12. The Hidden Sincerity Part 2

The Flaws of Emotion (TFE)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

12. The Hidden Sincerity Pt. 2

A year ago, the night where I met Kyungsoo for the first time.

That night, I wasn't expecting people coming to our house so I was dumbfounded when I saw this unknown guy standing awkwardly behind a nice looking woman in front of our doorstep. I was told by my mom to open the door when the bell rings so I did and momentarily confused with the two people standing in front of me. 

“May I help you?” I ask and the lady smiled warmly at me. “ Hello, I'm Mrs Do Junah and we just moved here, the house next to you,” she pointed out and I glance at the direction. The house next to ours had been empty for almost four months after our previous neighbour left to the city. I did notice a moving truck a week ago but never encounter the two people in front of me now so it was a surprise to me.  

“I met your mother this morning and she invited us for dinner. I'm sorry for bothering you and also thank you for being so kind,” she spoke eloquently fitting her delicate features. I was flustered because I have no idea we’re having guests for tonight's dinner, especially when the guest is our new neighbour. 

Mom came behind me announcing her presence as she walked past me to greet Mrs Do with an enthusiastic smile. “ I'm glad you two came. Come in, come in and get yourself warm inside. I made something special for today's dinner,” she usher them both. 

I sidestep from the door to give space for them to walk in. Mrs Do take a step first followed by the guy behind. He seems a bit flustered when he saw me as his wide eyes look at me then he shifts his gaze to greet my mom. I didn't recognize him so I was curious. He looks fairly young, probably around my age. My mom leads the way to the living room and once they're inside, I close the door behind me. I spin around, standing awkwardly at the entrance while eyeing the two guests. 

Mrs Do has a lovely and gentle aura about her. She seems quite young to have such a grown up son, I assumed at the moment. Her warm smile plastered on her face contrasted from the boy beside her, whom has a blank face emitting seriousness. 

"Oh, I forgot to introduce you to my daughter. This is Hanna, she's my third daughter," Mom called me over to their side and patted my back when I'm closer to her. I nod politely at them.

"Hanna, they are our neighbour who just moved, Mrs Do and this boy is Kyungsoo. I believe he is the same age as you. You are 20 years old, right Kyungsoo?" Mom ask gently to which the guy whom I know the name now said yes. I was a bit startled hearing a deep voice from him because his voice doesn't even match his appearance. 

"That's nice to hear. Kyungsoo and Hanna can be friends. We are new here so we don't know many people and I hope someone can show him around,". Mrs Do look at me with a hopeful gaze. 

"Uh, I don't mind," I answer her, scratching my neck awkwardly. Well, actually I freaked out inside since I'm not exactly sure how to start a conversation with Kyungsoo as he looks at me and I look at him. We stared at each other for a few seconds before turning away. Ugh, this is awkward. 

"Yes, also come in to the dining room. I cannot let my guests waiting," mom ushered them to the kitchen, also instructed me to call for my younger sisters to have dinner. Dad will be home soon from work, she told me hushedly. I excused myself.

I ascend the stairs with a running thought of the new neighbour. Just in luck, I wasn't wearing pyjamas today, if not it will be really embarrassing to be seen in an inappropriate clothes not suited for someone who is expecting a guest. Well, not like I know that. Mom didn't even tell us that we are having guests for dinner. She likes to make her own decisions sometimes without consulting others and that irks me more than anything else.

Once I arrived in front of a door, I knocked on it and open it wide after hearing the soft sound of my sister permitting my entrance. My younger sister who is below me was lounging on her bed reading a beauty magazine while the youngest was seen to be playing with her phone. I caught a smile on her face as I heard a familiar tune coming out from the phone.

"Rawon, Raein, our neighbour is having dinner with us today and they are in the dining room now. Mom is calling for both of you to come down," I told them. They look up when I call for them.

Rawon put her phone aside, moves from her chair and stride to the closet beside her bed. "Really, then I need to change my clothes," she said. 

"Do we need to go down? I really don't want to meet new people," Raein said, her eyes still attached to the book in front of her. 

"Well, mom is not going to let you stay upstairs when there's guest around so if you don't want your ear to be pulled, you better come down," I warn her. She snorted at what I said, closing the magazine reluctantly and shove it under her bed. She then stand up and walk to the door. 

