1-5

Perfect Future

It's been days since the last batch of students have entered the school and all students have come to face their first battle: the first quarter examinations. It's definitely a stressful part of the first quarter since this does not only set the bar for the rest of the school year, but also categorizes their academic and extra-curricular performance by classes - classes that they will be studying in for the whole academic year. Some students rush from classroom to classroom in hopes to find more extra-curricular activities that will boost them up in the first evaluation, while others are left balancing their academics with the pool of activities they've already participated in. However, there are rare cases wherein the student doesn't stress too much, either because of being confident of their abilities and completions or having the lack of will to take care of either areas. For some reason, the school still doesn't end up with a class of complete delinquents.

The seven were seperated by those situations as well: Sunggyu, Myungsoo, and Hoya were scrambling to find any more events and activties they could join (Hoya may or may not have tried pushing himself first before others could sign up); Dongwoo, Sungyeol, and Sungjong were left to having study groups to prepare each other for the upcoming exams; and then there was Woohyun. The smartass wasn't high up the rankings last year for no reason after all, and so he was left in his classroom to nap and and talk to himself whenever it was break time. He was left with Eric, who once in a while looked outside for any new fun activities or was dragged outside by his friends who needed help on certain subjects. He would be dragged out too, but found out it was easier to to go his classroom if ever they needed some help. Every once in a while, they go to relax at the silent place (a place that Sungjong also found to be a great place to practice his favorite dance routines).

What's funny is that, throughout the whole time the seven try meeting up, Sunggyu has yet to meet Woohyun.

The reasons varied from time to time: Sunggyu was with Myungsoo and Hoya to check up on their extra-curricular activities, Woohyun's sleep caused his to forget meeting his friends in the cafeteria, they both had different activties that distracted them, and so on. And awhile the rest of the group were just as distracted and busy, they didn't fail to notice the fact that the two still haven't met. At first, it was a fun inside joke that they'd pop everytime they meet either one of them, but now it was getting frustrating, as if fate wanted to play with the two.

This frustration may or may not have led to a small group meeting to get the two together. Not romantically though, no homo bro.

"Can't we just put the two in the same room?" Sungyeol suggested.

"If we're lucky, that'll will be a really cliche way to meet," said Hoya. 

"Higher chance we aren't, and one of them will find a way to escape before they do meet." Sungjong said with his lips curving into a comical frown.

"Also how sure are we that we can trick Sunggyu hyung to do it?" Myungsoo add, "Woohyun's an easy reel - but hyung?"

"They're both hyungs to you." Dongwoo lightly hit the other's shoulder.

The five continued to brainstrom until Howon and Myungsoo were left by the three for their study groups, and it didn't take long for the two to go on their seperate ways to different activties. A few minutes later, Woohyun and Eric passed by the same place to get to the cafeteria, and so did Sunggyu.

But he accidentally bumped into Kibum who was biting his lips from shouting lots of colorful words. It wasn't anything personal, just a habit.

Nevertheless this led to Sunggyu reaching the area only 5 minutes after the two walked by.

Luck just wasn't on their side.

---

"Any progress so far?"

Believe it or not, the five actually gathered during the weekend in Sungjong's room looking like gossip girls ready to spread the word. Sungjong's mom would've commented on the situation if it was odd, but after a year into it she's just glad her son found some genuinely nice people.

As for Woohyun and Sunggyu, the former went out of town to visit his brother, and the latter had to hold an emergency meeting in one of his clubs. "Am I even shocked?" was what Sungjong said at their absence.

"Woohyun's been hanging out a lot with Eric since you know," Hoya threw a look, "smartasses."

"Sunggyu hyung surprisingly took lots of main roles in the events he joined," said Myungsoo.

"Well at least we know who'll be doing well when club day starts."

"Guys!" Everyone turned to Dongwoo who was showing his phone; Sunggyu was calling him. He then proceeded to answer the call.

"Yes Gyu?" His answer was quickly followed by multiple loud greetings from the others.

"Hey, are you guys still at Sungjong's?"

"Yeah! We're still not done with-" Sungjong quickly covered his mouth before the older continued.

"With what?" Unbeknownst to Sunggyu, the youngest was sending a terrifying glare until his friend finally understood the problem.

"The usual Gyu, our acad and non-acad problems," Dongwoo answered.

"Okay then... Anyway we were able to finish the meeting early so I'll be joining you guys."

"That's great!" Dongwoo mouthed to the others that Sunggyu will be coming over after all.

As if rehearsed, Hoya's phone rang in between the two's conversation. He answered his call as they continued theirs.

"Woohyun?" The other three turned quickly to the new caller, moving their heads side to side quickly to see the opportunity.

"Guess who just got left by their parents cause they were a pain in the to wake up?"

"Well, I'd take any chance to leave your whiny as well-"

"Hey! Comfort me you !" Hoya laughed in response.

"Is this," Sungyeol stood from the bed to do jazz hands, "destiny?"

"All we need to do is have Woohyun visit and boom!" Myungsoo motioned a little explosion, "they finally meet!"

"Why does this feel too simple?" Sungjong pouted. Another idea popped for the youngest. "Howon hyung!" 

Hoya looked at Sungjong with one eyebrow raised, letting his friend on the other side of the line rant to whatever was wrong with the guy's favorite show. "Ask him if he wants to talk to Gyu hyung," he whispered. He then pointed to Dongwoo, who was still talking to Sunggyu. He gave the younger a thumbs up and proceeded to cut Woohyun's petty rant short. Myungsoo caught on to the plan fast, taking care of Dongwoo's side awhile Sungyeol gets distracted with Sungjong's neat notebooks.

 

"Hey Woo, remember the idiot move you did that cost you the new kid?"

"Will you ever stop reminding me?

 

"Gyu! Remember the guy I was talking about that's in our group but still haven't met him?"

"Yeah, I'm calling him for the time being."

 

"D'you wanna talk to him?"
"You wanna talk to him properly?"

 

"He's there?"

"Hello? Gyu? Are you there?"

 

"Yeah! He's also coming over! You should bring your smartass here too!"

"Gyu?"

 

"Alright, I'll go."

"Uh guys..."

 

"Wait!" Howon exclaimed too late, seeing his friend hung up already. "Woohyun dropped the call," he sighed.

"It's fine," Dongwoo sighed along. "Sunggyu didn't even talk after I asked."

Meanwhile at a cafe, there was Sunggyu who gave another customer a curt lesson on proper etiquette after he was bumped into harshly. The workers were at a loss of words to see one of the teenage brats that frequented the cafe actually listening, like they were gangsters and a newbie was being scolded by the higher-ups. Heck, it looked even more like it when two more of the teenage brats stood behind the kid bowed their heads at the lecture.

"Hey! Dongwoo!" He tried calling after his lecture was done, but there was no response. He pouted and ended the call, deciding to head for Sungjong's house. He walked out of the cafe, still blind to the stares given.

Back at Sungjong's, the five were back into the gossip girl circle. They were passing out ideas of how to make this finally work. It luckily took a few minutes and they were able to assign roles and pick out the 'must-happens' later on.

"Guys small setback," Howon said. All four groaned in unison, and only Sungjong asked what it was.

"He's asking to meet up at the 7/11." 

"Can't you just say no?"

"He's paying."

The rest ended up nodding in approval, moving on to changing the plans up a bit.

"Sungjong! Your friend's here!" They heard Mrs. Lee call from downstairs. Sungjong bolted downstairs to get Sunggyu before any misadventures would start.

"Hyung!" He quickly hugged the guest and pulled him as he ran back up.

Step 1: Get Sunggyu.

The two walked to a bunch of greetings from the rest and both sat on the spacious bed.

"Gyu! Why'd you hang up earlier?" Dongwoo moved closer to Sunggyu, awhile Myungsoo and Sungyeol rested on the older's lap and shoulder respectively.

Step 2. Lock Sunggyu down.

"Perfect," Sungjong whispered as he saw Howon go downstairs. Their little convenience store meet-up should take around 20 minutes, and seeing how the three crowding Sunggyu could distract him for 40, their plan's going well.

"Can I go to the bathroom for a sec?" Sunggyu asks, carefully pulling off the two. 

Step 2.1 Get Sunggyu to the bathroom furthest from exits if needed

"Sure!" Sungjong pulled Sunggyu away and to the bathroom right in front of his room.

"Thanks?" Sunggyu was unsure on what to say, not expecting the short move.

Step 3. Get Woohyun's soul ready 

"Hoya!" The said boy found his friend at the mention of his name. He walked over to the chips aisle while Woohyun inspected the state of the bags, not wanting to get a bag of solely crumbles.

"I'll get some stuff for the others too," Hoya said. He went on his was to the other sides of the small store, taking Woohyun's silence as the usual 'yeah sure okay'.

The two finally got what they wanted, Hoya finishing his job first, and the two walk to the counter. 

"Hey Hyun, I never got your answer from earlier," he brought up.

"What answer?"

"If you wanted to talk to the new kid-"

"This is a hold up!" Everyone looked to the entrance to find three lanky men with matching bags and clothes. "Wow, squad goals," Hoya commented under his breath. Woohyun still heard it, and couldn't help but chuckle. It just so happens that the three were able to hear the chuckle from the quiet atmosphere. Noticing their presence moving closer to the two, he could only sigh mentally. 

"So you kids find it funny huh?"

Both teens could only sigh mentally.

