Chapter Four

Should Time Stop

Chapter Four

 
 
 

Fall 2014

 

Two figures wandered down the streets of Seoul late at night, the glaring lights of the city illuminating their path as they made their way home after a successful evening of performing. The taller padded forward, sporting black leather pants, a matching jacket, and white hair, contrasted with his lightly bronzed skin and in a style reminiscent of a rooster comb, while the shorter sauntered forward in ripped black jeans and a plain t-shirt, complimented by a similar leather jacket, with his white hair worn loosely flat, and small black hoops glistening on his ears. The shorter glanced up at his companion, noticing his slumped shoulders and slow pace.

“What’s up Rapmon? You’ve been down a lot recently, man. Everything alright?” he asked, hesitantly placing a gentle hand on the taller’s shoulder.

“I don’t know, Yoongi…” Rapmon mumbled as he tucked his hands into his pockets and shrugged, kicking a pebble. Yoongi stared at the rock as it bounced off a trashcan, then looked up, studying Rapmon’s face. They were both underground rappers, and had stuck together since befriending each other in high school. Yoongi was not the best with these things, but he knew Rapmon well enough to guess what was weighing him down.

“Is this about soulmates?” Rapmon flinched slightly at his best friend’s ability to read him so easily. “Yaah, don’t get down about this,” Yoongi turned and pushed Rapmon’s shoulder, making him stop and face him. “You know there’s someone out there. There’s someone for everyone.”

“But what if-”

“No. Don’t go overusing that big brain of yours,” Yoongi commanded, gently shaking Rapmon’s shoulders. “Your goddamn stellar IQ doesn’t mean you know everything. Let life take its course without stressing yourself out so much. No amount of doubting on your part will change anything.” Rapmon shrugged off Yoongi’s hands, pushing past him.

“Easy for you to say. You don’t care about these things,” he muttered and started forward once more. Yoongi stared at his back, considering hitting him. After a moment he sighed and hurried to catch up, softening as he watched the brooding figure of his friend.

Rapmon was the smartest guy Yoongi knew. He had been in the top one percent of students in the nation back in high school, and had made a name for himself in the world of underground music soon after. On stage, he was Rap Monster, the tough rapper who could spit lyrics like fire, and refused to take from anyone. Yoongi sighed, and a light smile touched the corner of his lips.

Yet here he is. Tough my . If only they knew what a softie he really is. Mmm, even Rapmon worries over love. Yoongi chuckled quietly to himself, and slung his arm around his friend’s shoulders, making a sudden decision he knew he wouldn't much like, but that might successfully take Rapmon’s mind off things for a while. “Hey, let’s go get a few drinks,” he grinned, flashing a rare smile, gums showing. Rapmon eyed him suspiciously- Yoongi hated going out. “Yah, don’t give me that look! Even I like to go out every once in awhile,” Yoongie asserted, jutting his chin forward defensively. He paused, his expression softening, “I know there’s nothing I can do- there’s nothing anyone can do, really- but I worry about you, man. Let’s take our minds off things. I know you had wanted to go home early tonight… but come on. Drinks on me.” Yoongi could tell Rapmon was surprised by the sudden sincerity, but his lips quirked up in a grateful smile anyway, and he hesitantly nodded, giving in. Yoongi lightly punched his shoulder.

“Good. Come on, it’s been a damn good night! We had that place lit . Brighten up. Let’s go!” Yoongi did his best to act excited, and he knew Rapmon only pretended not to know it was an act. Yoongi rarely did anyone favors, and Rapmon knew well enough to simply accept and appreciate the gesture.

“Where are we going?” Rapmon asked as they started forward once more.

“G-Dragon’s place, it’s usually still poppin’ at this time.” Glancing up at the taller to make sure he wasn’t paying attention, Yoongi slipped his phone out of his pocket.

To: G-Dragon

Hey man, you at the bar tonight?

From: G-Dragon

Of course Suga bb, wuz good? ;)

To: G-Dragon

I have a favor to ask of you…

***

“Heya cuties, what can I get for yah?” the rainbow haired man behind the counter winked at Yoongi and Rapmon as they walked up to the bar.

“Sup, G-Dragon-hyung,” Rapmon greeted him casually, the two clasping hands and bumping shoulders, clapping each other on the back. G-Dragon then turned to Yoongi, smirking.

“Well Suga, you’re looking sweet as ever. Miss me much?” he purred, leaning in and a finger underneath Yoongi’s chin seductively. Yoongi swatted his hand away, returning the smirk as a tall figure loomed up behind G-Dragon, grabbing him by the waist.

“Yah. None of that now,” he said, deep tone and masculine profile unmistakable despite the dim lighting.

“Hey T.O.P.-hyung” Yoongi nodded to him then turned back to G-Dragon, allowing a touch of annoyance to color his voice, “And don’t call me Suga. Leave my stage name for the stage.”

G-Dragon raised his hands, “Suit yourself.” Turning, he pecked T.O.P. on the lips and strolled away to help a customer, slapping the former’s as he went.

