Chapter 4

Morning Sunshine

They stared at each other in silence as the night mist covered them. The shaft of light from the neighbor’s home was switched off then, leaving them in semi darkness. This sudden devastating revelation threatened to split Zhoumi’s familiar world while Henry had to face the feared nightmare he fought so hard against.

 

“I..I didn’t know..I’m really sorry…” Tears blurred Zhoumi’s vision. It was all so sudden and confusing. Henry loved him? He regarded at Henry as if he was a stranger. He himself felt like a stranger in his own body now.

 

“I spoiled our relationship, Zhoumi. I am sorry for that.” Henry couldn’t bring up the smile he wanted to show, to make this moment less awkward and painful.

 

“You didn’t spoil it alright! It’s not like you purposely fell for me. I know you, Henry.” Henry couldn’t take it when Zhoumi tried to cheer him up even now.

 

“W-when? Since when have you l-liked me this way?” Why was he even asking? He should leave, yes, he should. But his body had other ideas. They didn’t budge.

 

“It was at the day in the restaurant. I took the bus remember?” Henry was in a state of deep numbness that it felt like he was talking to a stranger. Maybe he could endure this embarrassment and rejection well after all.

 

Zhoumi let out a strained laughter, lacking anything better to say. How exactly was a person supposed to react during this kind of situation?

 

“You don’t have to say anything. First love never lasts right?” Damn! He felt a tear trickling down his cheek. Not now, he could cry his heart out later. Please, just not now, he willed him self, swallowing hard.

 

Zhoumi walked closer to the grill of the gates and placed his hand on Henry’s which held the bars of the gate.

 

“I am sorry, Henry.” He whispered slowly. Henry nodded hard, to convey he understood it very much while staring at Zhoumi’s hands, letting his tears to fall free. This was too difficult. His lungs tightened, blocking his air flow. So this is how a heart break really feels, he thought then.

 

“I better leave.” Zhoumi slowly moved his hands away and walked off. He heard Henry’s sobs, but consoling him now would only make it worse.

 

It was nearing 2 a.m when Zhoumi was looking at all their pictures together and reflecting. If Hana was not there, would things have turned out different? He slowly traced their images with his index finger. Could he have loved Henry as a romantic partner? His finger stopped on Henry’s face. He didn’t have an answer to that.

 

He heard a knock before his mother peeked in.

‘What is it, ma? Did something happen?” He immediately went to her side as he saw her crying face.

 

“He-Henry…” Zhoumi couldn’t hear her properly. She was crying too much. “What? What happened to Henry?” Panic started like a forest fire.

 

“Henry’s father just died because of a heart attack. He just called.”

 

 

 

If anyone asked Henry what was his biggest problem 72 hours ago, he would have most assuredly answered his recent heartbreak. But now, he had a new winner on that one. He was an orphan with no one to be called family. He would have no one to wait up for him at home. Or to scold him senseless because of something real simple. An orphan. After his mother’s death 11 years ago, it has always been his father and him. They may not have an ideal relationship as father and son, but they were close.

 

Henry sat on the church pew as he chose to remain behind just for a few minutes after the funeral. He had to thank Zhoumi and his family he guessed for unhesitatingly offering help and taking charge of the situation. His debts with them keep racking up he thought humorlessly. Well, he would worry about it another day. Today, he will mourn for his father.

 

Zhoumi stood at the entrance and observed Henry’s slumped shoulders. Henry didn’t deserve to go through this. Unable to just stand quietly aside any longer, Zhoumi went over to Henry.

 

Henry looked up as Zhoumi sat next to him. Zhoumi hesitated for a moment before clasping hands with Henry. Henry continued to look at Zhoumi.

 

“Just for today.” He said and looked back in front, gripping Henry’s fingers tighter. They both sat there for a long time, still holding hands as Henry grieved for his father.

 

Henry sat on the bed and scanned his surroundings. His new home. After much argument from his side, which he lost to Zhoumi’s family, he was now a free loader in their house. They never said that, obviously because to them, he was like another member of the family but that was how Henry felt. He never wanted to burden anyone but then again, here he was. His friend Taemin actually was searching for a housemate but Zhoumi’s mother almost had epilepsy just by listening to his suggestion. Something about they were not going to abandon him and what not. If only she listened, Henry would have gladly stayed with Taemin and avoided so many complications.

 

“You doing good there?” Zhoumi asked, standing at the door way. Here was the main reason for his complication. The awkwardness has returned but it no longer was the anchor which leads Henry’s life. He had other bigger problems to focus on. Like losing a father.

 

“Yes.” A single syllable reply to his best friend of 14 years.

 

“Can I?” Zhoumi asked but entered before Henry gave his permission anyway. Some things never changed.

 

Zhoumi climbed to the bed and sat facing Henry. Henry’s face was swollen after deep bouts of crying. That was to be expected. He wanted to be there for Henry now but their last conversation brought an invisible phantom between them. He was not going to let it stop him though. They were Henry’s family now. Family stuck together even if they were not bonded by blood or genetics.

 

“I really appreciate whatever you and the family did for me and dad. If it was not for all of you, I would have been lost and alone.” Henry decided to never again bring the topic of his love for Zhoumi. It was time to let go and straighten him self out. His graduation was a month away and then he will have to occupy himself with job hunting. Plus, he didn’t want to lose Zhoumi now since the worse is over. His one last long standing relationship.

 

“Uncle and you would have done the same to me, Henry, were I in your position. So your graduation is next week huh? You can throw away your books finally.” Zhoumi tried to joke. It has been so long since he last saw Henry smile.

 

“I would probably burn them. You can help me, of course.” There, a small smile.

 

“Of course.” It would have been normal for Zhoumi to ruffle Henry’s hair now but that was before the confession. Now, they were too conscious with each other. How long will it take for them to lose this formality?

