s distracted, Cheng Xiao nudges Eunseo away mouthing, “Give me a minute?” Eunseo nods and begins to herd the other girls away, leaving the two in silence.


“You shouldn’t be too hard on yourself.” The younger girl’s voice brings Mina’s attention back to her and she’s faced with wide eyes. “You performed well too. I mean, I came into this thinking I was going to lose to you. The same thing could have happened to me out there and we'd be in each other's shoes. A single performance doesn’t define your talent.”


Mina gapes at the girl for a minute before her lips quirk into a smile. “Are you sure you’re younger than me?”


Cheng Xiao just giggles. “I mean it. We should all be proud of our performances with the little amount of time we had to prepare.”


“You’re right. It’s just hard right now.” Mina looks back again to the mat and then back at Cheng Xiao. “But thank you. I should let you get back to your group now. I think… Eunseo, is it? She might drag you away if I don’t.” She’s not kidding; she was very aware of how often the girl’s head turned towards them, clearly impatiently waiting for their conversation to be done.


Mina notices the Chinese girl’s eyes flicker to something behind her. “It looks like you have someone waiting for you too.”


Mina turns around to see her own members, clearly waiting for her but obviously respecting the conversation that was happening. At the very front of the group was Momo. Her heart clenches at the sight of her red, teary, eyes and Mina becomes acutely aware of just how exhausted she feels and that she wants nothing more than to be wrapped up in her arms. She turns back to Cheng Xiao for the last time, bowing again. “Good luck with the rest of the competition. WJSN fighting!” She raises her fist with a small smile.


She thinks Cheng Xiao’s grin might split her face. “Thank you, Mina-ssi. Good luck to you too! Twice fighting!” The younger girl hesitates for a moment before quickly hugging Mina who doesn’t even have time to return it before the other girl is bowing profusely, cheeks red as can be. With a now embarrassed grin, she retreats back to her members and Mina is overcome with a wave of fondness, not only for her competitor but for the group as a whole. They seem like good kids and she makes the decision to follow WJSN more closely.


She watches for a moment as Eunseo swoops in immediately back to Cheng Xiao’s side, her arm around the girl. The way she looks at Cheng Xiao reminds Mina she has her own person waiting for her. She walks back to her group who welcomes her with open arms and reassurances. It’s only after they’ve assured themselves she’s alright that they disperse once more.

All except one.

Momo stands next to Mina who is observing WJSN. “Should I be jealous?” An arm rests across Mina’s shoulders and she looks up at her dirty-blonde counterpart.


“Jealousy isn’t a good look on you, Moguri.” She nudges Momo in the side. “She’s a good kid. And it looks like she has her own special someone.” She sees the two girls huddled in close together, not all that different to how her and Momo must look right now.

“Kid? You’re only a year older than her.”

Mina wraps her arms around Momo’s waist and squeezes. “She is though. They all are.”

She shivers slightly as she feels long fingers intertwine with hers, a thumb rubbing against her hand. “If you say so, babe,” There’s a slight tug as Momo starts walking. “Come on, we should catch up with the rest of the group.”

Mina follows along more than willingly. “You know I’m going to be using you as my pillow for the rest of the day, right?”

Momo turns back and smiles at Mina. “Of course, princess.”