5

The Butterfly Effect

October 10, 2009

Tonight, Yoongi will attempt to end his life for the first time.  He’ll use pills he buys from the pharmacy near the high school, which he purchases at 8:00.  His next-door neighbor will find him and call 119, and they are able to save him.  However, I believe that Yoongi can be stopped.  Please, keep him company so that he is safe.

 

<:>

 

            “Yeoreum, are you ready for cram school?” Mrs. Han poked her head into Yeoreum’s room.

            Yeoreum quickly placed the letter in her desk.  “Yeah.”

            “Okay, grab your bag.  I’ll drop you off today.”

            “It’s Saturday.  You have work, right?  I can walk--”

            “Don’t worry too much, Yeoreum.”

            “Okay.”

            On their way to her cram school, Yeoreum mulled over the contents of the letter.  Is it okay if I don’t follow the letter?  But it’s been true so far…  She checked her watch, which read 4:00p.m.  It’s already this time...it should be okay, right?

            “Yeoreum?”

            But what if he really does try to do something?  He may be unfriendly, but he definitely doesn’t deserve to be alone.  Maybe I can check up on him after cram school?  But I don’t know where he lives, and it’ll be dark by then...

            “Han Yeoreum.”

            She immediately looked up, surprised to see that they had already made it to cram school.  “Sorry.  I’ll be getting out now.”

            “I’ll pick you up at 10:00.”

            “Okay.” Yeoreum grabbed her backpack and opened the car door.  “I’ll see you then.”

            “Study hard!”

            “I will.”

            Yeoreum tried to shake out thoughts of Yoongi as she entered the cram school.  Yet, as different teachers lectured, she couldn’t help but focus her attention on the clock, noting how the hands slowly inched their way closer to 8:00.

            He did tell me to stay out of his business.  But if the letter is true…

            She raised her hand.

            “Yes?” the teacher looked up from his notes.

            “Sir, I’m not feeling well.” Yeoreum coughed.  “I feel nauseous.”

            “What’s your name?”

            “Han Yeoreum.”

            “All right.  You’re excused, but I’ll mark it down.  Call your parents and wait outside for them to pick you up.”

            Yeoreum bowed, placing all of her books into her backpack and closing the classroom door quietly behind her.  Checking her watch, she noted that it was 7:45.  She made sure that she had exited the building before breaking out into a run.  What am I doing?  All for a boy who probably hates me?  And how am I going to explain everything to Mom?

            Luckily, her cram school was close to her high school, which meant that it was decently close to the pharmacy as well.  She stopped right in front of the entrance, bending over and resting her hands on her knees, attempting to catch her breath.  It was 7:59, and there was no sign of Yoongi.

            “What was I even thinking,” she mumbled as her watch turned to 8:00, 8:05, and finally 8:10.  “Well, I might as well buy some medicine to make my story more believable.”  She stood up and walked into the pharmacy, and began to browse through the cough medications.

            “Welcome,” the pharmacist said.

            Yeoreum looked up and felt her heartbeat increase.  It’s him.  He’s here.  She shifted her attention back to the cough medicines, keeping her eyes glued to the shelving as he passed by.  He didn’t seem to recognize me.  He grabbed something and walked up to the counter, paying and walking out.  She grabbed a small bottle of cough syrup, paid, and ran out after him.

            Which way?  She walked down one street, and, catching a glimpse of his white t-shirt, followed.  Yeoreum kept her distance and took careful steps, surprised when Yoongi whirled around to face her.

            “Why the hell are you following me?” he snarled.

            “I…” -thought you were going to end your life today, and I wanted to make sure that you didn’t do that.  That sounds crazy.

            “Leave.  This place is dangerous at night.  Girls like you shouldn’t be out at this time.” He turned around.

            “Wait!” Yeoreum exclaimed.  She took a few steps but ended up tripping over something on the ground.  Yoongi kept walking, eventually disappearing into the night, and Yeoreum sighed.  “Ow…” she brought her hand down to her knee and felt something damp, which she assumed was blood.  How am I going to explain this to Mom?

            “Are you okay?” someone called out.

            Yeoreum struggled to her feet and turned around.  Two older guys who seemed to be in their twenties stood there, smiling, and it made her feel horribly uneasy.

            “I think I cut my knee,” she admitted.

            “Oh no, would you like some help?” the other asked.  “You’re so young...what are you doing in this part of town this late?”

            “Thanks, but I’m fine.”

            “Let oppa help you.”

            “T-Thanks,” she laughed nervously, “but I’m really fine.  I’ll be g-going now--”

            One grabbed Yeoreum’s arm.  “Come with oppa while I’m asking nicely.”

            She could feel her eyes watering in fear, but she was determined not to cry.  “No.”

            “Didn’t you hear us?” the other one grabbed her ponytail and pulled it.

            Yeoreum struggled to break free, but she knew that the two guys were easily stronger than she was.  Please, someone save me.  

            All of a sudden, the one holding on to her arm was gone.  Her eyes widened when she recognized Yoongi.  He punched one square in the jaw and kicked the other in the gut, and Yeoreum could only stand in both fear and relief as Yoongi fought.

            Seeing blood, she finally managed to mutter, “Stop.”

            But he didn’t.

            “S-Stop,” she said, louder.

            Getting in one last kick, Yoongi finally turned to glare at Yeoreum, who flinched.  “What did I say?”

            “I-I’m sorry--”

            “I told you to stop apologizing.”

            “I--”

            “Let’s go.”

            “Eh?  Where?”

            “Back to the pharmacy,” he said, looking down at her knee.

            “I...okay.  I’m sorry.  And thank you.”

            He began to walk, and Yeoreum limped after him, struggling to keep up.  Sighing, he walked back toward her and crouched down.

            “Get on.”

            “I-Is it okay?”

            “Before I change my mind,” he growled.

            So she got onto Yoongi’s back, and he stood up, gently holding onto her legs.  She rested her head on his shoulder.  The two didn’t speak as they made their way back to the pharmacy.  While Yoongi went in, Yeoreum sat down on the step, ashamed and exhausted.

            “Here.” He returned, throwing her a box of bandages and a container of ointment.

            “Money…” she trailed off.

            “Forget it.  Now we’re even.  Don’t hang around this area anymore.”

            She nodded.  “Thank you.”

            He didn’t say anything, turning around and beginning his slow return home.  Realizing belatedly that his knuckles hurt, he slowly opened and closed his fingers, sighing.  I should have taken off my ring.

            “Um...Yoongi?”

            He stopped in his tracks but didn’t look back.

            “Are you okay?  Your hand--”

            He scoffed.  Am I okay?  She’s the hurt one, and she’s asking if I’m okay?

            “I’ll see you at school on Monday, okay?”

            He sighed.

            “I heard that there’s going to be spicy rice cakes in the cafeteria on Monday, so you have to come!”

            He rolled his eyes, disappearing into the darkness once again.

 

<:>

 

            Yoongi came home to an empty house.  Walking through the door, he threw his mother’s painkillers on the kitchen table, flipping on the lights as he did so.  Pausing in front of the container of pills, he sighed.  Shaking his head, he made his way into his room, collapsing on his bed.

            Monday, huh?

            And for the first time in a while, he realized something: he was warm.