I left the door ajar, walking downstairs first followed by the sound of two pairs of footsteps from behind which I'm pretty sure Rawon is the one bouncing with light step while Raein is the one dragging her feet unwillingly. Both of them were much younger than me so even if they can be little devils sometimes, they still respect me as an older sister. Also because I was the type that didn't nag much compared to my other two older sisters. 

"By the way, do you know who are they?" Rawon asked curiously from beside me once we land at the bottom step of the stairs. I shrug my shoulders.

"Nah, never see them before. But now you ask me, I think I saw the boy from across my window last time. I didn't recognize him since I was barely awake at the time," I mused, realizing it must be the same guy whom I saw in such a messy state. 

Raein merely listen at the side, not even slightly interested in our short conversation. We enter the dining area and saw both of our guests were seated beside each other on the table. All three of us greeted them awkwardly before we went to the kitchen to help mum set the table. Most of the dishes had already been prepared so we only did little chores like pouring juice into the glasses and serve our guests. 

I sat on the chair opposite Kyungsoo while mom sat opposite Mrs Do. Raein and Rawon seated themselves beside me. Dad arrived soon after and gave us a small smile before shaking his hand with both of them. 

"Nice to meet you guys. Sorry I'm a bit late, was caught up in a traffic jam," Dad said. 

"Oh, no worries. I should be thankful to you two for inviting us to your house. It was really nice of you," Mrs Do said politely. 

"It's fine. That what is neighbour for, we welcome you two to the neighbourhood and hope you guys feel comfortable here. Lets eat before the food gets cold," Mom speak and motion for us to start eating. 

It's a simple meal but was still considered plentiful in our eyes since they covered most of the table with various dishes. While we were eating, mom continue to speak. "Oh, I have not introduce you to my two other children. The one beside Hanna is Raein and the next one is our youngest Rawon," they both nod at Mrs Do and she acknowledge them with a smile.

I stare at Kyungsoo across me, his face doesn't show much expression as he was more focused on the food in front of him. He didn't speak much ever since I saw him which in my opinion is his personality or he was just too shy for a first encounter. 

"You have such lovely daughters. They are all beautiful, it must be really easy to have daughters to help around the house. Kyungsoo here doesn't talk much but he really likes helping me in the kitchen," Mrs Do state with a warm tone. She looks at him with gentle gaze. 

The compliment she gave seems to brighten Raein a little bit and she now seem more enthusiastic compared to before. I thought she was just being nice, which is really kind of her to  compliment us when I thought the opposite of myself. 

"Wow, so you know how to cook? That is amazing, Kyungsoo," Mom's eyes brighten up after hearing that. Dad also hum in agreement. 

"Ah no no, Mrs Cho. I'm not a very good cook but I do like cooking and helping around is a part of my responsibility. Even though I'm not good, I'm trying to improve myself to be better at it" he waved his hand in embarrassment and make himself clear. 

"It's rare to see boys your age likes to cook and I still think you are amazing. Maybe next time you can cook for us," Mom said good naturedly. "It's my honour to do so though i'm not really confident with my dishes but I will be glad to make you something as a gratitude," he smiled warmly. 

"Oh, you had such a lovely son, Junah. I wish I had a son too," Mom coos beside me. I flinch inside upon hearing the statement, she always said that. I saw Kyungsoo's face changes slightly, a gloomy aura passed before a forced smile appeared on his face. Mrs Do also seem to quieten down for a moment before a strained chuckle comes out from her. No one seems to notice but I did and thinking back about it, now I finally understand the changes in their behaviour. 

"I heard you are the same age as Hanna, Kyungsoo. So where are you planning to enrol for university?" My dad interject while scooping some baked potatoes into his now empty plate. 

"Hongik University, I was accepted there and had already registered myself last week," he answered the question. Oh, he went to the same university as me, I almost blurted the words out but mom beats me to it. 

"Hanna is currently studying there. That's great, you two can walk there together," Dad smiled at me, anticipating me to agree with him.

"Yeah, sure," I mumble. I caught Kyungsoo staring at me across the table and then avert his gaze towards my dad. He put on a smile while saying,"That sounds good,".

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter