Chapter 5

Morning Sunshine

“And then he just made the actor leave and the rest of us were fretting about the replacement. And 2 hours later, singer Rain appears, taking over the character. The director can be an sometimes but he holds true to his words and nothing beats his professionalism.” Henry enthusiastically talked about Kyuhyun to Zhoumi as he shoved food into his mouth.

 

Zhoumi kept nodding politely, playing with his food. It has been this way since the day Henry joined his work 2 months ago. The only topics they talked revolved exclusively around the production and the members. Particularly this one Kyuhyun.

 

“Eunhyuk has so many of the trainee dancers after him which makes Donghae very angry. The thing is, Donghae has his own fan club too but he is so into Eunhyuk. So, they inevitably argue. Bom unnie is probably the most sane one there as she is..”

 

“I get it, Henry.” Zhoumi stood up suddenly and cleared his plate. Ironically, he could feel how it would have been for Henry at the earlier times when he started dating Hana. That his best friend was no longer exclusively his. As how Henry had to share Zhoumi with Hana, Zhoumi was now forced to share Henry with the production team. It frustrated him. Enraged him even sometimes.

 

“Is something the matter, Zhoumi?” Henry frowned looking at Zhoumi’s very still back. Could something have happened today?

 

“You are happy? Being there with them?” Such a childish question, he knew.

 

“Yeah, I am. After dad died, if it was not for you and the family, I would have died too. At that time, with the mind set I was in, I would have thought that death would have been preferable than having such a lonely existence. And then the production team slowly took away my sadness. It’s fun working with them. We have our rough moments, but I feel like I belong there.” Henry said, smiling dreamily. It was baby steps, but he was beginning to enjoy life back.

 

“Will you be coming to the opening night? I can get you 2 free tickets. It’s always house full, so you should really take this chance.” Henry beamed proudly now, contented with being a part of the production family.

 

“Doesn’t Hana’s presence bother you?” Zhoumi asked deliberately. He was probably a jerk for asking such a question but he was twisted with jealousy. Zhoumi was happy for Henry, but selfishly wished he would have been the one to put the smile on Henry’s face. He had to know whether he was still important in Henry’s life.

 

“No, not anymore. I need to wake up early tomorrow. Good night, Zhoumi.” What came over Zhoumi? Henry never expected such a question from him. It was an unspoken rule between them to not to bring the subject up. His heart pounded once again. Henry laid his palm on his heart in an effort to calm it down. Zhoumi, you are not being fair. Don’t do this to me again.


******************************************************************************************************************************************

 

“Have you made the arrangements with the costume designer?” Kyuhyun asked while going thorough his paper work. This devil of a man multiple tasked like crazy thus he wanted the others to follow his footsteps too. This in turn was the reason why many previous assistants quit their job or inevitably got fired. Henry was sure the second was bound to happen to him. It was just a matter of time.

 

 

He furiously jotted down Kyuhyun’s rapid stream of orders while the rumbling of his stomach reminded him it was lunch time. Well, lunch had to wait. It was a while after that Kyuhyun stretched himself and said he was finished for now. Henry heaved a deep sigh of breath only to stop it half way as he caught Kyuhyun staring at him. He straightened his back and tried to behave.

 

“For a newbie, you do passable job.” Passable from Kyuhyun was excellent in lay men’s terms. Henry gulped, unsure of his reply. He respected Kyuhyun but it didn’t extend to casual conversations.

 

“Relax, I don’t eat people. Well, not unless you deserve it.” Kyuhyun did his customized snickering.

 

“So, you are living with your friend? “ Henry blinked. He didn’t think Kyuhyun would know. He only told the others.

 

“Er..yeah, my best friend and his family actually. My dad used to work for them.” Henry slowly slumped. He wanted to just slide to the floor like a jelly fish. It was supposed to be his break time anyway.

 

“Hmmm…What’s he working as? And how come you are not living with your girl friend?” Kyuhyun asked, still intensely staring. By right, Henry should be accustomed to Kyuhyun’s probing nature but this was way personal. Not something anyone discussed with a tyrant of a boss.

 

“He is training under his father now and I’m not living with my girl friend because I don’t have one.” Can he leave now? He was really hungry.

 

“I never thought you actually swing the other way. Interesting.” Kyuhyun’s eyes gleamed with humor.

 

Other way? How did he know? Was he one too?

 

“To answer the question in your mind, you blushed when you spoke about your one true love,” Heavy mocking, no surprise there. “And I go for both teams. But don’t worry, you are safe. You are not my type.”

 

“I see.” Henry just stretched out a constipated smile. A weird, weird conversation.

