Nostalgia

"Pretending"

Heavy eyelids opened for a moment and Hyungwon realized how cold he was, the covers had him inside a cocoon but his other source of heat the night before was absent and he silently prayed he didn't imagine everything.

His worries were calmed when the sound of his toilet flushing down the hall reached his ears and footsteps became evident as his company returned to bed.

He heard Minhyuk sigh as he got back into the covers, shivering slightly from how different the temperatures were, having his eyes closed he tried to guess whether Minhyuk was facing him or not. He feigned a groan and roll as a test and his cover was dropped when he was met with nothing.

"You really at acting," Minhyuk's voice came from a little farther, "Good morning."

Hyungwon let one of his eyelids raise at the greeting, and the sight in front of him was enough encouragement for the other lid to follow. Minhyuk had his head propped on top of his hand and his elbow created elevation for the resting spot. Hyungwon could feel Minhyuk's other hand searching for his and they met halfway. With their fingers laced, Hyungwon responded with a tight squeeze and a lazy smile.

"Coffee?" Minhyuk asked, unlacing their fingers to trace the lines on Hyungwon's palm absently. Hyungwon waited for a moment, almost drifting back to sleep enjoying the feeling of Minhyuk being there with him. After another five seconds, he finally nodded and his warmth was once again gone.

Needing another distraction so his brain could get used to functioning, he checked his phone, checking old messages. Seeing a link Kihyun sent a while ago, he changed the position of his phone to landscape and pressed play.

The opening was a logo and he wondered why Kihyun sent it to him but as the screen changed from the introduction to the actual content a conversation he barely remembered came to mind and grin plastered itself on Hyungwon's face.

The first thing he noticed was the fact Minhyuk was wearing sunglasses in one shot but none in another, raising his eyebrow at the thought of Minhyuk performing it twice. He couldn't keep a small laugh from coming out of his mouth when Minhyuk began to sing. His voice was higher than he usually spoke and Hyungwon reasoned with his age.

He forced his eyes open no matter how much they wanted to look away from the amount of cringe. Keeping his eyes on the past version of his boyfriend he couldn't watch any longer as the glasses were taken off. He threw the phone to another part of the bed but ended up crawling back, wondering what he would do next.

Cutting Minhyuk a bit of slack from the way he was able to move his hips it was only given back when Minhyuk moved towards the runway to hold the mic out to the crowd. Being unable to take anymore he broke into hysterics and the same person he was laughing at came into the room with a worried expression.

"What are you-" Minhyuk heard the familiar noise of a video he's been taunted about too many times. "How did you even find that??"

Hyungwon tried to answer right away but every time he opened his mouth all that could be understood was the sound of "hahahaha"

Minhyuk grabbed a pillow and immediately brought it down onto Hyungwon's open-mouthed face. The latter watched the pillow come closer to his face, giggles creating a late reaction to the slight harm he was about to receive. The pillow was held in place for a while, Minhyuk let up only when Hyungwon's legs began to thrash beneath him.

Heavy breathing resounded through the room and Hyungwon opened his eyes only to grin but held his arms up in front of his face when he saw the pillow raise again. "Okay, okay! I'm done." The pillow returned to the bed without any malice but got picked up again rather harshly when Hyungwon sighed shakily.

Struggling to hold Minhyuk's arms away from him and keeping them still so the pillow wouldn't cut off his breathing again, he apologized with more laughter.

Eventually, Minhyuk gave up and threw the pillow away, ripping his arms out of Hyungwon's grasp to storm out of the room only to have his wrist brought in the other direction and the rest of his body going the wrong way. Hyungwon's arms wrapped around him, keeping him still throughout the struggling.

"I like it," Hyungwon's voice was steadier than it would have been before but it didn't stop Minhyuk from throwing his elbow back in attempts to hit the younger. "I really do! You're cute," Hyungwon continued, burying his face in Minhyuk's neck in attempts to calm him down.

"Shut up, who showed you?"

"I asked Kihyun to find the video after you told me about it," Hyungwon tried to find Minhyuk's hands to lace their fingers together, Minhyuk put up a fight, holding his hands in fists but eventually giving in with a sigh.

