Chapter Five

Should Time Stop

Chapter Five

 
 
 

 

Fall 2014

 

"Hyuuung, are you ready yet?" Despite his earlier teasing, it ended up being the elder who took the longest to get ready, and Jungkook was left waiting impatiently on the couch for him to finish.

"Yeah, yeah, coming." Jin walked into the small living room, lightly flicking the back of Jungkook's head as he passed the couch. The younger turned to glare at him, then changed his mind, realizing what had taken the elder so long.

"Ooh, hyung, you look y," Jungkook wiggled his eyebrows at him suggestively. "Who are you trying to impress?"

"Ha. Nobody. I just always look this good," Jin smirked and leaned down to pinch his cheeks. Clad in a red and black blazer, his red tinted hair styled carefully to appear messy but y, and clearly having put time into makeup meant to look like it didn't take forever (but obviously did), Jungkook had to admit that he looked damn good. But that didn't mean he always did. And even if he had, Jungkook didn't feel like boosting his ego.

"Sure hyung," he rolled his eyes instead, rising from the couch.

"Do you have your cellphone? Is it charged? Have you eaten at all? It's bad to drink on an empty stomach, you know. Do you need a snack? I'm gonna go grab one," Jin suddenly fussed, pausing before they could leave. Jungkook stared at him, never failing to be astounded by his sudden transformations from cool, handsome hyung, to fussing eomma Jin.

"Yes. Yes. I snacked. No thank you," he replied, shaking his head in wonder and watching as Jin walked to the kitchen to grab some snacks. Coming back, still in the midst of shoving food in his mouth, Jin nodded, indicating he was ready to leave. Flipping the light switch as they left, the two brothers strode out the door, ready for an evening of alcohol and dancing.

***

"Jungkookie!" a deep voice boomed out over the din of music and countless drunken voices.

“Taehyung-hyung!” Jungkook had spotted the man waving at them, returning the gesture as the other’s mouth formed a box shape, beaming at the brothers’ approach. He rose from his place at the bar, holding a beer and a man slightly shorter than himself. Jin couldn't help but admire the pair. Taehyung had silver hair with lavender undertones, a leather jacket, and a confident air about himself, while the second man had a long face, reddish bronze hair, and wide smile. The bronze haired man seemed terribly familiar, but Jin couldn’t place why.

As they reached the bar, Jungkook and Taehyung grinned at each other before proceeding to perform a complicated series of odd twisting movements, leg kicks and some hand flailing that Jin couldn't quite keep up with but presumed was some strange handshake. Upon completing the strange greeting ritual, Jungkook turned to the man who Jin was still struggling to remember- because he knew, he knew that he had met the guy somewhere- and offered a more normal handshake.

"You must be his soulmate. I’m Jeon Jungkook.

And then it hit Jin like a brick- how on earth had it taken him so long?- and he bounced forward without thinking, pointing at the man who had been about to reply. “Oh, oh, OH. Jung Hoseok-ssi! We just met at the grocery store today! I knew I recognized you. You changed your hair, though. It totally threw me off. Also, sorry, I totally just cut you off, didn't I?” Taehyung and Jungkook both turned to look at him as he ran his hand through his hair sheepishly, then back at Hoseok, who simply waved it off good naturedly.

"Small world. And yeah, I actually had an appointment to have it colored almost immediately after we met. Kim Seokjin-ssi, right? I didn't expect you to be Tae's bestie's hyung. How old are you, then?”

“Ah, I’m much older than Kookie. I'm turning twenty-five this year. Also, call me Jin.”

“Oh, you’re older than me! I’m twenty-three. I guess that would make you my hyung,” Hoseok buzzed happily. Though Jin might usually be bothered by such presumptuous familiarity so soon, he somehow couldn't find it in himself to mind, Hoseok’s bright personality infectious, and warm, and somehow comfortable. He found himself chuckling and nodding instead.

“Alright, well, now that we all know each other, let's drink!” Hoseok exclaimed, clapping his hands together, then gesturing for everyone to grab seats at the bar. “Beers? Or would you prefer to kick this evening off with something more exciting? Soju?”

Jin shook his head at the devilish grin on the younger’s face. “Let's start off easy, yeah?” he chuckled. “Wouldn't want to get too plastered before we can even have a good time, and Kookie here is a light weight-”

“Am not!”

“-So, it's still early, let's start with a few beers. We can get wasted later,” he finished with a wink.