 

“Does he know?” Kyuhyun was enjoying himself with this kid. His every expression flashed thorough his face, making it fun to watch.  Kyuhyun made himself comfortable.

 

Was he really supposed to answer that question? Crap! “Yeah, but he has a girl friend and…suffice to say, we remain as best friends.”

 

“Let me see, is this boy friend of yours smart looking, a filial son, loyal best friend, a gentleman type and basically, the good citizen?”

 

“He is not my boy friend but yeah, he fits the description. Why?” Did Kyuhyun know Zhoumi?

“Ah..so typical…so boring..and bound to be heart breaking too. Guys like that are certified straights and guys like you, are always idiotic enough to fall for that type.”

 

Henry narrowed his eyes slightly. He didn’t remember asking Kyuhyun’s opinion in the first place.

 

“He is more than that. I know him for 14 years.” Henry tried to politely rebuff Kyuhyun.

 

“Defending him even when he is not around. How sweet. Invite him to our play. The girl friend too. I want to see this straight and the narrow boy friend of yours.”

 

It was Henry’s initial plan but what has it got to do with Kyuhyun? This man definitely had schizophrenia or on his way to be diagnosed as one.

 

Somebody knocked the door and Henry almost felt to his knees in gratefulness. It was Eunhyuk.

 

“Henry, what are you doing here skipping your lunch? Your friend is waiting out for you. He said he tried calling you and you were not picking up.”

 

“My friend?” Henry didn’t remember making plans with anyone. And his phone was in his sling bag at his desk.

 

“Yeah, ehmmm…Zhoumi? A Chinese name definitely.” Eunhyuk tried to recall the handsome fellow’s name.

 

“Zhoumi?? He came here? May I?” He asked Kyuhyun.

 

“Is he the b—“

 

“Yes, it’s him, my best friend.” Henry stressed it out before Kyuhyun blabbered off in front of Eunhyuk and maybe even to the whole wide world.

 

“Goodie. Let’s meet him together shall we?” Kyuhyun energetically stood up and laid his arm on Henry’s shoulders heavily before forcefully dragging him out of the room. Eunhyuk only wondered what Kyuhyun was up to now.

 

“Zhoumi? What are you doing here?” Henry asked, trying to look as normal as he could, pretending he didn’t have a devil sticking to his side like a Siamese twin.

 

“My meeting was canceled and who is this?” What was the man doing to Henry? He was literally glued to his side.

 

“He is the director of the company, Cho Kyuhyun. And he is Zhoumi.” Henry made the introductions. Neither made an attempt to bow. He expected it from Kyuhyun but not from Zhoumi, who always minded his mannerism.

 

“So you are Zhoumi-shi. Finally I am able to meet you. Henry always talks about you to me.” Kyuhyun sprouted the nonsense with a silky smile.

 

“I was not aware Henry was that close to you, Kyuhyun-shi. The way he described it, I thought you were just an esteemed director.” Zhoumi absolutely hated this man. He seemed so arrogant and what the hell was he thinking, holding Henry so freely? And why was Henry just standing quietly?

 

“I am sure Henry was being very modest about our relationship. He was taking in my position in consideration.” Kyuhyun looked tenderly at Henry. Henry got goose bumps all over. Wait a minute. Relationship? What relationship? Kyuhyun squeezed Henry’s arm to silence him.

 

“Henry, have you had your lunch? My treat.” Zhoumi pointedly ignored Kyuhyun’s reply. He didn’t even want to consider the truth of Kyuhyun’s statement. Henry was not the type to fall for arrogant punks like him.

 

“Did Henry say anything to you about our play? Our opening night is next week. I can give you two tickets but it’s understandable if you can’t make it.” Kyuhyun smoothly dangled the bait.

 

“We will be there. Henry, come on, I only have another one hour free.” Zhoumi coldly stared at Kyuhyun and pursed his lips in dissatisfaction when Kyuhyun leaned down to whisper something to Henry.

 

“I have started the ball rolling. Let’s enjoy the game shall we?” Kyuhyun’s words didn’t help Henry one bit.

 

“Games? What games?” Henry whispered back while looking over at Zhoumi, whom seemed really mad.

 

“You are so simple at times, Henry. Let’s just say that for once, I want the idiot guy, which will be you in this scenario, to have a happy ending with our straight laced guy. And I too derive pleasure in making guys like that fall of the wagon. Guys like him used to make me angry in high school.” Kyuhyun laughed loudly before kissing Henry’s forehead and sauntering off.

 

“Are we ready to go?” Zhoumi barked out before walking ahead of Henry.

 

“Devil’s lair, remember?” Eunhyuk commented sympathetically. Poor boy.

 

Wishing everybody a very happy new year!!!! And remember, the speed of my update relies on your comments! He he he...XD