6

The Butterfly Effect

October 12, 2009

Yoongi gets into a fight with another student today.  Please make sure that things don’t get physical.

 

<:>

 

            She had noticed that things were starting to deviate from the letter’s narrative.  Before, the letter had predicted everything correctly, down to the day’s weather.  Yeoreum knew that things were changing when the weather written on the page and the weather in the real world began to differ.

            “Wow, who would’ve known that it would rain today?” Minji grumbled, opening her umbrella.  “Good thing this one is big enough for the both of us.”

            “Thanks, Minji-yah.” Yeoreum smiled.  “Sorry.  I didn’t bring mine today.”

            “Aigoo, as long as our Yeoreum is happy, I don’t mind the bad weather at all.” Minji ruffled Yeoreum’s hair before her smile fell.  “Speaking of bad weather…” She gestured toward the other side of the road.

            Yeoreum’s eyes widened as she saw Yoongi across the street, also without an umbrella, completely drenched.  His eyes seemed to be closed, and he was listening to music again.  She tried to hide her smile and her relief, but a grin spread across her face anyway.  

Turning to her best friend, she tried her best puppy-dog eyes.  “Minji-yah…”

            “No.  We are not sharing an umbrella with him.”

            “B-But he barely got over his fever--”

            “What if you get sick, Yeoreum-ah?  You’re his seatmate.  I don’t know why he doesn’t just stay home--”

            “He doesn’t like to go home.”

            “Huh?”

            “I...sorry.  I’m going to go walk with him.”

            “Are you crazy?”

            Yeoreum paused, thinking of the letter.  “Yeah, I just might be.”

            “Here.” Minji held out the umbrella handle toward Yeoreum.  “Take this, then.”

            “Eh?  Then what about you?”

            “We’re almost there anyway.” Minji smiled.  “I’ll just run.  You be careful, okay?  I still don’t think he’s good news.  I’ll see you in class.”

            “Thank you, Minji!” Yeoreum grinned.  “You be careful too!”

            Watching her best friend run ahead with her bag over her head, Yeoreum glanced at Yoongi, who was still on the other side of the street.  Taking a deep breath, she crossed the road at the next crosswalk and ran toward him, catching up with ease.  She held the umbrella over his head.

            He glared at her.  “What are you doing?”

            “It was raining, so…”

            “Dammit, mind your own business,” he growled.

            She continued to walk next to him, holding the umbrella over the both of them.  Due to their height difference, however, she stretched her arm, making sure that the umbrella never touched his head.

            Seeing her struggle trying to hold the umbrella high above his head, Yoongi rolled his eyes and took it from her.

            “Ah...thank you.”

             As they walked through the school gates, people whispered, but Yeoreum didn’t care.  She had made her decision.  She was invested in the letter, and she wouldn’t give up, no matter how difficult Yoongi made it.

 

<:>

 

            “Mr. Kim.” Someone raised their hand.  “Can you talk more about the universe stuff?  We all thought it was really interesting.”

            “If this is a ploy to get you all out of the quiz we’re taking today, it’s not going to work,” Mr. Kim replied, though he was smiling.

            “We’re serious!” someone else exclaimed.  “Just a few minutes.  Please?”

            “Fine.”

            A lot of people cheered.

            “Let’s talk about the butterfly effect today,” Mr. Kim announced, writing the word on the board.  “Does anyone here know what this is?”

            No one raised their hand.

            “Well, it basically means that small changes in the present can have large effects in the future.”

            Yeoreum nodded.  That makes sense.  And that explains why the letter isn’t as accurate as it used to be.

            “Which means that you should all study now, because even a little bit of studying can have great effects in the future.” Mr. Kim grinned.

            “He turned this into a life lesson,” someone sighed.  “As expected of a teacher.”

            “Now let’s get started with the real lesson.  Who’s excited to review the Joseon dynasty today?”

 

<:>

 

            At lunch, Yeoreum was surprised to see a boy from another class walk into the classroom.

            “Oi, Min Yoongi, right?”

            Yeoreum glanced over at her seatmate, who ignored the boy talking to him.

            “Ignoring me?  I’ll just have to tell the entire classroom then.”

            Yeoreum bit her lip.  Is this the fight the letter warned me about?  Or am I just being paranoid?

