Now What?

"Pretending"

Hyungwon woke up with two weights on his chest, one physical and one emotional.

The physical one wasn't so bad, it was warm and provided comfort, the hair was soft and Hyungwon began to play with it when he noticed it wouldn't disturb the other's sleep. The strands easily slipped through his fingers which made him want to ruffle it more. Suddenly, Mingyu's job seemed a lot more appealing. His eyes followed down the rest of the man's body, he could feel the arm underneath his back and there were lumps in the sheets for Minhyuk's legs.

His own leg was bent sideways and the one closest to the other was straightened. His arms were free but if he moved his chest even the slightest it would probably wake Minhyuk from slumber.

The emotional weight had gotten lighter as he played with Minhyuk's hair, being distracted and all, but remembering how he had acted last night caused the pause in his ministrations and a tug at his chest, weighing him down further into the mattress.

He was confused.

Did he like Minhyuk? Did he really like Minhyuk? Are his feelings simply because Kihyun won't be there anymore or does he truly want Minhyuk to be with him? Was he just using Minhyuk?

He knew he cared about Minhyuk, he knew he cared about the other a lot but he didn't know in what way.

He cared about Hyunwoo, he's the person that keeps Kihyun happy and Hyungwon could trust him with that duty no matter how much it hurt.

He cared about Jihoon, Soonyoung, and Seungcheol. They gave him a job and made sure he was doing alright, they were making sure to pay him and avoid overworking as much as possible.

He cared about Kihyun, he cared so much that if he was asked to kill himself for Kihyun's safety he would agree in a heartbeat. Would he do the same for Minhyuk?

Was he just feeling an attraction because Minhyuk feels one? Is he taking pity on Minhyuk's feelings towards him?

He was scared.

He was scared to tell Minhyuk about his thoughts. He was scared of raising the other's expectations only to crush them if he realizes he only used Minhyuk as a rebound.

He was scared of ruining their friendship with his own feelings, if he did have feelings for Minhyuk he was sure he still had feelings for Kihyun he was afraid of them getting in the way of his relationship.

He was scared of treating Minhyuk the same way he treated Hoseok.

He was scared that Minhyuk's feelings changed.

What if Minhyuk didn't like him anymore? What if he realized just how in love Hyungwon was with Kihyun and gave up deciding to move on just as Hyungwon came to accept his feelings for the other?

He was terrified of hurting Minhyuk.

The other had done nothing but good things to him, listened to his sob stories and stayed with him when they were too much.

He covered his eyes with his forearm, trying to block out the world and ignore the weight on and inside his chest. He could feel guilty tears make their way towards his eyes again and decided it would be best if he got away for a while before Minhyuk woke up to him breaking down.

He tried his best to slide out of the bed without Minhyuk waking up but every time he tried to move Minhyuk's arms would tighten around his torso and trap him even more. Giving up, he huffed and stared at the ceiling while willing the tears away, thoughts clouding within him as silence took over.

He ended up dozing off again, waking up alone and cold. The blankets were pushed towards the end of the bed and he heard the faint sound of his toilet flushing, Minhyuk was still there? He palmed his bed for his phone, time telling him that he had slept through most of the day.

Looking up from his phone again he saw Minhyuk walking back down the hall towards his room. He put the device away and awkwardly waited for the other to open his door but it never happened. He could see Minhyuk's hair disappear down the stairs and realized that the other was probably going home.

Sulkily, he retreated into the sheets to think about what Minhyuk must be thinking. He couldn't blame the other for hating him or never wanting to talk to him again, Hyungwon hurt him. He really shouldn't have asked him to stay - "!" There was a loud curse from the room below followed by the loud sound of something metal hitting the floor and Hyungwon was running down without a second to spare.

"Minhyuk are you-" Hyungwon stayed in place, breathing rapidly from the trip down the stairs, his hand was still gripping the rail as he tried to make sense of the scene in front of him.

Minhyuk was on the floor, holding the handle to one pan and seemingly trying to catch others as his other hand was held out in front of him. Like a deer caught in headlights, they stared at each other until yet another pan fell from the opening, causing an amused smile to form on Hyungwon's face and a sigh to escape Minhyuk's.

"I was trying to make... What would you call the first meal of the day but you have it at the end of the day?" He brought the only safe pan up to swing it around. Hyungwon shrugged and made his way over to help put the pans away.

"No wonder they all fell out you just shove them in like that," Minhyuk commented as he helped, reordering everything so they would be stable.

"I don't even remember the last time these were used, to be honest. I think it was a year or two?" They closed the cabinet and Hyungwon watched Minhyuk make his way over to the stove, "And I wasn't even the one cooking."

"I can't cook that great, you have eggs and that's what I'm making." He successfully got the stove to turn on and Hyungwon moved to the stool across the island so he wouldn't get in Minhyuk's way.

"You didn't make rice?" Hyungwon teased,

"Do you even have a rice cooker? I saw bread and thought I could just use that."

"Bread and egg?" Hyungwon made a face as Minhyuk cracked an egg with one hand.

"Tastes better than you think." Minhyuk cracked the rest of them, "Where's the forks?" He slushed the yolks around in the bowl. When Hyungwon pointed to the drawer it took him a few trials to get it right and Hyungwon chuckled.

"I swear you pointed to the first one I opened."

Hyungwon waved him off and listened to the sound of frying egg while scrolling through the messages Kihyun left him on his phone.

'Where did you go?'

'Hyungwon where are you?'

'Hyungwon Hyunwoo and I are waiting and starving. Where did you go?'

'If you aren't at the car in three minutes we're leaving without you.'

'We're leaving now.'

'Why didn't you tell me you were going with Minhyuk?'

'Do you know how long we waited for you?'

'Hyungwon call me when you see this.'

'I'm serious.'

Rolling his eyes he pressed the call button and headed upstairs, he saw Minhyuk turn for a moment, "It won't be long, I'm going to change and talk to Kihyun about something for a second." Right as he explained his manager picked up on the other line and began to scold him.

"Chae Hyungwon!" Minhyuk snickered from where he was in the kitchen before Hyungwon's bedroom door closed.

"I'm sorry," he apologized immediately.

"You know how worried I was?" Hyungwon set his phone on speaker and searched for his joggers, skinny jeans weren't the comfiest to sleep in.

"You were talking to Hyunwoo about something wedding related and I didn't want to bother you."

"You could have texted me when you were in the car together?" There was rustling on Kihyun's line as well. He slipped on his joggers and headed back downstairs where Minhyuk was setting the second batch of fried eggs on a plate.

"I'm sorry, okay? Where are you going?" Hyungwon asked over the phone Minhyuk looked up with a confused face and Hyungwon just shook his head.

"Hyunwoo wanted to go out, wanna come with?"

"You shouldn't be inviting a third party to a date you're going on with your fiancé." Hyungwon set the phone down and took the plate of bread, looking at it as if it were going to come alive.

In the corner of his eye, he saw Minhyuk roll his eyes and take a bite into the egg sandwich.

"I'm sure Hyunwoo wouldn't mind, and we never hang out anymore, the three of us I mean. It's always either you and me or me and Hyunwoo." Hyungwon could feel Minhyuk's eyes on him and he saw the jaw stop mid-bite. Hyungwon was getting ready to answer when Minhyuk cut in.

"What about me Kihyun?" Hyungwon furrowed his brows and Minhyuk motioned him to eat his sandwich.

"Oh! Minhyuk! You're there? Hyungwon why didn't you tell me earlier? Are you guys on a date too?" Hyungwon blushed feeling obliged to take a bite so he wouldn't have the ability to say anything if forced.

The sandwich was surprising, sweet and salty but endearing to taste. Minhyuk had a victory smirk and Hyungwon would have wiped it off his face if he didn't deserve it.

"Yeah I've been over at Hyungwon's since yesterday. You know he's really clingy when he's drunk." Instead of turning red like Minhyuk expected Hyungwon's eyes widened and he began to shake his head.

"What?" Kihyun's voice was concerned on the other line. "Hyungwon got drunk? Is he okay?" Minhyuk pressed his lips together for a moment.