"I'm killing whoever gave him the link in the first place, I think it was Mark." Glad the anger was off of him, he maintained his grip, hoping to spare Mark a lecture.

"If it does end up being Mark, remind me to thank him," Hyungwon tried to lighten the mood but Minhyuk wasn't having it, hating the video with every fiber of his body.

"Whatever, let go so we could eat breakfast, we have to be at Kihyun's by six,"

Letting go and rolling to face the ceiling, Hyungwon asked, "What time is it now?"

"It's around twelve, but we haven't eaten anything nor do we have a gift and someone I know tends to take forever to get ready." Hyungwon could feel the weight shift on the bed and tilted his head to the side so he could watch Minhyuk head back towards the kitchen. Facing the ceiling again, his eyes began to close and his mouth remained upturned for a second longer before he yawned and sat up.

-

"Are you really going to get them that? It's their engagement party Hyungwon."

"You don't understand, Kihyun has this weird thing with pepper spray, he'd love this." Hyungwon smiled down at the artificial pepper spray keychains.

"What about Hyunwoo?" Minhyuk scanned the aisle again, spotting a small basket in the corner before giving his attention to Hyungwon again.

"Hyunwoo's always happy with whatever Kihyun's happy with," Hyungwon turned the keychains over to make sure of the price before.

"We should still get something that he'd like. Is there anything you can think of?" Hyungwon shook his head slowly.

"He's you best friend's boyfriend, wait no, your best friend's soon to be husband, and you can't think of one thing the guy likes?" Hyungwon flailed his arms in defense.

"Hey it's not like we're buddy-buddy, at least not anymore. I've practically been avoiding the guy for the past four years. The only thing I remember is that he loves working out." Minhyuk rolled his eyes, taking another look around the store.

There wasn't too much, it was a cute craft store with two sections, machine made and hand made. There weren't any couple items in the latter, and it takes at least a week for a customized craft to be done, so he knew it would be best if they bought something from the other side. Either way, he wasn't going to just let Hyungwon give them keychains.

"Do you think they would like this?" He walked over to a hand-weaved basket and picked it up to check the price on the bottom. It wasn't too bad, thirty, and it was a good size as well. He held it out for Hyungwon to inspect as he looked for novelties to fill it with.

"Wait Kihyun likes cooking right?" Minhyuk turned to see Hyungwon right behind him. He looked up as Hyungwon nodded then took a step back to take the basket and set it back down.

"We should make it in a pot then. C'mon, I know exactly where we'll be buying everything. With an excited Minhyuk dragging him back out the door he suddenly dug his heels into the ground, effectively pulling Minhyuk back into his chest.

"Can we get the keychains?" Hyungwon begged like a child. Minhyuk looked up from his stance before nodding and letting go of the younger.

"I'll bring the car up."

-

"Hey," the two males huffed out at the same time, holding one handle each. Kihyun stood amused at the sight for a while before letting them in. There were already a few people there, Hyungwon recognized some of them as he and Minhyuk made their way to where the rest of the presents were set.

Once their arms were relieved of the heavy load Hyungwon gasped and shook them out in hopes he wouldn't get a cramp, he spotted Minhyuk doing the same but felt embarrassed as it wasn't that exaggerated.

Seeing the color on Hyungwon's cheeks Minhyuk smirked and pat Hyungwon's shoulder as he made his way towards the food, waving to strangers he didn't know on his way. Hyungwon watched him in disbelief before giving his attention to the woman walking up to him.

"Mrs. Yoo, nice to see you again, it's been a while."

"How are you, Hyungwon?" She asked after their extended hug. "Is that who I think it is?" Hyungwon blushed and rubbed the back of his head.

"Yeah, it's Minhyuk, he's one of my co-actors, we met during the filming of my most recent show-"

"He's even more handsome in person, you've got a good one Hyungwon, he's known for being an honest actor." She tipped the end of the glass she was holding in the direction of the blond. Feeling eyes on him, Minhyuk looked up from his plate and waved with a smile, Kihyun's mom laughed gently, moving her fingers away from the glass then bringing them back a couple of times in a response.

"What do you mean, by an honest actor?" Hyungwon asked, turning his head back around.

