15

The Butterfly Effect

December 25, 2009

 

            Yoongi stared at his reflection in the mirror, adjusting his suit collar and combing his hair neatly.  He absolutely detested the suit, but he knew that his father would hate him more if he showed up to the yearly family party in a t-shirt and jeans.

            He never understood why his father suddenly decided to invite him to this year’s party, when he hadn’t even heard from his father in years.  Yoongi didn’t really want to go, and he was sure that his father didn’t really want him there anyway.  However, catching a glimpse of his mother’s photo displayed on his desk, Yoongi had a feeling that he knew why he was invited.

            The sound of his phone vibrating brought him out of his thoughts.

 

     Merry Christmas, Yoongi!  If you’re free today, did you want to spend some time together? -Yeoreum

 

            He smiled.

 

     I have a family party that will last the entire day.  Why? -Yoongi

 

     I had something I wanted to give to you…but if you’re busy, I can wait! -Yeoreum

 

     If you’re free, you can bring it over now. -Yoongi

 

            As soon as he pressed the “send” button, he threw his phone across the room, feeling his face burn.  He cleared his throat and closed his eyes, trying to calm down his beating heart.  He heard his phone buzz, and when he worked up the courage to check his messages, he smiled.

 

     Okay!  I’ll see you soon! -Yeoreum

 

            Ever since the letter incident a few weeks ago, Yoongi noticed that Yeoreum rarely left his side.  It was like she was almost...watching over him.  They’d walk to school together, eat lunch together, and even walk home together.  Yeoreum would hang out at his apartment until she’d have to leave for cram school, and if she didn’t have cram school, she would hang out until the sun began to set.  As soon as it became dark, Yoongi would insist that she go home, though they both wished otherwise.  Yoongi was sure that Yeoreum’s mother hated him for taking her daughter away from studying, but as long as Yeoreum didn’t mind, he tried not to mind either.  He would’ve just been alone in his apartment otherwise.

            Pacing around in his apartment, he almost jumped when he heard the doorbell ring.  Yoongi grabbed the doorknob, smiling as soon as he made eye contact with Yeoreum.

            “Y-Yoongi!” she smiled, turning red.  “You look nice.”

            “Ah…” he trailed off.  “It’s my father’s annual formal Christmas party, so...yeah.  Come in.”

            She shook her head.  “It’s okay!  You’re leaving for the party soon, right?”

            “Yeah.”

            “I just wanted to give you this.” She held up a small bag.  “It’s cookies.  Um...I made it.  And I’m sorry in advance if they don’t taste good.  It was my first time baking.  I studied the recipe hard, but actually baking them was a different story.”

            He laughed, taking the bag from her hands.  “Thank you, Yeoreum.  I’m sure that they taste just fine.  And I’m really sorry that I didn’t get you anything--”

            She brightened up.  “It’s fine!  Just...keep breathing, okay?  That’s good enough of a present for me.”

            Yoongi smiled.  “Weirdo.”

            Yeoreum smiled.  “Well...I’ll text you later, then.”  She darted in for a hug, surprising Yoongi, though he didn’t complain.  “Good luck at the party.”

            He wrapped his arms around her.  “Thanks.  I think I’ll really need it.”  He smiled, waving as she made her way to the stairs, and he watched her until she disappeared.  Shutting the door behind him, Yoongi sighed, placing the cookies on his counter and checking his watch.  It’s okay, Yoongi.  You only have to live through six, seven hours with them, and then you’ll be free for another year.

 

<:>

 

            Walking into his father’s mansion, Yoongi tried to absorb everything, though there was way too much to absorb.  It seemed like his father spared no expense to create a lavish Christmas party, similar to the kind one would see in the movies.  

            Yoongi saw his father first from across the room and immediately wanted to leave.  He was exactly as Yoongi remembered him: arrogant and cold.  Turning around, Yoongi regretted coming, wishing that he could be at home with Yeoreum instead.

            “And who are you, young man?”

            Yoongi cringed, taking a deep breath before facing his father.

            “Perhaps, you are the server?  If you are, then would you take my glass?” His father laughed, and Yoongi felt ill.

            “Yeah, let me take it,” he managed to choke out.

            “Ah, relax, Yoongi.  I knew it was you as soon as you walked into the room.  Who wouldn’t?  You have your mother’s eyes.”

            He forced a smile onto his face.  “Hello, Father.”

            “How is your mother, by the way?”

            Yoongi paused.  “Excuse me?”

            “I was just curious to know how she’s holding up, and I wanted to ask her if you two wanted to move back in with me.  I almost regret letting you two leave back then.  Think about it, we could have been a happy family.  Well, as happy as a mistress and a love child can be, right?” He laughed, elbowing Yoongi in the ribs.

            “You...think she’s still alive?”

            “Why, has something happened to her?”

            He gaped.  Various emotions hit his chest all at once, and he felt as though all of the air was being squeezed out of his lungs.

            “Yoongi, is something the matter?”

            “You...my mother is dead.  You paid for her funeral.”

            “Did I?  Hm, well, you know that company presidents pay for a lot of things, right, Yoongi?  I must’ve forgotten.” His father paused.  “Aw, come on, don’t be that way.  It’s a Christmas party.”

            “My mother was right to walk away from trash like you,” Yoongi spat out.

            “Now now,” his father replied, draping his arm over Yoongi’s shoulder.  “Walk with me, Yoongi.”

            He let his father drag him further into the mansion.  

            “I’ve been having some guys keep tabs on you, and you’ve been hanging out with a girl named Han Yeoreum, right?”

            Yoongi stiffened.

            “I’m right!  Of course I am.  Anyway, I was thinking, why don’t you invite her over for dinner some time?  As your father, I’d like to get more involved in your life.”

            “Stop.”

            ”I see she’s going to Yonsei University on a full-ride scholarship.  She seems like a really nice girl.  You really know how to pick women, don’t you, Yoongi?”

            “Stop,” he repeated.

            “You must get that from me.”

            “Stop.” Yoongi felt like he wanted to cry.

            “You should get married to her before she finds a better guy--”

            Yoongi replied, “Take your hand off of me.”

            “Fine.” His father dropped his hand.  “Yoongi, why are you making this hard?  I know that I want to reconcile with you, make up for the years I couldn’t buy you nice things--”

            “I don’t need your nice things.”

            “Ah, you sound just like your mother.” His father sighed.  “She never wanted to take advantage of my wealth either.”

            Yoongi turned around.  “I’m leaving--”

            “I want to help you, Yoongi.  Tell you what, if I talk to Yonsei University, they might let you in.  Then, you and your girlfriend can go to university together.”

            “I don’t want your help.”  Yoongi began to walk away, taking deep breaths.

            “You’re crazy, just like your mother!” His father called out.  “If she hadn’t left me because of you, she never would’ve had to worry about money in her life!  And then, maybe she wouldn’t have killed herself!”  

            Yoongi paused.

            “It’s all your fault!”

            Yoongi ran through the door and didn’t look back.

 

<:>

 

            In the serenity of his own apartment, Yoongi took a small bite of one of Yeoreum’s cookies.  His eyes watered, and he began to stuff his face with them, until he had reached the bottom of the container.  Finally, he thought, I can breathe again.