"He's fine, why?" Hyungwon continued to shake his head and try to snatch his phone back but Minhyuk wasn't letting up.

"Oh, uh... what?" Kihyun asked a question to what the two in Hyungwon's home assumed to be Hyunwoo. Minhyuk wasn't buying it. "Sorry Minhyuk, Hyunwoo doesn't like when I use my phone on dates, I have to go now bye!"

When the line went dead Hyungwon's head stopped shaking and the hand he was using to grab his phone back hung in mid-air. "Okay, Kihyun was obviously lying." He handed the phone back but there really wasn't any point in it now.

"Story for a story."

"Sure."

"I'm an emotional drunk." Hyungwon took another bite of the sandwich, it was actually really good.

"I kind of figured after last night, a lightweight too, though I'm not much better. Elaborate."

"I only drink when I'm sad and it gets worse after that."

"So... You didn't want to kill anyone last night so it can't be anything bad."

"Kihyun's going to be wondering why I drank last night if I was 'fine' as you put it." Minhyuk rose a single eyebrow. "Minhyuk, I was sad last night because of my feelings for Kihyun I can't just tell him now."

"Why not?"

"Uhhh, did you not know that he's engaged and getting married sometime in the spring of next year?" Hyungwon's sarcasm went unappreciated as Minhyuk finished up the rest of his sandwich.

"You're making everything complicated again."

"How? Don't you think it would make someone feel down if they were told their best friend liked them since they were twelve? If that were me I would feel like crap."

"Hyungwon," Minhyuk called. There wasn't an answer, just the view of Hyungwon trying to suppress his feelings and it bothered Minhyuk at how well he was doing so.

"Hyungwon," He called again. When there was no answer the second time he used a method that was bound to catch the other's attention and patted his cheeks.

"Hyungwon." Minhyuk backed up once he was sure he had the other's attention. "All you have to do is tell him that I asked you about your past and you got emotional."

"I'm a liar."

"True, but those events did happen and I'm sure the question reminded you of your past in some way." Hyungwon mulled it over, staring at his unfinished sandwich, he took another bite and continued to think.

"Something's still bothering you." Minhyuk returned to his seat across from Hyungwon and stared with his palms pressing against his cheeks and elbows resting on the counter.

"You're still here." Minhyuk made a face.

"Yes. I am."

"I thought you would be gone when I woke up," Hyungwon explained.

"I didn't wake up much earlier than you and I would feel horrible if I hadn't fed you when you let me stay here."

"I asked you to stay here."

"And I did because I wanted to."

Hyungwon stayed silent after that, "Do you want me to go?" Minhyuk's question came.

"No..."

Minhyuk looked between the door and Hyungwon for a while and thought about whether he should leave or not. Hyungwon said to stay but he was still staring at the plate.

"I guess it's my turn," Minhyuk exaggerated his sigh but it got Hyungwon's lips to turn up. Feeling slightly remorseful for choosing the particular story he continued.

"There's a video of me on the internet singing with my friend at a club."

"What song?" Hyungwon brought his phone closer to him and waited for the reply. "Hey, it's not fair if you don't tell me the song."

"Gangnam Style," Minhyuk coughed out, Hyungwon smirked and began to type on his phone. The message was sent to Kihyun, the other would open it sometime.

"Anyway~" Minhyuk reached over and slapped Hyungwon's phone out of his hands, causing it to clatter against the stone of Hyungwon's kitchen counter. "Mark asked me to help out at the orphanage again, wanna come with?"

Hyungwon thought about it for a while, "Do you wanna borrow some clothes?"

Minhyuk pulled the fabric of his shirt up for a smell test. It wasn't anything too bad, "I think it's fine, do I smell bad?" Minhyuk stood and walked over to Hyungwon and leaned in, Hyungwon took a quick whiff.

"Not horrible. Does he need us there now?" He leaned back and away from the other and got off the chair.

"Oh. Uh, he doesn't really need us, I was thinking of watching a movie before heading over."

"What time does the orphanage close?"

"Around nine."

"It's six."

"It is?" Minhyuk checked his phone and sure enough instead of a four like he was expecting the number six, two, and five showed up on screen, no four in sight.

Hyungwon let out a small laugh.

-

The parking lot had one more car than the other day and Hyungwon wondered who would adopt this late, the orphanage he was in would close doors at 5 because there were so many of them.

"Do you think that it's bad for me to be coming here a lot?" Minhyuk had yet to unlock the doors and Hyungwon turned with furrowed brows.

"What has you asking that question?"

"I was just wondering, I've always thought about it. I asked Mark one time. He said that it's fine, but doesn't it give them false hope that maybe one day I'm going to adopt one of them?"

"Are you thinking about adopting any of them?"

"Yeah? I've never been interested in girls and I obviously can't give birth but I've always wanted a kid."

"I thought you said you were bi?"

"I said I could date a girl." Hyungwon rose his eyebrows and tilted his chin up in a nod at the same time.

"You are getting their hopes up but eventually they'll look at you like another orphanage head and come to accept the fact you won't be adopting any of them." Hyungwon thought about anything else he should say.

"I don't think you should adopt a child from this orphanage, though, there are too many children that are already attached to you and would feel wronged if you adopted another kid instead of them."

"Is it hard to leave?"

"Yeah," Hyungwon sighed out. "When someone's taking care of you, you're bound to feel like they're your real parent or parents. Eventually, at least for me, you'll see enough people leave and start to think of the orphanage head as a friend. When I left, it's like I was leaving a really good friend and felt like I owe them something."

"So, it's kind of like moving?" The engine was turned off and the doors were unlocked, Minhyuk seemed to get the information he wanted.

"You could say that. I imagine it would be like moving into a dorm on a college campus during freshman year, but a lot scarier since you're young and you still believe in the concept of stranger danger."

"Do they teach you that in orphanages?"

"No, but kids are usually scared of adults." Minhyuk knocked on the door to the orphanage which caused it to open immediately and a chorus of the word surprise welcomed the two into the building. There were two lights coming from the far end of the room that gradually came closer as a stranger brought them inside.

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to Minhyuk~! Happy birthday to you!" The cake was brought by Mark, his mouth stretched into a wide grin.

"Aw, you guys didn't have to! You could have spent the money on-" There was suddenly frosting on his nose and a finger in Mark's mouth.

"Just make a wish," A voice called from behind them. Hyungwon jumped at the unexpected exclamation. Minhyuk closed his eyes with a smile, paused for a while, before finally opening his eyes and blowing the two flames out.

"You guys really didn't have to-"

"Relax, Minhyuk, I bought it with my own money and the kids deserve a little dessert don't they? We can't celebrate their individual birthdays so why not celebrate yours?" The strange voice from before switched on the lights and Hyungwon could finally match the face.

"You could celebrate Mark's birthday," Minhyuk muttered. "Thank you, though-Oh!" Minhyuk's eyes met Hyungwon's and he moved to stand next to the awkward boy. Hyungwon hadn't said a word since the door opened and he was still trying to process the fact it was Minhyuk's birthday.

"This is Hyungwon! We work together and naturally became friends. Hyungwon this is Jackson, Mark's boyfriend." Hyungwon snorted at Minhyuk's use of the word 'naturally' but decided to hold his tongue for the sake of Minhyuk's birthday.

It was Minhyuk's birthday.

Guilt settled at the bottom of Hyungwon's stomach again but he pretended like it wasn't there. He held out his hand for Jackson to shake but it was brushed aside and arms were wrapped around him instead. As he wrapped his arms around the other he noticed how different they were in body structure. Jackson was built and short while Hyungwon was lanky and tall.

"Handshakes are too formal. Nice to meet you Hyungwon, I've heard great things about you." A hand firmly met his back a few times before the body retreated.

"I think Minhyuk mentioned you once. Two days ago. I was wondering if Mark ran this whole thing by himself and he said that he and you help him out whenever."

"That's it??" Jackson playfully glared at Minhyuk.

"Hey no hitting the birthday boy," The blond excused, Jackson raised two fingers to his eyes before pointing them at Minhyuk.

"Tomorrow."

Mark slapped Jackson's arm which caused the male to flinch and complain, rubbing the spot Mark hit, giggles erupted around them and Hyungwon smiled. There was a tug at his leg and he looked down to see the same boy he's been waiting to see.

"Chan!" His features immediately lit up and he crouched down to match the height. "Do you still have my bracelet?"

"Yes!" The boy began digging through his sleeve and struggled to pull the string down his arm. "See?"

Sure enough, the twined material was in view and Hyungwon's smile got even brighter. "Good job. Here, you do this so it doesn't fall off" He ruffled the boy's head after tightening the string and stood to his full height again, zoning in at the point of conversation between the three adults.

"Mark it's my birthday and I want them to eat cake first," Hyungwon's eyes immediately looked towards the orphanage head and his eyebrow rose at the statement.

"Hyungwon don't you think they should eat dinner before eating cake?" He found himself nodding but several complaints came from several people and he paused. There was another tug at his leg and he crouched down again.

"Can't we eat cake first?"

"Yeah, Mister Hunwan." There was a snicker from Minhyuk and Hyungwon ignored it. Most of the kids came from the sides and began to beg for cake first, it was enough for Hyungwon to be convinced and Mark sighed at the majority.

Cheers filled the air and the kids filed into the kitchen, followed by the adults. "I'm sure they'll be fine," Hyungwon mentioned as they entered. Minhyuk and Jackson, being the ones onboard with the idea the whole time, ran off to the kitchen to cut the cake.

"So, have you thought about what I said?" They watched the kids excitedly talk to each other; about cake, Minhyuk, Jackson, or the people that came in earlier that day.

"What did you say?" Hyungwon flushed, turning his head to look at the kids near the far wall.

"You really are a bad liar," Mark laughed, "C'mon."

"...I did."

"And?" Mark leaned in forward. Hyungwon took his time replying, trying to figure out the exact words to say. Mark staring at him wasn't helping.

"I don't know." He shrugged his shoulders. His phone vibrated in his pocket and he snuck a peek, it was Kihyun's message with the video he wanted the other to find.

"You don't know?" Mark called his attention again, Hyungwon moved his lips to one side of his face and thought about his answer more.

"There's a really good chance I could hurt him, and I don't want to do that."

"That's exact proof of why you won't, because you don't want to," Mark reasoned.

"I can't control everything, Mark. Things will happen, and knowing my luck I might actually chase him away," he laughed like it was the most obvious thing in the world but Mark wasn't laughing with him.

"What might happen?" Hyungwon took a breath, held it, scanned the room, and breathed out once he met eyes with Mark again.

"Here comes the cake train!" Heads darted towards the kitchen entrance. There was a cart with several plates spaced out. Jackson was pulling the front, acting like security, Minhyuk was standing on the edge of the back, waving like a prince, and Hyungwon was waiting for the cart to flip over under his weight.

It never happened, though, and all the kids were able to get a slice with three plates left over.

"You can have it," Hyungwon motioned to Mark, "I'm pretty full."

"You know this guy's never eaten an egg sandwich?" There was a dramatic gasp coming from Jackson and Hyungwon shrunk himself, he could see some kids looking over to see why Jackson gasped.

"How did you make it?" Mark asked and Hyungwon thought about another way you could make an egg sandwich.

"My way, your guys' way is too complicated. I didn't want his first taste to be traumatizing."

"It's not even that hard!" Mark protested Minhyuk begged to differ, talking about how the egg whites always slip underneath the bread and the part they took from the middle is never used.

"You just eat it!" Jackson argued, joining in on the conversation.

"Who eats plain bread?" At the question, Hyungwon silently rose his hand and Minhyuk gave him a horrid expression.

"It's too much work to spread everything..." He trailed off. Minhyuk set his plate down on the cart and cupped his chest like he's been shot.

"Oh no!" One of the kids yelled from the table, they got up and quickly ran over to where Minhyuk was kneeling on the floor, still dramatically holding his hand over his chest. He collapsed into the arms of two children and looked up at them like it would be his last.

"Minnie, are you okay?" The little boy asked. Minhyuk shook his head, pointing to Hyungwon without looking at him. The kids looked up to Hyungwon with confusion then back down to Minhyuk.

