10. The Knock in My Heart

The Flaws of Emotion (TFE)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When the sunlight hits directly on my face, I wake up instantaneously. I can feel the warmth it provides. Out of reflex, I stretch my arms out to relieve the ache crawling all over my body. Lying on the floor make my back hurts and I didn’t get much sleep due to the hard floor. I have always avoided sleeping on the floor because of my back pain but certain someone had prevented me from sleeping on the comfy bed. Also, being extremely conscious of Kyungsoo sleeping on my bed had made me unable to get a proper wink throughout the night. I stare ahead to the open window, not wanting to avert my eyes to the right where Kyungsoo is probably still sleeping. It’s a strong feeling I get but I don’t dare turn my head because I’m afraid of what I will be greeted with. But no matter how much time passes, I still don’t hear any sound besides the low and soft laughter from downstairs.

Curious, I brave myself to look beside me where my bed is and saw Kyungsoo’s facing me. What caught me by surprise is that his eyes are open and they look directly at me. I froze after seeing him. He didn’t say anything but merely stares at me making eye contact so intense, I can almost feel the tingles at the back of my head. He turns his head first, pushing his body up and swing his legs down off the bed without making any sound.

I sigh quietly, relieved the intense staring competition we have before is finally over and I have to calm myself down by clenching my fist. I stare down at my lap., letting my hair falls down to cover my face.

“Good morning,” his deep voice travelled to my ears. “Morning,” I replied him stiffly.

Not wanting to show him how awkward this is, I start to move and fold the makeshift bed. While I was folding the blanket, his presence beside me startled me so much, I squeak unexpectedly. How can he move so quietly? He was folding the blanket with me with his hand holding the other side of the quilt. He chuckles softly, smirk at me when I glare at him. My face turn red out of embarrassment because he was being so playful even in the morning and especially in my room.

“Stop doing that,” I tell him, pulling the blanket away from him and finish the folding.

“Stop what?” he pretend to be clueless.

“Take me by surprise every single time. Just don’t do that, Kyungsoo,” I muttered, while putting away all of the stuff into my closet making sure they were placed neatly.

“Why can’t I, Hanna?” he spoke, I shivered when he said my name so easily as if it’s the most easiest word he ever utter. He sounded serious.

AFter closing the closet door, I lean on it crossing my arms on my chest and sigh. He resumed sitting on my bed. His messy hair momentarily distracted me and I feel my heart flips inside but I regain my composure by closing my eyes for a moment. Opening them, I look at him straight.

“Look, you and me aren’t even good friends. And it feels uncomfortable every time you did that. I don’t know what you are expecting from me and I don’t want to know even if you want to tell me,” I cut him off when he try to say something,”this situation is getting out of hand, I mean it’s not normal for two grown up adult who aren’t even in a relationship to be sharing the same room or b-bed,” I stuttered. I get that he cannot sleep and he have been nightmares for a long time but the thing that I don’t understand the most is why he seeks me. Is it because I was the closest person he can find since we basically lives near each other or is there more? My head is already a confused mess after the first two nights we spend together and I starting to doubt my feelings towards him. Is it hatred, fear or something else entirely?

“I think it’s best if you sto-,” I want to stay stop coming into my room when Kyungsoo cuts me off abruptly.

“Well, we can start by being friends right, then it will not be a problem if I come to your room,” he smiles not even bothered with anything I said to him a while ago. He leans backwards, his hands supporting his body besides him as he looks at me. The way he stares at me is something I can’t never get used to, it was as if he can see deep into my soul and it’s the reason why I used to always avoid him but since nowadays we meet each other more often, I can’t even run away.

I want to open my mouth again to defend what I said before but then he sigh, his eyes were downcast and the usual joking demeanor disappeared for a short while before he resume a smirk. I stop myself from voicing out because I was too stunned by the change.

“You said I was stubborn but you are more stubborn than me. I want to know you more, it isn't that hard to understand, yeah?” he ruffles his hair before standing up.

“Why would you? I hat-, I don’t like you,” I backtrack my words of saying hate since it feels off to say that out loud when he probably knows that I did hate him at some point but now I don’t know.

“Maybe we can change that perception you have of me by having a lunch together. It’s on me. What do you say?” I contemplates in hesitation.

“Hanna, a simple lunch won’t hurt right?” he steps forward to me slowly. There he goes again, calling my name softly sending a jolt all over my body.

“I know but just one lunch won’t change anything, Kyungsoo. Maybe it’s time for you to stop acting like this and we can resume to our normal life and also you are making me confus-,” I starts to ramble, coming up with excuses just to avoid him and the more I talk, the more I feel his burning gaze at me as he inches closer.

He stops so close to me, maybe too close for my comfort as his body basically trap me from moving away from the closet. I gasp in surprise when he looks down at me, his gaze changes from the tender gaze he had before. He place his hands on the closet on both side effectively trapping me in. My body tensed up with such close proximity, his breath can be felt on my face. I glare at him as I uncrossed my arms.

“What do you think you are doing?” I tried to push him back but he was too strong. “Do Kyungsoo,” my voice goes slightly high with a warning tone. But that didn’t help because he won’t budge and glaring at his face doesn’t help too because I realized how handsome he is up close especially with his messy hair making him looks boyish. He’s good looking, it’s a fact every student in our college know but I never want to acknowledge it. But now, I can’t help but stare at his face from his eyes to his lips and I gulp uneasily. I mentally hit myself from thinking like that.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter