Chapter 9

Morning Sunshine

Henry stepped out of the shower and was wrapping himself as he walked out, carefree as the bathroom was attached to his room. He only had time to thank god that he at least had the towel around when he saw an uninvited guest sitting smack on the middle of his bed.

 

“Yah! What are you doing in my room?” He made sure his towel was firmly placed around his waist.

 

“Your room is in my house, so technically, it’s considered my room too.” Zhoury shrugged his shoulder, not caring at all. Seriously, this brat was finding serious trouble with Henry.

 

“Whatever. Can you like please go out? As you can see, I need to change.” Henry was so tempted to lunge after the kid just to make him a little scared. Why couldn’t he be one of the cute types? Instead, he was one of those smarty pants.

 

“Are you shy?” Zhoury snickered, which reminded him scarily of Kyuhyun. Looked like this boy has been spending too much time with Kyuhyun.

 

“Fine, not a problem of mine.” Henry dragged his unpacked bag and dug for his clothes. More snickering.

 

“What now?” Asked a beleaguered Henry.

 

“You didn’t even unpack your bag. Are you really a star?”

 

“I haven’t unpacked because I don’t plan to stay here for long. Understand, genius?”  Both glared at each other. It didn’t matter to Henry that Zhoury was just 5 years old.

 

“Really?” Henry turned to look at Zhoumi whom was leaning against the wide open door.

 

Henry became tongue tied. He never envisioned him self to meet Zhoumi once again, let alone live together.

 

“Yeah. I have lived on my own for so long and I prefer it that way.” He clutched his clothes protectively. He felt too conscious of his state of half ness all of a sudden.

 

Zhoumi just stared at Henry, his gaze unreadable.

 

“We will have dinner after you get changed. Come, Zhoury.” Zhoury stuck his tongue out before hoping off the bed.

 

Henry helped Zhoumi to bring the dishes out. It was so family like that Henry had a hard time adjusting. As he always knew, Zhoumi was a good father. He made sure Zhoury washed his hands and also scolded him gently but firmly when the boy refused.

 

“You look really good, Henry.” Zhoumi commented as he fed Zhoury while he ate. The action reminded him of the times when Zhoumi did the same to him.

 

“Did you do all this cooking?” Henry made an attempt to converse.

 

“Yes, is it that bad?”

 

“No, it’s good but why don’t you hire a maid or ask aunty to cook?” What was he doing? It was none of his business how these people lived. Zhoumi was his past, not present.

 

“We have a maid who comes here three times a week. I try to cook twice in a week, and we go out once in a week and on Sundays, we eat at the main house.” Zhoumi explained.

 

Didn’t the boy spend time with Hana even a little? Henry was curious but remained quiet. He didn’t want to know more. When you asked more, you became closer. Been there, done that once remember?

 

“Were you really best friend’s with my papa?” Smarty pants asked. This was exactly the kind of questions Henry looked forward to avoid.

 

“Don’t talk while your mouth is full.” Henry smiled widely as he said that.

 

“Were we?” Zhoumi asked, taking over his son. He concentrated on Henry, searching for an answer.

 

“Your mouth is full too.” Henry continued eating, pretending to be immersed with the very casual meal.

 

“You were never like this before.” Zhoumi slowly whispered. The child was taking turns looking at Henry and Zhoumi.

 

“People change and your boy is staring.” Henry warned Zhoumi of the presence of a child.

 

They finished their meal in an awkward silence. It only made Henry to be more determined on moving out as soon as he could, with or without Kyuhyun’s help.

 

After clearing out the dishes, Henry entered his room and fiddled with his violin. He didn’t want to think. Just another day, and he can probably move out after this. He played whatever song that came to his mind.  After an hour or so, he began to play his first song, the song that was intended to cleanse his heartbreak.

 

“That is such a sad music.” Zhoury commented as he climbed on the bed, dressed in pajama’s.

