Gone Bad

"Pretending"

Pain began to nestle in his lower back as he continued to wait for his ringtone to finish repeating itself. The time had passed painfully slow like the world was taunting him, silence he was once acquainted with was unwelcoming, and cold air seeped down to his bones yet he remained stationary.

Only when another hour passed did he relieve his body of the physical pain caused from remaining still. Grunting with his palm trying to force his floorings down to the apartment below, it only lifted his upper body enough for his legs to bend after the long hours of staring at his toes.

His ringtone started up again, he had guessed it was Kihyun. If he ended it, Kihyun would have continued to call until he answered, if he answered it, he would be forced to talk and he was sure he could skip out on the pestering. The cell phone continued to ring despite his wills, so eventually, he got up to handle the shrieking alarm.

By the third ring he canceled the call and turned the device off, the silence remained unwelcoming but he ignored it and brought his covers up to his bed. He resisted the urge to bring the sheets closer to his nose than needed, he knew there would still be a faint trace of Minhyuk, just thinking about it made him realize how he was abandoned once again. Shaking the thoughts from his head he threw the load into his washroom and scuffled over to the bathroom.

Washing the sadness from every place but his eyes, he stared at himself in the mirror and lifted the corners of his mouth, squinting slightly to make the smile seem more sincere. The tips twitched slightly and something about the shape of his eyes was off, trying to squint them more made it seem painful instead of gleeful.

How did he think Kihyun fell for it?

Dropping his head between his shoulders for a moment he tried to forget about Minhyuk, what did he do before he met Minhyuk? Groaning at the answer he didn't have enough energy to change the linens so he headed towards the closet to pull out a suitcase.

-

Minhyuk stood in front of the door, his hand reached out to hold the knob, but couldn't find it in himself to turn it. He continued to stare at the silver handle. He raised his hand to knock but stopped it before any contact was made. His hand opened and closed repeatedly, he touched the surface lightly and when he felt tears prick his eyes he took a step back before turning.

The way down the hallway was haunting, thoughts continuously occupied with Hyungwon's lack of response to the news.

He had just... let him go...

He had understood he put himself into the situation but could not understand why he had walked out, why it took him so long to answer Hyungwon's questions, why he hadn't tried to go back into the apartment, why he had chosen Hongbin. Hyungwon's words, his calm, pitying words, rang through his head and he slumped against the wall of the elevator once the doors shut, too emotionally drained to try and suppress the thoughts invading his mind.

He could imagine them starting their relationship as strangers again, Hyungwon's lifeless eyes would come back and the pained smile forced as if it were the only way Hyungwon would be able to show any signs of contempt.

He remembered the day he first met Hyungwon, the confused look on his face as he tried to find his new co-stars, the wave of shock that coursed throughout his body when Minhyuk had appeared, he wasn't the most open person, making Minhyuk wonder why he had offered to hand out the scripts in the first place. He could feel the same amount of fondness he experienced back then when Hyungwon had revealed exactly how nervous he was by tripping over his own feet and coming close to dropping the papers.

He remembered the first time he met Kihyun, and how Hyungwon's eyes immediately focused on him with a longing expression, despite the playful atmosphere he brought. He remembered the look on Hyungwon's face when he realized Kihyun had actually gone off without him and wondered just how hurt Hyungwon was at the moment.

He remembered the look on Hyungwon's face as he confessed his feelings for Kihyun, the dejected feeling cracking holes into the make-shift mask of obliviousness from the denial he had tried to put on for everyone. 

He remembered how monotone Hyungwon had been as he shared the stories of his childhood, Minhyuk remembered how dry Hyungwon's eyes were, similar to the dryness of the day's previous events. He found it hard to swallow when he realized he had gone so far for Hyungwon to trust him, but he did what Hyungwon believes everyone does and left.

He had contemplated stopping the elevator, pretending it would stall the situation as well, maybe even bring himself back up to the higher floors but the pain in his throat told him it was over and he didn't know what he would do if he saw Hyungwon again.

His phone rang in his pocket, and for a moment he let his hopes climb but felt them fall back when the name didn't belong to the person of his thoughts. Nevertheless, he cleared his throat and nasal cavity before answering with the levelest voice he could manage.

"What's wrong?" He let out a soft laugh, classic Jooheon, there was a distinct noise on the other side and he mentally sighed knowing Changkyun was with the other.

"I'm fine," he said before immediately making a face, he didn't even sound convincing to himself but Jooheon knew better than to ask what happened over the phone, instead he left Minhyuk to listen to a quiet discussion with Changkyun before inviting him over to play Overwatch. With the corners of his mouth tilted up the slightest, he thanked them and found some courage to press a floor.

Back inside the silence, after the call ended, he wondered who Hyungwon would seek comfort in. 

-

"Sorry, we're- Hyungwon." The waiter almost dropped the tray of dishes when he saw the man standing there.

"Uh... Are you busy? Because I could just-" Hyungwon extended his arm behind him to grab back onto the door.

"No! You can stay..." There was a moment of tense silence and Hyungwon was about to finish his way out the door but Hoseok continued. "I'll give these to my co-workers. It'll be a second." Hyungwon turned his heels and changed his weight from the balls of his feet to his heels as he waited.

When Hoseok came back, his apron was off and he was wearing the same outfit Hyungwon would see him wearing during their dates, snug jeans, and a hoodie. "So... What brings you here?"

Hyungwon looked up at the ceiling, feeling his eyes begin to burn again, "Uh... I need a ride somewhere."

After nodding, Hoseok asked, "Is there a reason - not that I'm declining - but, why me?"

"I-" he started then closed his mouth, trying to figure out how to word his situation without giving away the actual events. "You're the only person I know that Kihyun wouldn't suspect." He waited for the reply and was about to take back the favor when Hoseok accepted it.

"There's a catch." Hyungwon nodded he had anticipated the statement. "You have to tell me why." Hyungwon closed his eyes for a moment and nodded, opening them in a final confirmation.

"Lemme get my keys and clock-out." Hyungwon headed back outside and stood by his abandoned suitcase. For himself, he had a suitcase with clothes that would last him a week and the essential belongings one would need in a home. He was planning on donating the rest of his clothes, he only wore most of the others when Kihyun told him to.

"Do you need any suits?" He asked right as Hoseok walked out to join him, Hyungwon stared innocently as he received a confused look in return. "Oh," his face grew hot realizing the random question. "I, uh, have suits that... I'm not gonna use so I thought, you know... would... want... some?" He made small gestures towards one of his cases.

Hoseok shook his head and chuckled, taking some of the bags and leading Hyungwon towards his car. "No offense, but I don't think I'll fit any of your suits." He unlocked his car and precisely placed everything inside so everything could be kept in the back.

"So," Hyungwon looked up from his phone when Hoseok began his question, the engine was warming up and Hyungwon shivered slightly from the change in temperature coming from the vents in the car. "What happened?"

"Minhyuk left," he stated without hesitation, feeling his cheeks heat up and eyes suddenly feel dry.

Hoseok nodded, humming then finally starting the car, Hyungwon let out a breath a the focus was diverted from him.

"Kihyun?" Hyungwon pursed his lips, feeling a little awkward since Wonho wasn't invited to the wedding.

"He has Shownu, can't bother him with something like this, they're happy."

"Kihyun worries about you, you know, he's gonna freak out once you're gone."

"He's probably panicking, thinking I'm dead right now."

"He hasn't called you?"

"Turned my phone off." Hoseok nodded again, maneuvering towards the freeway entrances. "Which way?"

"Oh, uhm, could we go somewhere first? There are actually some people I want to say goodbye to." He gestured towards the closest one and Hoseok nodded, signaling to the right.

"Since you're leaving..." another question started, "Does that mean you really are over Kihyun?"

"I think..." Hyungwon started, sighing which caused a small part of the window to fog up, 'I think I'm giving up.' "I think I've been over him for a while and just didn't notice." He tapped his fingers on the armrest, surprising himself at how level he was with the situation.

"How are... you and your girlfriend?" He brought up awkwardly, thinking about the chances of surviving the jump he could take out of the car. He heard Hoseok laugh softly and he recognized the undertone almost immediately.

"She broke up with me a few days after the fair, I saw it coming, though. I was trying to win her over before she could make the decision."

"Wh- sorry." Hyungwon stopped mid-question, realizing it would have been rude to ask.

"Why?" Hoseok laughed again and Hyungwon told him to take the next exit. "It's fine, she said I was too distant, I can't really say anything,"

"You think it's true?"

"I can see how she did... It's better this way, it's not entirely wrong."