"He keeps his acting life and personal life separate, very humble. Everyone wants to manage him, even I asked him and he rejected me. Yet he keeps us as friends, a small tease but very friendly."

"Minhyuk doesn't have a manager?" The woman shook her head, earrings, chiming gently.

"He's self-managed, for now anyway, I heard Hongbin's back in town and-"

"Mom!" Kihyun's voice came from somewhere and the woman turned to see her son waving her over.

"Sorry Hyungwon, you know how Kihyun gets so I'll be off. I like what you did with your hair, by the way." She ruffled it then left before Kihyun had another chance of calling her.

"Hey there, aren't you going to eat?" Minhyuk bumped the side of Hyungwon's hips with his own, smiling with a chicken wing between his teeth. Hyungwon looked back at the kitchen, there were several people simply chatting and knowing himself he would end up dropping the food.

"Maybe later. Don't you want to sit down?" Hyungwon asked, watching Minhyuk struggle, only slightly, to hold his drink and scoop noodles into his mouth at the same time. Hyungwon reached and held the drink for him then began walking towards a room he knew wouldn't be as crowded.

There were still people, but he saw two open seats on the couch so he stuck with his original plan and made his way over. When they sat he watched two other occupants in the room play billiards as Minhyuk ate. The table was moved towards the center of the room and after paying attention to who was actually playing he realized how familiar they were.

"Jooheon and Changkyun?" He mumbled to himself, Minhyuk seemed to hear and hummed in agreement as he finished his bite of food. "I was surprised too, I'm guessing Hyunwoo invited them, I always see them talking when Hyunwoo comes to set not glued to Kihyun's side." Hyungwon nodded and continued to watch them.

After Minhyuk left to throw his food away he came back and approached the two playing, challenging Jooheon to a game. Hyungwon couldn't hear what Minhyuk said to Changkyun over the noise in the other room but it caused an offended face to appear and he couldn't keep himself from snickering. Minhyuk gave Changkyun a pat on the shoulder and sent him on his way to sit next to Hyungwon.

"Hey, how are you with him? He's a jerk," Changkyun whined, plopping himself down on the couch in a child-like manner. Hyungwon smiled and touched his shoulder in comfort.

"Is he good?" Hyungwon asked, watching Minhyuk laugh at something Jooheon said. Changkyun made a dismissing sound and shooed away an imaginary fly.

"Nah, he -" There was a small crack as the cue ball hit the formed triangle the rest of the colored spheres spread away, a solid one falling into the top right corner. Changkyun coughed and looked away, Hyungwon laughed at the comment.

"It was just a lucky-" another crack sounded throughout the room as Minhyuk got another solid into the hole.

"Whatever," Changkyun stood and made his way towards the kitchen, grumbling to himself about how much of a jerk Minhyuk is. A loud complaint was heard and Jooheon looked relieved, finally able to take a shot himself, only to miss out of overconfidence. A presence was felt at his side and he turned to find his best friend sitting and watching.

"Did you invite them?" Hyungwon pointed to Jooheon then gestured to the kitchen. Kihyun looked at the two, craning his neck to see the latter.

"Oh, no, but they're friends with Hyunwoo, they told me they're getting him to dance later, you and him should do something together." Hyungwon made a face and eyed Kihyun with disapproval. Kihyun took his time to actually acknowledge the look, slowly turning his attention from the players to the person sitting next to him.

"Aw c'mon Hyungwon, please, birthday gift?"

"If you want a birthday gift you could just take my money now." Hyungwon rolled his eyes but stood anyway, Kihyun would just ask again.

"Do you have a song in mind?" Kihyun thought about all the songs he knew, after shaking his head, Hyungwon turned his heels to find the husband.

-

"Where have you been this whole time and why are you so sweaty?" Minhyuk stood from the couch where he was watching with Changkyun to follow Hyungwon towards the cooler for a water bottle.

Hyungwon downed at least half the bottle and took deep breaths before capping it and answering with, "You'll see soon, I'll be back, I have to make sure it's decent." He set the bottle in Minhyuk's hands before walking off but returned to make direct eye contact and demand Minhyuk to stay put and not follow him.

Breaking the rule with his eyes, Minhyuk saw Jooheon in the same state coming down to grab two bottles then heading back in the direction he came from. Keeping Hyungwon to his word he grabbed a bottle himself and walked back over to Changkyun.

