16

The Butterfly Effect

December 26, 2009

 

            It really is your fault.

            Maybe, if Mom hadn’t left Dad, she would’ve been happy.

            It hurts.

            Mom, why did you have to do it?

            He ignored his phone buzzing, turning over in his bed and closing his eyes.

 

<:>

 

December 27, 2009

 

            He forced himself to read his mother’s goodbye letter again.

 

Yoongi,

     I lied.  I did it on purpose.  When I texted you earlier, I did it knowing that you wouldn’t respond.  I’m just tired.  I know I’m a horrible mother.  I know that you probably hate me for never being around and for always making us move from place to place.  I know I’m selfish.  In our next lives, find a better mother than me.

I’m sorry.  You were always the best thing that happened to me.  I’m sorry that I’m leaving this early.  It’ll be hard, but you’ll be better off without me.

 

Love,

Mom

 

            There were tear stains on the paper where there hadn’t been any before.  It took Yoongi a few moments to realize that those were his own.

 

<:>

 

December 28, 2009

 

            Yoongi needed the pills to sleep, yet he was scared to take them.  When he closed his eyes, he only dreamt of his mother.  He wanted to apologize to her.

 

<:>

 

December 29, 2009

 

            Yoongi cleaned his apartment.  As he packed things into boxes, his eyes landed on the bag Yeoreum had given him at Christmas.  A sad smile spreading over his face, he searched for his mother’s old stationary, grabbed a pen, and began to write.

 

<:>

 

December 30, 2009

 

            Yeoreum bit her lip, nervous.  Yoongi hadn’t responded to her texts, but she didn’t want to seem pushy or clingy.  Pacing back and forth, she lunged for her phone every time it vibrated, only to be disappointed every single time.  Thinking of the letter, she couldn’t shake off the feeling that something was wrong.

            Her phone buzzed again, and her eyes widened when she realized that Yoongi had finally texted back.

 

Hey Yeoreum.  Sorry for worrying you.  My dad’s taking me on a fishing trip until the new year, so I won’t be around.

 

            But I thought he hated his father...maybe they made up over Christmas?  Maybe I’ll ask Mr. Kim just in case...

            “Yeoreum, you need to leave now, or else you’ll be late for school!” Mrs. Han called out.

            Yeoreum’s eyes widened, and she checked her watch.  “Shoot.”  Slinging her backpack over her shoulder, she ran out, passing her mom on her way out.

            “Wait.”

            “Yeah?” Yeoreum paused, refusing to make eye contact with her mother.

            “I’ve been thinking.”

            “About what?”

            “You’re going out with that Yoongi boy, aren’t you?”

            “I…kinda.”

            “Kinda?”

            She blushed.  “Well, neither of us confessed or anything, but it feels like we’re more than friends...look at me rambling.  Ah, how embarrassing--”

            “There’s nothing I can do to change your mind?”

            “No.”

            “Bring him over for dinner sometime.”

            Yeoreum’s eyes widened, and she whirled around.  “Really?”

            “Yeah.” Mrs. Han sighed.  “And I’m sorry.”

            Yeoreum hugged Mrs. Han, a big grin on her face.  “Thank you so much, Mom!”

            “But I still want you to study hard!”

            She nodded.  “Of course, Mom.”

            Yeoreum ran to school in high spirits, even managing a smile at Minji as she ran by, though Minji looked away awkwardly.  

            “Yeoreum!” Mr. Kim called out as she ran through the gates.  “No Yoongi today?”

            She shook her head.  “Apparently, he’s on a fishing trip with his father.”

            “Hm.” Mr. Kim frowned.

            Yeoreum paused.  “Why?”

            “Just...we didn’t get any notification from his father about this.  Are you sure?”

            “He texted me before I left my house...” Her eyes widened.  “It’s almost the 31st.  Do you think…”

            Mr. Kim paused.  “Let’s not jump to conclusions.  The letter isn’t completely reliable anymore.”

            “I have to go--”

            “Perhaps he’s just sick--”

            “He would’ve told me that he was sick.”