"You like someone else?"

"Yeah but... It's kind of hard to imagine myself with the person I like. Somehow, they're always in love with a person that isn't me." Hyungwon stayed silent, thinking Hoseok wouldn't want to talk about it anymore.

"Turn here," He said in a soft tone, Hoseok hadn't heard and missed. Hyungwon pressed his lips together before informing his driver. When they were back on the correct path Hyungwon was at a loss for words, silently wondering to himself what Kihyun would do when he finds out.

He looked at his phone and thought about turning it on, just to calm Kihyun's worries, but telling him about the situation would lead to Kihyun trying to convince him to stay. He could imagine the conversation as if it were actually happening, Kihyun would bring up memories then proclaim Hyungwon is needed. He would explain how Hyungwon would be able to get over it, probably try to set him up with someone else again.

"How did you meet Kihyun, again?"

"Through Hyunwoo, we went to the gym together."

"Do you stay in touch?"

"On occasion."

"He doesn't go to the gym anymore?"

"There are days, but not as often as before, training and everything," Hyungwon nodded, recalling Hyunwoo's new job.

"So... You two are still close?"

"I won't tell him, even if he beats me to a pulp," Hoseok stated, answering the question Hyungwon would have asked next.

"...Thank you," Hyungwon twiddled his thumbs trying to ignore the wonder building up in his brain. The idea refused to leave his mind and he found himself asking, "Do you like Hyunwoo?" Hoseok laughed so hard he had to slow down so he wouldn't crash into anything.

"As a friend, I love Hyunwoo as a friend, I care about him and his wellbeing a lot, but I could never romantically imagine myself with him." He wiped the tears of laughter away, reminding Hyungwon to direct him as they continued then asked, "What made you ask?"

"Just... Wondering, I was thinking about how Kihyun set us up and how, if I did stay, he would have done it again- Not with you-" he added quickly and Hoseok let out a laugh through his nose, "but blind dates and everything. Turn here, then the first right."

As the car stopped and they waited for the light to change green, Hyungwon watched two birds fly together in the sky, they circled together and landed on the telephone wires. Soon enough, more birds came.

There was a horn going off behind them that caused all the wings to send them away. The car jerked forward and the back of Hyungwon's head met the rest of his seat. There was a light apology from Hoseok but Hyungwon dismissed it, trying to rid his mind of the thoughts beginning to crowd. Pushing the tears back, he pointed to the upcoming parking lot.

With a shaky breath, Hyungwon looked at the brick building. He thought about why he had come, now thinking it was a foolish idea. It was a simple bracelet, and he was sure his mother would recognize him without it. He was about to tell Hoseok to start the car again but there was a conversation going on.

"Why would he just leave?" Hoseok gave Hyungwon a look that told him he was the topic of conversation.

"Minhyuk broke up with him?" Hyungwon closed his eyes and shook his head, Hoseok nodded and started his car again. "I don't know where he could be, the last time I saw him, he was with Minhyuk."

Hyungwon pictured the white hair, it was so soft. He looked down at his hands and could almost feel the dyed locks.

"Hyunwoo I'm not doing that, it's wrong"

Hyungwon curled his fingers the same way they would around Minhyuk's, he could almost imagine the thumb rubbing over his knuckles.

"You wouldn't know, Kihyun loves you back."

He clenched his fists as the tears began again, he could feel them being wiped away, he could feel Minhyuk kissing them, he could hear the blond saying everything would be okay and he bit his lip.

"Just because they aren't together doesn't mean they don't love the other - if Kihyun broke up with you- what?"

Hyungwon had let a sob slip through his teeth, he covered his mouth as more tears fell. All he was thinking of was the fact they needed to leave, Hyungwon needed to get away from everything.

"Oh, they found him? Where?" Hyungwon's eyes widened and he looked out the window to see Jackson on the phone. He knows Kihyun and Hyunwoo?

Hyungwon looked back to Hoseok and touched the gear shift, letting him know he wanted to leave. Hoseok put his hand over Hyungwon's, asking him if he was sure without making a noise. Hyungwon nodded quickly and looked back to where Jackson was standing. Now Mark was with him, on the phone.

He knew what was coming next, yet he couldn't bring himself to look away. The first thing he saw was a hand, reaching out to grab Mark's. And he bit his lip when he could see the bracelet securely around it. The face turned and made eye-contact, Hyungwon's lip quivered and he felt sick.

