Chapter Thirteen

Should Time Stop

Chapter Thirteen

 
 
 

Winter 2015

 

 

Yoongi looked up at the building looming before him, tall and proud, the words ‘BigHit Entertainment’ displayed in large letters across the front. Not quite nervous but not as confident as he had been earlier that morning, he hesitated as he approached the doors. A coffee from Jin’s cafe gripped in one hand, Yoongi breathed out, watching his cloud of breath dissipate in the morning chill, reminding himself once again that this was for the best, a wonderful opportunity, really.

Pretending to believe what he told himself, Yoongi finally pushed open the glass doors, stepping into a warm, well lit room. Striding up to the front desk and informing the receptionist who he was there to see, he was directed to the elevator with instructions on how to find the correct office. A few minutes later, he found himself being waved into a room by a secretary, a polite smile attempting to hide the curious look in her eyes.

“Min Yoongi!” a voice boomed as he entered. “Please, take a seat,” the man who had spoken gestured towards a chair across from his own, facing the wide desk that occupied the majority of the room. He was a large man with oddly pretty eyes, wearing  a crisp suit and a smug look.

“Bang Sihyuk-hyung. Or what is it everyone here seems to call you? Bang PD-nim?” Yoongi casually plopped down, the corner of his mouth twisting down. “Can’t believe I agreed to work for you. Though, you know why I’m really here.” Sihyuk grinned broadly at this, eyes sparkling mischievously.

“It’s about time you did, Min Yoongi. And yes, yes. If the opportunity presents itself and you impress me enough, maybe I’ll consider making you into a little idol yourself,” Sihyuk winked. “We all know how solid you are in the aegyo department. Who knows, maybe you would become a heartthrob for teenage girls,” he fluttered his eyes mockingly.

Yoongi bristled at the heavy sarcasm. They had collaborated before, and Bang Sihyuk seemed to have a knack for rubbing Yoongi the wrong way, and always a little too gleefully at that.

“You and I both know I’ll never be in a sparkly boy group. I think I would prefer to be a little more Tablo-esque. Idols barely count as artists,” Yoongi sneered. Sihyuk just smirked.

“Well guess what, sweetheart, you’re writing for those shiny boy groups now,” Sihyuk seemed a little too delighted.

“God, what was I thinking,” Yoongi jokingly lamented. They had had this conversation countless times, Sihyuk having been pushing Yoongi to work for him for some time now. This time, however, Yoongi couldn’t win. Sihyuk was right. He was going to be writing music for idols.

“Well, jokes aside, it’s time to get to work. I already had my secretary send for your assistant, so they should be here soon. He’s very competent, and should serve you well.” Almost immediately after he had spoken, there was a knock at the door.

“Come in,” Sihyuk called. The door opened, and Yoongi made eye contact with the man who entered. Short, brunette, glasses.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Bang PD-nim,” the man bowed to the elder, then turned back to Yoongi. “Annyeonghaseyo. My name is Do Kyungsoo.”

***

“You’re probably wondering why I had you meet with me personally on your first day here,” Kim Young-min, the CEO of SM Entertainment, smiled at the new writer sitting across from him.

“Yes, I admit, I was a bit confused,” the man nodded, eyes flickering nervously. He had never been very successful at hiding his emotions, and he silently cursed that fact as he knew his new boss was watching him carefully.

“Well, it’s actually quite simple. I wanted to meet you myself. It’s not every day a well known rapper such as yourself comes to work for me, Kim Namjoon. Or, should I say, Rap Monster,” the CEO pressed his lips together, a disapproving look on his face. “I hope you know you will have to go by your actual name while you are here. Your purpose is to write songs that will make my idols famous, not yourself. Never forget your place,” his eyes narrowed threateningly. “Regardless of who you are outside of these walls, as long as you are within them, you only have the status of a writer.”

Rapmon struggled to maintain a straight face. He was taken aback. He had heard negative rumors about SM, but had not expected such a cold welcome right from the start. Unfortunately, because it was the largest company, he knew there was no better place to have his lyrics come to life, the idols that would sing them being some of the biggest in Korea. A twinge of uncertainty touched him after the CEO had spoken, however, and he once again wondered if it was worth picking SM over BigHit, where Yoongi had gone. BigHit was tiny, but they had a much better reputation.

No. SM is where I belong. I want my lyrics to actually be heard . SM has internationally renowned artists. BigHit barely exists. Rapmon reaffirmed his decision.

“Understood, sir.”

“Good.” There was a sudden knocking at the door. “Ah, that must be your assistant,” the CEO glanced behind Rapmon. “Come in!”

The door slowly opened, and a young man in a crisp white shirt entered, making eye contact with Rapmon. Rapmon tried to hold back a smile as the man’s eyes widened with recognition and slight wonder.

“A-annyeonghaseyo, CEO-nim, R-rap Monster-nim. My name is Park Jimin.”

 
 
 
 


 
 

author's notes:

OKAY, PERSONAL NOTE THIS TIME

I will be leaving for vacation tomorrow, and I will be out of the country for about 3 weeks. This is why I was especially anxious to get out all these chapters... so sorry <3 I hope you enjoyed getting three all at once (though, this is new to begin with, so I suppose there isn't a set schedule yet anyway), but that will probably be it for a few weeks. Also, hope you enjoyed that little plot twist! It actually was totally not what I had originally planned, but everything works out much better this way. ^ㅅ^ Actual ship moments should start happening soon, I promise.

Anyway, that's all. Love you guys so much. Even if you don't comment (lol, pretty much everyone), knowing that you're subscribed and seeing your views really is so motivating. Thank you thank you thank <3

Love,

May Greene

 

For a note about formality, see Chapter Six.

 

A note about the usage of names in the work place

I forgot to address this in chapter ten, when Jimin called Jongdae by his first name, but I think it's important enough to include now. As mentioned previously, formality is very important in Korea, and the workspace in no different. After a bit of research, I found that you never refer to someone by their actual name at work, even when you're familiar with each other (at least, in a company setting such as this one). It's considered rude to do so. You would instead refer to them by their title/position (ie CEO-nim). For this story, however, I decided to forgo that particular formality (at least to a certain degree) because I personally wouldn't even necessarily know how to name all of the positions, and because I thought it would be confusing for you the reader. I apologize to anyone who is familiar with Korean culture and noticed that right away.

 

Vocabulary

Annyeonghaseyo (안녕하세요): Hello [formal]

Annyeong (안녕): Hello [informal]

Appa (아빠): Dad

Bibimbap (비빔밥): Literally means "mixed rice". Bibimbap is served as a bowl of warm white rice topped with namul (seasoned vegetables) and gochujang (a red chili paste), soy sauce, or doenjang, a fermented soybean paste

Dongsaeng (동생): Younger sibling

Eomma (엄마): Mom/Mother

Hana, Dul, Set (하나,둘,셋): One, Two, Three (Sorta. Way out of my depth on this one, I highly recommend looking into the Korean number system for details)

Hyung (형): Older brother/friend, used by males

Jjajangmyeon (짜장면): a noodle dish topped with a thick sauce made of chunjang (a salty black soybean paste when unheated), diced pork and vegetables, and sometimes also seafood.

-ssi (씨):  the most commonly used honorific used amongst people of approximately equal speech level

 

CLICK CREDIT BELOW FOR LAYOUT OWNER PROFILE