"Ow, what the-" Minhyuk laughed and threw the bottle into Changkyun's lap, causing the surprised male to close up from the cool feeling.

A few minutes later, Changkyun got revenge and held the bottle up to Minhyuk's neck. Before Minhyuk could one-up the other, sounds of people cheering came from the game room pulling their attention and their bodies to see what the event was.

The pool table was moved against a wall to create more space and Hyunwoo was fiddling with the stereo, pressing something on his phone and shocking everyone to silence when the bass from the song shook the entire room.

Minhyuk and Changkyun managed to squeeze their way through the crowd in time to see Kihyun giving a short introduction for the three now standing in the corner. Minhyuk waved to Hyungwon and tilted his head in question. Hyungwon nodded with a shy smile and blushed when Minhyuk beamed.

When Kihyun finished and the cheers erupted Hyunwoo tried to quiet them with motions before starting the music. As the rhythm played Minhyuk watched in fascination as Hyungwon's whole demeanor changed from shy to confident, he even winked at Minhyuk on the way to his spot.

As the song played, Minhyuk found himself mouthing the lyrics and blushing as Hyungwon made it his duty to maintain a smirk and eye-contact with his boyfriend as much as possible.  Minhyuk broke it for a moment, catching Kihyun's eyes and blushing more from the look on the host's face. He covered his mouth with his hand and kept his eyes on Jooheon, only to have them drifting back to his point of interest.

Regret about standing to the side bloomed because he should have known the dancers were going to use a move that allowed Hyungwon to point directly at him as the lyrics went, "If you're y and you know it" and ultimately make his face go red.

As the song slowed the slightest, the three moved around in a short freestyle moment and Hyungwon continued to paint red onto Minhyuk's cheeks for the rest of the song by opening his arms wide as he spun, spotting the blond all the while. As the rest of the dance went by, Hyungwon kept up his act and Minhyuk mentally cursed him for it.

When the song finally ended, cheers erupted throughout the house and Kihyun ran up to hug Hyunwoo with a red face, apparently, Hyunwoo was doing the same thing. Checking Changkyun's expression, he laughed when the other feigned passing out.

He saw Hyungwon's shadow looming over him and he looked up as if Hyungwon hadn't done anything the whole time. "It was alright," he commented, failing to hold in his smile.

"Shut up I saw your blush, all, 'Oh Hyungwon's so hot and dreamy,'" He laughed and brought Minhyuk into a hug when he tried to walk away from the teasing.

"I sound nothing like that..." He avoided any possibilities of Hyungwon seeing his face but couldn't help and ask, "Did you make that up just now? Like, today?" He felt Hyungwon shake his head.

"Hyunwoo and I had that planned for Kihyun's birthday one time but we never got to perform, we just taught Jooheon."

"Why'd you add Jooheon?"

"He was the one that wanted Hyunwoo to dance, which led to Kihyun wanting me to dance, so we made him dance. He learns fast."

-

"Do you think anyone at the party took a video of you guys dancing?" Minhyuk asked before Hyungwon could fall asleep completely. They were facing each other but Hyungwon couldn't see the smile forming on Minhyuk's face after he asked the question.

"...Yeah... But I don't... Know who would..." Hyungwon's body began to relax and another question came from Minhyuk's mouth.

"Do you think Kihyun filmed it since he knew?" Minhyuk watched as eyebrows came together again and eyelids twitched, trying to open but failing completely.

"...Maybe..." Eyebrows grew further apart and Minhyuk controlled a laugh before calling his boyfriend's name for fun.

"Hyungwon?"

There wasn't a response.

"Hyungwon-"

"Shhh," Hyungwon slurred sleepily, moving so Minhyuk's face would be in his chest, making it unable for the blond to speak anymore.

-

When Hyungwon woke up it was still dark out, he turned over carefully, making sure Minhyuk wouldn't wake up, to check the time and sighed at himself when he saw it was only three in the morning. He returned to his previous position, making sure the cover was still covering both of them after he adjusted it.

A few moments later one of their phones began to ring and he thought about letting it give out on its own but Minhyuk stirred so he reached towards the nightstand to end it.