He turned away, hiding his face but it was too late, he could hear the screams of protest, Mark was holding him back. Knowing he would regret it, he still brought his gaze up.

Chan's tears were running down his face, other hand reaching out. "Go," he said quietly, voice cracking as Chan was pulled back. He looked up at Mark, who simply stared and continued to talk to the person on the other end of the phone.

"Please." He said again, and the car pulled out of the lot, Hyungwon's eyes were connected to Mark's the entire time, both pairs holding a look of sorrow and confusion.

Why was Hyungwon leaving?

Why was Mark letting him

-

The first thing Minhyuk did when he got to Jooheon's house was faceplant into his couch, uncaring about greetings and politeness. He had driven through surprising prior afternoon traffic and had thirty minutes of silence to himself, all he really wanted to do was pass out and wake up once he's dead.

He felt a hand on his shoulder and he sighed taking his time to actually move with the action and face the two, "I messed up," he said immediately. Pushing the hands away to sit up and cup his face in his own. He pressed the heels of his palms into the sockets of his eyes until he could see colors then let go.

There was a hand on his back again, "That guy doesn't-" Minhyuk whipped his head around so fast, grabbing the front of Changkyun's shirt, daring him to finish his sentence. Jooheon pulled at his arms but he wouldn't budge.

"Minhyuk calm-"

"Don't tell me to calm down! Don't finish that sentence." Seething, he slowly let go of Changkyun's front and sat back, pinching the bridge of his nose. Changkyun looked to Jooheon questioningly but the other shrugged, they sat staring at the blond, jumping when he spoke again.

"I left him, he's not the one that doesn't deserve me, it's me who doesn't deserve him. I messed up and I'm an idiot."

"You're right about the last part," Changkyun tried to lighten the mood but only received a glare and a shove from Jooheon, "But what you did might not have been that bad, why don't you just go back?"

"He doesn't want me back." Minhyuk said bitterly, "He gave me a chance, to stay, you know, but I just... I didn't and I really, really wish I had."

"Why didn't you?" It was Jooheon's question and Minhyuk couldn't find it in himself to look at him.

"H....Hong-"

"Oh hell no--Minhyuk-"

"I know okay! I just thought, if I would see him, then I could end it, but-" He gripped his hair again, "Hyungwon... Hyungwon said some things that I couldn't disagree with and I don't know but I thought it would be better if I just left but- he was so... done, it was like he knew I was going to leave and- and he didn't try to stop me- why didn't he try to stop me?"

The other two in the room remained silent as Minhyuk did his best to hide his sobs. Minhyuk was left alone for a while, Changkyun and Jooheon having to go to work, with the unneeded task of watching their apartment. He rummaged through their fridge, not feeling all that hungry, just trying to find something to keep his mind off Hyungwon but the questions continued to repeat, like an alarm he would constantly set to snooze.

Why didn't you stay?

I thought Hyungwon didn't want me to.

If he had thought that, why were you given an option?

...

Why didn't Hyungwon try to stop you?

...

Would it have done anything?

Maybe.

Would you have regretted if you hadn't gone?

I'm regretting leaving.

If you returned now would Hyungwon take you back?

I hope so.

Are you going to go?

...Y-

There was a ringing coming from the living room and he slowly walked over, to check who it was, heart dropping before speeding up when he realized it was Kihyun.

"Kihyun?" He said, a bit more urgently than he would like.

"Is Hyungwon with you?" The voice was irritated with a hint of worry and Minhyuk swallowed the lump in his throat before answering.

"Why?"

"He's not answering his phone, I think he has it off but I need to ask him about-"

"He's not answering his phone?"

"So he's not with you." Minhyuk felt the chill of Kihyun's realization. "Hyungwon doesn't answer the phone on a good day but he never turns it off- Minhyuk..." the voice was a warning.

"Minhyuk," the voice came again and he could feel the tears pricking the back of his eyes. "What happened?"

"I..." he blinked rapidly, "I-we-brokeup" he said quickly but he hadn't heard another sound from Kihyun before the line went dead. Standing for a moment he almost dropped his phone when his phone rang again, without bothering to check he answered and began to apologize. "I'm really sorry-"

"News is you and the other broke up, today if I may add, I just wanted to say-"

Minhyuk hung up before any more words could be said and blocked the number. He couldn't believe he was about to go back to him, he couldn't believe he had let him in after this long, he can't believe he hurt Hyungwon because of him. Grabbing his keys he made his way to his car.