"Did he hurt you, Minnie?" Another boy hopped up from the table they were sitting at and moved over, eyeing Hyungwon. Hyungwon began to shake his head.

"N-no I-"

"Don't lie!" Jackson threw his arm out, almost hitting his boyfriend in the process. Mark took a step back, waiting for Jackson to continue his statement. "I saw it all, with my own two eyes," he made exaggerated movements, still flailing his arms around.

"What did he do??" The kids asked at the same time, more and more continued to come over, curiously.

"He..." Minhyuk spoke up, thinking of something to say but maintaining the hurt expression. "He disobeyed me, the king, and tried to rebel. Guards!" He looked around at the children surrounding them. "Attack!" He pointed a stern finger and the children let out battle cries, running after the other

Mark moved out of the way when Hyungwon bolted and laughed when all the children followed. As Jackson and Minhyuk went after them to make sure no one gets hurt Mark stayed to watch the other kids that continued to eat their cake despite the distraction.

"Off with his head!" One of the girls screamed, Hyungwon purposely fell to the floor and allowed the small hands to throw blows. There were small hits to his neck as if they were cutting it, and fingers prodding his sides. He squirmed at the feeling and tried tickling some of the kids and it got them to stay back but some continued to be persistent.

When the amount of kids surrounding him lessened he took a deep breath only to let it out in a loud scream when stronger fingers began to attack his sides.

"Minhyuk!" He screamed when he opened his eyes long enough to recognize the person. "Wait- Minhyu-hahaha-sto-ahaha." He began to kick at the other so Minhyuk straddled him to avoid injury.

Hyungwon's laughing became silent and it took Minhyuk a few more seconds to realize the other needed to breathe to avoid passing out.

Gasping for air, he wiped his tears away and covered his sides just in case Minhyuk tried anything again. Minhyuk stood and held his hand out to help Hyungwon get up and it caused the one on the floor to flinch away.

"I won't do anything," Minhyuk held out his other hand in oath then brought it down for Hyungwon to grab. Hesitantly, Hyungwon took the hands then felt his upper body being lifted.

Taking a jab at the birthday boy's side, he stuck his tongue out when Minhyuk gave him a hurt look. "You know I could always send them after you again, or they could team up to hold you down while I tickle you. Or I hold you down while they tickle you."

"No more tickling, please. I nearly peed myself," Hyungwon's breath was still labored and his sides hurt from Minhyuk's merciless actions.

"C'mon guys, let's finish dinner, maybe we could watch a movie!" Minhyuk cheered. He brought them all to the kitchen, Jackson and Hyungwon being the last ones out.

"Hey, Hyungwon," Jackson startled the other with his sudden words but the tall one gave him attention nonetheless. "Are you and Minhyuk dating?"

Hyungwon flushed and shook his head, Jackson smirked and crossed his arms then rose an eyebrow.

"Really, we aren't. I don't think I would be good enough for Minhyuk." Hyungwon looked down at his feet.

"More like Minhyuk's not good enough for you," Jackson laughed. "You must have been a model at some point in your life, wa~y out of Minhyuk's league"

"What? Minhyuk's all outgoing and lively, he knows how to have fun and talk to people, he doesn't hide anything, wears his heart on his sleeve, he's dependable and knows how to listen and help he's-" Hyungwon cut himself off, realizing what he was about to say and the look Jackson was giving him.

"He deserves someone like him and I know that person isn't me."

"Do you like Minhyuk?" It was a simple question and both knew the answer to it but Hyungwon took a while to verbally respond. He nodded silently. It was a slow and small tilt of the head but it was a nod either way.

"Yes..."

"And Minhyuk likes you."

"How did you...?"

"He wears his heart on his sleeve right?" Jackson repeated a line from Hyungwon's previous rant and caused his cheeks to turn a bit redder. "Anyway, if you both like each other then why aren't you together?" Jackson says it like it's the simplest thing in the world.

"I-" Hyungwon started, cutting himself off and thinking of another way to tell Jackson that he still has feelings for his engaged manager.

