2-4 (Sungyeol's POV)

Perfect Future

It was the second day of the week before elections, so I did expect that I'd need to put in some effort.

However, I thought I'd just have to act extra friendly and share handouts I made till one in the morning. It would usually include Myungsoo, Sungjong, and I helping each other out (Dongwoo hyung used to as well, but he decided last year was his last), making sure we'd make little helpful connections or use what we already had.

So when an infamous upperclassman comes up to me in the middle of our second break, mumbling words so incoherent I didn't even try understanding, I didn't expect this to be the obstacle to my chances to be PRO.

I was just walking back from the bathroom when she suddenly went up to me with pursed lips and red eyes, and I've been confused ever since. Hoping for the girl to stop sobbing, I gave a few soft pats on the edge of her shoulder, while looking around and wondering why the hell no one was paying attention to this. It's not that I wanted the girl to feel embarrassed, rather she's pretty popular, so it's confusing that not many people are noticing this. But instead, the people in this hallway simply walk back and forth - maybe they don't recognize her from this angle?

"Uh... Are you okay?" I asked, moving my hand away from the slow (and awkward, let's be honest) shoulder pats. She continued to look blank while tears fell, but took a slow, deep breath.

"Why would you do that?" She asks.

Okay, let's pause.

I would like to put a disclaimer that I have never done anything as to hurt someone, let alone an upperclassman that I haven't talked to probably since my last campaign.

The student, by the name of Ahn Soojung (or as the gossip community would call, Krystal) is mainly known for the she's associated with - their words, not mine. Anyways, she hangs out with the alleged by the name of Park Seungho. Perhaps the name's familiar, because he's the one that made nonsensical rumors about me when I started to go for PRO. But in the end, I only know as much as the average student in here.

Back to Ms. Soojung crying in front of me, I'd just like to repeat that I have absolutely no idea what's going on.

"Did I hurt you?" I asked.

"Wait," she says while probably calming herself down. In less than a minute, she looked at me with eyes a little less red, and a face that no longer screamed 'I'm crying a river'. Hm, kinda like magic.

"Let's talk somewhere else."

Guess this bathroom detour will take a bit longer.

 

"What the is this," she says threateningly. In her hand, she shows a phone displaying messages from some twitter account named 'Jiu'.

"Uh.." I stall while reading the messages. Wait. "What is this?"

"What do you mean?" She was obviously shocked at my response.

I guess it makes sense, would you believe me if I told you it wasn't me threatening you online to vote for me in an unknown account?

"I swear I had no idea this was happening, I'm so sorry." I said calmly - this would be a horrible time to send the wrong signs with half-assed words.

She takes a step back and sighs, covering her face in her hands. "I don't even know if I can trust you -" there we go "- but I just wanna do that and get this over with."

"I can't make you believe me, but I can tell you whatever I can and I guess you decide," I tell her. "I'll start right now! I've actually been eyeing the PR position for a long time now! I loved working with their committee and they're my inspiration. I don't know if it sounds as good to you, but to me, it's like, knowing that through communications, I can help pull through a council project, it sounds more than wonderful to me!" As I try to reason with her, I keep in mind to keep a low voice, just in case being loud would just be irritating.

"You really seem like a good guy," she mumbles and pouts. "It's just this thing!" She says with a generous hint of irritation.

"Do you want me to help you out?"

"Eh, you're getting a pretty influential vote if you leave me be though?" Her eyebrow up, probably in confusion.

"Does it matter? I'm not a politician, why do I have to pull tricks just to convince you when I can bore you with my plans and activities in the school?" The latter part was a little joke, and can I just say how thankful I am that she chuckled a tiny bit. Otherwise, imagine the awkward atmosphere - ew.

"Maybe I'll take that offer. We'll see."

"Wait - you're not telling them you talked to me about this, will you?"

"I'm not stupid Lee Sungyeol. I know how this works." With those last words, Ahn Soojung walks away from the scene, and I am still confused.

Why would this unknown account threaten students? Why to vote for me specifically? Are there more threatened students? Does the unknown thing just have dirt on everyone - or are they pin-pointing specific students?

How far can the blackmail hurt them?

 

"You took longer than usual," Dongwoo hyung noted. I gave a toothy grin and sat next to Myungsoo. At least, it was supposed to be his seat, where did he go?

"Someone was causing a commotion near the bathroom." I gave a general excuse - it's not that I want to be secretive, I just don't want them to worry when I don't know the whole picture. Maybe it was just some stupid troll that wanted to poke fun at the elections, so why would they need to be concerned?

"Did you text Myungsoo the whole time?"

I raised an eyebrow in confusion. "No, why hyung?"

"Ah, nevermind then. He was really busy earlier and had to leave - I thought he wanted to get you or something." Dongwoo explained.

"Eh?" I chuckled, "why would he? It's not like I left the school."

"You never know," Jjongie said with a little tune. Why so? I have absolutely no idea.

"Are the hyungs still practicing?" I asked, referring to Woohyun hyung and Sunggyu hyung. Must say, slightly disappointed hyung didn't choose a NELL song - but he promised a mini concert-slash-karaoke session, so I can look over the disappointment.

"Yeah - actually, Hyun plans on surprising Gyu hyung," said Hoya hyung.

"Surprise?"

"Apparently," he made sure to stretch the second syllable, "Hyun was scouted by Wool Entertainment-"

"When? Why didn't he tell us?" I quickly asked. 

"It hasn't been long but he turned them down at first, and that didn't sit with them well. And now, apparently, he contacted them back for a chance as long as Gyu hyung also gets a chance to audition too!" 