-

"He's not here," Kihyun's words held no sympathy, in fact, it sliced through him mercilessly and Minhyuk knew he deserved it.

"Kihyun I-"

"I trusted you- no- Hyungwon trusted you and you leave him just like that-" Minhyuk didn't bother hiding his flinch as Kihyun drove the blade deeper.

"It's not like he was trying to get me to stay-" He tried to defend.

"You know about his past, you get tired of chasing after people."

"Then you're just as equal to blame." As soon as the words came out of his mouth there were hands on him, gripping his shirt and he waited for a fist to make an impact on his jaw but there was another stopping it from happening.

"I stayed with him- I've been there for him all this time-"

"You knew he was in love with you but you dated him." Minhyuk gestured to Hyunwoo.

"I wasn't the one that courted him then dipped-"

"Enough."

Hyunwoo's voice wasn't at all loud but it was stern enough to get the attention of the two. "Fighting about the reason he's gone isn't helping anyone here, where would Hyungwon go?"

Minhyuk and Kihyun were silent for a good while and Hyunwoo sighed, "If you guys-"

"Mark." Minhyuk had said, he pulled out his phone and dialed the number, tapping his foot and nervously his lips from the stares Kihyun and Hyunwoo were giving him.

"Mark! Mark is Hyungwon there?"

"No, why? Is he coming over?"Jackson's voice answered, "I'm already here so you guys don't really need to stop by but I think the kids would appreciate the extra company, especially Chan." Minhyuk cursed under his breath looking away from the glare beginning to form in Kihyun's eyes.

"A-are you sure? He left and the orphanage is really the only place I thought he would go." Kihyun refused the let up his glare, and Minhyuk wished Hyunwoo would get off his phone to tell his fiance to lay off.

"He's here." Mark's voice knocked the wind out of him.

"What?!"

"He's here but I don't think they're staying, we're kind of just staring at each other now."

"They- who's with him?"

"I don't know, he's wearing a hoodie, and he has blond hair and he's talking on the phone with someone. Hyungwon looks... Sad Minhyuk did you really?" Minhyuk's eyes flicked towards Hyunwoo and he could see Kihyun's eyebrow lift at the motion.

"Can you follow them?"

"No."

"Mark-"

"Chan saw him, if I follow him I have to bring Chan, which makes the other kids want to go too, we can't follow them Minhyuk." He imagined Chan, and how well he and Hyungwon had gotten along, the joy on the child's face when Hyungwon was there with him, all the times he would be asked if the tall man came with him or was on the way.

"Tell them I'm coming over, I'll watch them. Please, just follow him I-"

"We can't, Minhyuk by the time we get all of the kids to agree it'll be too late, and I'm pretty sure Hyungwon doesn't want us following him."

"You don't understand I can't just let him go, I can't let him leave."

'I need him to know I came back.'

But does he want you back? He thought about who the other person in the car could be and he could faintly remember a face.

"I'm sorry Minhyuk."

"Me too," And the line went dead. He stayed silent as Hyunwoo finished his phone call and just as the call ended he questioned him. "Who was that?"

"A friend of mine, he used to know Hyungwon, I thought that maybe Hyungwon would have gone with him, but he said the last time he saw Hyungwon was when you two were together"

"I want a name," what he needed was a confirmation.

"Why do we-"

"Kihyun," Hyunwoo scolded, giving him a look before answering, "Hoseok."

-

A week later Minhyuk found his fist inches away from making contact with Hoseok's face for the fifth time. When his fist met a cheek and there still wasn't any resistance he relaxed his other hand to let go of the shirt. Hoseok spit out all the fluid in his mouth, grimacing at the red color and slowly began to fix his clothes.

"Where'd you bring him?" Minhyuk tried again, expecting the response he got.

Hoseok wiped his lips with the back of his hand and observed the color for a second before shrugging, remaining silent.

"Hoseok."

"I brought him somewhere he wouldn't be able to see any of us."

"But you know where he is."

"I do." Minhyuk took a step forward and reached for the stained shirt again, his hand hesitated for a moment as their eyes locked. Hoseok waiting for the pain to come and Minhyuk willing himself to calm down.