T.O.P. chuckled, brushing a hand through his tousled black hair, “Can I get you guys drinks?”

“Shots of soju, please,” Yoongi requested, slouching into a bar stool.

“I’ll just have a beer,” Rapmon protested, taking a seat as well.

“That won’t do,” T.O.P. shook his head, pouring them both shots of the stronger soju, winking as he passed them over. Rapmon sighed and accepted the drink, resigning.

“Cheers,” Yoongi lifted his glass towards Rapmon, the two friends clinking their glasses before throwing their heads back and downing the alcohol, grimacing at the taste. T.O.P. quickly pushed two more shots towards them, Rapmon failing to notice that Yoongi’s was only half full.

Before they could down the second round, G-Dragon returned, followed by a handsome man in a burgundy leather jacket, ruffled brown hair brushed away from his face, and looking a bit nervous. Yoongi couldn't help but wonder where he had found the guy, given such short notice, but let the question slide; it was usually better not to question the workings of G-Dragon.

“One more shot of that please, Cutie,” G-Dragon sashayed up to T.O.P, sliding an arm around his waist and slipping a hand into the back pocket of his pants. T.O.P. obligingly poured another glass, winking coyly at the new arrival as he pushed it towards him.

“Thanks” he awkwardly smiled, taking the shot and the seat next to Rapmon.

“Yoongi, Rapmon, this is my friend Suho. I invited him to come have a good time tonight, but we ended up being busier than I anticipated,” G-Dragon pouted, puffing out his cheeks. “So please, take care of him,” he suddenly flashed a mischievous smile before once again disappearing down the bar. T.O.P. and Yoongi exchanged a look before the latter turned back to his companions, plastering on a smile.

“Well then, welcome! Let’s drink.” The three downed their shots, T.O.P. quickly supplying yet another round, and once again only filling Yoongi’s half full. They continued on in this manner until Suho and Rapmon were comfortably tipsy, conversation flowing easily between the two. Yoongi had slowing drifted back, allowing the two to become absorbed in each other’s company.

“Well, that was easier than I thought it would be,” G-Dragon reappeared, leaning against the counter.

Yoongi nodded, “He’s been a bit out of sorts about the whole soulmate business, I figured it was about time to get him a little action. Who’s the guy?”

G-Dragon handed Yoongi a beer, which the latter accepted gratefully. “Just another hunk I know. And they don’t call him Su-Hoe for nothin’. His soulmate left him, and since then he’s been in the habit of finding hot, one night replacements,” G-Dragon wiggled his eyebrows suggestively, but his expression quickly turned to one of pity. “I feel kind of bad for the guy, honestly. He’s actually a total softie. I can’t even imagine… I don’t know what I would do if I ever lost Seung-hyunnie…” he trailed off, eyes following his man as he moved about the bar, serving drinks and interacting with customers. Yoongi simply hummed a response, sipping his beer. He was surprised to hear G-Dragon refer to T.O.P. by his actual name; the two usual went by their nicknames in public.

Soulmates are so weird. I don’t get it. Why should time stopping mean the person is right for you? What the hell kinda system is that anyway? Obviously it doesn’t always go right if Suho’s left him.   Yoongi took a swig from his bottle, frustrated. Why are people so obsessed with this? He continued drinking, glancing at Rapmon and Suho, who seemed to be getting closer by the minute. These two seem to be having a perfectly good time together. They’re even both softies, apparently, despite appearances. Why can’t they be together? Why can’t they be soulmates? Yoongi was becoming increasingly more agitated, especially because it was a topic that caused his friend so much grief. He lifted the beer to his lips to find it empty.

“Ugh. Yo, hyung, can I get another shot?” T.O.P. strolled over, raising an eyebrow.

“An actual one, this time?” he inquired, tilting his head.

“Please,” Yoongi groaned, beginning to feel the light blanket of alcohol envelope him, but wishing it would settle in faster

“If you say so,” T.O.P. complied, passing him a glass. Yoongi picked it up, looking at the clear liquid and grimacing.

“Why am I such a good friend?” he lamented, throwing back the alcohol then glaring at T.O.P, who was giving him a knowing look that he didn’t appreciate. “Just get me drunk, .”

Lips twisting into a smirk, the elder soon had another shot in front of Yoongi. Glancing back at Rapmon as he downed it, Yoongi nearly choked on the alcohol as he looked just in time to catch Suho pull Rapmon in for a kiss. Giggling- chuckling. Min Yoongi did not giggle- Yoongi appreciated the buzz he was feeling.

Well, at least that worked out as planned.

 
 
 
 


 
 

author's notes:

Dongsaeng (동생): Younger sibling

Hyung (형): Older brother/friend, used by males

Jjajangmyeon (짜장면): a noodle dish topped with a thick sauce made of chunjang (a salty black soybean paste when unheated), diced pork and vegetables, and sometimes also seafood.

-ssi (씨):  the most commonly used honorific used amongst people of approximately equal speech level

 

CLICK CREDIT BELOW FOR LAYOUT OWNER PROFILE