"I don't think I'll be able to make him happy enough. All my relationships," Hyungwon made sure to add the 's' even though he's only ever dated Hoseok, "ended because they told me I wasn't responsive enough."

"But now you know you have to be more... responsive, that's a really weird word to say." Jackson's comment made the atmosphere a little lighter but Hyungwon was still thinking deeply about the topic at hand. "What I meant to say was, you know what mistakes you made and now you can avoid it."

Hyungwon didn't say anything afterward, Jackson was called into the dining room by his boyfriend but Hyungwon didn't think the kids would enjoy him looking so sad.

"Did we hurt you really bad Mister Hyungwon?" Chan's voice traveled towards his ears and he looked around to see Chan coming from the bathroom.

"Huh? No, I was just thinking." Hyungwon put on a smile but the child didn't seem to believe it.

Chan walked closer and took Hyungwon's large hand in his small one to lead him towards the couch. He sat first then patted the spot next to him for Hyungwon to sit. Hyungwon smiled for real but Chan remained serious.

Obliging to the youngers orders he sat and waited for Chan to start. "What were you thinking about?"

"I was thinking about Minhyuk,"

"Why?"

"Hm," Hyungwon wondered how he could explain the situation to the little one. "Chan, do you like candy?" The younger nodded and smiled, seeming to forget about the topic he brought on himself, "I don't have any right now, next time I'll bring you some. What's your favorite candy?"

"All of them!" Hyungwon laughed and decided another analogy would work.

"Okay, then what's your favorite dance move?" The boy immediately hopped off the couch and performed the move Hyungwon taught him the last time he was there. Blinking the shock away he gave Chan a high-five before he sat down again.

"Don't you have another one?" Hyungwon tilted his head.

"I used to like Michael Jackson's moonwalk, but it was too hard," the boy whined, " I still want to learn how to do it but Mister Hyungwon's move is easy and fun, so it's my favorite."

"Is it just your favorite because you know how to do it?" Chan thought about it for a while.

"Can I say yes and no?" Tilting his head to the side, Hyungwon nodded and ruffled his hair.

"Why is it yes and no?"

"I like it because I can do it, and it makes me happy when I can do it. But I like it because Mister Hyungwon teeched me it too."

"So if Mister Mark or Mister Minhyuk taught you would it still be your favorite?" The reply was a quick shake of the head, no hesitation.

"Mister Hyungwon makes me happy," since the chance was given, Hyungwon took it and asked, "Does that mean Mister Mark and Mister Minhyuk don't make you happy?"

"No!" Chan shook his head frantically, so much that he got dizzy and almost fell off the couch. Hyungwon was able to catch him, though, and he moved the child sideways onto his lap. "Mister Mark and Mister Minhyuk make me happy too! But Mister Hyungwon makes me happiest!"

"Why is that?" Hyungwon could hear Chan's name being called.

"Mister Hyungwon knows how to help me when I'm sad."

-

"Where did you find Chan?" Minhyuk said on their way back to Hyungwon's apartment.

"He went to the bathroom, I saw him walking down the hall and started talking to him about candy and Michael Jackson."

"Are you hungry?" Minhyuk asked out of the blue, Hyungwon guessed it was to continue the conversation.

"Not too much but I could eat, why are you hungry?"

"Just a bit, did you wanna go home?"

"No, not really." Hyungwon looked out the window and saw several plazas passing.

"Do you wanna share something? What do you want to eat?"

"You're the birthday boy, wait why...?" Minhyuk drove past all the shops and entered the parking lot of Hyungwon's apartment complex.

"I just thought it would be nice if we took a walk around instead of wasting gas, there's a convenience store not too far from here and I'm sure there'll be something to eat." Hyungwon nodded and got out of the car once it was parked. The air has been getting colder and it was seeping through the material of his sweater.

"Happy birthday, by the way. I don't think I've said that yet." Hyungwon laughed awkwardly as they walked out of the parking lot, the air turned noticeably cooler and they both shivered.

"Thanks, but I don't think my birthday's that big of a deal." Cars rushed passed them and Hyungwon found himself moving to the side of the sidewalk closest to the street.

"Why not?"

"I don't know, feels kind of cheap to have everyone treating you nicely for one day just because it's the day you were born."