"Why you?" The question came out harsher than intended and both males flinched. Minhyuk's eyes immediately softened and at the same time, Hoseok's darkened. Minhyuk found his foot retreating slightly when he noticed the fists clenched at the other's sides.

"He said I was the only person Kihyun wouldn't think of." For once, Hoseok took Minhyuk's hands off of him and stepped back.

Minhyuk had spent the week trying to find Hyungwon, asking his mom to contact any press or media, even though a week is barely enough to find a missing person without his phone--which he found out was canceled. He knew Kihyun was having Shownu check the files he could without risking his job. He had done some searching himself, though his skills were merely enough to get old pictures which would have been a good story on Hyungwon's part.

"Why are you looking for him? He told me you left him." The last three words were like a knife and he felt his rage return to drive it in deeper. Spending the past seven days trying to find Hyungwon Minhyuk had come to a few conclusions.

He could only blame himself for Hyungwon leaving.

Hyungwon only left him because he walked out of the door.

He still loved Hyungwon.

And he didn't need anyone else reminding him of the first two statements he wouldn't let himself forget.

"Why are you doing this? You cheated on him." It was a low blow and Minhyuk wasn't proud of it, especially not when Hoseok returned the shot unaffectedly.

"The same reason you're trying to find him, and you can't call it cheating when the other person never returns your feelings."

"If you had feelings for him, why'd you go out with someone else?" He heard Hoseok sigh through grit teeth and watched him shut his eyes for a couple of moments before relaxing his fists. When they met eyes Hoseok's glare was cold. 

"Not all of us can easily get under the skins of others," Hoseok started, taking Minhyuk aback at the accusation. Pleased with the reaction, Hoseok continued, "I felt like a burden, to make it seem like he had to force his feelings for Kihyun onto me when he was trying to cope with it. So I gave him a reason to break up with me. Though, if I knew a little persistence could pay off, I would have stayed and we wouldn't be in the situation we are now, would we?"

"You left him." Minhyuk's voice lacked its vice and he could feel his eyes begin to sting. He knew it was obvious and for a moment he thought Hoseok would stop there, help him in the smallest way he could by giving him the closure that comes with having the last word.

But who would want to help a person who hurt the one you loved?

"Because he didn't want me there." The unspoken statement was louder than the words that had been, it was there and Minhyuk couldn't come up with a proper response. When Hoseok passed him to finally end the small meeting, it was like a haunting echo Minhyuk wished he blocked out.

'But he wanted you to stay, and you didn't.'

-

Hoseok hissed at the burn as he disinfected the wounds on his face, trying to relax his facial muscles he finished up before looking for the extra phone Hyungwon had bought him for contact.

Finding it on his counter he contemplated the effects of pressing call, Hyungwon had said it was for emergencies, like Kihyun and Hyunwoo's wedding.

"Hello? Is everything alright?" The voice came from the small phone and Hoseok jumped.

"Oh, I didn't mean to call, I was thinking about it and-"

"Hoseok, are you okay?" Hyungwon's voice was calm but knowing how well he was good at acting, Hoseok wished there would be at least a small sign to know Hyungwon wasn't suppressing it.

"I'm fine, sorry. Just shaken up. Minhyuk came and found me-" He had thought he heard something on the other side of the line but silence was speaking.

"Minhyuk came to see me and he wanted to know where you were."

There was more silence and Hoseok gulped, wondering if his next few words would be beneficial or not.

"I think you should come back." The sound of a call ending resounded through the room but Hoseok simply called again.

After being sent to voicemail six times he let the tone go through before saying, "Hyungwon, if you don't call me back in the next five minutes, I'm going to personally take Kihyun, Hyunwoo, and Minhyuk, and bring them to you."

He started the timer and dialed Hyunwoo's number on his own phone, thumb hovering over the call as he watched the other.

Two minutes passed and Hoseok had to keep himself from calling again, he had erased Hyunwoo's number from his cellphone after the first thirty seconds, nervously switching between old text messages and social media before a ring went through the air.

"What?" He was expecting irritation, but not the sharp intake of breath that followed afterward.

"They're all looking for you, you know."

"They'll find me soon enough, Kihyun's good at doing that, plus Hyunwoo's a cop now and-" The sentence was never finished.