 

“What. Are.You.Doing.Here?” Henry placed his violin back in his case.

 

“I am going to sleep here too.” He grinned and plopped on the bed.

 

‘Says who?” God, he mostly spent time arguing with this kid.

 

“Please, can I? Uncle Kyuhyun and grandma said you were my papa’s best friend and I want to know about papa when he was younger.” The boy’s eyes went big and hopeful.

 

“How long did you practice the look in the mirror?” Henry asked, stifling a smile.

 

“Is it that obvious? Urgh..The noonas' always fall for that. But can I, please?”

 

“Yeah, fine.” Henry gave in and switched the light off before going to the other side of the bed.

 

“So, what do you want to know?”

 

“Does my papa like to nag even then?”

 

“Yes. We fought often because of that.” Memories, that was both painful and sweet.

 

“Did my parents love each other?” Zhoury asked after a moment.

 

Henry swallowed.

 

“Mum left us after I was born. Grandma said mum got promoted to overseas. But if she really loved us, she wouldn’t have left us right? My friends’ mothers are all with them. Grandma always asks papa to let me stay over there but papa refuses. He says that I’m his child and it’s his responsibility to take care of me. So he always picks me up from grandma’s and grandpa’s place after he finishes his work. I hate my mum.”

 

Without a conscious thought, Henry held the boy’s hand in the dark. He lost his mother when he was young and he understood. But in Zhoury’s case, she was well and alive. It was worse.

 

“Your papa is a good man, Zhoury. He loves you, very very much. So you must never feel alone.” Henry’s eyes started tearing.

 

“….Are you crying? Your voice sounds funny.” Zhoury sat up. Henry pushed him back with his arm and said nothing.

 

“You have any other questions, brat?” Henry faked a yawn.

 

“Can you stay with us a bit longer? Papa smiles more when you are here. When uncle Kyu said you were going to come, papa was excited. He always bought your cd’s and listened to them. Once I caught papa tearing when he was listening and he covered up just like you did earlier.”

 

“I did not cover up.” Henry said even as his throat choked. Not even a full day in Korea and 6 years of sheer hard work of getting over Zhoumi broke into pieces.

 

“Yeah, you did. Your voice still sounds funny. I don’t know why adults lie when they cry. They think children are stupid.” He yawned. “Good night, uncle Henry.” Zhoury unexpectedly hugged him and closed his eyes.

 

Some time later, he heard Zhoumi gently knocking the door.

 

“Is he asleep? I was busy over the phone and didn’t realize he was planning to sleep with you. I’ll carry him.” Zhoumi came over.

 

“No, I am fine with it. Let him sleep here.” Henry insisted.

 

“Are you sleepy?” Zhoumi asked. Henry made sure his eyes were dry.

 

“No, I am not. The time difference.” Henry explained shortly.

 

“Do you..do you want to come out?”

 

“It’s..”

 

“Please.” Zhoumi’s pleading was just as effective as Zhoury’s. Henry sighed and followed Zhoumi to the living room.

 

“Zhoury looks very much like you.” Henry asked himself again and again why he was inflicting himself towards this kind of silent torture. Apparently, Zhoumi was still his weakness.

 

Zhoumy laughed as he poured them drinks. Having Henry here, flesh and blood after those lonely days seems to be too good to be true. Watching Zhoury sleep with Henry made him even more hopelessly in love. He was a father and yet his feelings were just as turbulent and passionate as a teenager. Maybe even more so. Years apart only made him hungry for the things only Henry was capable of doing and giving. The way Henry always made him laugh and lose his reservation. The way they could effortlessly talk and understand each other despite the difference of their personalities.

 

His separation from Hana was not solely her fault. He couldn’t give her the love and affection she hoped. His feelings for Henry somehow came in between them and he couldn’t bring him self to touch her. Even if he didn’t say it out aloud, he guessed a woman could always tell. He loved her, but loved her not as a woman, but as the mother of his child. When she was offered the promotion, she thought taking it was best rather than living a life that was a lie. Maybe she could have at least kept in touch with their child but she wanted a clean break.  His only regret was not providing a mother’s love for Zhoury. He always tried to make up for that. He then studied Henry’s profile. In all these years, Henry too never had a relationship that he knew off. Shall he fight for him now before it was too late?

