6. A Promise

The Flaws of Emotion (TFE)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Confrontation is terrifying. It is proven very well by my own best friend as she asks ton of questions to me during our short meet up in the cafe to which I evades most of them by being aloof and pretending not to hear her questions. She grumps, harrumphed throughout our conversation and in the end give up from finding more since I was being very tight-lipped on my situation with Kyungsoo. After being aware of his presence in the café, it caused me to be uncomfortable with each minute passing by when Lea prods me on the nature of our relationship. I can feel Kyungsoo's eyes burning holes through my head. I feel the sense of urgency to flee from the café with her direct question to which I finally shuts her down on bringing the topic to the table by an excuse of a lecture I really need to go. Saying goodbyes afterwards made me feels a tiny bit guilty upon seeing her disappointed face at my lack of cooperation as a friend on sharing my secret.

But as much as I want to say what had been on my mind on the situation with Kyungsoo, I’m still struggling to come in terms of what exactly bound our current relationship thus leads me to restrain myself from spilling them to Lea. I need to know the real reason of his behaviour to me plus sorting out my feelings on him doing that. Sighing in relief after escaping from my persistent friend and Kyungsoo's burning gaze which follows my every movement in the cafe, I make a journey to the library to pick up a new book to read after the last one finished a day ago in a hope the book will distract me from this messy emotions.

Reading off the name plate stuck on top of every bookshelf indicating their content based on book titles, I found the section I want and starts to browse among the selection. The bookshelves are arranged alphabetically; I inspect the bookshelves with title M and scan the rows finding the book I want.

Feeling the spine of every book with my fingertips, I scanned the second row of the shelf since the book is not found on the first one. Mouthing the name of each book I see to search for the one, I follow every book visible until my eyes landed on the familiar book and I smile in excitement. I extend my hand to grab the book, only a second too late as another hand takes the book first. Caught by surprise with an unexpected presence of someone else, I look back to the person only to frown in return. The person I was accustomed to since I see him almost every day no matter day or night. After spending a lot of time with him, I had recognized the subtle vanilla scent from him to which I sigh upon seeing his face.

“Kyungsoo, what are you doing here?” raising my brows in suspicion, I watch his mouth forms a smile. He had been smiling awfully a lot whenever I meet him and that is one of his unusual behaviour lately. The gentle smile replaced his signature smirk and the fact that he looks attractive with the smile throws me off with my own thinking.

“To read,” he states the obvious, swaying the books on his hand as if to make it clearer. 

“You could try a different book. I have been looking for that one,” I try to grab the book from his grasp but he pulls them back. 

“But I got this first so it’s my rights to have it,” he remarks with a playful grin. I’m slowly getting annoyed by his action.

“I aimed for it first so I deserve to have it,” I close the gap between us in attempt to seize the book from him but he’s faster and hides the book behind his back. 

“You can have it when I finish reading it,” he says nonchalantly. My mouth lets out a scoff, unbelievable in my fate for being teased by him again. I know I’m being childish right now but I badly wanted to read the book he is holding now since beside thinking about him, that book had been in my mind  a lot these days. Wait, did I just think about Kyungsoo again even when he is in front of me? Ugh, my head hurts just from thinking. I better grab the book fast and escape here away from him as soon as possible because being so close with him makes me dizzy.

“Just give me the book, Kyungsoo. I'm going to die out of curiosity if I didn't read it now,” I state in a stern voice, stomping my feet impatiently. He chuckles, showing a charming smile. He probably find my behaviour ridiculous but looking at his defenseless state, I decided to try getting the book by taking a step closer to him.

While he is too busy laughing at me, I sneakily tries to grab the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter