...

Not Like the Others (Sequel)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

XXV

 

“Thank you for inviting us here, Mr. Byun. It’s very beautiful,” Chanyeol said. He was sitting with Baekhyun and his father in an outdoor table at a restaurant in the country club Mr. Byun had membership to. It was the beginning of summer, the weather was sunny and fresh.

“It’s my pleasure, I can’t believe Baekhyun didn’t bring you before,” Mr. Byun said as the waiter picked up their already empty plates

“I don’t know... It never came up I guess,” Baekhyun replied. He glanced at the waiter before he went away and asked for piece of cheesecake for dessert.

“I invited you here for a reason, though.”

“Uh... I don’t like that tone. What’s wrong, dad?”

“Well, first I’d like to apologize for making you come here when you’re already in family leave and when there’s plenty for you to arrange at home,” he said apologetically. Baekhyun and Chanyeol were already expecting labor to start at any moment, and the omega had stopped going to the office a couple weeks prior, “but I want to end this conflict.”

Baekhyun sighed deeply, sensing where this was going. “What conflict?”

“Baekhyun,” Mr. Byun looked at his son gravely. “Chanyeol, his family and even your mother feel like you’re denying your identity, and they think this won’t make you happy in the long run.” Chanyeol’s eyes widened at this, but the older alpha made a gesture to ask him to wait. “They asked me to talk to you. Your mom is right, I did give you a lot of freedom growing up.”

This time it was Baekhyun who opened his mouth. “Let me finish.” He closed it again. “You’re my only son, and after your mom’s traumatic pregnancy, I knew I wasn’t going to have another, and maybe this was why I spoiled you. I saw so much of myself in you, your stubbornness, pride and ambition, that I couldn’t bring myself to try suppressing that part of you. I didn’t let your mother educate you to become a poised and submissive omega, instead I reinforced values that shouldn’t have gone with your nature, because I wanted you to be happy. But now... I don’t like seeing our family in such constant strain-”

“I don’t know what the hell they told you, but I have never said that!” Chanyeol growled, getting a few looks of displeasure from the neighboring tables, but he didn’t care. “I knew they were plotting something when they reacted so calmly. Staying home when the baby comes was my decision, not Baekhyun’s! Baekhyun is mine, and I’d like everyone to stop meddling in my business!”

“Chanyeol-” Baekhyun tried to speak again, wide eyed.

“Let me, Baekhyun,” Chanyeol said with a wave of his hand. “My family is very traditional, Mr. Byun. It bothers them that Baekhyun works. They want him to do every chore, to stay at home, to keep quiet when they talk to him- And I don’t want that.

“I’m not going to lie and say I was thrilled with Baekhyun when I felt the pull towards him. I wasn’t, I had always had this dream of a cute submissive mate I could protect and spoil, and Baek... He freaking ran away from me and refused to live together.

But now, I... I wouldn’t choose another. I love him, and he loves me. It’s true that we have our differences, but we’ve become better at working them out.”

“Chanyeol!”

“Wait, Baek-”

“I can’t!” Baekhyun exclaimed, but still trying to keep his voice low. “That’s very beautiful but I think my waters broke! I’m making a mess over here!” he hissed.

Chanyeol gaped at him. “Now?!”

Baekhyun just nodded, pale as paper. Chanyeol helped him stand up and Mr. Byun offered his suit’s jacket to cover Baekhyun’s waist down, because the yoga pants he was wearing were drenched in liquid. Chanyeol hoisted him in his arms and they walked quickly out of the restaurant and to the parking lot.

Chanyeol got in the backseat with the omega, while Mr. Byun drove the car. Baekhyun laid down with his head on Chanyeol’s thigh, trying to find some relief for the contractions he had started feeling.

“Breathe, Baek, we’ll be home pretty soon.”

“...It hurts.”

“Do you want water or anything?” The alpha grabbed his hand and held it.

Baekhyun shook his head and closed his eyes. “But talk to me... Please...”

“Okay, uhm... I’m really sorry my family is like this, Baek. But I know they have good intentions, they just want us to be happy, and they think we need to be ‘normal’ for that.”

Baekhyun smiled. “...are you calling me abnormal?”

“Definitely.” Chanyeol chuckled.

“...What if they’re right?”

“Huh?”

“I’m so tired of fighting, Chanyeol,” Baekhyun said, a serious expression on his fa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter