Chapter 7

Morning Sunshine

Zhoumi took a deep breath and waited for the door to open. He was probably being reckless but it couldn’t be helped. That evil Kyuhyun got him thinking. He accepted that he had to do the right thing. The door opened and revealed Hana’s lovely face. She let out a gasp as she saw Zhoumi’s face and covered her lips with her fingers, but Zhoumi stepped in, gently pushing her in. He wanted to be done with this unpleasant task as soon as he could.

 

 

“Zhoumi, what happened to your face?” Hana reached forward and brushed her fingers on Zhoumi’s face to assess how bad it was but her movements were stilled as Zhoumi stepped back from her and cleared his throat. His usual smile was not in place.

 

“I need to talk to you, Hana. I…” Zhoumi was torn in to two even as he prepared his words. Hana was his ideal girl and to throw everything they had away, he must be mad. But it was recently that he realized what he wanted and what he needed are two different things. He wanted a girl like Hana but he needed Henry to live. The thought of losing Henry alone made him act like a caged animal. He never considered the importance of Henry’s presence in his life seriously before as Henry was always the unchangeable constant best friend in his life. But in the event Kyuhyun manages to snatch Henry away, aah, that was too depressing a thought.

 

“I need to tell you something too, Zhoumi.” Hana linked her fingers together in nervousness. It was then that Zhoumi noticed her tear stricken face.

 

“You need to tell me something?” Zhoumi was taken aback with this new development. She slowly nodded. The hair at the back of Zhoumi’s neck stood up as he felt a sense of impending doom.

 

“I’m pregnant.” She dissolved into tears then.

 

“W-what?” Zhoumi asked just to make sure he heard it right.

 

“I’m pregnant. We shouldn’t have..Oh god!” More crying.

 

“But it was only once and we had protection…” It felt like the walls were closing in on Zhoumi. He ed the top button of his blouse to feel less suffocated. His mind still rejected Hana’s news. He was hoping it was one of those ridiculous pranks where some find it amusing. Please let it be so.

 

“I know, it must have malfunctioned. Do you think I want to be pregnant this soon? I just started working and we don’t even have a plan yet.” She clenched her dress at her stomach. Zhoumi eyed her movement. Were they really going to have a baby?

 

“Are you really sure, Hana? That it’s pregnancy and nothing else?” Please let there be an error. His palms were sweating.

 

“I’m sure. I tested it with the kit and went to the clinic after. It was positive. Zhoumi, what in the world are we going to do now?” Hana implored at Zhoumi. She slowly slid to the floor and hugged her legs as she cried. Zhoumi had no doubts about the baby being his. She was a when they slept together and the calculation matched. Zhoumi sat next to her and laid his arm on her, pushing all his other feelings away. It seems fate was not in favor of him and Henry after all. He sat quietly, waiting for her to cry finish as he forced himself to came to terms with his future.

 

 

Henry finished his work and sighed loudly. He was going to have to meet Zhoumi sooner or later. The kiss twisted his insides in and out. He spent his whole day wondering what made Zhoumi act that way. Dare he hope Zhoumi had a tiny whinny bit of feeling for him?

 

“Heya newbie, what are you spacing off for? If you are done, get going.” Kyuhyun walked out from his office. His face was better now.

 

“In the afternoon earlier, what did you tell Zhoumi?” Henry self applauded at him self for courageously asking the question to Kyuhyun.

 

“Just the truth.” Funny, it was what Zhoumi said earlier too.

 

“What truth?” Henry persisted.

 

“Why don’t you ask your boy friend instead? Do I look like the type to answer your question? First rule of success, learn to read people.”

 

Henry just nodded as he stood up to leave. He dragged his feet out and missed Kyuhyun’s wide smile. Soon, this newbie will be grateful for his interference. It was a moment of random impulse which made Kyuhyun to offer his help. Recently, his production company alone did not satisfy him. He was searching for something else too. Until he knew what the something else was, Kyuhyun decided to play with Henry and his matters.

                                                                                                                                               

 

Henry slowly opened the door of the house and went in. He was surprised to hear many voices. Rarely did they have any family meetings on a weekday. Zhoumi’s mother saw him first.