            “Yeoreum, trust Yoongi.  There must be a reason why he’s not coming to school, and I’m sure he has his reasons for not telling you.”

            “But--”

            “If it will make you feel better, I’ll call his house and check up on him after school, okay?” Mr. Kim said in a soothing voice.

            “Okay.”

 

<:>

 

            Mr. Kim stood in front of Yoongi’s apartment.  He seemed completely fine on the phone...but just in case.  Taking a deep breath, he knocked and waited, listening to the faint shuffle of footsteps on the other side of the door.  When Yoongi peered out and made eye contact with Mr. Kim, Namjoon smiled.  To the Kim Namjoon in another universe, I’m going to save him this time.

            “Mr. Kim.”

            “Hi, Yoongi.  I know we just talked on the phone, but, uh...can I come in?”

            “Yeah.”  He opened the door wider, allowing for Mr. Kim to walk through the door.

            “So…” Mr. Kim said, staring around the room.  “Your apartment is very organized.”

            Yoongi nodded.  “Yup.  I’ve been doing some cleaning lately.”

            “Ah, I see.”

            “With all do respect, Mr. Kim, why are you here?” Yoongi frowned, sitting down on his couch.

            “Well…” Namjoon paused, opening his bag.  I found a diary that I wrote in another universe, and I’m working alongside one of your classmates in order to prevent you from ending your life.  “I was just in the area, and I thought I would drop off your homework.”

            “Oh.  Thanks.” Yoongi stuck his hand out.

            Mr. Kim hesitated.  “You know, Yoongi, if there’s anything you need to talk about, you can talk with me.”

            “I’m fine, but thanks.”

            “O...kay.” Mr. Kim handed Yoongi the paperwork.  “Um…”

            “Yes?”

            “I don’t know if I should say this…”

            Yoongi shrugged.  “Okay.”

            “Well, Yeoreum has been pretty worried about you, Yoongi.”

            His eyes widened.  “Have I...been worrying her?”

            “Well…”

            “No, you don’t have to tell me.” Yoongi stared at his hands.  “I had a feeling.”

            “Why don’t you just tell her that you’ve been recovering from a cold?” Mr. Kim asked.

            Yoongi replied, “I just don’t want Yeoreum to go out of her way again.  It must be a burden on her.”

            “She’s a very caring girl,” Mr. Kim said thoughtfully.

            “I know.”

            “I think that she really likes you.”

            Something in Yoongi’s gaze shifted ever so slightly, and he gripped the homework papers a little harder.  “I met with my father over Christmas.”

            “Did you?”

            “Yeah.”

            “How was it, if you don’t mind sharing?”

            “Bad.” He scoffed.  “But then again, he really put a lot of things into perspective for me.”

            “Really?”

            “Yup.  After meeting with him, I feel more...at peace.”

            “Well, that’s good then, isn’t it?” Mr. Kim replied with a smile.  “I’m sorry that you didn’t have a good time, but at least it worked out in the end, right?”

            He smiled.  “I feel so light now.  Like I could just float away.”

            Mr. Kim stood up, slinging his bag over his shoulder.  “Feel better, okay?  I guess I’ll--” At that point, he caught a glimpse of a box of clothing and shoes.  “Wow, you were really serious about the cleaning, weren’t you?”

            Yoongi smiled again.  “Yeah.”

            “Well, I’ll see you later, Yoongi.”

            “Goodbye, Mr. Kim.”

            As he shut the door behind Mr. Kim, Yoongi’s smile fell, and he sighed.  You were the most genuine teacher I ever had, and I’m sorry for always burdening you.  You won’t have to worry about me much longer.

 


Hi all, really sorry that I couldn't respond to your comments for Chapter 15. I'm currently in the midst of finals week, so I haven't had much time to spend on AFF haha. I wanted to let you all know that I've read all of the comments and really appreciate all of them so far! I hope you all enjoy this chapter too. Updates will be more frequent because the deadline for the contest I've entered this fic in is coming up soon!

Thank you all again ^_^