"Wait, what?" Jjongie's eyebrows furrowed - he seems a bit worried.

"What's wrong?" I asked him.

"Will hyung say that when he tells Gyu hyung - or is he just gonna tell him they have a chance to audition?"

"Dunno, maybe he won't?" Hoya hyung guesses.

"I don't think that'll end well," Jjongie purses his lips. "How would you feel if you knew the only reason you got in was 'cause they wanted someone else?"

"Or," Hoya hyung interjects, "hyung would take this as a reason to work harder and before you know it he becomes a treasure in Wool!"

"I think we're about to find out," Dongwoo says. We all turned to where he pointed, and found a Gyu hyung walking closer to us. Is he mad?

"Hyung, you okay?" I asked. He takes the empty seat next to me and rests his arms and head on the table.

"I need a nap," he mumbled.

'Should we ask?' Hoya hyung mouths out. Looking at Gyu hyung, I shook my head in response. It doesn't seem he'll be able to answer properly either way. Maybe something happened during their practice - worst case scenario, hyung's here because of the audition.

And seeing how minutes later, there's still no sign of Woohyun hyung here, it might be so.

 

---------------

 

“You weren’t kidding.”

“Why would I be?”

I don’t even know what’s going on.

But here I am, waiting for Soojung in a classroom to finish whatever bickering she has with Kang Seungyoon. The two have the common denominator of being in the same group as Park Seungho. 

The moment I noticed the two walking closer I pushed Myungsoo and Sungjong to continue putting out the flyers on their own, under the simple reason that I needed to finish something quick. Since it was a common occurrence, they didn’t ask and just took my batch of flyers.

“May I ask what’s going on?” I asked.

“Seungyoon here also got the same thing,” she pulled on the guy’s arm. “So I brought him in!”

“Can I talk to Sungyeol for a bit?” He asked, she nodded, but didn’t seem to understand what he exactly meant. “Alone, Stal.” I’ll make a guess that was her nickname, but isn’t that also short for her actual nickname? How unique.

Anyway, she left the room and I quietly prayed Seungyoon was a man of words as he walked closer. I myself am a man of words after all, and I will tumble and fly at the sound of violence.

“The do you think’re doing?” He asked in a low voice, probably to intimidate me. I can assure you, it's working.

Now, unlike Soojung who wore a face of genuine confusion, I feel like I’ll be dead if I bother telling him I’m not who he thinks I am.

Unlike Soojung, who was simply judged for the people she was friends with, Seungyoon’s reputation was a mix of his connections and his own share of activities. Last thing I heard from the officers last year was that he cooperates well in activities; nevertheless, he’s infamous for things probably only Hoya hyung would know. 

On that thought, maybe I should ask him about them later.

“I am innocent and I can explain.” I tried to go straight to the point to avoid any form of confusion.

“Did she come to you crying?” Would saying yes be a good idea?

On one hand, I’m telling the truth.  But on the other hand, he might assume I made her cry.

Why couldn’t he wear his heart on his sleeve instead? Gosh.

“She cried and showed me the phone,” may the truth set me free.

“I see,” he simply nodded. 

“I saw the messages and I swear I didn’t do that,” I attempted to look straight at his eyes. “I don’t know how to prove it right right now, so if you have an idea-”

“Show me your phone.” Although I was confused, I patted my pockets to look for my phone and gave it to him. I’d rather think later because I still have no idea what this guy is capable of.

“No password?” He asked, and I nodded quickly.

“Honestly, you don’t seem like the type to do it,” he said as he scrolled. “I admit, Seungho called you out in some , but he did it cause - no offense - but you seemed like a pushover. It’s simple, he’d call you out, you’d probably ignore it cause you’re ‘above’ this, wouldn’t you?”

“Well I’d be lying if I disagreed,” I sighed. “Also, no offense taken.”

“If anything, I expected your friend to stand on a table and defend you or something,” he added.

“Myungsoo? Sungjong?”

“Uh, I think he’s the same grade as you.”

“Myungsoo it is.”

I must admit, I’m surprised by how perceptive he comes across as so far. But remembering how he told his friend to leave before he talked, perhaps there’s a reason behind that. That or I’m overthinking and he just observes the people Seungho would mess with.

“I had to hold him back actually,” I chuckled, “he tried intimidating some kids cause they were bad-mouthing me.” Hopefully the little story would lessen the tension I think he’s building here.

Before I could notice any reaction from the older, a knock was heard.

“Is that Soojung sunbae?” I asked. However, the older’s quick walk to the door was enough to answer my question.

“Can I join in now?” She asked, peeking out of the door.

“Fine.”

Following her friend, she stands where she was previously. And as she clasps her hands loudly, she looks at me with a small smile.

“So, what’s the plan?”

 

---------------

 

“You weren’t kidding.”

“If I would I wouldn’t.”

I would be lying if I said the events from yesterday made it hard for me to sleep. Until now, I had been noting possible ways to find out who Jiu is, to the point that I didn’t realize that I was already in the first break. 

And in another deceptively mundane adventure to the bathroom, I end up in a conundrum I wish I never had to end up in.

This time, with the infamous Park Seungho and his posse.

As he pushed away who I assumed was his classmate, I noticed how the whole group didn’t spare a second look as the push nearly made the said classmate trip over himself.

I tried to look at the unknown upperclassman before he left, and it seemed he wanted to do the same since our eyes met. Too bad he turned and left before I could see his face properly.

“Let’s see what you got.” Seungho says with an obviously cocky smile.

I’m allowed to hate him, right?