 

“Henry! You are back finally. Today is a blessed day!” She was all smiles. Henry smiled along, not sure of what was happening. Today was surely the weirdest day of his life.

 

“Zhoumi and Hana are getting married! I can finally meet my maker in peace.” She laughed to her self and came to hug Henry. Zhoumi’s father was booming with laughter. Henry let go of his bag slowly as the news once again shattered whatever remaining softness he had within him. Zhoumi came to his view but avoided his gaze. Hana was right behind him. From an unexpected strength that suddenly came to his rescue, Henry smiled heartily and extended his hand to congratulate Zhoumi. He had enough of all this confusion and being left behind. No more tears. He cried more than his share already.

 

Zhoumi hesitantly shook hands with Henry. Henry seemed to be genuinely happy while here he was dying a slow death. He didn’t have a choice. The child Hana and he created deserved a father.

 

“I will talk to you later, Henry.” Zhoumi mumbled, he needed to explain but Henry brushed him off as he hugged Hana next.

 

It was almost 11 o’clock when Hana and her parents left the house. The house was silent once again. Henry’s endurance level hit the rock bottom by then, but no, he needed to hang in there, he had to last just a bit more until his talk with Zhoumi. No sooner he thought that, Zhoumi entered his room.

 

“Didn’t anybody ask about your injuries?” Henry asked nonchalantly. As if he was not hurting. He knew from the start Zhoumi was never his but the wounds which he thought was healed re-opened again.

 

“I told them some story. They believed it. I’m sorry, Henry.” Zhoumi apologized for the second time, the first being the time he had to reject Henry away.

 

“For what?” Henry pretended as if he didn’t know. In all honesty, he didn’t want to go through the same we- can’t- be together period again.

 

“For everything.” Zhoumi finished as he sat opposite Henry. Henry was the love he realized a little too late.

 

“Hana’s pregnant.” Zhoumi let out the words. Nobody else knew yet. They were going to take some time before they announced.

Henry’s eyebrows shot up. He didn’t need to know that. He didn’t want to. Hana’s pregnancy implied that Zhoumi has in fact been intimate with some one else.

 

“Congratulations again.” Henry stood up and went to the window. He preferred to look at the light out side than the man whom always tended to break his heart accidentally.

 

“Is that all you have to say, Henry? Scream to me, shout to me!” Zhoumi stood behind Henry, hesitating whether to pull Henry closer or not.

 

“I don’t have the right to do all that. You were never mine to begin with.” Henry smiled sadly.

 

“I am always yours, Henry. I just didn’t know it. B-but the baby needs me more.” A warm tear slid down his cheeks. “A child shouldn’t have to suffer the sins of the father.” Zhoumi brought Henry closer.

 

“Don’t cry, Zhoumi. You never made any promises and you are doing the right thing.” Such brave words, Henry thought. Just words.

 

“Am I? Why does it seem so hard then?” Zhoumi kissed Henry, letting his lips linger. If only he could rewind back everything. It was his own fault. Does such stupidity exist?

 

“Why did you kiss me earlier, Zhoumi?”

 

“Because I finally have feelings for you, Henry and it’s too late. How ironic.” Zhoumi said with a self deprecating smile.

 

“Have a good life with her and the baby.” It was the most Henry could hope for. Talking was becoming unbearable.

 

“Good night, Zhoumi.” Henry wanted to end this conversation. Zhoumi seemed to understand and left him alone. As he knew already, there were no more tears to shed.

 

The preparation for the wedding started in a blink of an eye. As universe had a erse sense of humor, as it was Kyuhyun whom became Henry’s greatest ally. He discovered Henry’s talent and started pushing him towards auditions. Kyuhyun became Henry’s self elected manager, not taking no for an answer. Henry participated in the sole reason to escape the bleakness of Zhoumi’s on coming marriage. It served as an excuse to not to attend any of the preparation or dinners.

 

The wedding was a week away when Henry was finally accepted to an entertainment company in the U.S as a junior performer. Kyuhyun, with his usual demonic goals, insisted Henry to go to the U.S and try. Finally, on Zhoumi’s wedding day, Henry left Korea.

 

 

Six years later…

 

“3…2…1..Start!” The cameraman gave the host and Henry the cue.

