Arc 1 - A Lucky Start

Perfect Future

"So, what do you all want to be when you grow up?" The teacher asks. I remember the multiple art materials placed in front of us on our own tables and, while I mindlessly scanned through what they gave us, I could hear the multiple answers fill up the room. 

The class was bombarded with cheerful replies mentioning superheroes, presidents, and so much more.

I remembered staying quiet, unsure what would be my own. Perhaps I was the only one; the teacher immediately walked closer and sat right next to me, asking what was wrong

"I don't know what to draw Miss..." With a random crayon in my grasp, I squiggled on the paper to feel like I did something.

"Hmm… There must be something you like, right?"

"Is it bad if i don’t?" I asked her.

"No, don’t worry,” she patted my back lightly, “it’s okay.”

"... But what do I draw?"

"Anything you want, okay? Don’t worry too much."

And, ‘till now, I hope she’s right.

 

------

 

Third Grade. The bell rang and many kids were running all over the place, others ran to their friends in other classes as the rest went straight to the playground.

I remember how I handled being in the new school; I couldn’t get the hang of the place, everyone had their own circles already, the most sociability I’d get was the times I would recite, and it seemed I’d live through that the entire school year.

Kind of expected actually.

In a seemingly mundane walk around the school, I found myself near a chatty group, eavesdropping since honestly what else could I have done.

“Yeah! My mama has fun doing it, so I wanna paint too!”

“Nice, I think I wanna go to space! My uncle said he’ll go to the moon next month!”

“No way? That’s so cool”

They're so lucky, they know what they'll be, they know what they want.

When will I go through the same thing?


 

-----

 

Eighth Grade. Our yearbook was in the making, and this time they decided to pick dreams for the graduates. Whether it was our grade or the twelfth, we were required to do this. And, of course, I still don't know where to go.

There's been some change, I've actually considered some options, but then again I keep becoming indecisive with all the cons of the future road I think of. My confusing thoughts got me nowhere that I ended up putting "A Successful Person" in the 'Dream' part. 

Generalized, but it's all I got now.

 

---

 

Tenth Grade. It's the last grade I'll spend in this city before I go somewhere new, possibly meet new people, and go through new experiences.

Who knows, maybe I’ll even get a dream.