When the ringing came back he grabbed it off the stand, briefly read the name to see if it was someone one of them knew, then answered it.

"Hello?" He asked groggily, making his way out the door so Minhyuk wouldn't wake up.

"Is Minhyuk there?" Hyungwon rubbed his eyes and slumped against the wall.

"He's sleeping, call back in the-" Hyungwon yawned, bringing the phone away from his ear for a second, "morning."

"Who is this, if I may ask?"

"Hhhnnn, Hyungwon," the taller stretched, waking up more than he would like to so early in the morning.

"Oh, you're his boyfriend, right?" The question was asked with a bit of vice and Hyungwon took the phone away from his ear to check the name again.

'Hongbin'

"Yes, and you are?" He tried to sound more awake but if he did he didn't think he would be able to sleep again afterward.

"Hongbin, his ex-boyfriend." Hyungwon blinked for a second, then another.

Hyungwon swallowed, clenching his hands into a fist and standing up a little straighter.

"What do you want with Minhyuk?" He knew how angry he sounded and how much it fed into the guy's ego but remembering how Minhyuk's mother described this guy put a bad feeling in his stomach.

"Nothing, I just want to talk to him, catch up. I've been gone for a while and we were really close before I left."

"How do you know Minhyuk wants to talk to you?"

"What did Minhyuk say when he told you about me?"

"Minhyuk didn't- answer my question."

"So he didn't tell you about me?" There was laughing on the other end of the line and Hyungwon gritted his teeth.

Hyungwon would have countered the question if there wasn't the sound of a door creaking and a sleeping Minhyuk appearing, hugging himself trying to create protection from the cool air seeping underneath his skin.

"Hyungwon? What are you doing?"

"It's just a call," he said a little too quickly, hoping Minhyuk wouldn't be awake enough to catch it.

"Oh... With who?" Minhyuk rubbed his eyes. Hyungwon willed that Minhyuk was still sleepy enough to look over his lie.

"Kihyun." Minhyuk stood for a little longer, eyes basically closed and stance so relaxed a breeze would knock him over if one came.

"Okay..." When the door finally closed he checked the call progress then brought the device to his ear.

"What's there to hide... Hyungwon?" Hyungwon in a breath but remained quite, he wasn't sure his voice would be level if he spoke. "Tell you what," Hongbin's voice came through before he hit end. "If you ask Minhyuk about me tomorrow, and he doesn't talk about us dating, he's coming to talk to me." With the statement, the call ended.

-

Minhyuk woke up and Hyungwon was hugging his torso like it was the only thing he knew. He smiled at the younger, running his fingers through black strands, jumping slightly when a phone went off. Realizing it was his, he removed Hyungwon's hands from his person and got up to answer it.

"Yes?"

"Minhyuk!" A voice came from the other side, Minhyuk blinked for a moment.

"Who is this?"

"Minhyuk," the voice said a little more serious.

"Oh sorry, I was just so surprised because it's not every day you get a call from someone who wanted you to forget about them."

"Look- I'm sorry- can we talk? I need to explain, I'll explain everything. I'm at the coffee house right now and I'll be here till twelve." Minhyuk checked the time, 8:36. He sighed and looked up to Hyungwon's bedroom, feeling something in his chest telling him he shouldn't go.

"We'll see," he said into the speaker before hanging up. Running his hands through his hair he tried to think clearly.

He told himself he was over the other, that he was happy with Hyungwon, he's happy with Hyungwon.

He's happy with Hyungwon.

He's happy with Hyungwon and that is true.

It's true.

But the feelings he thought he buried for Hongbin had just resurfaced.

And Hongbin was offering a conversation. He knew exactly what they'd be talking about and exactly how he was going to react to it.

He leaned over the counter. He was so sure he was over Hongbin, he hadn't even thought of the other the past few months, ever since he's started liking Hyungwon. But now that he's back, suddenly his mind was clouded with memories. Hongbin's laugh, his playful teasing, his gifts, his passion for games, the way he taught Minhyuk to play, the deal...

He closed his eyes and counted to ten. Hyungwon is his boyfriend, Hyungwon liked him, Hyungwon lets him do whatever he wants, he was sleeping with Hyungwon just a few minutes ago, the night before Hyungwon practically danced for him.

Hyungwon was everything Hongbin wasn't, Hyungwon was so much better than Hongbin but he's thinking of the possibilities of the latter actually wanting him back?

With perfect timing, right before he was able to let out a groan of frustration, Hyungwon made his way out of his own bedroom to join Minhyuk at the counter, he dragged his covers with him, pulling them around his shoulders to keep himself warm.

"What're you doing awake so early?" He hid his face in a wing he made with the blankets to yawn.

"Same reason you were awake earlier, what did Kihyun want?" He stood to make coffee, unable to look Hyungwon in the eye.

To Hyungwon's benefit, he felt the same, looking down at the counter and tracing some of the marble patterns with his finger. "Nothing..."

'If you ask Minhyuk about me tomorrow, and he doesn't talk about us dating, he's coming to talk to me'

"Minhyuk?"

"Hm?" Minhyuk played with the machine, trying to make sure there was enough water and grinds to make an average amount of coffee for the both of them.

"Why don't you have a manager?" Minhyuk tilted his head, keeping his hands busy so his hesitance wasn't obvious. Hyungwon mentally cursed for messing up the question.

"I know what's best for myself, I don't think I need one." Blankets shuffled behind him and he heard a soft "oh" come from Hyungwon. "Why?" The coffee began to brew and the thinned his lips into a line, taking a deep breath before turning to face Hyungwon.

"Uh... Kihyun's mom... She's a manager, one of the reasons Kihyun became mine, but anyway, she was talking about how you don't have a manager but everyone wants to manage you so I was just..." he took in a breath of air as he realized he was rambling then calmly finished, "wondering."

"No offense to Kihyun and his mom but I'm done with managers, I had one for a while but he only got me jobs he wanted me to do." He watched a frown form on Hyungwon's lips, "What are you worried about?"

Hyungwon's eyes held fear and Minhyuk's reflected the emotion right back. The silence dared for unspoken questions to be asked, and the command grew stronger with every second. Pressing his lips together Hyungwon asked with his eyes.

'Can I?'

Minhyuk sighed with his eyes closed and Hyungwon was left staring.

"His name's Hongbin." Hyungwon nodded slowly, lips still firmly pressed together, he watched Minhyuk move to play with the coffee machine more. "He-" his voice faltered and Hyungwon thought of saying something but he held it in.

'If he doesn't talk about us dating, he's coming to talk to me'

"I... Was in the same situation as you," he shrugged and made a small gesture to Hyungwon, "before, and so being me I told him." Hyungwon nodded even though Minhyuk wouldn't see.

Something in Hyungwon's heart sank, Minhyuk didn't say it, he didn't say Hongbin was his boyfriend, not exactly.

"He kind of... Tested it? I guess, but-" He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair, looking up at the ceiling with wet eyes. Clearing his throat he continued, "he told me to act as if we were only actor and manager, which is what we were,"

Hyungwon took in a sharp breath, 'which is what we were.'

"But-" he stopped and mirrored Hyungwon, pressing his lips together. He couldn't say it.

Hyungwon welcomed the silence, it was like time stopped for a moment, he could tell himself Minhyuk was going to say it, he would say it. But minutes passed, every one was like a slap of reality and Hyungwon found himself laughing.

Minhyuk's still in love with Hongbin.

"Today?" He asked. Minhyuk blinked, "You're meeting him today. When?" Disbelief was clear in Hyungwon's sarcastic tone and Minhyuk furrowed his brow in worry.

"How did you..."

"The call I answered last night was on your phone, and it was him."

"..." The coffee machine came to a stop and Hyungwon welcomed the silence again, staring at the counter.

The sound of the cabinets creaking open was equivalent to the sound of Jihoon yelling cut. He was in love with Kihyun, he got adopted. Hoseok started going out with him. He met Minhyuk.

The sound of coffee being poured into a cup was the same as the bell ringing to signal everyone to take a break. Kihyun's in love with Hyunwoo. People die, Hoseok cheated on him. Minhyuk loves Hongbin.

The sight of the mug in front of him was like Hyungwon finally getting back to reality. Everyone's leaving him, and he can't do anything about it.

He took the cup and sipped on the bitter drink, eyes downcast and dry. They stayed like that for a while, Minhyuk nervously watching Hyungwon's reaction, bothered by the small smile placed there, like he's finally realized the joke everyone continues to tell him.

"Hyungwon-" he stopped at the movement of a finger.

"Did you date him?" Minhyuk swallowed.

Hyungwon waited for the answer, heart breaking with every second that passed.

He nodded to himself and took another sip of the coffee.

Minhyuk stayed silent. "I knew it."

"Hyungwon, don't-" his eyes burned and he reached out but he froze when Hyungwon hummed.

"Don't what? You don't want me to ask you to stay? You don't want me to freak out? You want me to do nothing as you go back to the person who broke your heart? If you don't want me to then I won't," Hyungwon shrugged, taking another sip.

Minhyuk was expecting Hyungwon to yell, expecting Hyungwon to be outraged.

Why wasn't he outraged?

"He broke your heart, and you're forgiving him for it." He laughed and finally met Minhyuk's eyes.

"No, it wasn't like that..." Minhyuk shook his head. Hyungwon raised his brow.

"Can you look me in the eye and honestly say you don't have feelings for him anymore? That you don't know what would happen if you met him? That you would go there and come back with all ties cut off?" Hyungwon looked down again, coffee suddenly tasting a lot bitter than before.

"I'm not expecting you to change your mind but I'll tell you now it won't end up how you want it to."

"Why are you so calm?" Minhyuk whispered. Hyungwon snorted at Minhyuk's attempt to avoid the question.

"People leave, Minhyuk, you learn when it happens to you enough." He examined the dirt underneath his fingertips.

"You're supposed to be mad," Minhyuk started, eyes blurring from frustration. "You're supposed to be begging me to stay, tell me not to go, convince me to change my mind." Minhyuk fisted his hands at his sides when Hyungwon showed more interest in the mug of coffee. "You're supposed to care."

"If I did, do you think it would stop you?" Minhyuk bit his lip at the argument, feeling a tear slip down his cheek.

"If I got down on my knees, tears in my eyes, and pleaded for you to stay, would you? If I gave you everything would it make you want me more?" Hyungwon was mocking him now, feeding the guilt in his stomach.

"If I guarded the door to make sure you wouldn't leave would you stop thinking about him? Do you think I would be able to change your mind because honestly I-" He stopped when he heard a sob.

He didn't know what hurt more, knowing the answer to the question, or Hyungwon knowing too.  

Minhyuk wiped the tears away, Hyungwon watched in silence, finishing his drink as Minhyuk tried to stop the guilt from running down his cheeks. Once he finally caught his breath Hyungwon continued. "Wanna know what Hongbin told me?" At his voice, new tears replaced the ones that were wiped away.

Hyungwon mentally laughed, replaced, funny word. "Actually," he started.

"Remember the ramen we ate?" Minhyuk let out a small sound, Hyungwon didn't know if it was a signal for, 'Yes I do remember' or if it was Minhyuk's way of asking him to stop.

"Yeah, the one at the convenience store, before we got together." Hyungwon didn't even flinch when Minhyuk let out a sob. "I think you should have chosen the other one, I think that if you did," Hyungwon stood and walked over to the door. 

"I think that if you chose the other one, this stomach ache would have been a lot less painful." He turned the knob and opened it, waiting for Minhyuk to move.

Minhyuk looked between the hallway wall and Hyungwon several times before slipping his shoes on without a sound. He looked up into Hyungwon's eyes one last time, hoping to find something to keep him.

There was nothing. He averted his gaze down and stepped out, Hyungwon closed it not a second later with a bang quieter than the sound of a pin dropping but at the same time louder than a bullhorn going off in front of their faces.

With Minhyuk on the other side, Hyungwon brought his back to the door gently, so Minhyuk wouldn't be able to hear if he was still there. With closed eyes, he exhaled as his legs bent and he was able to sit.

If Minhyuk had continued to stare a second longer, he would have seen Hyungwon break yet they both knew it wouldn't have stopped him from going to see Hongbin.

"Minhyuk..." He whispered to himself, gripping his knees, letting out the words he's held in the entire conversation, "I love you."