Chapter Seven

Should Time Stop

Chapter Seven

 
 
 

Winter 2015

 

 

Jimin dropped onto his worn brown couch, sighing and loosening his tie. It seemed to welcome him, giving softly in the all the right places, already familiar with this routine. Removing his glasses, Jimin rubbed the bridge of his nose, tired from his day in the office where he worked. Checking his watch, groaned happily, relieved to see that he still had an hour before it was time to head to Hoseok’s dance studio for practice. Deciding to take a quick nap, he turned his body, propping his feet on the couch arm, and leaning his head against a pillow. He closed his eyes and almost immediately drifted off.

***

“Jungkookie, you know it’s Tuesday, right?” The boy in question could hear Jin calling from the kitchen, where he could also smell the dinner the elder was making for himself. Jin was probably craning his neck through the window of space in front of the stove that opened up to the rest of the apartment, like he always did, to check the living room space and hallway for the younger. Well, he wouldn't see Jungkook there, because of coursehe knew it was Tuesday.

“Yeah, hyung!” he called after slipping on a black beanie and pushing open his bedroom door. “I’m already ready to go.” He reached over the counter from the living room and snatched a piece of food off the stove as he walked past, burning his fingers in the process. Cursing under his breath, he brought his fingers to his lips.

“That’s what you get. You should’ve come out earlier, I would’ve made you something.”

“Nah, I’m not very hungry. I’ll eat when I get back. Make me something, please?” Jungkook asked, doing his best aegyo. Jin rolled his eyes at the display, but Jungkook knew he would say yes.

“You’re not cute. But sure. Because I’m kind-hearted and amazing.”

“Uh-huh, sure you are,” Jungkook snickered, putting on his shoes.

“Yah, I don’t have to cook for you!” Jin threatened, brandishing his spatula.

“But you will!” Jungkook called back as he dashed out the front door. A moment later, he opened it again, popping his head in sideways to grin at the distraught Jin, aegyo on full blast.

“Because you’re the best hung,” he added cutely.

“That’s what I thought,” Jin lifted his eyebrows, once again brandishing his spatula. “Now get going or you’ll be late. And call your boyfriend, I bet he fell asleep again.” Jungkook frowned at the term boyfriend, but nodded anyway, once again shutting the door behind himself.

Heading towards the elevator, he checked his phone. Jimin would have usually texted him something gross and flirtatious by now. Jungkook sighed.

This guy. He’s always exhausted after work these days, especially since he got promoted to a writer’s assistant. Assuming he was asleep, Jungkook dialed Jimin’s number as he left the elevator. He patiently waited for him to pick up as he exited the building, catching the bus that would take him to the studio.

“. Am I late?” Jimin’s voice suddenly tumbled forth, sounding panicked and half asleep.

“Not yet, but you will be if you don’t get your up asap. See you at the studio.”

***

Jimin pushed open the doors, panting. He made a quick attempt to brush his hand through his disheveled hair, and adjust his hastily chosen sweat pants, relieved to realize he had just barely made it in time. Everyone was still in their own corners, warming up and chatting before Hoseok called everyone together.

Jimin looked around scanning the room for his own group. On one side was the EXO four. They were the eldest members of the studio, all but one older than even Hoseok himself, and they were a bit quirky. The eldest, Minseok, looked the youngest, with full cheeks, frequently spiky or tousled hair, and one of the shortest statures of anyone in the studio. Yixing was closest to Minseok, but he was the tallest of their group, and always appeared suspiciously high. He was one of the most polite people Jimin had ever met, though. Jongin and Sehun were born the same year as Hoseok, though a few months before him and a few months after, respectively. Jongin had bronze skin and a shy face, easily one of the most innocent, but when he danced, he seemed the least so, besides Jimin himself. The youngest had what Jimin liked to refer to as ‘Resting Face’, or RBF. Sehun was one of the friendliest, sassiest guys, but when Jimin first met him, he thought he seemed rude and aloof. No one was quite sure where the name EXO had come from, but one day it had just appeared and stuck; they even used it for performances and stuff these days. It was best to just not question some things...