            “My dad worked for Shinhwa Corporation in Daegu a while back, and he said that he used to work with your mom.”

            Yoongi immediately became stiff, and he slowly removed his headphones.

            “Said something like your mother was the mistress of the company president, which was how she could even manage to get a job there.”

            “Hey, that’s enough,” Yeoreum mumbled, staring at the boy.

            Yoongi almost laughed.  Is she defending me?  Well, everyone’s already spreading rumors about me anyway, so why not reveal it all?

            “And apparently, once the president worked things out with his wife, he fired your mother and left her penniless on the street.  I heard that she became an alcoholic and spends all her money on booze.  I heard that she’s a hooker too.  Is that why you don’t eat lunch?  You can’t afford it?”

            Yoongi clenched his fists, feeling his face get warm.  This bastard really wants to get hit, doesn’t he?

            “You’re going too far.” Yeoreum stood up and grabbed the boy’s arm.  “Please leave Yoongi alone.”

            “What is she, your bodyguard?” The boy laughed.  “Aren’t you a coward, having your seatmate stand up for you?  Why don’t you say something, Min Yoongi?” The boy pushed Yeoreum, who stumbled backward and fell onto the floor.

            “Ow…” she mumbled.

            “Yah!” Minji stood up.  “How dare--”

            Something in Yoongi snapped.  He was up in a flash, and he grabbed the boy’s uniform with his hands.  Through clenched teeth, he managed to say, “Leave.”

            “S-So it’s true, then?” the boy grinned.  “If it wasn’t true, you would’ve denied it by now.  Ow...”

            “Leave while I’m being nice.” Yoongi threw the boy into one of the empty desks before taking his seat.  He stared at Yeoreum, eyes softening, but looked away as soon as Minji ran over.  The boy scrambled out of the classroom, leaving everyone else to whisper amongst themselves.

            “Yeoreum-ah!” Minji cried, helping Yeoreum to her feet.  “Are you okay?  Do you need to go to the infirmary?”

            “I’m fine,” Yeoreum said sheepishly.  The fight still got physical, but nothing bad happened, right?  It should be okay, right?  “Really, Minji.”

            “Next time, don’t interfere,” Minji replied.

            “But--”

            “He’s dangerous,” Minji said, eyeing Yoongi.

            “But--”

            “That’s right,” Yoongi spoke up.  “I’m dangerous, so stay away from me.”

            Yeoreum shook her head.  “I don’t think you are.”

            He scoffed, standing up.  Is she stupid?  Didn’t she just see me throw that kid?  “Really?  You don’t believe me?  Are you trying to test me right now?”

            “I…”

            “This is what I can do.” He punched his desk, the sound reverberating throughout the classroom.  “Aren’t you scared?”

            “Yeoreum-ah,” Minji grabbed her hand.  “Switch places with someone.  Please.  I don’t think it’s safe sitting next to him.”

            “I--”

            “What’s going on in here?” Mr. Kim entered the classroom, and he looked furious.

 

<:>

 

            “So, Yeoreum, what you’re telling me is that you started a fight with a student from another class, and when you fell down, Yoongi came in to protect you?” Mr. Kim finished, one eyebrow raised.

            Yeoreum nodded.  “I know it’s hard to believe, but--”

            “Cut the crap,” Yoongi said.  “There was no protecting.  I just threw him because I felt like it.”

            Yeoreum interrupted, “Well, the other student provoked Yoongi, and I tried to stop him, but it didn’t work out--”

            “Just suspend me already.” Yoongi rolled his eyes.  “I already know that’s what you were planning from the beginning.”

            “I’m not going to suspend you, Yoongi.” Mr. Kim said with a soft smile.  “I believe you and Yeoreum.  Other students have stepped forward, and all of their statements match your side.  The other student has been suspended for the time being.  Now that that’s clear, you two can go back to class now.”

            Yoongi scoffed, stood up, and walked out of the classroom.  Yeoreum began to follow, but suddenly stopped in her tracks.

            “Mr. Kim?” she asked.

            “What is it?”

            Tell him about the letter.  He seems to know a lot about that kind of stuff.  “I...nothing.  Have a nice day.”

            “You too, Yeoreum.”