Step 4. Lock Sunggyu down again. Please

It so happens that the five realized how active Sunggyu has been the past few weeks, which is odd to Dongwoo considering the lack of energy his friend had generally. In order to keep Sunggyu from something that will make him leave early, the three were back to locking him down, this time with Sungjong slowly taking the older's phone and placing it inside a drawer.

"No way hyung! Where else did you go?" Myungsoo wasn't someone too cold, nor too noisy. For the sake of this plan, he copied his best friend's personality, so now all three were looking at Sunggyu with bright eyes, one just slightly enhanced for good effect. Everytime Sunggyu would pause, one of the three would either give a weird comment or a question; anything to keep Sunggyu distracted.

Step 5. If Step 3 fails, perhaps to a robbery, try again.

"Thank you officer," Woohyun gave an innocent smile to the police who took all three away from the store.

Before the two were cornered by the weird robbers, some students were able to snatch the guns the three were using. The whole store was in silence again when the students noticed they were using fake weapons. Many wondered if they would whip out a butter knife if another started chuckling. That bought enough time for the staff to call the police and bring the three away for causing such ruckus, and the rest of the customers ganged on the three from escaping before the police arrived.

"If only it was that easy," Hoya mumbled while looking at Woohyun. His friend just threw a confused look, and the two went on their way to Sungjong's house with the snacks that were finally paid.

"Back to the new kid," he mentioned once again. "So he's actually at Sungjong's too."

"Really?"

Step 6. Stay calm and consistent until collision.

It was surprisingly after 40 minutes and the three needed to find a new distraction. Sungjong was just called by his mom to help with dinner, so it was all up to the three.

The two if Sungyeol's fascination over Sungjong's notebooks on the other side of the room was cancelled out.

"Should I get water downstairs?" Sunggyu debated to himself. He wanted to get a glass, but possibly interacting with Sungjong's family didn't sound that enticing. 

"Ooh!" Dongwoo exclaimed. "I remember Sungjong placing a bottle here-"

"Wait hyung!" Myungsoo reached for Dongwoo's hand that was about to open the table's little drawer.

"!" 

Myungsoo instinctively ran to Sungyeol with Dongwoo in concern. Sunggyu took the bottle and was about to check on the younger, but he noticed the glowing screen also present in the drawer. He was too panicked to question why the phone moved places, mumbling multiple 's' as he quickly walks to the three.

"Guys my mom called me 4 times," he looked around to check if he left anything behind. "I'll be going back fast-"

"Wait!" Dongwoo placed a hand on Sunggyu. "We really want you to see something later, can't you at least come back?"

"I'll try," he answered.

"Ooh! Let me just come with you!" 

"You sure about that?"

"I don't think you noticed," Dongwoo started with a weird intonation, "but you get distracted very easily."

"You go bro," Sungyeol whispered. Myungsoo sighed and looked into what shocked his best-friend.

"I guess so," Sunggyu agreed. The two ended up walking out to the boy's house. Sungjong would've stopped to ask why, but it wasn't a good idea to leave the food frying (and leave himself prone to an angry Mrs. Lee)

Step 7. Stay. Calm. Please.

"Dammit," the two sighed as they saw the older two leave the room. "I swear if Woohyun hyung and Hoya hyung arrive I will-"

"Hi guys!" Sungjong exclaimed downstairs.

"Hold me Sungyeol," Myungsoo says dramatically. "I can't withstand this anymore."

"Alas my dear friend," Sungyeol places Myungsoo's head on his lap slowly. "There's only so much one can do!"

"Why must fate be so cruel!" The other replies.

"Yes." The two turned their heads to the new voice to see Woohyun with a blank face and Howon trying to mask the pain of nearing failure.

"Hey hyungs..." 

"Where're the two?" Hoya asked.

Step 8. Fine

"Hyungs!" Sungjong rushed back to his room. "Dongwoo hyung's stuck in Gyu's house."

"How?"

"Would you believe that Dongwoo hyung's mother's old batchmates' family is having dinner with Gyu hyung's family? Also the family has two children." Sungjong looked at Hoya specifically, "one of which can't accept a certain hyung's taken status."

"Where's his house?" Howon immediately took Sungjong's phone and left the house again in a matter of seconds.

"Okay then.." Woohyun said, laying on the bed and easily falling a sleep.

"Sungjong," Sungyeol called. "My comrade," he patted on the other side of his lap.

"Where did we go wrong," the youngest sighed. He walked slowly to the two and laid his head as well.

"Where oh where," Myungsoo said before falling asleep aswell.

Step 9. Always look on the bright side.

Little did any of the seven know how close the two were to meeting each other earlier. When Woohyun arrived at the convenience store, there were only a handful of people buying. 

This included the strong-auraed Sunggyu by the small flowers, judging how poorly kept each bouquet was.

 


Is this? a long? chapter? what?

as you can tell, I like narratives

anyway, only one more chapter till the end of this arc! yey!! Progress!!