"I wouldn't say that.. They're just celebrating the time you came into the world because if the day never came then you wouldn't be here."

"I still feel like it's unnecessary."

"I bet you kids born on February twenty-nine beg to differ." Hyungwon laughed and when Minhyuk slightly shoved him.

"Is something bothering you? Usually, I'm the asking those questions and you're the one answering with positivity."

"I'm just thinking," Minhyuk said, eyes cast on the sky, they couldn't see the stars but Minhyuk knew they were there.

"Thought for a thought?" Hyungwon offered, Minhyuk smirked.

"That's my line."

"I don't hear Jihoon yelling cut so it must be mine."

"You're so lame. I was just thinking about what to eat." They stopped at a crosswalk, Minhyuk pressed the button several times as if it would make a difference.

"Wow, I don't believe you at all," Hyungwon said in mock fascination, Minhyuk was still pushing the button when the light across the street signaled them to come over so he ended up pulling the blond.

"It's nothing, though, and I really was thinking about what to eat." Minhyuk brought his arm out of Hyungwon's grip and Hyungwon reached out for Minhyuk's arm as he continued to walk but stopped himself and decided to walk faster to catch up.

"Minhyuk, you're acting way different than you usually do. What's on your mind?"

"It's nothing."

"It can't be nothing if it's bothering you."

"It's stupid then."

"I'd still like to know," Hyungwon persisted.

"I'm conflicted," Minhyuk admitted, it wasn't much but they were getting somewhere.

"On what to eat?" Minhyuk nodded and entered the store. Hyungwon watched him move to the isle of ramen cups.

"Let's say I want this ramen. It's the same flavor as the one all the way down the isle but the one down the isle is somewhat healthier and better for me." Hyungwon focused on the ramen bag then nodded, locking eyes with Minhyuk.

"Now, I could go over there to get the ramen but this one is right," he emphasized the direction, "here, but the other one is healthier right?" Hyungwon looked down the isle again then nodded to Minhyuk.

"I don't know if I should walk over there and get that ramen or if I should just take this one and risk the chance of feeling sick later."

"You won't get too sick when was the last time-" At Minhyuk's sigh of frustration Hyungwon finally understood that Minhyuk wasn't talking about ramen. The ramen was put back in its place and Minhyuk began to make his way down the aisle again but this time, Hyungwon didn't stop his arm from extending all the way out and latching onto Minhyuk's.

"I think we should get this ramen. We're already here anyway. I'm pretty sure you won't feel bad after."

"And if I do?"

"Then I'll nurse you back to health." Hyungwon meant it as a joke but his smile faltered when Minhyuk gave him a look of hesitance.

"How are you so sure you'll be able to do that?"

"I promise I'll try my hardest."

"You promise?" Hyungwon swallowed his spit, he had an idea of what Minhyuk was hinting towards but he felt it was better to answer the question verbally than with actions.

"Yes."

"Then can I ask you something?" Minhyuk walked back towards Hyungwon, looking down at the floor, he didn't try to take Hyungwon's hand off his arm.

"Go ahead," Hyungwon's voice was quiet like they were about to share a secret.

Minhyuk looked up after he mumbled something, Hyungwon wasn't sure if he heard it right but he trusted his ears and complied.

His hand moved from Minhyuk's arm up to his chin to tilt it just the slightest. His other arm maneuvered itself around Minhyuk, bringing him closer by the inch. He looked into Minhyuk's eyes for a brief moment and when they began to close he did the same, leaning down at the same time.

He heard his heartbeat pumping blood to his ears and he was sure Minhyuk could feel it with his hands gripping his shirt so hard. He slowly moved his head back, hands keeping Minhyuk in place.

"Feeling sick?"

"It depends," Minhyuk sounded winded despite the fact they were just standing there. Their eyes were still connected and frankly, Minhyuk was feeling a little dizzy. Hyungwon raised a brow, encouraging him to continue.

"What happens now?" Minhyuk's eyes moved from Hyungwon's eyes to Hyungwon's lips, then back to Hyungwon's eyes in less than a second.

Hyungwon answered with another kiss.