"If they're going to find you, then why don't you make it easier on everyone and come back already?"

"I'm already here, Hoseok. It'd be a waste if I just went back."

"It's a waste for you to be there and handle things on your own when there are people here that are worrying about you."

"Tell them I'm fine. I'm fine, Hoseok."

"Minhyuk isn't."

"Minhyuk left-"

"He left because he thought you wanted him to."

"How do you know that? You weren't even there."

"Because-" Hoseok stopped himself for a second, trying to think of another logical explanation. "Because he told me, today. When he came to meet me he told me."

"Bull."

"Hyungwon!" He hissed at the cut on his lip reopening. "Fine, I was lying about Minhyuk telling me but I know that's what he was thinking. Hyungwon, when you think people leave you, you shut them out instead of trying to hold onto them. It makes them think you don't want them there anymore."

Nothing came from the other side and Hoseok had to double check to make sure Hyungwon was still listening. "Like, Hyunwoo, I'm friends with him so this time he actually did tell me -- when he first met you he thought you hated him. Maybe you did because he was dating Kihyun but Hyungwon he thought it was more than just a little jealousy. I know you and you don't hold grudges like that, you wanted to be friends with him but kept at a distance because you thought he would leave you."

"Hyungwon I've seen all the things you do for them both and then shut down when they tried to thank you and get closer. I'm just glad Kihyun saw through it as much as I did. Like that time Hyunwoo almost locked himself out of his own house but you made sure to give the key to Kihyun but then said you had to leave when they invited you back in. Or when you got that spot for him at a dancing competition but left before you could congratulate him."

"I got close to him eventually."

"After, like, two years and he still thinks you hate him, he tells me sometimes."

"That's only one person." And Hoseok knew he wouldn't be able to keep it in anymore.

"It happened with me too, Hyungwon, but I only noticed today."

"What do you-"

"Just listen for a moment," he took a deep breath, "I love you, Hyungwon, and I know for a fact you're still in love with Minhyuk so I'm not trying to hit on you or anything but hear me out."

"When I first met you, like, saw you, after hearing about what you were like from Kihyun and hearing small stories about you when he would be hanging out with Hyunwoo and me, I fell in love--pretty stupid, yeah? Don't answer."

"Anyway, I tried to be there for you, get closer, because you weren't anything like what Kihyun described you as at the time. You weren't clumsy, you didn't laugh a lot and I thought it was because you were shy, but it was because you thought I was going to leave, so you saw no use in getting close to me."

Hyungwon stayed silent and Hoseok felt his heart drop when he didn't hear the slightest sounds of remorse. "When Minhyuk visited me today, he said some things that made me realize you were wishing I would have stuck around all along."

"What did he say?" Hoseok blinked at the question, the voice was soft and broke at parts, he swallowed before continuing.

"He said I left you, and I did, but it was because I thought you didn't want me around. You never wanted to go on dates, you would cancel our plans to hang out with Kihyun, and I don't blame you one bit, but if I had only known you wanted me to try harder, I would have stayed Hyungwon. I would have-"

'I would have been able to make you happier than Minhyuk did'

But Hoseok couldn't say that -- he couldn't trick Hyungwon into liking him again and make himself seem better than Minhyuk, because he did cheat, and Minhyuk just messed up.

"I would have." He finished. Hyungwon was still listening so he decided to finish the call.

"Don't let Minhyuk think the same thing, Hyungwon, you make each other happy and it was nice to see you smile again, you look at him the same way you looked at Kihyun when we were dating, you know."

He was about to end the call but stopped himself once more to say goodbye.

"You don't have to keep paying for this phone, if I still haven't convinced you to come back, then I think it's best if you don't have something to hold you back. As long as you have this, you'll be confused."

"Hoseok." Hyungwon's voice came through just as his thumb made it's way down, "I'm sorry."

Hoseok didn't know exactly what Hyungwon was apologizing for, for pushing him away, for wasting his car gas, for making him suffer, for not loving him back, but Hoseok didn't think it was needed.

"I'm sorry too."

He was sorry for not trying hard enough, for cheating, for wasting his money on the phone, and for loving him.

"I hope I'll see you back in the restaurant soon," he said and his heart felt lighter when he heard a bittersweet laugh followed by a sniffle.

"Me too. Thank you."

Hoseok tried to ignore about how much he wished the call had ended in 'I love you' instead.