 

“Good morning, Henry! We are deeply honored to conduct this interview with you today as you are known for your mysterious reclusive life style. We could count the very few interviews you have given since your debut in one hand. A y man like you for our show today has all our female viewers glued to the TV.” The sophisticated lady host flashed a big smile. Henry just nodded politely.

 

“In the last six years, you never failed to astound us with your amazing skill as a violinist. Your style was accepted by a wide range of audience. For all their differences, your music brought people together.” She charged ahead as Henry’s segment was for 15 minutes, with his performance included.

                 

“I am sure that’s exaggerated.” Henry replied back, allowing a small smile. This host was actually a close friend of Kyuhyun in the industry and Henry’s best friend. She took care of him when Kyuhyun was in Korea.

 

“I don’t think so. Your music was always melancholic but yet addictive. I am representing the many fans of yours by asking is there a story behind your music? A love story perhaps?”

 

“Every one falls in love at least once in their life time. I’m no exception.” Henry replied ambiguously.

 

“Ah, so there is a story. Was it the reason of the person you are now? The reason for your inspiration?”

 

“My inspiration comes to me through my listeners. My love story was nothing special. It ended even before it started.”

 

“Oh Henry, that must have been hard for you.”

 

“It was then, but I grew out of it. It seems ridiculous now. My music is my constant lover.”

 

“Henry, this aura of yours is exactly the reason why you have females fainting on your feet. Abruptly direct and yet, you have the wounded look. You give off the I-need-to –be healed kind of vibe that most girls are defenseless against.” She tried to make Henry smile, but he was oblivious towards her attempts. She sighed inwardly. He was so into his music that he lost tract of the etiquette’s of socializing. It took him two years to smile at her and they were house mates in real.

 

“Their support alone is enough to heal me.”

 

 

 

“News is, you are planning to return to Korea. Why now, after all this years? Are you tired of the U.S?” She leaned forward, adapting a serious expression.

 

“I can never be tired of the U.S. It’s the place I began my new life and career. But I think it’s best to return home now though.”

 

“So you will be having your own concert in Korea?”

 

“Yes, as soon as I have settled. The details are handled by my manager.” He answered seriously, without flirting or humor. She never got to meet the boy he was before he came to the U.S. According to Kyuhyun, he was different then. Care free and sweet. Now, he was indifferent towards anything except his music and his limited circle of friends. He was named as the wounded angel by his fans.

 

She got over her crush towards him after she knew there was no way of getting through his defenses. She was probably his only best friend in America and even to her, he never spoke about his past in Korea. She always wondered whom was the love that was powerful enough to break Henry this badly. There was hype of course that they were in a relationship but as it boosted her show’s and Henry’s popularity, she didn’t find the necessity to deny it. Henry didn’t care either way. 

 

“Speaking about your manager, aren’t you lucky to have the Cho Kyuhyun as your representative?  He has his own production, which is the most sought after in Korea and yet, he only represents you. Can you tell us more about your relationship with him?”

 

“He was my employer actually before I came here. And then we became friends. I was a music student and when he heard me playing one day, he took care of everything. To think about it, he didn’t listen to me at all when I said I was not interested in the beginning. He said I had a gift and it was my obligation to share it with the world. He also said, while I am at it, gaining popularity was not a bad thing.” That memory brought a sincere smile from Henry.

 

“Henry, we had a fabulous time today. Our only regret is we don’t have more time. Can you please play your first song for the audience?”

 

 

Henry sat in his limo after the show. He answered his phone as it rang.

 

“Henry, the date for you arrival to Korea is set. You have two more weeks to clear all your businesses.” Kyuhyun said from the other line.

 

“Isn’t it your job as my manager to clear them up for me?” Henry joked slightly.

 

“I have my musical starting tomorrow. So shut it. Will mail you the details later. Got to go.”  Kyuhyun cut off his line abruptly.

 

Henry played with his phone. He was going back again to the place he left broken after six long years.  It didn’t make a difference though. It didn’t matter where he was, he knew how to take care of him self.

 

To the readers whom may be perplexed with the story line, i deeply apologize! I don't know why i wrote the way i did..The story kinda deviated from the original plan..I don't blame those who wants to unsubscribe..I may even stop the story if it's that bad...I think the stress in my life is affecting my writing... ><