 

“I am going to continue working in the restaurant until graduation probably. At least I wouldn’t rot in depression then.” Hopefully it was enough time for Henry to let go of this unfruitful love.

 

 

Henry waited for his turn as the line gradually decreased. He has been waiting for the past, he looked at his watch, 3 hours and 18 minutes. It was a job interview as a junior assistant for one of the high rising musical production. Word was the director of this production was temperamental as they get but excellent as they come. It didn’t really matter whether he got the job or not since this was his first interview. He could use this as his experience any ways. He looked at his phone and saw Zhoumi’s message. He had been texting him every half an hour to ask about the up dates. Seriously, didn’t he have better work to do? Speaking about Zhoumi, things were better between them. The awkward phase has progressed into we-are-alright-like –this phase. Henry was almost already immune towards it but there were moments where he forgot himself of course and then he would berate himself later for his carelessness. Letting go Zhoumi, as Henry was coming to learn, was an impossible task. Especially since they lived together.

 

“Henry Lau.” A tall elite looking woman announced his name. Oh oh, his palms started sweating then. Remember Henry, you are here just for the experience.

 

“Good afternoon. I’m Henry Lau and I just graduated from Kyung Hee University.” Henry introduced himself as he bowed. There were four people sitting and looking at him. He couldn’t figure out who was the director. There was one absolutely gorgeous looking lady, one dude who had blond hair and smiled welcomingly (Henry liked him immediately), the second man looked like a prince charming, and the last looked like the devil’s assistant. He would most probably be the director, Henry was willing to bet.

 

“Alright Henry Lau, will this be your first interview?” The angel with the beautiful voice spoke.

 

“Yes, I..” He was interrupted by Mr. Devil’s assistant.

 


“I’m hungry Bom and let’s not waste more time. I would take it from here. Tell me what you can do.” His intense eyes were sharp and impatient. The blond dude was controlling his laughter.

 

“Wh-what I can do? I play the violin, piano and…”Again he was interrupted.

 

“Boy, we are not looking for a musician. You do know what you are applying for right?” Henry almost wanted to curse and walk away.

 

“I can take orders well, at least reasonable ones and I don’t complain about the hours.” He shrugged. He knew that was a no-no in interviews, but it was not like he was going to be hired.

 

“You can take orders now, do you? Reasonable ones?” He snickered. “Hmm…Better than all those fops who have been trying to impress us from morning with their incessant chatter. Fine, you are hired. We start at seven tomorrow but since you are the junior assistant, you are required to be here at 6-30.” He stood up, collecting his files.

 

“Excuse me, I’m sorry but I’m hired?” Henry couldn’t believe his ears. Was this man trying to pull his leg?

 

“What? Are you deaf? It was not stated in your resume that you were.” He started flipping at Henry’s file.

 

“No, I am not. My hearing is fine but I have trouble believing that you hired me.” The other three people were openly laughing at him.

 

“Don’t be too happy. I am hungry and I refuse to see more useless ones. And since you take reasonable orders.” He mocked Henry once again.

 

Have you heard the hush-hush name for the company?” He asked theatrically as he strode, reaching Henry. Yes, Henry was sure, he was definitely working with the devil. This person had such intense and provoking aura.

 

“N-No.”

 

“They call it the devil’s lair. Once you are trapped, you will always be trapped.” He smirked and walked away.

 

“Don’t mind his mumbo jumbo. I’m Eunhyuk, the dance instructor.” The blond dude extended his hand.

 

“I am Donghae, in charge of the art.” Prince charming was a little more reserved.

 

“And I am Bom, the vocal instructor. Nice to meet you. We are sorely in need of an assistant. Kyuhyun is running us ragged around.” The angel smiled, once again mesmerizing Henry.

 

“Kyuhyun?” Was that the director’s name? Henry wondered.

 

“Yes, the man whom roasted you earlier.” Eunhyuk laid a friendly arm on Henry’s shoulders.

 

“Is he always like this?” It was hard to be cautious with this friendly bunch. They didn’t feel like his superiors at all.

 

“Today is one of his nicer days.” Bom said, still smiling.

 

Devil’s lair. Dear god, what did he step into? Henry was so going to kill Amber and Taemin for asking him to come here. Once again, Zhoumi messaged. Henry decided to call him instead.

 

“I got it!” Henry said, but couldn’t really find the right spirit. Devil’s lair, come on.

 

“You got it? Congratulations! So I believe we have a celebration in order?” Zhoumi smiled over the phone. Zhoumi was really happy in behalf of Henry. He needed this break after all the crap he was forced to face.

 

“Ok then, will see you later.” Zhoumi disconnected his phone. His manager smiled.

 

“Your girl friend, sir? You looked really happy when you spoke to her.” The manager commented.

 

“No, it’s Henry, my best friend. He passed the interview.” Zhoumi corrected him as he focused on his computer. Girlfriend? When was the last time he went out on date with Hana? Zhoumi tried hard to remember. Last week? Now days, they just called each other at the end of the day and messaged occasionally since she too has started working in an art museum and he was busy helping his father out. A wave of guilt settled on Zhoumi as he remembered that he always made sure he spent time with Henry no matter how busy or late he was. Why didn’t he show the same consideration to Hana?

 

As New Year is approaching, i'm actually thinking about my resolutions. I didn't have one for 2011 but i intend to have one for 2012. Haven't decided on what yet though. While i was thinking along the path, i realized i have a few very loyal readers whom have read most of my stories and always gave me their unwavering support!

dr_elf15, dredhezrei. anonimatus, MissSimpleSJ, and LeeTacyeon a very special thanks!

To the new readers, thank you for giving me your support too! We may just be acquainted, but it makes a difference to me!