In the center, practicing in front of the mirror, was another group, all of whom were in the same age range as as Jimin’s own. He paused to admire them. Mark was trick flipping, something Jimin himself could do a bit of, but their entire squad practiced at it and were much more skilled than he was. Mark was the oldest and most skilled of the group, but there were six others, all relatively friendly, though most older than Jimin himself. BamBam, Youngjae, Jr, Yugyeom, JB… Jimin’s gazed moved on curiously, realizing the seventh wasn’t there.

“Good morning, Sunshine! How nice of you to join us today!” A white haired man in harlem pants and a backwards snapback swaggered up to Jimin from the last corner, smirking.

Found him.

“Shut up, Jackson. Unlike you, I had work today,” Jimin snapped, still tired and cranky, not in the mood for Jackson’s usual antics.

“Yah, that’s hyung to you. And yeesh, I get paid for gigs, you know. Even underground performers gotta eat, and unlike you, I rap and dance,” Jackson scoffed, pretending to be offended, but his brown eyes glittered playfully.

“Oh, is that what you call your squawking?” Hoseok teased, strolling over in his shorts and bucket hat, and putting Jackson in a headlock. Noticing Jimin’s mood, Hoseok immediately dropped the younger, a concerned look on his face.

“What’s up? And don’t you dare play dumb with me, I'm your best friend and I ain’t stupid. What happened?”

Jimin stared at him, breathing in, then suddenly wailed, throwing his arms in the air, “I met him! I met the one …” he dropped his arms, hanging his head and planting his face into his hands, knowing he looked unexpectedly dejected for someone who had just announced such life altering news.

“Does that mean you’ll stop hitting on me?” Jungkook bumped into his shoulder as he strode up to the group. Jimin looked at him darkly from his hands as Jungkook looked him up and down. “And why do you look so depressed about it? Are they ugly or something? I thought you wanted to find your soulmate.”

“I did… but that’s the thing,” Jimin sighed, rubbing his eyes, “He didn’t believe me. I guess time didn’t freeze for him or something. He thinks I was mistaken. But, I know it froze!”

“Are you sure it wasn’t just a trick of the light or something?” Jungkook suggested.

“That’s exactly what he said,” Jimin glared at the younger. “But I know what I saw.”

“Yeah, the time freeze is something you can’t mistake. It’s unlike anything you’ll ever experience.” The group looked up at the deep voice. Taehyung had silently appeared, and Hoseok nodded at his comment.

“Tae’s right. I’ll never forget that moment.” The couple looked at each other affectionately, probably both remembering the day they met.

“Okay, but what am I supposed to do?” Jimin cut in impatiently. He knew he was completely different from his usual, bubbly, carefree self, and he could see the pity welling up in the faces of his friends. He didn't like it, but he he didn't know what to do either. They looked around at each other, obviously unsure what to tell him. Jackson was the one to break the uncomfortable silence.

“I don’t know, Jimin. I’ve never heard of this happening… I don’t think anyone has,” he said quietly. “But, if he’s your soulmate, you’re bound to see him again. Did you at least get his name?”

Oh, of course, “Aahh, that’s right! His name was Yoongi. Min Yoongi. Jungkookie-ah, I think he was friends with your hyung! I met him at Jin’s cafe, and I saw them talking when he got his drink…” Jimin trailed off, staring at Jungkook hopefully.

“Actually… wait, yeah. White hair, black earrings, kinda gave off a ‘Don’t talk to me’ kinda vibe?” Jimin nodded eagerly. “Weird. Yeah, I think I’ve seen him like once or twice. I think he’s close to my hyung’s boyfriend, Rapmon.”

“Wait, wait, wait, Rapmon as in Rap Monster? As in your hyung is Rap Monster’s soulmate?” Jackson interrupted, gesturing for everything to pause. “How did you never mention this?”

