Chapter 17

Nemesis mimesis (I love you when you're not looking)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

Minho jumped slightly in his seat when he heard the door to the room open. He turned around, surprised to see Jonghyun come in. "Professor McGonagall already let you go? I thought your detention was going to last a bloody week or something, you totally ruined the classroom."

"Shush, it wasn't even that bad. She probably waved her wand a few times and all the mess was gone." Jonghyun sniffed around and then wrinkled his nose. "What is that smell?"

"Your potion, what else. I took a shower but didn't feel like taking my clothes to the laundry. So they're right here, stinking."

Suddenly Jonghyun was grateful professor McGonagall had performed some sort of cleaning spell on both him and Jonghyun before their detention. He plopped down onto his bed and glanced at the quite thick pile of parchment sheets lying on the desk next to his friend. "What are you doing?"

Minho raised his eyebrows, wondering if Jonghyun was seriously asking him this. "What do you mean what I'm doing. I'm finishing my Potions report. It's due tomorrow."

Jonghyun's face paled, his mouth parting slightly as the realization dawned on him. "Oh god."

"Don't tell me you forgot." Jonghyun lowered his gaze guiltily and Minho gasped. "Merlin, you totally did! I reminded you about this like 5 times last week, what the heck Jonghyun?"

"I know." Jonghyun groaned and then pouted. "But back then I thought I still had time and then I just forgot..."

"Wait a second. You mean you didn't even start writing it? Bloody hell..."

"I know..." Jonghyun fiddled with his fingers and then looked up at his friend pleadingly. Minho's eyes locked with his and that was all it took for the other boy to understand what that look meant.

Minho rolled his eyes and then sighed before going back to work. "Fine, I'll let you copy mine. But if the professor notices our reports seem alike I'm going to say you stole my report and copied it without my consent."

Jonghyun jumped up from his bed and flung his arms around Minho's neck, giving him a tight back hug. "Thank you, you're the best!"

"You bet."

Jonghyun grabbed everything Minho managed to write until now and then sat down at his own desk. Both of the boys had been working diligently barely for a few minutes when Jonghyun put his quill down. "Minho?"

"Yeah?"

Jonghyun cleared his throat, hesitantly turning around to look at his friend's back. He took a few slow breaths before speaking with a slightly uncertain voice. "Knowing everything you know, with everything you heard from Kibum and stuff...do you..." he his lips " ...do you really think Jinki likes me back?"

Minho kept writing, unfazed. "Are you trying to procrastinate? You really can't afford that right now Jonghyun. Besides it hasn't even been 10 minutes since you started writing."

"He apologized to me today, you know." Jonghyun continued, as if he hadn't heard Minho at all. "He said he had thought I came up with that whole Joon plan to hurt him. And that he hadn't known it was me until that day when he asked me to go to the ball with him."

Minho smiled under his nose and turned around. "And?" He asked encouragingly.

"And... I'm, kind of..." Jonghyun halted for a second, searching for the right words. "...considering willing to want to believe him."

"Considering willing to want to believe him you say." Minho repeated amused.

Jonghyun nodded with a serious face. "Yes, that's correct."

"Well... If you're putting it like that..." Minho grinned and crossed his arms over his chest. "I do think he likes you back. But it would be best if you heard it from him. You said he apologized to you. Did he stop at that? He didn't confess?"

Jonghyun nodded.

Minho shrugged. "He missed a great chance if you ask me."

"I don't think he wants to confess at all." Jonghyun nibbled on his bottom lip, his gaze traveling downwards. "When he apologized he said he wasn't doing it to get my forgiveness. He just wanted me to know that he was sorry and that he regretted everything he had done."

"So basically he just assumed he had no chance to get you back and had given up on you. He's probably scared to confess because he's sure you'd just reject him." Minho sighed and looked at his friend. "Would you?"

"What?"

"Reject him if he confessed."

It was Jonghyun's turn to shrug. It was meant to look indifferent but his cheeks were dusted with pink, his heart beating restlessly in his ribcage. Just thinking about it, about Jinki confessing to him, wanting to do it, made him feel shivery, excited.

Minho observed the boy for a moment before speaking again. "You should probably figure things out you know. With the way things are right now I don't think he's going to confess so if you want this to go anywhere you need to take the first step. At least show him he's got a chance, show him that you're interested." It didn't seem like Jonghyun was going to answer so he continued. "And you better not take forever, the semester's ending soon. Oh, and the ball-"

"I'm not going."

Minho's brows furrowed. "What? Why?"

Jonghyun shrugged again. "What's the point if I don't have a date? Being a wallflower doesn't sound like much fun, does it?"

"Want to go with me then?"

"Don't be ridiculous. You're dating Kibum, if I were him and you'd try to pull a number like that I'd bloody dump you on the spot."

"Good that we're not together anymore then."

Jonghyun blinked a few times and then strained his ears. "What?"

"We broke up. Today, actually." Minho said matter-of-factly.

"What?" Jonghyun repeated dumbly and then shook off the shock, his eyes wide and demanding explanations. "What happened?"

"Nothing much. We were gonna do it, you know, have . And we were so into it, practically ripping each other's clothes off and stuff. But as we went on it just all started to cool off? It got to a point where I was hovering over him and we were just staring at each other, feeling totally awkward and wondering what in the world we were doing. It's kind of hard to explain but we both just knew at that moment that we were not supposed to be having with each other. I got off him and we talked it out, decided to break it off."

Jonghyun gawked at Minho, his jaw slightly slack. "That's... that's just bizarre. You guys started dating like a few days ago, you were going to have bloody  and just went 'nope' in the middle of it?"

"Yeah, pretty much." Minho agreed, twirling the quill with his fingers. "But it's not that weird if you think about it. I'm not into guys and neither is he. So the weird thing was that we felt attracted to each other. I'm still pretty sure he's my soul mate though."

"Uh." Jonghyun stared at his friend, feeling like this conversation was robbing him off his brain cells. He really couldn't wrap his head around this story.

"We really didn't get to spend that much time together yet but I feel like I've known him for ages. I really like him and I love spending time with him. And I guess at first we both got overwhelmed with how well we fit, because we do, in all ways possible. So we mistook that as attraction but once all that steam went down we realized it was all platonic."

Now that, Jonghyun understood. "Blimey. So, are you... okay? I mean, I feel like it's a shame things didn't work out between you two."

"I'm fine, it's not like I got my heart broken or anything, it was all mutual." Minho smiled. "We're just going to stay out of each other's pants, as long as he doesn't want to break off the friendship as well I'm totally happy." he slapped his thighs. "So! The ball?"

Jonghyun looked down at his knees, scratching at the trousers with his index finger. "I don't know Minho... Wouldn't you rather ask some girl to go with you? I don't want to ruin the ball for you just because I'm a loser without a date."

"Are you kidding? I'd choose you over any girl, any time."

Jonghyun pursed his lips and then turned around towards his desk before Minho could see his eyes getting glossy. "You ." he muttered and picked up his quill in pretense of going back to work.

"Are you crying?" Minho and his ways of reading Jonghyun like an open book. "Merlin, you are! You're such a sap mate." Minho laughed wholeheartedly and stood up from his seat to ruffle Jonghyun's hair affectionately.

"Shut it. You're the one who said you'd choose me over any girl."

Minho smiled warml

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter