2-5

Perfect Future

“That won’t be a problem, right?” 

“Not at all sir,” Sunggyu smiled. “If anything, we get to practice more!”

“That’s the spirit,” the club advisor said. “That’s all, you can go back to your practice.”

The two singers were just informed that the talent show would be moved to a week later, due to the annual senior trip week clashing with the event schedule. Although the trip would usually happen two weeks after, a majority of the seniors couldn’t work with that schedule and, before they knew it, the least problematic week to choose included the usual day of the talent show. So, their senior committee decided it would be best to move the talent show to a week after.

Sunggyu thinks luck struck him. Now he gets an extra week to prepare to perform because, as he said once, “that is ing scary.”

Now walking from the adviser’s office, the two went back to the music room, where they planned to continue to practice as usual.

To Sunggyu, this was a time to build his confidence up more. To Woohyun, it was the build up of something else he didn’t really prepare for, and it all started with the karaoke machine.

It wasn’t like Woohyun has never listened to Sunggyu singing before - he was always there during their NELL sessions (and, no doubt, his voice is amazing). But that day to Woohyun was like a switch - or maybe it was an eye-opener, he wasn’t sure. In fact, he didn’t even like how vague it was to him.

Everything was going normal that day until the warm up, because when Sunggyu decided to turn to Woohyun while he was mesmerized with his voice, the boy just blanked out. The moment Sunggyu looked at him right before the next verse, all Woohyun could remember was that same look that he didn’t even realize when the song was done. Instead, he had a little yelp when Sunggyu snuggled into the blankets Woohyun covered himself in, and only then did he look around.

The few hours after the warmup song went smoothly, so Woohyun thought it was simply an odd occurrence. However, it seems the distraction could only go for so long, so when Sunggyu left and Woohyun went on to his usual homework time, the image reappeared. Luckily, Woohyun had gone through this before, and it didn’t stop him from making an amazing lab report that was due the following week.

But, when Woohyun went through this before, it was always the start of having a crush.

Okay, Woohyun could accept the idea - but he absolutely should not. Sunggyu wasn’t just anyone in school, not just any new kid he (failed to) tour. His crush would be Kim Sunggyu, the guy that just naturally fit in the group in less than a month, the guy who had the worst first impression of him - even if he got over it. And hell, he’s sure Sunggyu thinks of him as nothing more than a friend. 

You might be wondering, why would he worry if it’s a simple crush?

Well, that question entertained Woohyun as well and eased him for a good hour. But then Sunggyu messaged him and suddenly he’s got hearts in his eyes. 

One thing he could conclude though, is that it should only be a crush. He’s had a fair share of falling in love and heartbreaks (and he wonders if Sunggyu has had the same sometimes), he definitely doesn’t want it to go too far. Not when he can see how important the older is to him and his friends. He doesn’t want to imagine the possibilities if he goes beyond.

And so we return to the current situation: Woohyun and Sunggyu in the music room, turning the equipment they needed back on.

Soon enough, it was Sunggyu’s turn to perform. Therefore, it was Woohyun’s turn to hold in the waves of compliments he’d give at every verse.

As practice goes on, Sunggyu continues to remind himself of the reasons he will do fine in the talent show, and Woohyun continues to find more reasons he continues to fall for Sunggyu.

 

-----

 

“Why the ’re you only telling us now?” Here lies Howon, trying to hold back the urge to ask Woohyun how the actually did he get scouted by Wool Entertainment. Actually, he isn’t really trying - his friend very well knows he shouldn’t leave out the details. And at the seat next to the shocked boy, sits a Kevin who’s just wondering where this’ll go.

“Didn’t think I’d actually take it.” 

“Why’d you change your mind then?” The calmer of the two asks.

Currently, Woohyun’s taking advantage of the fact that Sunggyu and Dongwoo had to busy themselves with who knows what while they wait for the next teacher. By taking advantage, he means he’s called up Howon and Kevin to the corner of the room to tell them he might audition for a popular entertainment company. 

As for why?

“It’ll be fun if Gyu hyung and I audition,” Woohyun answers. “He seems to have a lot of fun with performing and besides, the company doesn’t only house idols so hyung could go as a musician in the long run if he doesn’t want to be an idol.” He explains further.

“Maybe I should’ve joined the music club instead,” Kevin pouted. “I wanna hear his amazing talent too.”

“Don’t worry, the talent show’s still there.” Woohyun said.