“A reasonable man, I see. Alright, beers for now,” Hoseok’s smile widened and he turned to call out to a rainbow haired bartender, “G-Dragon-hyung, can we get a round of beers over here?”

“Of course, Hobi baby” Jin watched as G-Dragon slinked towards them, blatantly checking them out as he approached. Stopping on Jungkook, he gave the maknae a sultry look, raising an eyebrow and biting his lip, “And what’s your name, kitten?”

“Jeon Jungkook,” he replied curtly, clearly unimpressed.

Pouting at the evident disinterest, G-Dragon handed each of them a beer. “Hobiii, why’d you bring one that y if he’s so cooold?” he sulked, earning a chuckle from the other.

“I didn’t, Tae did,” he said, pulling Taehyung against himself and planting a kiss on his cheek as the younger giggled. “But calm down. Your boy toy is over there anyway,” Hoseok jutted his chin in the direction of another bartender that Jin hadn't noticed before. He was tall, and broad, and handsome, and seemed to be making his rounds, ensuring that every glass was full.

“True,” G-Dragon watched him for a moment, smirking, “Damn, I can’t wait to tap that fine later tonight.”

“Oookay, that’s enough, go help someone else,” Hoseok wrinkled his nose, shooing G-Dragon away. They watched him traipse off before awkwardly glancing back at each other. Hoseok was the only one who seemed unfazed, despite being the one who sent him away. “Sorry about that. He’s always like that. T.O.P. is his soulmate, but neither of them mind flirting around or random hookups,” Hoseok rolled his eyes, “they’re weird.”

“How do you know them?” Jin asked, Hoseok’s mutual familiarity with them piquing his curiosity.

“Well, you see, Tae and I were looking for partners to have a four-so-”

“HYUNG,” Taehyung quickly interjected, ears and cheeks flushing red, and his eyes shooting daggers at Hoseok. “We met them here. Hobi had seen them around, because this is a pretty popular bar, and they of course own it, and his dance crew used to come here a lot. That’s all.”

“Oh, I see…” Jin awkwardly nodded, taken aback by how open Hoseok was. And he called G-Dragon weird…

As they continued chatting, however, both Jin and Jungkook were quickly drawn in by Hoseok’s bright personality, complemented by the even odder Taehyung. After a story detailing the events of the time the latter talked Jungkook into participating in a harebrained attempt at crashing every room in a noraebang venue (and actually managing to convince many of the inhabitants to allow them to participate in a song with them, before getting caught and kicked out), the entire group was trying to keep their sides from splitting, tears of laughter rolling down their cheeks.

Jin was confounded by the existence of Taehyung and Hoseok, both making rather ridiculous- though incredibly friendly- characters, and was hardly surprised that they were soulmates. Taehyung was constantly making odd faces and gestures, while telling the most delightfully horrifying stories, goofing off and completely comfortable in his own skin, while Hoseok seemed to never stop laughing, dancing around and making jokes. Their liveliness was infectious, as was the alcohol, and Jin and Jungkook were soon goofing around as well, the laughter from the group never ceasing.

“So, how did you two meet?” Jin inquired, admiring the couple.

“Ah, well, you already know I own a dance studio, right? Tae came to be a student. It was love at first sight,” Hoseok cackled at his own joke, and Taehyung picked up the thread, rolling his eyes.

“I’m actually an elementary school teacher- I love children- but I used to dance a bit back in high school. Given that my job doesn’t take too much time- thank goodness I don’t teach high school- I decided to pick it up again as a hobbie. When I heard that an old member of Neuron- they’re actually quite well known underground, you know- owned a dance studio, I figured that would be the best place for me to get back into it. And you know how it goes from there. I walked in, time froze, I decided to stick around,” Taehyung smiled his box smile, pulling Hoseok in for a quick peck. Turning back, he winked at Jungkook, adding, “Also, Jungkookie, I know you aren’t interested in soulmates or anything, but there’s this really cute guy at the dance studio that I think you might like. And I know you can dance.”

“Are you talking about my Jiminie? Don’t you think he would be a bit much for Jungkookie?” Hoseok looked at Taehyung, clearly doubting the suggestion.

“Kook is friends with me, isn’t he?” Taehyung shrugged. “It was just a thought.”

“Don’t worry, I’m definitely not interested in anyone, I’m pretty certain I’m not gay, and I don’t think I would have time to commit to dancing. I just started college.” Jungkook finally interjected, dismissing the idea.

