{14}

Selfish thoughts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next few days after the fateful evening, Seulgi couldn't reach Jaebum.

Calls won't go through, messages remained unread, and nothing not even a hint he caught whiff of how crazy he was driving Seulgi became a tell.

Joohyun kept shooting glances at her during practice too, the older was still awake when she arrived home that night, dazed and slightly shivering from the cold and from the realization dawning on her. And Seulgi was eternally grateful she was the one who stayed up to wait for her otherwise she'd have more talk going on than her mind could keep up with.

"I'm going to have to make you tell me, you know." Joohyun's voice was soft although imploring, she was the leader now and there were obligations that come from that position.

"Yeah, can we uh, move somewhere private?" she muttered refusing to meet the other two's curious gazes, they were on a fifteen minute break from practice, something she might've caused in one way or another.

"Alright," Joohyun said then to the other two, "We'll be back soon, wait for us."

Thankfully there was an empty practice room only a few rooms away from theirs, although some other place would do, practice rooms were soundproof, perfect for the secret Seulgi couldn't yet share with the world.

"So?" Joohyun didn't waste time to get the answers from Seulgi.

"Remember almost two weeks ago, when I went home? I met Jaebum and he.... he told me he likes me, like a lot... of likes." she stuttered, feeling heat crawl up to her cheeks to taint them vibrant red, but the expression on Joohyun's lovely face was unreadable and that somehow unnerved her.

"Unnie?" still Joohyun stayed silent but after some time a knowing smile cracked on her features.

"It took him this long, huh?"

"Huh?"

"What are you planning to do about this then?" curiosity and understanding played in Joohyun's expression, what exactly the older girl was talking about, Seulgi's thoughts couldn't yet process.

"Well, that's the thing. I haven't been able to contact him since." Seulgi whined.

"Have you tried going home?"

"Not really, and honestly unnie I really don't know what I should do or how I should face him."

Seulgi didn't want to lay this particular information out like this, didn't like the feeling of being so open in front of another person but this was Joohyun. She had spent a good quarter of her life with Joohyun, long enough to trust the older girl with complicated matters like this one.

"Let me be honest with you, Gom. I find you dumb speaking these words,"

"U-Unnie..."

"Look, Jaebum has always been in love with you. I've known ever since we first met all those years ago, and now him finally letting you know I'm sure that even if you two weren't actually on speaking terms as of late, he hasn't really stopped loving you," with Joohyun staring at her, hands on hips while she was slumped on the floor her words were hitting her sharper than she could've expected.

"And while it's kind of cute watching you be all clueless about his feelings before, I can't help but tell you right now that you're dumb if you keep on saying you don't know what to do with finally having the knowledge that he does still, truly, actually love you. You're twenty, Seulgi. Please start figuring things out,"

Joohyun's calm voice was probably the hardest to take about this whole situation, because she never ever raises her voice but her disappointment can always be heard and right now Seulgi wishes she was with another of her members other than Joohyun. At least they wouldn't be this calm and a little cold in telling her off.

"I'm sorry, unnie." Seulgi whispered, head hung low as she still took in the magnitude of the older girl's words.

"No don't be, but please Seul at least for his sake, figure out an answer you can freely give when you meet him again," with that, the Joohyun turned and left the practice room, leaving Seulgi to her reeling thoughts.

After her and Joohyun's talk, Seulgi vowed to keep all thoughts of Jaebum away, choosing only to focus on the task at hand— to perfect the steps for their debut performance.

She sang, made appropriate expressions, and carefully pieced together everything she had learned until it was perfect to the minute detail. Although she wouldn't deny that mind was still in utmost turmoil every time a stray thought about her ex best friend came up to her when she wasn't entirely focused, she wouldn't let that affect her debut performance, she would do well she vowed.

"Sseul, what's wrong?" it was Wendy who came up to ask about her after practice, not that it was of any surprise seeing as Wendy was the most expressive and sensitive of all of them. "You don't seem like yourself ever since you and Joohyun unnie left to talk."

"It's fine, I just have a lot in mind." Seulgi answered evasively, this is her problem and as the second eldest member she wouldn't bring her group unnecessary worry over her complicated life.

"Oh, it's going to be okay, Seul." Wendy said softly caressing her back with gentle circling motions. "Whatever it is, I believe you'll sort it out,"

"I hope so, Wendy."

***

It wasn't until the wrap-up of their debut stage pre recording that Seulgi managed to finally get through Jaebum again. Which she suspected only happened because it was in the unholy hours of the morning (even by idol standards), nevertheless she managed to make him pick up so all that was left is for her to give her answer.

"'Lo?" Jaebum's voice was deep, deeper than any other time she heard the husky drawl he let on and damn did it make her shiver.

"Hey, it's me." Seulgi answered after taking enough gulps of air to keep the nervousness away from her voice.

"Me who?"

"Seulgi," she heard him start and a few choice curses he probably muffled on his pillow could be heard.

"What's with the call at this damned hour?"

"Mom said she'd want to watch my debut stage together, said it would also be great if I invite you over." she muttered, then hastily added, "Although of course if you're busy—

"Fine, what time?"

"Four thirty or something?" Seulgi could feel her heart beat quickening, she had to ask to meet up with him before either of them stepped foot in her house and although she had asked the question a lot of times in the past, it didn't make the situation any less awkward now that he somehow...

"Right,"

"Wait! C-Can we head there together? Let's talk first?" by then Seulgi could swear that with the way her heart was pounding Jaebum would actually be able to hear them even through the other line.

"Alright,"

"J-Jae..."

"Let's talk later kit I'd rather talk in this ungodly hour,"

"Oh, okay,"

***

It wasn't until quarter to three in the afternoon did Seulgi's last schedule for the day finished, and unfortunately the place was far from the Apgujeong bus station Jaebum said they should meet in.

"Is there something wrong?" Joohyun asked her softly, the older girl had probably noticed her queasiness as the car weaved in the afternoon traffic rolling in.

"I was supposed to meet someone in Apgujeong bus station at four thirty," Seulgi whispered, wary of their driver and manager seated in front of the vehicle.

Despite being a trainee for seven years, there had still been quite a lot of company regulations Seulgi had to comply with. And most of them were strictly enforced especially during promotions period, like right now, so the last thing she wanted to do was to make their manager suspicious.

"We have a schedule by twelve thirty later in the evening though," Joohyun whispered just as softly.

"I know unnie, I'll be back quickly after."

"Alright, I'll cover for you until then,"

"Thank you, unnie."

***

Jaebum had arrived at the bus station ten minutes before his and Seulgi's supposed meeting time, not that he minded much as he didn't like bein

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter