Chapter Ten

Should Time Stop

Chapter Ten

 
 
 

Winter 2015

 

 

Yoongi stretched his limbs, reveling in the softness of his mattress before wriggling further into his siberian white goose down comforter, no desire to get out of bed. Peeking out from his haven of warmth and comfort, he glared at the little red digits insisting it was time for him to get up. There was nothing he hated more in the morning than his alarm clock.

Groaning, he finally kicked his blankets off and slumped out of bed, toes sinking silently into the moroccan shag rug adorning the dark hardwood floor. Shuffling into a pair of worn slippers, he made his way to the bathroom, boxers the only other article of clothing on his pale body. Yawning and scratching his head, he proceeded to brush his teeth before jumping in the shower. He couldn’t stand feeling like his body was clean while his mouth still smelled of morning breath, so teeth always came first.

Stepping out of the shower when he was finished, Yoongi wrapped a silk towel around himself, using another to partially dry his hair. After blow drying it and applying a bit of product, he styled it into a neat part and was about to step out of the bathroom when he paused, considering his reflection. He reached up, the small black hoops hanging from his ears, unsure whether or not to remove them. He hadn’t been told he needed to, and they were relatively inconspicuous, so he decided to leave them be. He felt without his earrings.

Returning to his room, he stepped into his walk-in closet, choosing a black blazer and an oxford blue top for his first day in the office.

Hmph, Sihyuk-hyung better not leave me with an incompetent assistant, Yoongi grumbled to himself as he slipped his arms into the sleeves of the blazer, padding to the kitchen in the process. Finished dressing, he checked his reflection in a set of floor to ceiling windows occupying an entire wall, ignoring the still dark morning view of Seoul splayed out below, already accustomed to it’s splendor. Satisfied with his outfit, he turned back to the spacious room, debating whether to eat now, or grab something on his way to work. Checking his watch, he opted for the latter, not in the mood to deal with a mess or put in any real effort so early. Grabbing his keys and bag off the black marble island counter, he left, knowing just where to stop on his way.

***

Jimin walked into the building, dressed in a clean white button up and black slacks, his usual attire for the work day. Steaming coffee in hand, chocolate brown satchel hanging from his shoulder, he greeted everyone he passed, his usual smile already plastered on his face. He rode the elevator to the fourth floor and made his way to his desk, dropping his belongings onto it and relaxing into his seat.

“Annyeong! New boss today,” Jimin looked up at the grinning figure leaning against the wall of his cubicle, returning the smile. The man had curly brown hair, brushed into neat waves, a lean figure clothed in a grey button up and slacks, and was shorter than even Jimin.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Jongdae-sunbae. And I know, I’ve heard he’s really good. CEO-nim has been trying to get him for a while now, apparently. He better not be a total , though” Jimin groaned as he said the last part, leaning back and holding his chest, feigning pain. “I don’t know what I would do.”

Jongdae snickered wickedly, “Yeah, good luck. Geniuses are rarely nice. But I mean, hey, who knows, maybe he’ll like you and you can move up in the food-chain around here. Just don’t ,” Jongdae teased, sticking his tongue out.

“Sunbae, don’t jinx it!” Jimin whined jokingly. Just then, the head secretary, a woman in her late forties who worked for the CEO himself, sent for Jimin.

Wait, the CEO? Why is he dealing with this directly? Isn’t this someone in the personnel department’s job? Maybe the guy knows the CEO personally? Oh god, but why do I have to go see them both? His stomach fluttered nervously and he rose, glancing at Jongdae with a look of mock panic before walking to her desk, situated just outside of the CEO’s office.

“Annyeonghaseyo,” he bowed politely.

“Annyeong. You may go in, he’s waiting for you,” she smiled kindly, gesturing towards the door. Jimin nervously stepped up to it, surprised at how large the knot in his stomach had grown in just a few minutes.

Calm down, it’s not like you’ve never met the CEO before. And your new boss can’t be that bad. It’s fine. You’re fine, Jimin comforted himself with a quick pep talk before knocking.

“Come in,” a voice drifted from the other side of the door, and Jimin gulped, hesitantly pushing it open. As he stepped inside, he made eye contact with the man sitting across from the CEO.

Oh. Oh my goodness. It’s him.

 

 
 
 
 


 
 

author's notes:

For a note about formality, see Chapter Six.

 

Vocabulary

Bibimbap (비빔밥): Literally means "mixed rice". Bibimbap is served as a bowl of warm white rice topped with namul (seasoned vegetables) and gochujang (a red chili paste), soy sauce, or doenjang, a fermented soybean paste

Dongsaeng (동생): Younger sibling

Eomma (엄마): Mom/Mother

Hyung (형): Older brother/friend, used by males

Jjajangmyeon (짜장면): a noodle dish topped with a thick sauce made of chunjang (a salty black soybean paste when unheated), diced pork and vegetables, and sometimes also seafood.

-ssi (씨):  the most commonly used honorific used amongst people of approximately equal speech level

Sunbae (선배): Used to address senior colleagues or mentor figures, e.g. students referring to or addressing more senior students in schools, junior athletes more senior ones in a sports club, or a mentor or more experienced or senior colleague in a business environment.

 

CLICK CREDIT BELOW FOR LAYOUT OWNER PROFILE