 

“Here is your drink.” Zhoumi passed the glass to Henry before sitting opposite Henry.

 

“Are you really upset in staying with us here?” Zhoumi hoped for an encouraging answer.

 

“Not really..” If it wasn’t for Zhoury earlier, his answer would have been different. Henry unwillingly cursed him self for getting down the same road once again. It looked like he never learned his lesson after all.

 

“I missed you, Henry.” Zhoumi made his mind then. He was going to do his best to pursue this man he lost once due to his own carelessness.

 

“Why didn’t you ever visit me then?” Henry slipped his true feelings. Damn!

 

“I had a baby to take care off and you were in the fast lane. It wouldn’t have been fair for me to find you after you were famous.”

 

“That’s bull!” Henry exploded. He stood up, scared that if he was here alone with Zhoumi longer, Henry would end up feeling and saying things that he would regret later.  Zhoumi blocked Henry’s path and turned him to face him firmly.

 

“Did you wish me to come after you? Do you still?” Zhoumi’s questioning gaze penetrated through Henry’s shield.

 

Henry shook his head repeatedly, biting his lips. He already grew out of it, he convinced him self. Henry pushed Zhoumi but Zhoumi crushed his lips towards Henry, letting loose his yearnings and regrets, his hold branding Henry like fire.

 

“When you left, I lost my self.” His breath was hot in Henry’s ears. He placed small wet kisses on Henry’s neck. God, to feel this way back again was like receiving an aphrodisiac of love. With Zhoury, he was a father. With Henry, he was able to feel and be like a man. To have the right to be selfish.

 

“Why do you always do this to me Zhoumi? I lose my self when I am with you. I learned to live without you and I feel safer that way. Maybe I was not happy but I never had to feel pain too.” Henry punched at Zhoumi’s chest, blaming him for the helplessness he felt once again.

 

“You were always there for me, and then I was all alone. Did you know how many nights I cried my self to sleep because of you?” He pounded on Zhoumi harder. Zhoumi didn’t move an inch.

 

“Let go. Please. Before I lose my self even more. I can’t survive another hear break because of you. I beg you. I need to be me. When I am with you, you become my every thought and I forget myself.” Henry started sobbing, clutching Zhoumi even as he asked him to let go. Zhoumi hugged Henry tightly.

 

“I am sorry, Henry. I am so sorry.” Zhoumi apologized profusely as Henry sobbed, knowing well he needed to do more to show Henry he was going to be there for him from now on wards.

 

“You are not alone anymore. I am not going to leave you. I can’t. I need you Henry. Let me show you how much. Give me a chance. Zhoury is my life, but you are too. I can’t live without the both of you. Can’t you see?”

 

Henry came to his senses after his outburst.  What made him say all that? Feeling ashamed, he struggled to stand up and ran to the room, locking it against Zhoumi.

 

“Henry, open up! We need to talk.” Zhoumi whispered from the other side, as not to wake Zhoury up.

 

“Not today. There is nothing to talk about, Zhoumi.” Henry used his full weight to lean on the door.

 

“I’ll continue staying here if you promise not to bring this up ever again.” He demanded from Zhoumi.

 

“What?!” Zhoumi exclaimed from the other side of the door.

 

“Do I have it?” Henry stubbornly persisted. “Or I will move the first thing in the morning.”

 

“Fine. You have my word.” Zhoumi agreed, although he was already planning for other ways to bring the subject up. He could wait for another day or two.

 

Kyu's lover will be revealed in the next chapter..although most of you have guessed it right..But it's not Hana though..Sigh, i hate to be this predictable..Ke ke ke...^^