“I thought I did… but yeah, why?”

“What do you mean, why? Rap Monster is becoming a well-known name in rap! And your brother is dating him?”

“I mean, yeah, I know, I’ve listened to his stuff since before they met… But he’s just a normal guy. In fact, he’s actually kinda weird,” Jungkook scrunched his nose.

“Normal guy? Kinda weird?” Jackson exclaimed indignantly. “Dude, you’re ridiculous and this is hella dope. Introduce me to him sometime,” Jackson begged, grabbing Jungkook’s arm.

“Guys! Can you fangirl later?” Jimin finally cut in, still impatient. “I need help here… what do I do?”

“You met him at Jin’s cafe, and they’re friends, right? Jungkookie, why don’t you tell Jin about it?” Hoseok suggested.

“Excuse me. Are we ever going to get started?” The entire group looked up from their conversation at the four who had just approached.

“, right, I forgot where we were. Annyeonghaseyo, Yixing-hyung,” Hoseok nodded to the one who had spoken and smiled at the rest of the EXO group. Turning back to Jimin and Jungkook, he quickly added, “We can discuss this later,” before walking to the front.

“Annyeonghaseyo Jongin-hyung, Sehun-hyung, Yixing-hyung, Minseok-hyung,” the boys standing around all greeted their elders, bowing respectfully to each. Minseok and Yixing exchanged a glance, the latter nodding silently. To everyone’s surprise, Minseok turned to Jimin, placing a hand on his shoulder and smiling gently.

“Not to be nosy, or creepy, but I think I caught a bit of the conversation earlier, and I think I know of a similar occurrence… would you like to come to my place after this? I make a decent cup of coffee, and I’d love to share in case it’d be helpful for you… I don’t know if that’s weird, but you’re welcome to come.” Jimin stared at him, dumbfounded for a moment, before nodding slowly. Minseok was the quietest of everyone at the studio; he rarely went out of his way to socialize, especially with the youngsters. He looked pleased when Jimin agreed, however, and padded away, followed by Yixing. Sehun and Jongin looked at Jimin curiously before following their hyungs.

“That was… unexpected,” Jackson commented after they had left.

“I wonder what happened,” Jungkook added, staring after the short hyung.

“I have no idea… but come on. They’re gonna start without us,” Jimin ended the conversation, though he was also burning with curiosity. Two hours suddenly seemed like an eternity.

 
 
 
 


 
 

author's notes:

A note about formality.

In Korea, levels of formality are extremely important. When speaking to someone older than yourself, you never speak informally, and you would never call someone older than you by just their first name. Throughout this story you will notice that younger guys always call guys older than them "hyung" or "hyungnim" (which is slightly more formal) or by some other title. This can be tacked onto the end of the name or used by itself, and this also depends on how close you are to the person. Also, it varies by gender, so a younger girl would call an older guy that she's friends with oppa, and there's others as well (such as noona and eunni). Many words and phrases have formal and informal versions, and it is extremely important for those younger, or in a lower position, than someone else to use the correct formality, even when close to the other person. This includes "Yah," which is just an exclamation, but is informal, and to ever say this to someone of a higher status or age would be extremely rude and impolite. 

On that note, I am not Korean, and everything I know is information I've gathered from the internet. So, if I make a mistake, please, feel free to let me know. Also, feel free to add to this information in the comments section, as I know many international fans are often confused by the various nuances of the culture and levels of formality.

 

Vocabulary

Dongsaeng (동생): Younger sibling

Eomma (엄마): Mom/Mother

Hyung (형): Older brother/friend, used by males

Jjajangmyeon (짜장면): a noodle dish topped with a thick sauce made of chunjang (a salty black soybean paste when unheated), diced pork and vegetables, and sometimes also seafood.

-ssi (씨):  the most commonly used honorific used amongst people of approximately equal speech level

CLICK CREDIT BELOW FOR LAYOUT OWNER PROFILE