8

The Butterfly Effect

October 16, 2009

Yoongi doesn’t show up to school today.  We find out later that it was because his mother passed away.  This may be too much to ask, but please go to his mother’s funeral after school ends.  It will be held at Insaeng Funeral Hall.

 

<:>

 

            “Yeo~reum-ah.”

            “Huh?” Yeoreum blinked.

            “Somehow, I feel good today.” Minji smiled.  “Maybe it’s because Min Yoongi isn’t here.”

            “Hm.  Hey, are there any old yearbooks in the library?”

            “What’s what that, all of a sudden?” Minji asked.  “But yeah, I think they do.  Why?  Looking for someone?”

            “Yeah,” Yeoreum replied.  “Wanna come along?”

            “Sure!” Minji exclaimed.

            As soon as the lunch bell rang, Yeoreum and Minji made their way over to the school library.

            “Who are you looking for?” Minji asked.

            “Someone…” Yeoreum trailed off.  “Ah, let’s look in this one.” She pulled out the 2008 yearbook with a smile.  The two flipped through the pages, giggling at their old pictures.  

            “Hey, let’s look for Mr. Kim!”

            “He’s a new teacher this year, remember?” Yeoreum smiled.  “His picture wouldn’t be in last year’s yearbook.”

            “Ah, you’re right.”

            Yeoreum scanned each page filled with student pictures, frowning as she reached the end of the yearbook.  “Huh, that’s weird.”

            “Why?  Couldn’t find it?”

            Yeoreum shook her head.

            “What’s the name?”

            “Kim Namjoon.  I couldn’t find that name in any of the student pages.”

            “Really?” Minji frowned.  “Let me look.”

            The two flipped through the book again and again, but there was no sign of the name Kim Namjoon anywhere in the book.  Why?  If this Namjoon guy isn’t a student at this high school in this universe, then I wonder what he’s doing?

            “Why are you so obsessed with this Namjoon guy anyway?” Minji asked.  “Is he a guy you know?”

            “No, it’s not that,” Yeoreum replied.  “It’s nothing.  Shall we go back to class?”

            “Sure.” Minji smiled.  “Did you want to get ice cream after school?”

            Yeoreum shook her head.  “Sorry, I have something planned.  How about tomorrow?  It’s the weekend, so I should be free.”

            “Sure.  It’s a plan!”

 

<:>

 

            Yeoreum bit her lip as she stood in front of the funeral hall.  Really, what am I doing here?  I have no right or business to be standing here.  What if he gets mad at me?  He’ll probably wonder how I found out...what do I say then?  What if his mom didn’t even pass away?  The letter could be completely wrong…still, it wouldn’t hurt to check.  She cringed, but she entered the funeral hall anyway.

            “Um…” she said, walking up to the front desk.  “I was wondering if a funeral for the Min family is being held here?”

            The girl behind the desk nodded.  “Second floor.”

            “Thank you.” Yeoreum bowed.  So the letter is still accurate…  Stepping into the elevator, she pressed the button and waited for the doors to open on the second floor.  When she exited, she walked past rooms filled with mourning families.  Stopping outside of the one labelled “MIN”, she bit her lip as she stared at the wreath displayed in front of the door.  As Yeoreum was about to walk in, she was surprised to see Yoongi walking out, wearing a black suit.  His eyes widened as he registered her presence.

            “What are you, a stalker?” he growled.

            “I…” Yeoreum trailed off.  I really don’t have a good excuse.

            “I told her.” A voice behind Yeoreum surprised her.

            “Mr. Kim?” Yoongi said.

            Yeoreum turned around, surprised to see her homeroom teacher standing there.  

            “Well, let’s go in, shall we?” Mr. Kim said with a small smile.

            Yeoreum and Mr. Kim signed the guest book, and as she was reaching for an envelope to place condolence money in, someone took the envelope out of her hand.

            “We don’t need your money.” Yoongi’s voice was cold but gentle.

            “But--”

            “The president of Shinhwa Company is paying for the funeral, so you don’t have to give any money.”

            “Still--” she protested.

            “If he insists, then it’s fine,” Mr. Kim said.

            They entered the funeral room and removed their shoes.  Yeoreum noted that the room was mostly empty, save for Yoongi’s mother’s photo in a frame, surrounded by white chrysanthemum flowers and candles.  Yeoreum and Mr. Kim did two and a half big bows to the shrine before bowing toward Yoongi, who awkwardly reciprocated the bow.  They then moved into another room for a meal.  Yeoreum noted that no one else had showed up, and she silently thanked the letter for encouraging her to go to the funeral.

            Their meal consisted of fruit, soup, rice, and rice cakes.  When the server placed soju in front of the three, Yeoreum looked up nervously at the other two.

            “If you think I’m going to stop you from drinking, I’m not,” Mr. Kim said.  “We’re out of school.”

            Yoongi grabbed his drink, downing it in one gulp.  Yeoreum took hers nervously, trying to convince herself that it wouldn’t taste as bad as she remembered, and was about to put the glass up to her lips before feeling it being removed from her hands.  Yoongi downed her shot in one gulp too.

            “I...thank you.” She bowed sheepishly.

            “Don’t accept drinks if you can’t drink.  And don’t drink if you can’t drink.”

            “I...just thought it would be respectful.”

            Yoongi scoffed.  “At least you aren’t apologizing today.”

            Yeoreum ate quietly, staring at both Mr. Kim and Yoongi.  Speaking of Mr. Kim, how did he know--

            “Mr. Kim, how did you find out about the funeral?” Yoongi asked.

            “I’m your teacher.” Mr. Kim smiled.

            “I don’t think I told anyone, though…”

            “What kind of teacher doesn’t know his students?” Mr. Kim asked.  “This was the least I could do for you.”  His eyes softened.  “Yoongi-yah...it’s been hard, hasn’t it?”

            Whether it was the feelings he had held back for so long, or whether it was the alcohol, or some combination of both, something in Yoongi broke.  Tears running down his face, he didn’t fight when he felt a pair of arms wrap around him.

            “There there,” Mr. Kim said quietly, patting Yoongi’s head.  “I’m proud of you.  You’ve been strong for so long.”

            Yeoreum felt something in her heart break, seeing Yoongi in so much pain.

“Everything will be okay.  I promise,” Mr. Kim continued.

            “W-When?” Yoongi sniffled.  “S-She was all I h-had.  S-She was flawed...b-but we still loved e-each other.”

            “Someday,” Mr. Kim replied.  “I swear, it might hurt now, but someday, it won’t hurt nearly as bad.”

            “R-Really?”

            “Really.”

 


A/N: Sorry for being so MIA! Updates are supposed to happen every Monday and Thursday, but uni just started up again (plane ride last week Thursday, started school on Monday, and things are finally starting to settle). So yay for updates!