“Speaking of which, I think I’ll volunteer to be head assistant or something for the show.”

“Wouldn’t you already be involved if you win president?” Howon asks.

“Uh, I think you forgot who I’m up against?”

“Hey, don’t think negatively hyung! Who knows, you could end up stealing the hearts of the entire school!” Woohyun says cheerily.

“Loving the positivity, but it’s not like it’s the end of the world for me,” Kevin chuckles. “There’ll still be next year.”

“Mr. Choo’s coming!”

“We’re not done with you Hyun,” Howon tells his friend before running off to his seat. Woohyun nods and walks to his own seat, noticing how his seatmate was quickly squiggling his answers on the last few questions.

“You’re doing great hyung,” he teases.

“Not everyone gets their together the week before Woohyun sir.”

 

----

 

This was the moment Woohyun’s been waiting for.

As the two were back in the music room during their second break, the younger couldn’t help but fumble for a bit even if he’s been doing the same thing he’s done since they started practicing. Every other second the guy would find himself rethinking how he’d approach his crush with the idea because, even if he may be expecting a positive reaction, he can’t help but feel nervous before the big thing. The big thing, of course, being Sunggyu’s reaction.

So once the two finished setting up and were about to begin warm-ups, it almost felt like Woohyun’s heart dropped down to his feet and somehow jumped out. To Sunggyu, Woohyun’s heart was practically shouting for attention; his eyes would dart around at every second, and don’t think he hasn’t noticed how the poor boy would mistaken the mic stands for a support pole (because no Woohyun, the mic stand will not be able to handle a human leaning on them), or how, for reasons Sunggyu didn’t bother asking, Woohyun decided to pull out all his chemistry worksheets.

“Did something happen Hyun?” He finally asks the boy.

“Huh?” The younger was so focused in his heart failing to handle his nerves that he barely heard the question.

“Did something happen earlier?”

“Oh… no, why?”

“You still have your worksheets right next to your mic stand,” Sunggyu pointed out. Woohyun’s eyes widened, quickly collecting the papers and pushing it into his bag. 

“So, are you sure there’s nothing troubling you?”

“Honestly, there’s a small one,” Woohyun admits. “Can we start practice a little bit later today?”

“No problem,” Sunggyu smiles. “Wanna talk about that small stress you got?” The two get more comfortable, both deciding to sit on the floor. 

“I just feel a bit nervous to talk.” Did Woohyun plan to stall as much as possible because his heart has yet to find its original place? Absolutely.

“Wow, same,” the older sighs, his face dropping. “Like, sometimes, I don’t know how to approach my mama without getting really ing nervous.” He explained. Even if he does give a chuckle, the other just wants to be sure.

“Whatever’s going on, you know you can talk to us about it, right?” Woohyun assures him. 

“Definitely, thanks.” 

Sunggyu admits, sometimes he stops to realize how different it has been since he started school here, and one of the best differences is feeling secure with the friends he’s made. It’s not that his previous schools were absolute hell, he just never got to feel such companionship, especially so naturally - he always felt pressured to keep talking to his classmates in hopes to be friends with them. And when he did that, he was only able to be friendly enough to one person (of which he hasn’t talked to ever since he switched schools, woops). To know that he was able to do this without getting worried that they’d suddenly stop talking gives Sunggyu hope and assurance, and to say he’s thankful for these would be an understatement.

And, as his gratitude grows, so does his excitement for the possibilities to come. After all, isn’t it amazing to not only find friends, but friends who seem just as happy as he had been so far in the arts? Actually, isn't it already amazing enough that he’s found an interest in the arts?

He can’t really say that his dreams are set in stone now, but the fact that he has a hobby that isn’t secretly eating him up because of his insecurities is a huge step to him.

If only his parents were on the same page.

“How about you?” He asks. “You gonna talk about what’s on your mind?”

“Actually,” Woohyun decides to start slow. “I got scouted.”

“Scouted?”

“Like, an entertainment company wants me to audition for them,” the younger explained. “The audition’s in a few days though…”

“That’s great news!” Sunggyu leaned forward in surprise, giving a big open smile. “Wait - are you nervous for the auditions? Do you wanna start prepping today?”

“Not exactly.” Woohyun took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, deciding this is the right time. 

He should do it.

“I actually called them about it…”

Woohyun was getting ready to hear his hyung planning for the auditions with the same big smile.

“They wanna give both of us a chance to audition!”

But all Sunggyu could show was panic.