“Alright, alright. But speaking of dancing, what’re we doing here? Let’s go dance!” Hoseok practically bounced out of his seat, pulling Tae, who quickly turned and grabbed Jungkook, out to the dance floor. Jin laughed at the little chain they formed until he was suddenly jerked forward by Jungkook’s hand latching onto his shirt.

“Hyung, you aren’t getting out of this,” Jungkook grinned his bunny smile as Jin stumbled forward, caught in their momentum. Realizing he had no other choice, he accepted and Jungkook released him, trusting Jin to follow them. Losing them in the crowd for a few moments, Jin pushed forward, looking around. Spotting them, he groaned inwardly.

Hoseok, Taehyung, and Jungkook had just started dancing, but they were already earning stares. Not only were they tipsy and just a bit shameless, none of them were kidding when they said they could dance, especially Hoseok. They looked like gods, moving sensually to the music, and Hoseok suddenly pulled Taehyung closer. Moving together in perfect rhythm, the couple shared an intimate moment, staring into each other’s eyes, before breaking apart once again, remembering where they were. Jin looked away, feeling like he had intruded in something he shouldn’t have, and Jungkook caught his eye, waving him forward.

“Hyung, come on! Dance!” he giggled, knowing full well why Jin was still only awkwardly swaying to the music. Trudging closer, Jin tried to protest, but was cut off by Hoseok.

“Come on! You can’t really be that bad,” he smiled encouragingly, getting low with the music and then making a face. “Besides, who cares?” he added, throwing his arms into the air.

You asked for it… Jin finally caved, and started doing his signature move- something he and Jungkook referred to as the Traffic Dance. Arms striking through the air in an almost militaristic fashion, Jin stepped with every swing of his arm, looking uncannily like a man controlling traffic. The two who had never seen the dance before burst into laughter, nearly falling over as tears streamed from their eyes.

“YAH! I told you I couldn’t dance!” Jin yelled at them, laughing despite himself.

“No, no, it’s okay. I’m glad you did. Show me how you do that,” Taehyung straightened up, attempting to stop laughing. Jin showed them each move, and the four began dancing around in sync, all holding back tears from their fits of giggling. Eventually he also showed them his Dislocated Shoulder Dance and Flapping Dance, and they all dissolved in laughter as they tried to imitate the outrageous moves.

“Ah, you’re a funny hyung, you know that?” Hoseok said, wrapping an arm around Jin’s shoulder as he moved his hips to the beat, laughing.

“Yeah! We should do this more often!” Taehyung agreed, lightly punching Jin’s shoulder. “And you should really come to the studio. It’ll be so much fun! And you’re so good!” he added, turning to Jungkook.

“Ah, maybe. I can’t think of the last time I had this much fun. I kinda miss dancing,” Jungkook grinned, finally caving.

“YAAAAS, JUNGKOOKIE, JOIN THE DARK SIDE!” Hoseok chanted, throwing his other arm around Jungkook, then suddenly stopped, a serious look on his face. The others paused, wondering what was wrong. Slowly turning towards Jungkook, Hoseok placed a hand on either of his shoulders and looked at him, eyes widening.

“What?” Jungkook asked, slightly panicked.

“Jungkook… don’t you realize…? With you… WE’LL HAVE KOOKIES!” Hoseok suddenly burst out laughing, the other’s breathing a sigh of relief as they realized he was just being dumb. “PERRRFECT, JOIN THE DARK SIDE, WE HAVE KOOKIE.” Hoseok couldn’t stop laughing at his own joke, and the others tried to hold back their own laughter, instead pretending to groan in pain at his ridiculousness. Eventually, they were all holding onto each other, holding back mirthful tears.

“Jesus, you guys are weirdos. Not that I'm complaining,” Jin grinned, shaking his head and chuckling. “But hey, anyone know where the bathroom is? Any more of this and I’m gonna pee my pants.”

“Yeah, it’s over there,” Taehyung gestured to the side of the room, breathing deeply in an attempt to stop giggling. Jin nodded in thanks, and made his way over.

I’m glad I came. This has been such a good night.

 
 
 
 


 
 

author's notes: 

 

Dongsaeng (동생): Younger sibling

Eomma (엄마): Mom/Mother

Hyung (형): Older brother/friend, used by males

Jjajangmyeon (짜장면): a noodle dish topped with a thick sauce made of chunjang (a salty black soybean paste when unheated), diced pork and vegetables, and sometimes also seafood.

-ssi (씨):  the most commonly used honorific used amongst people of approximately equal speech level

 

CLICK CREDIT BELOW FOR LAYOUT OWNER PROFILE